Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    One thing that has been bothering me about my build for you, @creativemetaphor, is that when you place a ladder next to an outside wall, you get a little black square (even if the ladder is white). Look on the tower next to the three long windows:
    I don't think I had ever noticed that before. Perhaps it's because I'm not always very observant, or maybe it's because I usually have darker outside walls so it doesn't show up that well.

I think I see why that happens; it has to do with the clipping that's inherent in some of the game objects. Does it happen with all ladders? I think there are two or three.

But how VERY frustrating. I hope you're able to find a solution that's satisfactory for you!
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    @creativemetaphor - I always put the ladders in the corners so that the hole is in the corner of the room. I know Sims won't accidentally fall down the hole, but in real life, that would be a big safety concern! If you've been thinking of getting the Worlds of Wonder set, then I'll see how those flag pieces look. I'll keep this save with those 3-story oarsman columns, just in case we have to return to it.

@ADWilson - I returned to your build today and added more curtains and rugs. I also put a couple of those LL lights on the lot, so you can tell me what you think of the changes.
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    edited April 2017
    @MiaSkywalker Oh no!!! I'm sorry, that's so frustrating but at least you're learning a lot, right?

@ciane I usually just put a railing next to the ladder so it looks safer :mrgreen:

@MiaSkywalker

Okay, so I've finished the kitchens. I've noted the place I left for your alchemy table, and I'm very happy with how the cistern turned out! I didn't put the fire fog emitter in the fireplace but one is intended to go under that grill if you like :)
    Kitchen%201_zpsa7odmdcn.jpg
    Kitchen%202_zpsw84lqbgp.jpg
    Kitchen%206_zpsuuzb95ic.jpg
    Kitchen%203_zpsnduzma5b.jpg
    Kitchen%204_zpsyzbpeglf.jpg
    Kitchen%205_zps3nr2ba4b.jpg
    Kitchen%207_zpsozv8gskv.jpg
    Kitchen%208_zpsrbb7rauv.jpg
    Kitchen%209_zpszblxbb0x.jpg

And here's the "Chamber of Forbidden Knowledge" :lol: so you can put your spellbook in that niche :)
    Spells_zpsjedv05a1.jpg
    Spells%202_zps1y6j73xj.jpg

And a couple shots of the Lord's bedchamber and bath
    LordsChamber%202_zps1oaeaxga.jpg
    LordsChamber%201_zpsx82wcr0z.jpg

LordsBath_zpsbdalik8o.jpg

I kept playing with the upper floor yesterday and rearranged it a bit. It now has the Lord's suite with bath, and an Heir's suite with bath, and then two additional bedrooms with a shared bath.
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @ciane I got back to work on the Modern Deco House (working title)

I did some landscaping out front
    Screenshot-26_zpsdwclih4y.jpg
    Screenshot-28_zpsrgxscxgd.jpg
    Screenshot-27_zpsdxn4mheb.jpg

I have most of the first floor worked out. Let me know what to change. I'm tying to keep it to three colors with a few surprise accents. I hope you like it.
    Screenshot-21_zpsogdohtgd.jpg
    Screenshot-20_zps7c92b7wh.jpg
    Screenshot-25_zps1vwrbv6p.jpg
    Screenshot-24_zps5gcvoe5t.jpg
    Screenshot-22_zpszygem1mg.jpg
    Screenshot-17_zpsc8kirnea.jpg

There will an office on this floor also with stairs leading to the basement. Instead of a half bath, I hid an all-in-one by the stairs (no pic yet)

I have the upstairs divided into two bedrooms and a family/sitting room where the tv will go.

Do you want anything specific in the basement? I was thinking a laundry room and maybe what ever skill things you would like.

• Options
    @creativemetaphor & @Kgaff:

Oh woaawoo! Those builds are awesome! Creative, I'm so excited to be able to play the castle you're building! Every part of it makes me grin in anticipation. :) I love the way you did that cistern area. That's not something I would have ever thought to do. Oh, hey. Are you going to store something in that chest? Because, you know, you can. :) (I found out the hard way that anything put in the fridge stays with the family and not the build, but fortunately, what is put in the chests stays with the build. So it's a good way to transfer things like produce and collectibles from one family to another.)

Kgaff, wow! Yours is the kind of build I can never do, because I just can't think that way. The combination of different windows, the different textures on the outside... those are all things that I just don't have the right kind of... I'm not sure. I personally LOVE what you're doing for Ciane, but it's not something I could ever build as well as you are. The combination of furniture is very cool. What rug is that? It looks familiar. Is it from ITF?
  • Options
    @Ciane: Don't know why I forgot to mention YOUR build, but even without EPs and SPs, it pretty much takes my breath away. It's funny: I noticed when building a very basic starter house for my testing Sim that the greenhouse windows are the cheapest, yet they almost always look great! (Although, not in a Victorian build, I must say.)

I love the clean lines, and the stark black, white, and red. It's modern and futuristic, yet feels like it would be comfortable to live in.

That little glass gnome made me laugh when I saw it. :lol: I have no idea why, except that I always find the gnomes in the game amusing.

(I once had a household where there were at least 30 or 40 gnomes of varying types wandering around the grounds. It was hilarious once when they were all gathered on the front lawn in a mass. The vampire gnomes sometimes attack the other gnomes, which is creepily amusing. Or maybe amusingly creepy. All of those gnomes had been generated spontaneously by the game. The game certainly has a lot of different kinds of gnomes!)
  • Options
    The outside looks so shiny and fresh. I love all the pretty colored flowers and bushes around the house!

Inside, I think the wood dates it. It has a very retro look to it. Maybe a white or gray wood and/or metal would make it seem more like the outside.

I love the shiny bar stools and dining room chairs, that floor, the lights, and all your furniture choices.

Interesting rug combinations under the table. I like the shape and the color, but I'm not excited about that pattern on the rug as it gets cut off and off center. Maybe switch it with the curtains. Also, I'm not sure what pattern is on the table top, but just a plain top that matches the chair frames would be perfect for me.

I don't care for a checked pattern and usually only it use it for bathroom floor tiles. Maybe just a solid blue instead (on the kitchen walls)?

I've never seen lockers MOOed under cupboards or cupboards MOOed over lockers before. That's an interesting look I'll have to play with sometime myself! :smile:

A laundry and rec room for skilling in the basement sounds perfect.

It's really coming along. You've done such a great job on everything. I'm really missing my PC and want to play with all my new lots!
  • Options
    The outside looks so shiny and fresh. I love all the pretty colored flowers and bushes around the house!

Inside, I think the wood dates it. It has a very retro look to it. Maybe a white or gray wood and/or metal would make it seem more like the outside.

I love the shiny bar stools and dining room chairs, that floor, the lights, and all your furniture choices.

Interesting rug combinations under the table. I like the shape and the color, but I'm not excited about that pattern on the rug as it gets cut off and off center. Maybe switch it with the curtains. Also, I'm not sure what pattern is on the table top, but just a plain top that matches the chair frames would be perfect for me.

I don't care for a checked pattern and usually only it use it for bathroom floor tiles. Maybe just a solid blue instead (on the kitchen walls)?

I've never seen lockers MOOed under cupboards or cupboards MOOed over lockers before. That's an interesting look I'll have to play with sometime myself! :smile:

A laundry and rec room for skilling in the basement sounds perfect.

It's really coming along. You've done such a great job on everything. I'm really missing my PC and want to play with all my new lots!

Okay, I'll make those changes you mentioned and get some new pics.

I didn't know how the locker would look, I was going for something that would like a pantry cabinet, sort of tall to fill the space.

• Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    edited April 2017
    I deleted everything, I was having one of those moments :D

I checked every page and every spoiler and you all are very creative and talented! Wonderful builds!
    Post edited by FairyGodMother on
  • Options
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving us such a nice comment @charlotteprice. We appreciate it.
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @ciane I like the exterior! The interior is nice too, sleek with a fun retro feel. The colors and the rug under the television set makes me think of a movie theater. :)
  • Options
    I did just a small bit more in game today. I added a hot tub that my sim wanted and added more of that block fence from wall to house by the parking. I think you'll like it. I had to quit without saving just now as the repro guy was on his way over. I thought I had a mod that let me pay when I got a pop up warning, but apparently that's only on my PC and not my laptop. So, I'll just have to remember to pay those bills when I open the game back up.
  • Options
    Play testing has gone well, but one sim doesn't want to use the mirror over either sink. It doesn't seem to matter if I swap out the sinks or mirrors. Maybe only having one space there is a problem or a fence or curtain right next to to the sink. I could MOO a mirror in over the dresser and that worked fine because the dresser is pushed into the corner a bit more than normal and the mirror set forward a bit, not on the back edge. I haven't noticed this problem before and I've played with some small bathrooms. I might have to put in counters that I can set back into the walls and try that. Normal counter spacing wasn't working for me.
  • Options
    @ciane UPDATE time!

I made the changes you mentioned, see if this works better for you

Kitchen

I changed the walls in the kitchen to blue, using the same wall as outside on the curved area. When I did that, the cabinets looked terrible so I went with blue and white. The locker didn't work with that change, so I popped one of the tall dressers in there instead.

Dining room

Changed the color of the rug, made the table and chairs wood and added a texture to the curtains to break up the solid red
    Screenshot-36_zpsp8mzylrd.jpg

Living room

Changed the walls to the same as the dining room, added a hint of blue/gray to match the floors. Added a roman shade to the window by the door.
    Screenshot-32_zps9abkop0r.jpg
    Screenshot-33_zpszmstojr4.jpg

This is the downstairs office, still a work in progress, you can see the all-in-one in the niche by the stairs
    Screenshot-40_zps6q673rw3.jpg

Screenshot-41_zpslv4aavyl.jpg

I did get to work on the upstairs also

The master bedroom all done up in romantic red and soothing gray
    Screenshot-44_zpsbhxx8brh.jpg
    Screenshot-43_zpszfimntk8.jpg

I made the second bedroom a kids room, space theme
    Screenshot-50_zpsomgrksh6.jpg
    Screenshot-49_zpspwuvkiry.jpg

Let me know what you think! :)

BTW this place is well over 100,000 simoleons now, I'm using high price furnishings.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Kgaff wrote: »
    BTW this place is well over 100,000 simoleons now, I'm using high price furnishings.
    Haha! Poor Ciane! We keep making her all these expensive homes. :lol:

I think this house is REALLY nice. I have to admit that the blue and white looks very nice, probably better than it did before. (Although I think I might have liked it before, too.) Certainly the kitchen looks very sleek and modern.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @kgaff - I am loving it! It looks so much more like the outside now. Aw well, the budget was blown as soon as we saw that house, wasn't it?

I really love the change to the kitchen too! And the green and blue bedroom is great. Love the bedroom and office furnishings too.
  • Options
    Play testing has gone well, but one sim doesn't want to use the mirror over either sink.

I ran into that problem my first house in Monte Vista. None of the mirrors in the house would work, I ended up moving my sims and building a new house. Maybe try saving it to the library and placing it again and see if that helps?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @kgaff what about just putting a small one square room with a door as a pantry instead? Maybe one of the partially glass doors so you can get a peek at what's inside? You can even put one square wide shelves and pantry stuff like cook books, flour, etc.

I do LOVE the aurora skies shelves over the dressers in those pass-through nooks. Love!
  • Options
    Play testing has gone well, but one sim doesn't want to use the mirror over either sink.

I ran into that problem my first house in Monte Vista. None of the mirrors in the house would work, I ended up moving my sims and building a new house. Maybe try saving it to the library and placing it again and see if that helps?

I thought it had to do with missing foundation and that they must want to go down one level to use the mirror from ground level for some weird reason. Adding a mirror on the top floor above the dresser works, but adding mirrors in an open space on the main floor doesn't. I really liked the cut out look under the ivy, but I even added foundation to see if that made a difference. (It didn't.) I did use CFE for the solar panels on the roof, which should not have affected any lower levels. But, CFE can do unseen manipulation. So, I'll try leveling my level floor with CFE next time I go in game.
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Sorry for the quiet weekend, had a lot to get done around the house, but I did get a little finished to show - here's an Oratory for giving/listening to speeches :)
    Oratory%202_zpsnu5posds.jpg

I tried to minimize the visibility of the mic with some candles - but as you can see it's still functional
    Oratory%201_zps7ad2c21j.jpg
    Oratory%203_zps5k3shyzl.jpg
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Sorry for the quiet weekend, had a lot to get done around the house, but I did get a little finished to show - here's an Oratory for giving/listening to speeches :)

I tried to minimize the visibility of the mic with some candles - but as you can see it's still functional
    I never even thought of doing that! How clever!

I also had never thought of using fencing that way - it's quite effective! Sometimes I feel like my own deco is kind of random, compared to what I see other people do. :)

I have been working hard on the last bits of your build. The problem is that I have to go back and forth between DV (to make changes), and my test world (for testing). You can't test the "live" build, because it sets everything as "discovered". There's a way to reset it, I think, but it's easy to forget, and this just makes it so I'm less likely to.

In some ways, my way of doing it is easier, but in some ways more difficult. I like to think of it as being more careful. :)

(I'm not sure if you're going to love me or hate me when you finally get my build for you. It could go both ways!)
  • Options
    I was wondering if one of you had any insight into a problem I'm having in my build. I've put a fountain in my underground pool, but it keeps popping down to the lower level. Here is what I mean:
    2uxz97o.jpg
    qoc7jn.jpg
    It doesn't happen in the outside pool, and it didn't happen in the pool I made for Ciane's build. It seems to be a problem with undergound pools. I've even put a column there, as you can see, to hold it up, but that doesn't help.

Have any of you encountered this before, and have any solutions? I'm baffled.
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Possibly because inside it's registering as on a different floor? Try going into options and check or uncheck (can't remember the exact wording) the option that says something about showing or hiding objects on other floors. See if that works?
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Possibly because inside it's registering as on a different floor? Try going into options and check or uncheck (can't remember the exact wording) the option that says something about showing or hiding objects on other floors. See if that works?
    Hm... I think I DO have it set to hide objects on other floors. It's easier on the system, and makes it easier to see. But you're right, this could be the problem. Even though I PLACE it on the floor I want it on, it doesn't APPEAR on that floor. It is strange.

That unfortunately means it would do the same thing on other peoples' systems who have it set that way, however. It would be best if I could find a solution to get it to appear on the correct floor. Hm... I have to think about it - maybe I can put an end table on the column, and place it on that? Although I'm not sure you can place a fountain object on a surface like that.
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Ooh! I have an idea! Remove the center square of the pool and make that floor - so it's on the right 'floor' and add the fountain to that square so it looks like that is part of the fountain. Then it should show up correctly.