Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Backyard Stuff Speculations

Comments

• Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    I keep thinking that the little wind spinner thing is to keep birds away from the plants. Adding birds that eat our sims gardens? idk but this thought is stuck in my head now.

Yep. I mentioned that in another earlier in this thread too!

I did see your post but I couldn't quote it for some reason! :/ I guess the wind-thingy could just be a garden light though.

I dunno. I think it's a little more than that. Since it's front and center and spins. It's meant to be noticed. Since Graham deferred to simguruneel about it and neel is client systems engineer, I think it means that whatever it represents is tying in to main game functioning and making sure it all works together. But that may be more than what it means too. lol

I guess we will see this quarter!

I also saw a request somewhere (possibly build feedback thread) for vertical rotation for wall décor. So you could hang pictures and other things at an angle, upside down or on it's side... Multiplying décor options exponentially.

The vertically spinning windmill, and the spinning toilet @SimGuruNeel responded with might have been hints to something like that.
  • Options
    KeyenpeydeeKeyenpeydee Posts: 9,280 Member
    edited July 2016
    My over all speculation is:

- Baby customizations. (i hope so)
    - Baby Sitter NPC
    - Backyard Stuff: Lemonade and those swings, trampolines. Those clothes. Everything.
    - The Bird: Pets and The Music
    - The Kids: Conversion of YA hair to Child Hair and unnatural hair colors.
    Queen of Rap, Nicki Minaj // minajsalad
    tumblr_nijden3ooM1qb9pa3o1_500.gifv

• Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    I keep thinking that the little wind spinner thing is to keep birds away from the plants. Adding birds that eat our sims gardens? idk but this thought is stuck in my head now.

I did see your post but I couldn't quote it for some reason! :/ I guess the wind-thingy could just be a garden light though.

I dunno. I think it's a little more than that. Since it's front and center and spins. It's meant to be noticed. Since Graham deferred to simguruneel about it and neel is client systems engineer, I think it means that whatever it represents is tying in to main game functioning and making sure it all works together. But that may be more than what it means too. lol

I also saw a request somewhere (possibly build feedback thread) for vertical rotation for wall décor. So you could hang pictures and other things at an angle, upside down or on it's side... Multiplying décor options exponentially.

The vertically spinning windmill, and the spinning toilet @SimGuruNeel responded with might have been hints to something like that.

Oh it could be that indeed !
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member

This is a good idea too! It certainly makes more sense of the toilet gif... kinda.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

Well, that's interesting, but I'm not sure how important that is just to have objects on their side or upside down. lol

Don't get me wrong, I do love the tab option when placing and moving items! But I don't know if I need to put them upside down.
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member

Well, that's interesting, but I'm not sure how important that is just to have objects on their side or upside down. lol

Don't get me wrong, I do love the tab option when placing and moving items! But I don't know if I need to put them upside down.

Having posters and paintings hang at an angle could give more possibilities, since when decorating walls with posters, the problem usually is that the usually look the same as another wall with posters would be. Being able to change the angles of recolors would also be helpful, since know the unlockable painter one is hard to use repetitively since it'll all look the same.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    CroxycookCroxycook Posts: 239 Member
    Extending that to wall items, as well, would be very welcome.

I kind of hope the pack comes with more outdoor wall decorations like the garden hose, too. Maybe an item with tools hanging on it. Not the display, but like what a lot of people have in their garages and shops.

Window air conditioners. Antenna and decorative satellites.

You know, I could really go for a miscellaneous build mode stuff pack, really. Just all assets being for build mode only.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    QDog wrote: »
    Neia wrote: »
    Reposting here my own speculations from the other thread

One free patch will probably include a baby sitter, perhaps some new interactions with the baby or some customizations options ?
    Then one free patch with lemonade, a juicer would be awesome.
    For the bird, I'm not sure, it reminds me of bird watching indeed, but how would that work ? In TS2, nothing happened when you did it if I remember right.
    And there's also this odd spinning thing, which reminds me of the psychiatrist spinning thing in TS2.
    We may see more adult/child conversion too, because of the child hair.

The odd spinning thing is a yard spinner, it's typical backyard or front yard decor

mFjZIFjxPPjp_dr7VnzrijQ.jpg

Yes, FX guys needed some work. Lots of FX stuff in this game. When might we see actual simulation as in real wind moving those things? Too complicated? Complexity is the enemy so maybe never.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

One free patch will probably include a baby sitter, perhaps some new interactions with the baby or some customizations options ?
    For the bird, I'm not sure, it reminds me of bird watching indeed, but how would that work ? In TS2, nothing happened when you did it if I remember right.
    And there's also this odd spinning thing, which reminds me of the psychiatrist spinning thing in TS2.

The odd spinning thing is a yard spinner, it's typical backyard or front yard decor

Yes, FX guys needed some work. Lots of FX stuff in this game. When might we see actual simulation as in real wind moving those things? Too complicated? Complexity is the enemy so maybe never.

Little info of the day :
    There are two people credited for FX on the Sims 4. Both of them have been working on the Sims franchise since the TS2 era !
  • Options
    familysimfamilysim Posts: 21 Member
    Has anyone else thought that the kid with the adult hair is a hint at pre-teens? Everyone is looking for hints for toddlers so they are not going to make it that obvious they want it to be a surprise. She said that there is no hint for toddlers but she said nothing about pre-teens and they go hand in hand. *fingers crossed for generations*
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I wonder if we'll have a competition (like glowfruit) and the prize will be the spinner.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Toblie wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong I would LOVE all of those but SPs do not usually come with new animations and if new animations are added they aren't usually very complex. SimGuruGraham already confirmed that lounge chairs would be too much work for a SP because of the new animations that would be required (particularly multitasking while lounging), so I wouldn't hold my breath for those activities as they look like they would be animation heavy...

I just want to correct this as to set expectations properly for those who are guessing, and those who haven't tried a Sims 4 Stuff Pack yet... Stuff packs in The Sims 4 always come with new animations.

What people typically don't understand about why lounge chairs would take so much animation work, is that it would require re-authoring almost all of the social animation content that's currently in-game to take place from a relaxed posture (which ties into supporting multi-tasking, but is not the extent of the work that would be necessary to fully support multi-tasking). Currently those animations only support seated and standing postures. Swings present a similar problem in terms of how existing animations would be incorporated into such an object, where the position of the Sim's hands and feet wouldn't necessarily align with the suite of existing animation content we'd want to support Sims performing from that object.

Anyway, happy guessing :smile:

So you'd basically need to create a new "family" of animations in order to allow for the Sims to recline back and still be able to interact with other Sims, as well as a new transition animation?

Isn't that their job though, developing new animations, not just recycling or tweaking the ones already in the game. If i had the skills I'd love to be able to develop or make new animations. Sadly I do not.

The budget for those animations (mainly accounting for the needed time, as part of Cost Accounting) are beyond the budget of a stuff pack. Doesn't mean we won't get lounge chairs in the future, just not in an SP. If we got a vacation GP that's focused on beach resorts, that would be the ideal theme for including them. It's not just the reclining back, but being able to do things while reclining; it's a lot more involved than you think.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options

Having posters and paintings hang at an angle could give more possibilities, since when decorating walls with posters, the problem usually is that the usually look the same as another wall with posters would be. Being able to change the angles of recolors would also be helpful, since know the unlockable painter one is hard to use repetitively since it'll all look the same.

Would also give more options for layering posters (plus the new wall decals in Kids Stuff) by putting them at an angle.

I'm still not sure that the old lady with the baby indicates the return of nannies, since a lot of people have pointed out they're not really useful the way the current game is structured. I'm wondering if it's an indication that we're getting more content for all age stages, or maybe that the pack involves more activities for an "ordinary" family (as opposed to Perfect Patio which with the hot tubs and the grill/counter set seemed more geared to upscale households).
  • Options
    imhappy wrote: »
    I wonder if we'll have a competition (like glowfruit) and the prize will be the spinner.

I'd prefer a community-wide event (like the Team Trick/Team Treat) with the spinner as an unlocked item for everyone. Just think of all the people who've bought Sims 4 on the recent Origin sale -- they can't access the Growfruit planters (without cheats) until/unless the challenge comes back next Spring. (I also missed the Growfruit because life was just way too hectic to play the challenge all the way through before Jasmine left.)
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member

It's the addition of this that I can't work out the implication of, along with the bird in the thought bubble.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    I8PIKACHUI8PIKACHU Posts: 572 Member
    The yard spinner is not just for decoration. They are used to eliminate underground mammals such as moles, shrews, rabbits, etc... Apparently, the vibrations are unsettling to them so they stay away from them.
    soul-glo.gif
    Let your soul shine through.
  • Options
    AmyDamesAmyDames Posts: 353 Member
    edited July 2016
    Birds and rabbits in the backyard would be amazing!! Especially if you could catch them as pets. An aviary a hutch! Too much?
  • Options
    Linabelina360Linabelina360 Posts: 362 Member

- thought bubbles: I just don't understand the bird one. Either we are getting bird watching back (never really cared for it but it would be a nice thing to do for my sims that visit Granite Falls) or it's a hint towards the next EP (which shouldn't be showcased in this teaser anyway since it has been confirmed that no EP is coming this quarter...).

It looks like a tropical bird so possibly a new vacation area?
    tumblr_n9ycvbU66h1tv6zypo1_500.gif
    The heart can't beat with out a rhythm
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member

- thought bubbles: I just don't understand the bird one. Either we are getting bird watching back (never really cared for it but it would be a nice thing to do for my sims that visit Granite Falls) or it's a hint towards the next EP (which shouldn't be showcased in this teaser anyway since it has been confirmed that no EP is coming this quarter...).

It looks like a tropical bird so possibly a new vacation area?

We can only hope!
  • Options
    starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member
    Toblie wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong I would LOVE all of those but SPs do not usually come with new animations and if new animations are added they aren't usually very complex. SimGuruGraham already confirmed that lounge chairs would be too much work for a SP because of the new animations that would be required (particularly multitasking while lounging), so I wouldn't hold my breath for those activities as they look like they would be animation heavy...

I just want to correct this as to set expectations properly for those who are guessing, and those who haven't tried a Sims 4 Stuff Pack yet... Stuff packs in The Sims 4 always come with new animations.

What people typically don't understand about why lounge chairs would take so much animation work, is that it would require re-authoring almost all of the social animation content that's currently in-game to take place from a relaxed posture (which ties into supporting multi-tasking, but is not the extent of the work that would be necessary to fully support multi-tasking). Currently those animations only support seated and standing postures. Swings present a similar problem in terms of how existing animations would be incorporated into such an object, where the position of the Sim's hands and feet wouldn't necessarily align with the suite of existing animation content we'd want to support Sims performing from that object.

Anyway, happy guessing :smile:

So you'd basically need to create a new "family" of animations in order to allow for the Sims to recline back and still be able to interact with other Sims, as well as a new transition animation?

Isn't that their job though, developing new animations, not just recycling or tweaking the ones already in the game. If i had the skills I'd love to be able to develop or make new animations. Sadly I do not.

The budget for those animations (mainly accounting for the needed time, as part of Cost Accounting) are beyond the budget of a stuff pack. Doesn't mean we won't get lounge chairs in the future, just not in an SP. If we got a vacation GP that's focused on beach resorts, that would be the ideal theme for including them. It's not just the reclining back, but being able to do things while reclining; it's a lot more involved than you think.

Just as follow up here is the link to Graham's post specifically about lawn chairs not fitting in stuff packs and explaining why it's harder than it seems on the surface: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14988679/#Comment_14988679
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • Options
    thelawtmanthelawtman Posts: 1,424 Member
    I would love to see a bird feeder or bird bath, that would be interesting.
    Could it possibly get uglier? I used to be a highly respected watcher, and now I'm a wounded dwarf with the mystical strength of a doily. I just wish I could sleep. - Rupert Giles

lpOEB4y.gif MeEUgvO.gif
  • Options
    familysimfamilysim Posts: 21 Member
    thelawtman wrote: »
    I would love to see a bird feeder or bird bath, that would be interesting.

they already have a bird bath
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,460 Member
    edited July 2016
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I think they just used Gladys to play the part of the loving grandma.

My hope if for more pool items,
    like a water volleyball net, inflatables, inner tubes
    and then just more games, like football, ultimate frisbee, soccer, tennis
    tree houses for a woohoo spot
    Sheds/barn for a woohoo spot

I expect more hot tubs/jacuzzis
    Grills
    Outdoor fire pits/fireplaces
    lanterns/tiki torches
    terrain stuff
    other patio furniture
    canopies
    hammocks
    koi pond w/ waterfall... maybe.

those would be my wants and wishes.

I expect 4 out 13 of my list.

I hope you're right about hammocks. I could use those in Granite Falls. I also hope your right about hottubs maybe a heart shaped hottub for two.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,460 Member
    That picnic basket on the table could still be a gameplay object even though it's probelbly just decor. With moveobjects on I"m sure you could put a gameplay picnic basket on the table. I wouldn't rule it out though likely unfortuanly it's just decor.

If they can have one in TS3 that has gameplay they can in TS4.