Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you cheat to buy your sims houses or make them live within their means?

TDU90TDU90 Posts: 1,822 Member
I do not like my sims having excess money and im starting to prefer a more realistic approach. I have been building more starter homes lately. I like the idea of my sims only owning what they can afford and having a normal amount of money.
Post edited by TDU90 on

Comments

• simlishtrsimlishtr Posts: 1,405 Member
    no cheats allowed!
    my sims should earn their own money and learn from mistakes even in utopian world.
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    I do use the free real estate cheat but after that they have to take care of themselves. Especially if I startcworh a family, they need a larger house than a starter house. So I do cheat that. I use the storyline in my head that whatever town is trying to attract sims to move into it, so they give away free real estate but you have to furnish it and pay to upgrade etc.
  • KayxxFanpireKayxxFanpire Posts: 500 Member
    Normally I don't cheat to get my Sims a house but recently I've been creating families in CAS,instead of just a single Sim,and for story telling purposes I will use the free realestate cheat to get them a house that fits their needs.
    03.22.2013 <3
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I do both.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    My sims have to work for everything. I don't use free real estate for any sim I actually plan to play, only for prop families.
    I also don't use money cheats. It isn't that hard to make money without cheats. I also feel like it seriously detracts from my own game play, since it takes away many significant goals.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited January 2017
    No, I never use cheats. I don't like it and I think it is not fun. I am kind of ambitious player. I focus on my sims careers so they can earn money quickly.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • BeaEllaBeaElla Posts: 366 Member
    I do both as well. The families I mostly play start with the money they have, but sometimes I will pause aging for a while to get them to advance in their careers a little at first. I also abuse the ridiculously overpriced blackberries :smile: Sometimes, for storyline purpose I will go all in though.
    My chaotic simblr
  • ObscurusObscurus Posts: 626 Member
    I've never used money cheats. CAS.fulleditmode on the other hand... o:)
  • fiercephoenix91fiercephoenix91 Posts: 175 Member
    I tend to do both, depending on my mood. Mostly I would only use the free real estate one, but then that's it unless I built a house that is too expensive for an empty lot and use motherlode just to place it down for the family. Then they're on their own.
  • mariah6194mariah6194 Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited January 2017
    That used to be the only way I played, using the free real estate cheat to get them the nicest home and buy them anything I wanted. But I have recently stopped playing that way and actually tried doing it the right way and found that I had way more fun and enjoyed the game much more. I recently did my first rags to riches challenge and I had a blast with that and I found that I was able to make my sim wealthy fairly fast!
    tumblr_olomnw8E5c1ug9tk9o2_500.gif
  • FriedCawfeeFriedCawfee Posts: 195 Member
    Most of my sims have a good sum of money, mainly because I like to focus my game play on other things besides gaining skills and working.
    Playing the Sims since 2001.
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,877 Member
    edited January 2017
    I'm in the 'earn it' camp. I definitely prefer to live within their means. Usually that is rather small and humble ... but.
    I find it takes away from a sense of accomplishment if they start off with too much by way of cheats.

Right now I am trying the challenges of the cheap culpepper apartments. Haunted for one Sim and gremlins for another. Ghost isn't too bad but those gremlins are nasty.
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Lol yes. I like having my Sims live in comfort. I am absolute trash
  • TDU90TDU90 Posts: 1,822 Member
    mariah6194 wrote: »
    That used to be the only way I played, using the free real estate cheat to get them the nicest home and buy them anything I wanted. But I have recently stopped playing that way and actually tried doing it the right way and found that I had way more fun and enjoyed the game much more. I recently did my first rags to riches challenge and I had a blast with that and I found that I was able to make my sim wealthy fairly fast!

I was the same way but i am changing.i want to play more of a challenging realistic game.If your sims can just cheat their way up in life its less fun. Also makes having a job obsolete!
  • hope1275hope1275 Posts: 264 Member
    I like living vicariously through my Sims, so I almost always cheat. Sometimes I don't, but I kind of live that life already. ;)

z8Bu8FZ.gif

• ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    sometimes!! i don't cheat as much as i used too in previous games lol
  • TDU90TDU90 Posts: 1,822 Member
    Im currently build a super luxurious large house. Im going to have to use a cheat for this one.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    Both, but generally I like having poor sims. It makes the game more challenging. That's why I wish they'd bring back part time jobs for adults. I don't want to make oodles of money. I get bored too easy if money is no object. I usually give all my sims the Good trait so I can donate everyday to get rid of surplus money.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    Always. And have been doing so since rosebud. My sims skill, have careers, own shops and restaurants, not to earn money but to have fun.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Cheat.
  • simgamersimgamer Posts: 22 Member
    I tend to not cheat when it comes to buying houses. Mostly though my sims paint or write to earn large amounts of money on the side so they live pretty comfortably.
  • kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member
    Never cheat. My Sims have to earn everything. The only cheats I use are the elder exhaustion death cheats to allow my sims to die after a lifespan because I have aging turned off.
    My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Motherlode. :heart: I couldn't play without it.
  • KingStianKingStian Posts: 41 Member
    When I use the game for storytelling, which I've tried a little without really getting it of the ground, I use cheats. In setting the game is just props and I'm not gonna waste hours to do something I can achieve in minutes with cheats. But if I'm playing the game for playing the game there's no fun in using cheats.
  • MawMawMawMaw Posts: 99 Member
    Sometimes if the house is a little out of the price range (usually 10,000 simoleons or less) I'll cheat the money in, But I like to make them pay it back over time either by donating to charity or by just reducing the funds a little at a time, I think it's realistic to believe they might take out a loan to buy a house :)