Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you cheat to buy your sims houses or make them live within their means?

12346...Next

Comments

• Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    I don't cheat. I never have fun when I do..
  • Options
    TDU90TDU90 Posts: 1,822 Member
    I have a question for people who dont cheat. How do you do it when you first start a game? Do you only buy a house under 20k simoleons? And then live off the rest?
  • Options
    tammer400tammer400 Posts: 647 Member
    I hardly use money cheats on my games cause tbh most of the stuff my sims got they earned. CAuse tbh i feel like it takes away from the game imo
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    TDU90 wrote: »
    I have a question for people who dont cheat. How do you do it when you first start a game? Do you only buy a house under 20k simoleons? And then live off the rest?

Pretty much. Its really easy to make money. Especially if you have a painter in the house.
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    I only cheat if it seems reasonable for example if my sim got a mortgage id give them like a extra 50k etc to go towards the house. Sometimes I cheat them into a house but only if they can support it financially
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    ElimarnaElimarna Posts: 1,484 Member
    Sooooo I started a Legacy (minus scoring or really caring about some of the rules, and not for the first time since Sims 2) to challenge myself to build up a house over time. For a while I had four toddlers in the family who just had to nap constantly on chairs and the loveseat because I had no beds for them. Now I'm able to expand the house slowly. One floor to go before I can finish roofing the thing, then I want to put in a basement for gym equipment and a workshop. Eventually I'll be able to get this house all the way there, lol.

I definitely see the appeal in making my Sims earn it, but I'll probably still cheat like crazy to get houses the way I want them for some Sims.
  • Options
    Duke_DarkwoodDuke_Darkwood Posts: 59 Member
    I have yet to use any cheats, have no idea if I ever will, but certainly wouldn't use the money cheat - I'd probably only do things that you absolutely can't normally, if I ever started.

So, yeah. Mine "live within their means". I had one family's eldest daughter move out and marry her boyfriend (a townie, so no home), and they ended up in a confining narrow house called Streamlet Single. It took weeks before they graduated to a proper family house (longer than it took them to start their family; I had to partition off part of the first floor "combination room" to make the kid a bedroom). They're doing pretty fine now, though; once a household gets going enough, it really isn't hard to keep an income going.

The family she came from has come a long way; they've managed to buy Umbridge Manor some while back, and continue rolling in the money. Sadly, the parents won't be keeping this afloat forever (the father got his "final days" notice), and the restaurant the mother started is still costing more than it's giving back to the family. It is going to be interesting to see if their fortunes will survive the change in generations.

If you ask me, it's fun having them rise and fall on their own work. I won't begrudge those who use cheats to stay funded - some just want a sandbox approach. But others, like myself, are in it for the Simulation, and cheats would break the veriSimilitude.
  • Options
    ibaeshaCibaeshaC Posts: 679 Member
    Some households have to work for it beginning in a starter home. If I get bored of them, I might put them in something that fits the family "theme" and mark them unplayed. This way, they're still in my game, but when I play other sims and visit them, they have a cool home for me to visit.

Other households, I will cheat to get them the house I want to play them in, but they have to keep up with the bills that house generates on their own.

When placing households I'm unlikely to play much, but are in my game for flavor, eg; The Addams Family, I will cheat to give them the appropriate home.

I am not a builder, and I have always loved to play my families in homes built by other wonderfully creative Simmers. If I restricted my gameplay entirely to not cheating, I wouldn't get to play in those homes.
    Gallery: ibaeshaC
  • Options
    jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    TDU90 wrote: »

Usually yes. However my vampire needed about 5k to afford the small (v small) house and a coffin because I really wanted the new old looking bathroom stuff. The house itself has barely changed, there's just a larger, better decorated basement now :lol: plus Jade Rosa has moved in to a cell in the basement so my sim can stick by her toddler twins (they weren't planned) but now they're children (just aged) she's back on the prowl at night.

• Options
    I8PIKACHUI8PIKACHU Posts: 572 Member
    Long ago I used to play all the mods and cheats. Then I realized how wonderful the game is on its own. At the late TS3 game I started to play without mods and cheats and have not looked back.
    soul-glo.gif
    Let your soul shine through.
  • Options
    Westcoastgirl34Westcoastgirl34 Posts: 113 Member
    LOL i am bad - i cheat with money in sims but only to BUILD them an expensive house on a lot :)
    Never regret anything that made you smile <3

~ WestCoastGirl34~
  • Options
    CreoleSimCreoleSim Posts: 334 Member
    edited January 2017
    I only use cheats for the 'Prop" familes as well, Like my Siggy Sim's Boyfriend, He's rich but I never ask him for money in game. They finally got engaged, but I won't have them live together. I'm at about 50k in the bank (Not including The Artist cottage she lives in). I build skill, sell paintings. I also have her at level 8-9 in the Painter career. Saving up for a nice house, to host parties, and finally have a toddler!

I'm learning it makes the game more fun, and challenging, to actually aspire towards something, and it be your own hard work. Though all we really can buy is food & furniture. I wish there were actual things to spend money on, like things outside of buy mode. There is nothing else to use money for. I also wish there was a joint/separate account kind of thing, and inheritance again.
    8zjsc9.png
    Origin@ Simday1
  • Options
    praatlpraatl Posts: 27 Member
    if I'm buying a house, usually i use free realestate. i tend to completely redo the inside of the house with cheats then with whatever money is left over, i make them play with. same goes if i build my own house.
  • Options
    sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    first time doing a legacy in a long long time, so making them live within their means, not the normal legacy though, doing Generations legacy rebuild. Its interesting enough to keep me going maybe I hope thru all 10 generations.
  • Options
    AobaAoba Posts: 33 Member
    I only cheat sometimes if I want to build a medium-big house from scratch and spend too much on designing the exterior and putting too much greenery & decor so I can make sure I have enough for basic furniture. I don't like how little the game starts you out with for families but on single sims or couples I don't like to cheat but instead build small cheap homes. I didn't feel the need to do it at all in Sims 3 for some reason.