Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has your opinions on City Living changed?

Comments

• Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Schantal wrote: »
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    From looking at that trailer, what was so different? Why did it take a year for another expansion pack?

Not getting the excitement with this but hey i havent play the expansion pack yet

I don't get it either honestly. I honestly think people are "over excited" because they had to wait a whole year for content so they are excited to be getting anything. This is a problem though because the company won't change if people just run out and buy everything they put out there.

Can't speak for others, but it hasn't been a year for me. Plenty of GPs and SPs have been out in that time.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2016
    james64468 wrote: »
    I don't consider this a family player ep. This don't really excite me. Sure there is some sims 2 stuff in it. But it not really that much different than what we have gotten. I don't know if this is expansion pack I am looking for. If it would had attraction system to it. Then I might have been excited for it. But I am going to see what LGR says and if it says it good then that change my opinion.

I have a feeling that LGR is gonna love it. He prefers packs that add more realism instead of fantasy, and Late Night was one of his favorite Sims 3 expansions. Not to say that City Living is like LN, it seems to be more like Apartment Life. Probably a blend of both.
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    From looking at that trailer, what was so different? Why did it take a year for another expansion pack?

Not getting the excitement with this but hey i havent play the expansion pack yet

I don't get it either honestly. I honestly think people are "over excited" because they had to wait a whole year for content so they are excited to be getting anything. This is a problem though because the company won't change if people just run out and buy everything they put out there.

Can't speak for others, but it hasn't been a year for me. Plenty of GPs and SPs have been out in that time.

It has been ONE whole year since the last EXPANSION (remove a month).......you cannot compare a stuff pack to a freaking expansion, its not remotely the same thing. Also, gamepacks have been few and far between as well. In the sims 3 we were getting an expansion every 3-6 months, store items, stuff packs, store sets, worlds, etc.....
  • Options
    emtheelfemtheelf Posts: 49 Member

I only own one SP and only bought that because of the gigantic EP drought. For me it's not been enough, it's EPs that add the most to my gameplay and the ones so far have been lacklustre and very irregularly timed. Glad you're enjoying the GPs and SPs, though I would argue the 'plenty' only really applies to SPs.
    Forever in love with the Sims 2 :)
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    No, I haven't changed my mind. I read the blog by SimguruGrant and it says your first apartment will be small and you move to a penthouse when you level up in one of the new careers. It sounds limited. Maybe it isn't, but it sounds like penthouses are tied to new jobs. ??? Don't know but anyone should read it. Some festivals, some karaoke, some basketball, O.K. that's fine for NL EP but I won't like not being able to build any type apartment I want or size. Or maybe he just meant the premade ones..I have no idea but sounded like penthouses are tied to a new job.

I think people are reading too much into the blog. I'm sure you can have your sim purchase a penthouse from the start, if you want. The blog only mentioned the "rags to riches" type of gameplay as a way to express that you can start off in a tiny, roach infested apartment and rise to the top if you work hard enough.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited September 2016
    Also, is the "your landlord wont be happy with you knocking out walls" just a phrase for "you can't use build mode in these apartments" ?

edit - Corrected word.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    Pary wrote: »
    Also, is the "your landlord wont be happy with you knocking out walls" just a phrase for "you can't use build more in these apartments" ?

That's what I got from it - lack of build mode options in apartments. Which is... irritating, but bearable for me if I can build apartments from scratch.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I'm quite excited, the idea of apartments appeals t me. It's one of my favourite features from the sims 2.
  • Options
    ArtArt Posts: 140 Member
    Looks amazing to me.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member

Over excited? These comments seem fairly sane to me. The company won't change even if some people do not buy right away. You can't get the kind of change you want by just a few people not buying right away or not buying at all it has to be a bigger effort to make change. There will always be people who buy everything, but that is their choice.

I am going to give you an example of what I feel this is like (not on this big scale, but hear me out). It is like global warming. We can say all we want about things not changing unless we do something about it, but we can't tell everyone to take care of the environment, if everyone did we would not be in this problem. you can't expect everyone to go along with what you want them to do even on this bigger scale with proof of the problem.

The people who buy everything right away buy it for their enjoyment we can't tell them not to and that they are the reason the company is like it is. The company has been this way for years now. It was the same with the sims 3 people (myself included) purchased everything as soon as it came out. This time it is no different.

The company has/had a vision, they are making the game, this is their vision, it is already set, they have the ideas worked on before now, most likely to the end of this series, it is not going to just change because a few people do not buy the pack right away. Same with the ones that are waiting to buy it until they see someone do a video review on it or they see more stuff, most of them will still buy it. Really, why would someone care what someone else thinks about the game? yeah it is great to watch the videos and see what kind of play there is in the game and decide for yourself if the game is what you want or not, then if you can't wait buy it right away. Or wait for a sale. Those are personal choices.

The problems with this game are not because people buy everything it is because the base game still needs work. I just enjoy what I can it suits my needs.
  • Options
    dorendia122dorendia122 Posts: 6,961 Member
    I think what hit me the most was how lackluster and unenthusiastic I am about this new EP and every Sims 4 content that has came out since the release of the game. I really miss the excitement of a sims expansion pack. I miss the excitement of wanting to play the game! Now I just feel meh. My first reaction when I saw the trailer was just a big sigh. Even my 11 year old sister said it looks boring! It looks like they tried to combine some aspects of Sims 3 Late Night, Sims 2 Apartment Life and Sims 3 University. I'm not feeling this ep and maybe I'll grab it when it's on sale but I will not be paying full price for this. They're really trying hard to disguise how bad The Sims 4 is.
    Gmmov8T.gif
  • Options

It has been ONE whole year since the last EXPANSION (remove a month).......you cannot compare a stuff pack to a freaking expansion, its not remotely the same thing. Also, gamepacks have been few and far between as well. In the sims 3 we were getting an expansion every 3-6 months, store items, stuff packs, store sets, worlds, etc.....

Yes, becasue sims 3 was milking us for all we had especially the store.
  • Options
    IceyJ wrote: »
    I don't consider this a family player ep. This don't really excite me. Sure there is some sims 2 stuff in it. But it not really that much different than what we have gotten. I don't know if this is expansion pack I am looking for. If it would had attraction system to it. Then I might have been excited for it. But I am going to see what LGR says and if it says it good then that change my opinion.

I have a feeling that LGR is gonna love it. He prefers packs that add more realism instead of fantasy, and Late Night was one of his favorite Sims 3 expansions. Not to say that City Living is like LN, it seems to be more like Apartment Life. Probably a blend of both.

I think so too.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    emtheelf wrote: »
    Also, is the "your landlord wont be happy with you knocking out walls" just a phrase for "you can't use build mode in these apartments" ?

That's what I got from it - lack of build mode options in apartments. Which is... irritating, but bearable for me if I can build apartments from scratch.

Hrm... that's pretty poor, if so. Customising your homes has always been a thing. That's assuming you can't use the cheat workaround. You needed to use those in the previous games.
    If it can't be edited at all then that is terrible.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi :)

A City EP was something I really wanted yet I will still hold my judgement about it until more information on what it contains is released. I don't just want a city, I would like less Happy and Super Vibrant Sims environment. And CAW/WE :)

I am trying not to be much of a downer. But I really really know if I like this or not. I guess I need to wait for LGR to make my full judgement.
  • Options
    Hrm... that's pretty poor, if so. Customising your homes has always been a thing. That's assuming you can't use the cheat workaround. You needed to use those in the previous games.
    If it can't be edited at all then that is terrible.

I'd guess cheats will work? I hope. I can't imagine it'll be less customisable than Sims 3 apartments. I'm sure that'll be mentioned in the next few weeks though, since building is a huge part of the game.
  • Options
    BeanfootBeanfoot Posts: 602 Member
    edited September 2016
    I'm absolutely excited for this! I can understand why some players aren't, but I'm a total TS2 fangirl and this pack has catered to my nostalgia, but guess what? It's working. The reason being that I'm a part of the players who have been asking for a lot of these features (e.g. the bubbler, protesters, karaoke, food stands, more cultural variety; to wit, this one looks like it's Asian metropolis based, not Western, a new world, new careers and the return of the political track, and the return of festivals). Also, I noticed this part:
    You’ll need to balance the charm of your first starter unit with possible setbacks, like cockroaches, leaky pipes or electrical problems.
    Um... YES?! I've been dying for drama, tragedy, and problems since I got this game. I know this isn't the family play many people want and I know that toddlers seem past the horizon as of yet, but I really am very excited for this pack.
  • Options
    BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    It definitely seems like a more in depth expansion pack compared to the previous. To me it seems a bit more like old style EP's as far as having a lot of different content. I am cautiously optimistic at this point.
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    kitangel1kitangel1 Posts: 200 Member
    In all honestly this is probably one of the first times i'm not even a little bit excited for something in this pack. I'll still probably buy it for items, but it doesn't really meet my expectations from what I saw of the video. While I've wanted a city and apartments like anyone else, I wish the EP had focused on something else.
    I'll reserve my final judgement for when the EP comes out, but I'm not expecting much at this point.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

Oh I hope he does. The forum is in love with him right now after he recent 'Meh' video. Would love to see the reaction around here if his review of this EP is a positive one, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    profanedogprofanedog Posts: 108 Member
    I'm not sure. I'm hoping that apartments are flexible to open the ability to leverage the gallery.
  • Options
    JasonSim16JasonSim16 Posts: 466 Member
    Hi,

I wanted to start a quick discussion and see if some of the people that weren't really interested in the upcoming EP opinions changed. From all the leaks it sounded great, not something I was really asking for, you know? That being said I thought if it was done well it would be a great thing for the community and game. After watching the trailer today, I'm officially excited cause this looks like an actual EP and the start of a new beginning for the Sims 4.

So back to what the topic is about, now that you've gotten the chance to take a look at the trailer and what's all to come, Are you now excited? I think this could actually be a really good EP for some family players, living in close quarters and dealing with rude neighbors. Imagine the stories that could be told with this EP.

Extra Info:

Take Your Sims to the City
    Do your Sims long to leave the suburbs behind? Fulfill their dreams in the diverse city of San Myshuno, where they can discover exciting neighborhoods, move into a new apartment, check out fun festivals and more. In The Sims™ 4 City Living your Sims can experience the joys and challenges of sharing close quarters with other Sims. Work your way up from a starter unit to a penthouse as your Sims launch new metropolitan careers!

Explore the bustling city of San Myshuno.
    This densely populated city has enough unique neighborhoods to give your Sims plenty to explore. Get creative in the Arts Quarter or sing your heart out at the Karaoke Bar in the Fashion District. Head over to the Spice Market to shoot some hoops, or invite a few friends over to play video games after a long day at the office in Uptown.

Discover lively cultural festivals.
    Festivals are great opportunities to enrich your Sims. Let them watch street performers, enter competitions and meet a wide variety of folks from every walk of life. Check out the Curry Challenge at the Spice Festival or light fireworks with a hot date at the Romance Festival.

Live in apartments and get closer with your neighbors.
    Lots of new neighbors mean all kinds of opportunities for relationships, both good and bad. Your Sims might make a new best friend or fall in love, then debate giving them a key to their place. And what about those noisy neighbors and their late night dance parties? You’ll need to decide how to handle them – if you can’t beat them, maybe you should join them.

Work your way up from starter apartment to penthouse.
    Choosing the right apartment for your Sims can be a challenge. You’ll need to balance the charm of your first starter unit with possible setbacks, like cockroaches, leaky pipes or electrical problems. Help your Sims work their way up to living in a Skyscraper Penthouse, with panoramic views and even a Talking Toilet!

Embark on new, metropolitan careers.
    There are all kinds of new opportunities in the city so make sure your Sims take advantage of them. As a Politician, your Sims can make dramatic speeches while fighting for a good cause. Maybe they’d prefer a more refined career as a Food or Art Critic. Or they could inspire the masses working in Social Media.

Edit: Just incase some of you haven't seen it yet
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W458QnCVQik

Can you follow your Sim in the Politician career or do they disappear? Are any of the new careers like Get To Work?
    71rbpi.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Beanfoot wrote: »
    I'm absolutely excited for this! I can understand why some players aren't, but I'm a total TS2 fangirl and this pack has catered to my nostalgia, but guess what? It's working. The reason being that I'm a part of the players who have been asking for a lot of these features (e.g. the bubbler, protesters, karaoke, food stands, more cultural variety; to wit, this one looks like it's Asian metropolis based, not Western, a new world, new careers and the return of the political track, and the return of festivals). Also, I noticed this part:
    You’ll need to balance the charm of your first starter unit with possible setbacks, like cockroaches, leaky pipes or electrical problems.
    Um... YES?! I've been dying for drama, tragedy, and problems since I got this game. I know this isn't the family play many people want and I know that toddlers seem past the horizon as of yet, but I really am very excited for this pack.

This is why I'm getting excited!!
  • Options
    domina89domina89 Posts: 221 Member
    I'll wait for LGR to review but generally speaking, no, the announcement hasn't changed my opinion or my general lack of interest. Unless the culling problem is addressed, there's no point in my getting excited about a new neighborhood. I guess we'll see once it is released.
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I was cautiously excited before the official announcement.

After seeing the two trailer videos, I'm for-real excited.