Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has your opinions on City Living changed?

Comments

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited September 2016
    I didn't follow the pre-trailer rumours, but hearing about a city EP didn't sound like something for me really. I'm not super excited now either because I was at least hoping for something for the sims themself (better relationship system, favourites or something). I hate to sound so unimpressed, because TS4 is my favourite game of the series. I'm still looking forward to my opinion being changed.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Yes, I like it even better.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    edited September 2016
    IceyJ wrote: »
    james64468 wrote: »
    I don't consider this a family player ep. This don't really excite me. Sure there is some sims 2 stuff in it. But it not really that much different than what we have gotten. I don't know if this is expansion pack I am looking for. If it would had attraction system to it. Then I might have been excited for it. But I am going to see what LGR says and if it says it good then that change my opinion.

I have a feeling that LGR is gonna love it. He prefers packs that add more realism instead of fantasy, and Late Night was one of his favorite Sims 3 expansions. Not to say that City Living is like LN, it seems to be more like Apartment Life. Probably a blend of both.

Oh I hope he does. The forum is in love with him right now after he recent 'Meh' video. Would love to see the reaction around here if his review of this EP is a positive one, lol.

That's a funny thing to say. LGR has positively reviewed quite a few things that I have disliked and the opposite, completely written off a few of the packs I have loved. Either way I enjoy watching his videos as they amuse me.

If I ultimately decided I am not buying a pack and then notice that LGR loves it, makes no difference to my decision but I will have still enjoyed his video.

Ultimately, sadly I can not see LGR feeling overly positive as so far there have been no indication of any sort of game play included in City Living that extends the games replayability. Of course, as more information is released this may change.

*edited for typos.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Marnetti wrote: »
    Gosh, Grant is probably just slamming his head on a table. The blog meant in terms of rags to riches people. Realistically you'd work your way up, unless you're already rich. Why would penthouses be tied to a job?

I've said the same thing about a lot of the features that are already in the game. So...I would never give this team the benefit of doubt that they wouldn't implement something so ludicrous.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2016
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    My opinion remained the same. The only thing I really care about is the basketball hoop, the huka (if that is what its called) is just nasty and the apartments seem nice so far but they are not going to fix any of the issues I'm having once I hit live mode. Until more everyday basics fix this "perfect" world where beds make themselves there never a mess and important life stages are added everything is just band-aids on wound that needs stiches.

Well, there will surely be a nice, fat bugfix patch right before it releases. Doubt it will add life stages, though there should be some important fixes.

Well 'those people' must be me, so can you explain Grant's blog post over on the official description? I said I don't know, but it went straight into the new careers, and maybe that is the job reward. ??? I said I don't know but if that's the way it works I wouldn't want to be limited that way. If you notice in the first clip in the trailer, that lovely old brick building has basement windows..we know that's not possible right? So, I think I wouldn't be able to build that older looking apartment building myself (which would work great for Sherlock). The one with the map in front of it. We know how basements work so I would like to know if that is a fake backdrop house or if people can actually build those flats showing a room downstairs where Mrs. Hudson lived in the books. Those are two questions I hope they do answer. Basement windows possible? and is the penthouse an unlocked reward? Do you know?

ETA: This is in response to your statements to Bon about the penthouse questions she commented to me. I grabbed your wrong reply but too late now, but can you verify penthouses aren't tied to careers? I think they are.

ETA: For everyone lost of what I'm talking or questioning this statement snipped from Grant Rodiek's description. It was just worded curiously.

But don't worry, not everyone who lives in the city is wanting for space. As you work your way up through one of the new careers (Politician, Critic, and Social Media), you can afford a stunning new penthouse on the top floor! Penthouses provide a totally different experience, and we can't wait to tell you more about them in the coming months.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited September 2016
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    james64468 wrote: »
    I don't consider this a family player ep. This don't really excite me. Sure there is some sims 2 stuff in it. But it not really that much different than what we have gotten. I don't know if this is expansion pack I am looking for. If it would had attraction system to it. Then I might have been excited for it. But I am going to see what LGR says and if it says it good then that change my opinion.

I have a feeling that LGR is gonna love it. He prefers packs that add more realism instead of fantasy, and Late Night was one of his favorite Sims 3 expansions. Not to say that City Living is like LN, it seems to be more like Apartment Life. Probably a blend of both.

Oh I hope he does. The forum is in love with him right now after he recent 'Meh' video. Would love to see the reaction around here if his review of this EP is a positive one, lol.

That's a funny thing to say. LGR has positively reviewed quite a few things that I have disliked and the opposite, completely written off a few of the packs I have loved. Either way I enjoy watching his videos as they amuse me.

If I ultimately decided I am not buying a pack and then notice that LGR loves it, makes no difference to my decision but I will have still enjoyed his video.

Ultimately, sadly I can not see LGR feeling overly positive as so far there have been no indication of any sort of game play included in City Living that extends the games replayability. Of course, as more information is released this may change.

*edited for typos.

All of this but emphasis on bolded. Since the crux of his issues centered on the lacking nature of the core simulation and the soulless Sims themselves, I doubt that this EP would change that overall opinion. While CL looks pretty and cute, as I was sure it would, and there's lots of "stuff", I've seen nothing to suggest that my Sims won't be just as much of a clone of every other Sim whether they be living in the Big City or in a cottage in Willow Creek. If more information is revealed that shows that some depth has been added then great! I'll eat my words with a side of mashed potatoes.

ETA: As far as my opinion changing? No, it's pretty much been everything I expected to see so far. I look forward to them revealing something astonishing and unexpected. I do love City Worlds, my favorite city has always been Bridgeport, but I'd only pick this up on a major sale, if at all.
    Post edited by mortia on
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I always wait for the announcement of some sort, trailer or teaser I wait for something official before I begin to form an actual opinion. So no my feelings haven't changed. I still do not know if I will buy it or not.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • trintastictrintastic Posts: 323 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    My opinion remained the same. The only thing I really care about is the basketball hoop, the huka (if that is what its called) is just nasty and the apartments seem nice so far but they are not going to fix any of the issues I'm having once I hit live mode. Until more everyday basics fix this "perfect" world where beds make themselves there never a mess and important life stages are added everything is just band-aids on wound that needs stiches.

Well, there will surely be a nice, fat bugfix patch right before it releases. Doubt it will add life stages, though there should be some important fixes.

Well 'those people' must be me, so can you explain Grant's blog post over on the official description? I said I don't know, but it went straight into the new careers, and maybe that is the job reward. ??? I said I don't know but if that's the way it works I wouldn't want to be limited that way. If you notice in the first clip in the trailer, that lovely old brick building has basement windows..we know that's not possible right? So, I think I wouldn't be able to build that older looking apartment building myself (which would work great for Sherlock). The one with the map in front of it. We know how basements work so I would like to know if that is a fake backdrop house or if people can actually build those flats showing a room downstairs where Mrs. Hudson lived in the books. Those are two questions I hope they do answer. Basement windows possible? and is the penthouse an unlocked reward? Do you know?

ETA: This is in response to your statements to Bon about the penthouse questions she commented to me. I grabbed your wrong reply but too late now, but can you verify penthouses aren't tied to careers? I think they are.

ETA: For everyone lost of what I'm talking or questioning this statement snipped from Grant Rodiek's description. It was just worded curiously.

But don't worry, not everyone who lives in the city is wanting for space. As you work your way up through one of the new careers (Politician, Critic, and Social Media), you can afford a stunning new penthouse on the top floor! Penthouses provide a totally different experience, and we can't wait to tell you more about them in the coming months.

The fact that the verb is "afford" and not "unlock" tells me that it's a parallel being drawn, as someone else suggested, and not that penthouses are locked to these new careers. That's just how I read it, though.
  • KbgirleeKbgirlee Posts: 105 Member
    I really wasn't impressed with the leaks, but the trailer looks amazing! Could just be clever EA editing, but I was way more impressed with this trailer than the teaser for Get Together. I haven't played the game in months due to boredom, but hopefully this will reinvigorate the game! Already thinking of story lines!
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,414 Member
    Yep, I went from pretty happy to ecstatic. Especially when I saw the hookah and video games.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Hi,

I wanted to start a quick discussion and see if some of the people that weren't really interested in the upcoming EP opinions changed. From all the leaks it sounded great, not something I was really asking for, you know? That being said I thought if it was done well it would be a great thing for the community and game. After watching the trailer today, I'm officially excited cause this looks like an actual EP and the start of a new beginning for the Sims 4.

So back to what the topic is about, now that you've gotten the chance to take a look at the trailer and what's all to come, Are you now excited? I think this could actually be a really good EP for some family players, living in close quarters and dealing with rude neighbors. Imagine the stories that could be told with this EP.
    ...snip

My opinion hasn't changed yet. It may after we have more info.

I expected a pretty world, check. I expected items for my sim to interact with, check. I expected CAS items, check. I expected build items, check.
    All these things are great, they look beautiful, the new tattoos look fab as do the new hairs. I really love the new apartment style floor-to-ceiling windows. No complaints about what I have seen so far at all. I just hope that there is more.

:D

You know....
    sims-4-city-living-expansion-com.jpg

Am I the only one who's slightly obsessed with the boy on the left? He's so gorgeous!
    Kbgirlee wrote: »
    sims-4-city-living-expansion-com.jpg

Am I the only one who's slightly obsessed with the boy on the left? He's so gorgeous!

Quite the opposite. I find his face uniquely punchable.
    :D Different opinions I guess lol
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2016
    No, because I never entirely formed one, though in the beginning because the leaks focused so little on core features and named others that were a little mundane I was begining to not like the EP and honestly wasn't seeing enough content for a 40 euro EP. Much like what GT is.

But, I still don't have a concrete opinion as we still don't know a lot but I think there seems to be enough content, seems.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited September 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    No, because I never entirely formed one, though in the beginning because the leaks focused so little on core features and named others that were a little mundane I was begining to not like the EP and honestly wasn't seeing enough content for a 40 euro EP. Much like what GT is.

But, I still don't have a concrete opinion as we still don't know a lot but I think I might actually buy it as there seems to be enough content, seems.

I'm waiting to see what's actually in the pack and not a glitzy trailer. I doubt I will get it because there's no added life state and that's important to me. I just feel like the same disappointment that happened to many after DO is going to show up again. I see people hopefully posting that they hope this or that will be in the EP and I can't help but feel there's going to be some big disappointments.

Kbgirlee wrote: »

I don't know if you are but from the look he has on his face I wouldn't want to know him. Looks a little like a jock with an inflated opinion of himself.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

But, I still don't have a concrete opinion as we still don't know a lot but I think I might actually buy it as there seems to be enough content, seems.

I'm waiting to see what's actually in the pack and not a glitzy trailer. I doubt I will get it because there's no added life state and that's important to me. I just feel like the same disappointment that happened to many after DO is going to show up again. I see people hopefully posting that they hope this or that will be in the EP and I can't help but feel there's going to be some big disappointments.

So am I. This will actually be the first time I won't pre-order something, in fact I might never do it again, it's a waste of money when the content hits you and it sucks. If it was today I wouldn't have bought GT as an example, I pre-ordered it thinking it would have those mystical creatures Lyndsay spoke in that IGN interview sadly it didn't and here we are. I don't blame her, even if things change, I blame myself for buying ahead of time.

But I too am disgusted that they didn't put a lifestate in, it leaves a bad after taste in my mouth. People who dislike lifestates are the only ones commenting they like them to be in a separated pack, honestly it's kind of discriminating against players who love occults, and we all know that it's not going to make them better if they are in a separated pack, as TS2 and even TS3 had no issues regarding that. They probably just have low budget to do anything concerning TS4 so they cut lifestates. Sadly by this rythm we might not have such EP or it might be the last, we only have 2 EP's the third comes in November Seasons and Pets still missing no sign of toddlers they don't have time to do everything.

The thing is, even if the pack turns out good, part of me doesn't want to support this negligence for occults on EP's.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • paige35617paige35617 Posts: 52 Member
    After hearing the rumors I was definitely disappointed, but after seeing the trailer my hopes are back up. :smiley: It looks like such a GREAT pack!!!! There is so much stuff it amazes me!! -- But, playing devil's advocate, there are definitely packs that should have been prioritized like generations, seasons, or pets. I won't be getting this day one and I will wait to see gameplay reviews. -- Nonetheless, it looks like an amazing pack from the trailer.
    "Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass… It’s about learning to dance in the rain" - Vivian Greene

tumblr_lzyx3cfbsx1ql141xo1_250.gif
    I get the frustration. The lack of lifestates is irritating. I do question the amount of time they spend making things nobody asked for while ignoring what the community wants. I'm not trying to hate because I understand the cost and amount of time that would go into creating a new lifestate, but wouldn't it be worth it to make something people really want rather than a bunch of little things people don't care that much about? Again, no hate because I love the sims, just stating my opinion.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    paige35617 wrote: »
    After hearing the rumors I was definitely disappointed, but after seeing the trailer my hopes are back up. :smiley: It looks like such a GREAT pack!!!! There is so much stuff it amazes me!! -- But, playing devil's advocate, there are definitely packs that should have been prioritized like generations, seasons, or pets. I won't be getting this day one and I will wait to see gameplay reviews. -- Nonetheless, it looks like an amazing pack from the trailer.

Of course it looks amazing. Trailers are made by talented people to showcase the best of something. They are designed to sell you things.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    My opinion did change, but not for the better. There was no sign of bands or a drumset, no supernaturals of any kind, no terrarium pets (I know major pets would have to come in their own EP), no careers that I care about. (How about rock star, model or actor? All of those would have worked beautifully with the city theme.) No word on traits.

I'm still excited about the city and the cultural festivals and apartments, but everything else was just window dressing.
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Hi,

I wanted to start a quick discussion and see if some of the people that weren't really interested in the upcoming EP opinions changed. From all the leaks it sounded great, not something I was really asking for, you know? That being said I thought if it was done well it would be a great thing for the community and game. After watching the trailer today, I'm officially excited cause this looks like an actual EP and the start of a new beginning for the Sims 4.

So back to what the topic is about, now that you've gotten the chance to take a look at the trailer and what's all to come, Are you now excited? I think this could actually be a really good EP for some family players, living in close quarters and dealing with rude neighbors. Imagine the stories that could be told with this EP.
    ...snip

I expected a pretty world, check. I expected items for my sim to interact with, check. I expected CAS items, check. I expected build items, check.
    All these things are great, they look beautiful, the new tattoos look fab as do the new hairs. I really love the new apartment style floor-to-ceiling windows. No complaints about what I have seen so far at all. I just hope that there is more.

You know....

Ummm...no?

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I think it looks amazing. I am just really bummed out that it doesn't have a life state. If there was a life state, I would be over the moon.
    Hi,

...snip

You know....

Ummm...no?

Oh yes you do.
    Hi,

...snip

You know....

Ummm...no?

Oh yes you do.

ok..never mind, I'm a bit confused about your initial reply to me but that's ok if you don't want to explain.