Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you cheat to buy your sims houses or make them live within their means?

Comments

• Options
    QuaayQuaay Posts: 557 Member
    I usually motherlode. The amount I give them varies though. Some get tons but some only get enough to furnish a new place or something. Like when I aged up Cassandra Goth and moved her to the city with her fiance her parents gifted her a down payment as a wedding present and they gotta earn the rest themselves now.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    For me it depends on the save and purpose the family has. If I'm just in the mood to play around and fiddle without the sims having to struggle, I build them a luxurious house and give them plenty of cash, if I'm doing a challenge of some sort, they're only allowed to live within the rules of the challenge and no cheats!
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    TDU90 wrote: »
    I do not like my sims having excess money and im starting to prefer a more realistic approach. I have been building more starter homes lately. I like the idea of my sims only owning what they can afford and having a normal amount of money.

The only cheats i use are build buy cheats, and i always move new Sims to an empty lot.
    Only rarely will I ever re-use a starter.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    I used to cheat to buy Sims stuff, but sort of stopped, not too long ago.
    I'd cheat to get them a house, BUT then take away money from them each week or so, until they paid off the cost of the house.
    The rest, food, furniture, etc, I get normal way, no cheating.
    Since the game has no banking and such, I have to make up my own versions and use cheats to add, but later take away, the funds.
    I wish the game had bank accounts, lol...

A banking system would be awesome. I have done the loan/payback thing and it can be such a pain sometimes. I have discovered that you can use an empty/non used-retail lot as a makeshift bank for storing extra money outside of the household funds (I assume it has a cap but I've never reached it) there's still math involved keeping track of things but at least it's fully separated from the funds in terms of keeping track of it.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    I never cheat. I love love love when they "struggle" to get to their dream home with the dream job and fulfilled aspirations just like I am atm.

-Yarden.
  • Options
    tanakakitanakaki Posts: 240 Member
    It depends on the sim I'm creating in general. If I make a household of say, run away teens, then they'll work their way to a nice home. But if I want to play a rich scientist, I'll motherlode or freerealestate them into a nice home that fits them.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I cheat all the time. I want to make stories, not grind.
  • Options
    lmkiturelmkiture Posts: 1,206 Member
    I usually make them work their way up. The current family I'm playing started as a YA couple with a toddler. Once the kids (3) were teen and up I wanted them to move to a new house I built, but it ended up being out of there price range. So the mom had to get a job, and the oldest son started work as soon as he was YA. The dad reached the top of his career so they made their goal and moved on up!
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    They live within their means and add on to current house or move to a new one as they get more simoleans. I find it makes the game more interesting that way. The few times I have used motherlode I got tired of the save rather quickly because they had nothing to work towards really.
    I played like this in TS2 and 3 as well.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    Linamints wrote: »
    My sims have to work for everything. I don't use free real estate for any sim I actually plan to play, only for prop families.
    I also don't use money cheats. It isn't that hard to make money without cheats. I also feel like it seriously detracts from my own game play, since it takes away many significant goals.

The only case in which I use money cheats is when I do
    testingcheats true
    money X

With X being lower than the current amount of money my Sims have. I do so when I think my Sims have too much, or if a bug gave me some more money than I should have gotten, or if I want to play as a homeless Sim.
  • Options
    cynclacyncla Posts: 1,117 Member
    I've never used free real estate but will motherlode , not very often , or kaching once in awhile for money IF needed for that households story.
    I ALWAYS use a "cheat" ( who am I cheating? No, the answer is not me.) so that my Sim doesn't catch on fire if there is one /the food prepared doesn't go bad ( so handy for a house full of toddlers) /and the quick fix if plumbing breaks. I want to play not meet requirements.
  • Options
    jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    I end up cheating money away these days. My last family were in a penthouse after many gens. The heir moved to culpepper and I used the money cheat to lose most of the money (parents died so I pretended there were huge outstanding debts to be paid). When I start my vamp I'll probably give her an extra 10 grand to build a reasonable house then cheat any excess away once I'm done.
  • Options
    BUTTONSGINGERBUTTONSGINGER Posts: 5,702 Member
    The only time I use money cheats is when building. When playing a household I don't use any cheats, money or needs. I find it gets boring if my sim has all they need to begin with. My absolute favorite way to play is to play the Rosebud Challenged. You put a single sim on and empty lot and then bring the funds down to zero simoleons and survive.

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Depends on the family -- if it's a family that I played for a while then saved to my Library (which takes away all their money) then I'll use freerealestate to give them a moderately priced starter house large enough for them (3-4 bedrooms depending how many teens/children/and now toddlers) are in the household.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Melbana9Melbana9 Posts: 262 Member
    no they have to work for the money :)
  • Options
    ToreshinboToreshinbo Posts: 561 Member
    I cheated often in the beginning, giving sims beautiful houses. But when I started a new family which would be my main family now they worked for their money. They lived in a crappy apartment in San Myshuno (City Living), and they worked their way up until they could buy the penthouse in the fashion district (250.000 simoleans i believe) Which feels more like a accomplishment to me. (The house is now 980.500 simoleans worth lol, and I still don't cheat with money)
  • Options
    Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    It depends on the game I am playing. I have had homeless sims, a dad and daughter, starting in just a blank lot with basic minimum, like a bench to nap on, no kitchen, maybe just a fridge to keep the lot as a place to live, but with nothing in it.

They roamed the worlds to find food, meet their hygiene needs, etc. The dad was insane, while the daughter was normal, just trying to make it in school and life without a real home. One of the most interesting games I have played. All you do is just barely help to make sure they stay alive. It was harder to do in Sims 3 than in Sims 4.

Otherwise, I cheat to also look at the other side of life. Very interesting, but usually becomes a shorter game due to eventual boredom. But then again, you have everything in between. Start low and work up. Sometimes, it's too easy in Sims 4 and you go up so fast, you miss a lot of the stages in between. It's too easy to find food and make money in Sims 4 unless you have a huge family to take care of. I think that's what the challenge may be in Sims 4.
  • Options
    Sim2SporeSim2Spore Posts: 284 Member
    For my legacy family, I live within their means, which usually doesn't matter because they somehow end up fairly wealthy regardless of what generation it is or what job they have. This also means that their bills end up lower, giving me lots of spare cash to waste on decor or future upgrades or moving homes entirely.

For my social experiment saves, I cheat because I'm not really concerned with getting them jobs in the first place.
    For the other family saves that I occasionally play, I'll only cheat at the beginning to buy them a house that they could theoretically have afforded if they were a pre-made family. i.e. a family of 6 should have at least a 3 bed/2 bath of reasonable quality, with all the amenities and furniture.
  • Options
    LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    I always start with what they have or $0 (I play lots of challenges and allot of the time it says start with 0$) I can't find any fun if my sims have nothing to work for!

I almost always move sims kids out when i start the next generation as I hate having that excess money XD
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • Options
    AntoniaBaybeeAntoniaBaybee Posts: 160 Member
    I sort of do both. I cheat to give them money for nice homes or build one and furnish it with the most expensive items for each room. I then use whatever is left to buy upgrade parts and skill books so they have to build their skills so they can go further in their careers so they are able to pay their bills. Currently my sim is doing good but I think after next bill rolls around he will be getting shut off!
    Antonia Louise <3
  • Options
    I kind of cheat - but I made an acceptable compromise on that. I use the Free Real Estate cheat to move the household into the mainly unfurnished house. After that I take (for example) 40 percent of the value of the land per cheat away from the household funds as "down payment". The remaining 60 percent have to be paid weekly by installments.
    Happy Simming! <3
  • Options
    JessiejessanJessiejessan Posts: 220 Member
    Sometimes. I usually have a spoiled family where I do cheat, but I also have a family where no cheats are allowed! My mood determines which family I play at the time.
  • Options
    simgamesimgame Posts: 538 Member
    I don't cheat at the beginning, but I found it very hard to earn lots of money. I only cheat once my sims are like around level 10 in their career, cause you will have lots of money once you're at the top of your career
  • Options
    vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    TDU90 wrote: »
    I do not like my sims having excess money and im starting to prefer a more realistic approach. I have been building more starter homes lately. I like the idea of my sims only owning what they can afford and having a normal amount of money.

I agree - I don't ever use cheats and I usually have a storyline in my head and stick with it. This means that I decide what I want my Sims to be career wise and then don't allow them to go any further. For example if I want them to be a nurse - once they hit the nurse stage of the doctor career I make sure that they don't complete the goals needed to advance any further up the career ladder.

I enjoy a realistic game so I don't like having oodles of simoleons for my Sims. But that is just the way I play.
  • Options
    MakanprakanMakanprakan Posts: 4 New Member
    I always use bb.ignoregameplayunlocksentitlement, but recently this has not been working for me :( I get most of the stuff but not windows and doors... Anyone knows why? :(
    Also motherlode every time :D