Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you cheat to buy your sims houses or make them live within their means?

Comments

• Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    I do both.

Both for me too. It just depends on what Sim I am playing. If I am building just to build, then I don't want to be limited. So I build on infinite money, then will grab a Sim from manage worlds and cheat them in. Generally, I don't play these.

The Sims I play are almost always Rags to Riches. Sometimes I make them start from 0. Sometimes I will give them the bare minimum (tent, toilet and icechest) and then take them to 0.
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    You're not alone hope and Simanite! :)
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited January 2017
    I'll only use a cheat for money, and other things if I'm creating an actual story. Any other time, my Sims have to earn a living and luxuries. :) It makes it more challenging (and quite fun), especially with the bill system in Sims 4. D:
  • Options
    hannaaj22hannaaj22 Posts: 685 Member
    I never use money cheats for the sims I play. I find it too boring once my sims have a ridiculous amount of money and prefer them to earn it by working hard. I like to keep my game realistic.
    Leon Family Tree
    Origin ID: hannaaj22
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I originally cheated to begin with a mansion as it's the meeting other sims, forming friendships, becoming lovers, having kids that I like to work on.

But I did create a thread a while back about easy wealth with a dragonfruit garden. Also have a sim write books as that's a great way to raise money too and they can write the Book of Life which will save even more money.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    More often then not if I'm using a money cheat it's to take their money down to nothing or almost nothing. Struggling Sims are my favorite to play and once they get a solid footing underneath them and money in the bank I will often loose interest. I'm not sure why since living paycheck to paycheck is what I do in real life and you'd think I'd want to get away from that in-game but...I guess not lol.

I do use FreeRealEstate quite often when I'm adding Sims I don't plan on playing to my neighborhood however.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    3KNPen wrote: ยป
    More often then not if I'm using a money cheat it's to take their money down to nothing or almost nothing. Struggling Sims are my favorite to play and once they get a solid footing underneath them and money in the bank I will often loose interest. I'm not sure why since living paycheck to paycheck is what I do in real life and you'd think I'd want to get away from that in-game but...I guess not lol.

I do use FreeRealEstate quite often when I'm adding Sims I don't plan on playing to my neighborhood however.

I know exactly how you feel. In TS3, I had sims sleeping in sleeping bags and hiding in park pavilions during thunderstorms. I love the challenge and scavenging for what I need. It's game over when they get too rich.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    For me it depends. If I'm playing a challenge then no cheats that aren't allowed. if I'm just playing for myself then sometimes I'll allow them a free house (just like if they had inherited from some long lost aunt) but then furnish within the sims means.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I'm like Oprah with my sims. You get a motherlode and you get a motherlode and you get a motherlode!

• Options
    AiiSandraAiiSandra Posts: 47 Member
    I NEVER use moneycheats.. well, if I use it then its for REMOVING my sims money.. My sims always gets rich somehow, and I do not like to play with rich families.. too easy!
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Ya know...I've always wanted a banking system in the game.

In TS2, I used OFB and an ATM mod to take out a loan. My sims started in an empty lot/apartment until they got their loan. Then they'd move into their house. They're bills were higher and gained interest the longer they took to pay it back. I had to make sure they were living within their means...Which was pretty challenging, but so much fun!

I tried to do something similar in TS3, but it didn't quite work that way. Instead, they paid taxes on their properties into the city funds, which in turn let me upgrade parks and public buildings.

I honestly wish that we had a way to set starter funds when we make a family. Sometimes I want to play a struggling family that can't afford anything and so.etimes I want to play a middle class family. It just depends. I want a diverse economic world.
  • Options
    SimplyobsessedSimplyobsessed Posts: 315 Member
    I don't do any cheats at all except for move objects, using the money cheats would take a lot of the fun away for me because it would just be way too easy. I prefer the challenge of making them wealthy myself, what sense of accomplishment comes from typing in 'motherlode' and being instantly rich? It is also more realistic for sims to financially struggle and not start off with the most luxurious items and houses.

I'd stuggle to build without the move objects cheat though, I don't know why anyone would build without it. It also makes the game feel realistic - who in real life is told that they can't have a tissue box, a cup of toothbrushes and some towels bunched closely together?! :D
  • Options
    Clarkie100Clarkie100 Posts: 1,708 Member
    I can't resist. And it used to be hilarious as I couldn't build, so I would just make a square house and have everything in one room! :D
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    When I play I play rotation and I take out all the house's in the worlds and put in houses either I build or from cc then I populate my town with custom sims so I need to use the cheat as I said above to play the way I want to as each family is custom so they have families etc and none of the larger families can afford the houses they need if no cheat.
    Not cheating is ok if you play one family and do not redo all your worlds. Otherwise there would be all the families living like they do in banished. Not exactly how I want to play my sims game.
  • Options
    DoubleSJosseDoubleSJosse Posts: 44 Member
    I love to play Legacy's so I rarely cheat when it comes to money, I just find it so satisfying upgrading my house and it's furnitures. Its fun watching the house grow along with the family :)
  • Options
    AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I usually play with challenges, so I don't use cheats (aside from moveobjects/other building cheats). I prefer having my sims earn their riches.
  • Options
    JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    Homeless sims are the most fun for me. Money comes too easily in the Sims, especially with painting.
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    edited January 2017
    Depends on the story that I'm trying to tell. 80% of the time I don't use money cheats because I like getting stuff as they progress on their jobs, but sometimes I start a new game and play the "roommies" thing and move them all together to a furnished apartment/house (This was before City Living) or just not main characters that have established themselves. (Parents, other family members, etc.)
  • Options
    WILDFLOWER1971WILDFLOWER1971 Posts: 211 Member
    I have used the cheats, I love to build i love design so i tend to spend hours on builds rather then game-play. I will have to try the game-play mode without cheats and see what story line i can create. I have recreated the all homes i have lived in or family has lived in. Its really cool to see sims living in the home i see everyday in real life. I have also created most of my co-workers and placed them in the world. Its been fun to fun into them as i play the game.
    James 3:13
    Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom.

https://facebook.com/PiperSims4Gaming/?ref=bookmarks
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    The only time I use cheats is to enable CAS Full Edit Mode to recreate all those ugly townies that spawn excessively.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I play 20-30 families in my main save and it would drive me nuts if I had to work from the scratch with each of them. Some of them are born with a fortune and a nice house (freerealestate on :D). I like having challenge though, so I rarely ever use money cheat after they got their house, then it's up to them how to manage the expensive bills. Some end up having to sell furniture and others make it through and earn their house that way. I also have several families that only get what 20,000 simoleans can buy them and some who I have cheated money away.

Summing up: story matters the most to me, but I also like a bit of a struggle.
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Both! I built things from the ground up with my first few families, but whenever I just want to play I build a house from the get go and plop them in it. (Or just get one off the gallery and change up furniture.)
  • Options
    notetoself00xnotetoself00x Posts: 499 Member
    I never do money cheats. Cant remember the last time I did!
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I have to add that I love building a house and planning a family who lives there at the same time. Thinking how they moved into the house and what kind of furniture suits them. I bounce back and forth the house idea and family idea and they shape together. But when I'm in the build mood like that I don't want to think of the expenses really.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited January 2017
    Generally speaking, my sims have to start from the bottom and work their way up. But if I'm adding families that already have a wealthy backstory (Landraabs, for example) I'll use the freerealestate cheat so they can at least afford an expensive house. I always use freerealestate rather than adding funds.