Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you cheat to buy your sims houses or make them live within their means?

Comments

• Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I only cheat.
  • Options
    strangeseraphstrangeseraph Posts: 369 Member
    Depends on what kind of challenge I'm doing. I sometimes have a Sim who has just come out of CAS go straight into a huge fancy mansion, but I set their family funds to zero after. The challenge is to get them to save up enough money to be able to pay their bills without selling anything in the house or moving, or cheating with money cheats, or even to sell a bunch of paintings, novels, collectibles and dragon fruit ahem hem. The challenge is to have them do this by levelling up in their career. Which gets more challenging if they have the romance trait since they have to do work stuff before they can go out and have romance. Or if its a family, one parent has to be a stay at home, so only one Sim is making money, and then it gets harder.

Another challenge I like to do is the riches to rags. How quickly can I get my rich sim into the poor house, without selling anything and with still keeping them in a career. Can't do that in Sims 4 though, really sad actually no more guy with a vacuum cleaner to suck up Sims stuff when they're in the doghouse. xD
    Jenny

Doop Dee Doop
  • Options
    troubledbongotroubledbongo Posts: 74 Member
    edited January 2017
    I used to cheat all the time in TS3, though it did become insanely easy to get lots of money that it wasn't required after that (the lotto from Into The Future for example was practically a cheat itself).

In TS4 I don't bother with money cheats anymore as it's not that hard to build up money, so I just start off in a cheap house and buy better as money allows.
  • Options
    LiseyLisey Posts: 195 Member
    TDU90 wrote: »
    I like the idea of my sims only owning what they can afford and having a normal amount of money.

I'm the same. The big expensive houses are more fun when the family has actually earned them. :D
  • Options
    liko211liko211 Posts: 61 Member
    yeah haha no cheats allowed here either it gives for a fun experience
    simesmerizedsimesmerized Posts: 202 Member
    They have to earn it -- mostly. I say mostly becaus I will have sims "give" other sims money. For example, I had a sim move out on her own. She was an only child. Her Mom had climbed all the way to the culinary career and her Dad was in the middle of his Art Critic career. They lived in a nice apartment and had tons of money. So when I moved said single sim out I wanted to leave her parents in their nice apartment. But I cheated away some of their money and cheated some money to their daughter. xD

And honestly, I haven't had a sim start from scratch in so long. I've been effectively playing the same family for well over a year. I just switch to different arms of the family tree but everyone is already loaded since I had my founder sim live for a super long time and she made tons of money.
  • Options
    MrsTomato1018MrsTomato1018 Posts: 400 Member
    Before The Sims 4, I used money cheats all the time, but I hardly use them now. It's just too easy for my sims to get money now. Plus, I've found that it's cheaper for them to start off in a rundown apartment to save up money, and then eventually they can buy a house. Just like real life! :D
    Check out my YouTube channel!
    You can find me on the gallery at MrsTomato1018!
    You can find me on Twitter @MrsTomato1018!
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    Yes, I do. I build houses that I find are beautiful, but because I decorate and landscape them, my sims can't buy them, they are too expensive, so I motherlode them until they can afford it. Why is that a bad thing?
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    MorpheousMorpheous Posts: 8 New Member
    I used to cheat for money all the time in the The Sims 1 for a sim who I wanted to be rich, think I might have done this in Sims 2 a bit as well.. but ever since Sims 3 I've more or less just had my sims live within their means. The only exception to this so far has been when a sim I was playing ended up dying, so I made another sim for the sole purpose of basically making her ghost playable. I added the money needed to move into her Apartment.
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I cheat all the time I like new houses and I like to decorate them, I am always looking for new houses on the exchange when I am not building them.
  • Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    I usually do not cheat for more money. I have built homes and cheated to give them the empty shell and then they have to pay back the money and pay to furnish it. I keep a running tally of how much they owe. But most of the time they start out on an empty lot and then have to earn the money to buy the shell. Depends on my mood that day. Other times I have them start off in a starter home that I have made or downloaded.

• Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I've never used the cheat console. It doesn't take long in-game to get rich Sims anyway. A dedicated freelance writer Sim will have thousands of royalties coming in per day by the end of their first in-game week. Mine got to the point where she didn't have to do any work for weeks on end and still made more money than most Sims in a career do, lol.

Also, I like starting in a small starter home, and expanding as needs arise. Unless you've got a full family of 8 Sims, you really don't need all that much to get by. And if you build up the community lots well, you can get by with even less at home because all your skill stuff could be there.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    starberrykissxstarberrykissx Posts: 748 Member
    I'm trying to train my self not to use cheats/mods i only do it if i like the house tho sense i am a bad builder
  • Options
    HBK19HBK19 Posts: 14 New Member
    I make them get to a certain point then when I get bored I start using the simoleon cheat.
  • Options
    Lindz2006Lindz2006 Posts: 86 Member
    I do not cheat. It is boring in my opinion if you cheat. I make my sims earn everything they have....even if they start out in a trailer. They must work for a living. Keeps everything interesting and challenging.
  • Options
    v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    edited January 2017
    windweaver wrote: »
    Yes, I do. I build houses that I find are beautiful, but because I decorate and landscape them, my sims can't buy them, they are too expensive, so I motherlode them until they can afford it. Why is that a bad thing?

IT is not a bad thing, i it is a play style. It is a reason why the developers include the same cheat-codes with the same command to oppen the cheat interface for 3 games in a row. (Do not remember thesims1).

Albeit the "mastercheat" is not as powerfull as it was in Thesims2 because the one in Thesims2 was probably used to edit the game itself by the developers.
    jr73Y.gif

• Options
    AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    I do some of each. I like to play rotationally, so I have a bunch of households I play off and on. Some I play up from nothing without any money cheats. Others I have a specific backstory in mind -- they were from a rich family, inherited land, etc. Sometimes I've just played through the base 'earning your way up' portion of the game so much that it's not really that fun to do again and I give a family a free house then work to get them up to speed to pay the bills and buy some nice items for it.

One thing I will say -- I generally stick to the money/real estate cheats. I don't cheat my Sims up through the promotions for their job or whatnot -- those I play through.

In the end though, it's really all about whatever you like to do and what's fun for you!
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    I use the motherlode cheat.
  • Options
    joannadiprosejoannadiprose Posts: 34 Member
    I never cheat, I love a challenge and when the next paycheck comes (especially a promotion) I will upgrade something in the house. It is more fun this way, but it depends on what kind of challenge you're doing. It seems to take ages to earn money just with a career.
  • Options
    anneloes740anneloes740 Posts: 171 Member
    I only cheat when I have build an house that I just can't wait to play with hahaha
  • Options
    dirtyDdirtyD Posts: 65 Member
    I used to cheat all the time. When I got the Sims 4 I decided to try playing without cheats & make them live within their means and have found that I am more attached to my sims. They've come pretty far from their humble beginnings.
  • Options
    dirtyD wrote: »
    I used to cheat all the time. When I got the Sims 4 I decided to try playing without cheats & make them live within their means and have found that I am more attached to my sims. They've come pretty far from their humble beginnings.

That is true, the more you take care of something/someone the more you are atached to that person or object.
    jr73Y.gif

• Options
    JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member
    Like a lot of you, I go with what the story I'm telling demands. I usually start out with the base money, but sometimes the story calls for a more impressive start.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited January 2017
    For a while, I wasn't cheating with my current family., but I got fed up of my neighbors complaining about noise over every little thing, my sim makes breakfast and the neighbors would pound on my door, my sim would take a shower and they're yelling at me, so I cheated to get out of there.And pretended it was loan.
  • Options
    For a while, I wasn't cheating with my current family., but I got fed up of my neighbors complaining about noise over every little thing, my sim makes breakfast and the neighbors would pound on my door, my sim would take a shower and they're yelling at me, so I cheated to get out of there.And pretended it was loan.

A small loan...
    jr73Y.gif