Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Backyard Stuff Speculations

Comments

• Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I keep thinking that the little wind spinner thing is to keep birds away from the plants. Adding birds that eat our sims gardens? idk but this thought is stuck in my head now.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    edited July 2016
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    I keep thinking that the little wind spinner thing is to keep birds away from the plants. Adding birds that eat our sims gardens? idk but this thought is stuck in my head now.

Yep. I mentioned that in another earlier in this thread too!
  • Options
    fullspiral wrote: »

I did see your post but I couldn't quote it for some reason! :/ I guess the wind-thingy could just be a garden light though.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    QDog wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong I would LOVE all of those but SPs do not usually come with new animations and if new animations are added they aren't usually very complex. SimGuruGraham already confirmed that lounge chairs would be too much work for a SP because of the new animations that would be required (particularly multitasking while lounging), so I wouldn't hold my breath for those activities as they look like they would be animation heavy...

I just want to correct this as to set expectations properly for those who are guessing, and those who haven't tried a Sims 4 Stuff Pack yet... Stuff packs in The Sims 4 always come with new animations.

What people typically don't understand about why lounge chairs would take so much animation work, is that it would require re-authoring almost all of the social animation content that's currently in-game to take place from a relaxed posture (which ties into supporting multi-tasking, but is not the extent of the work that would be necessary to fully support multi-tasking). Currently those animations only support seated and standing postures. Swings present a similar problem in terms of how existing animations would be incorporated into such an object, where the position of the Sim's hands and feet wouldn't necessarily align with the suite of existing animation content we'd want to support Sims performing from that object.

Anyway, happy guessing :smile:

So you'd basically need to create a new "family" of animations in order to allow for the Sims to recline back and still be able to interact with other Sims, as well as a new transition animation?
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Croxycook wrote: »
    I saw some speculation about bassinets working differently. Possibly being able to move them outside of build mode.[/i]

Wondering if maybe, not TOTALLY untying babies, but maybe making it possible to switch them between two bassinets or something? I mean, probably not, but maybe?

I think the pinwheel is likely a loading screen thing BUT a stylized animation of something coming in the pack? Like pinwheels children can run around with? Or maybe pinwheels that can be snapped to various furniture?

Yeah. I kind of speculated on that since the bassinet is outside with everyone else. Maybe we will get baby seats, or blankets we can move the babies on to.
    A drop down option of put baby: in bassinet
    : in swing
    : on blanket

It would be nice!

I don't think that the bassinet has anything to do with the "backyard" table or outside. It may hint at a nanny. The teaser has no inside or outside, it's background is white, so you might as well say the table and chairs are in the babies room.
  • Options
    ToblieToblie Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited July 2016
    Don't get me wrong I would LOVE all of those but SPs do not usually come with new animations and if new animations are added they aren't usually very complex. SimGuruGraham already confirmed that lounge chairs would be too much work for a SP because of the new animations that would be required (particularly multitasking while lounging), so I wouldn't hold my breath for those activities as they look like they would be animation heavy...

I just want to correct this as to set expectations properly for those who are guessing, and those who haven't tried a Sims 4 Stuff Pack yet... Stuff packs in The Sims 4 always come with new animations.

What people typically don't understand about why lounge chairs would take so much animation work, is that it would require re-authoring almost all of the social animation content that's currently in-game to take place from a relaxed posture (which ties into supporting multi-tasking, but is not the extent of the work that would be necessary to fully support multi-tasking). Currently those animations only support seated and standing postures. Swings present a similar problem in terms of how existing animations would be incorporated into such an object, where the position of the Sim's hands and feet wouldn't necessarily align with the suite of existing animation content we'd want to support Sims performing from that object.

So you'd basically need to create a new "family" of animations in order to allow for the Sims to recline back and still be able to interact with other Sims, as well as a new transition animation?

Isn't that their job though, developing new animations, not just recycling or tweaking the ones already in the game. If i had the skills I'd love to be able to develop or make new animations. Sadly I do not.
  • Options

I did see your post but I couldn't quote it for some reason! :/ I guess the wind-thingy could just be a garden light though.

I dunno. I think it's a little more than that. Since it's front and center and spins. It's meant to be noticed. Since Graham deferred to simguruneel about it and neel is client systems engineer, I think it means that whatever it represents is tying in to main game functioning and making sure it all works together. But that may be more than what it means too. lol

I guess we will see this quarter!
  • Options
    Toblie wrote: »

Isn't that their job though, developing new animations, not just recycling a tweaking the ones already in the game. If i had the skills I'd love to be able to develop or make new animations. Sadly I do not.

Well, I think it'd also involve having to adjust the social animations for them reclining back so it doesn't clip through the chair or look odd. The Sims in this iteration for some reason use their hands a lot in order to express themselves, so it'll also have to adjust them for that. They're probably determined to allow your Sim to be social while sitting in a lounge chair instead of an isolated island that can't speak to anyone. The problem is, they've never really done this before, so they'll try to make the animations polished and not look weird while in the thing.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    ToblieToblie Posts: 3,099 Member

Isn't that their job though, developing new animations, not just recycling a tweaking the ones already in the game. If i had the skills I'd love to be able to develop or make new animations. Sadly I do not.

Well, I think it'd also involve having to adjust the social animations for them reclining back so it doesn't clip through the chair or look odd. The Sims in this iteration for some reason use their hands a lot in order to express themselves, so it'll also have to adjust them for that. They're probably determined to allow your Sim to be social while sitting in a lounge chair instead of an isolated island that can't speak to anyone. The problem is, they've never really done this before, so they'll try to make the animations polished and not look weird while in the thing.

Interesting, I never thought of that.
  • Options

Isn't that their job though, developing new animations, not just recycling or tweaking the ones already in the game. If i had the skills I'd love to be able to develop or make new animations. Sadly I do not.

Stuff Packs are meant to be small and fast to create. Reprogramming everything so sims can do reclined that they can do sitting takes time, programmers and money that is not given to SP's, so it's better for an EP.
  • Options

I dunno. I think it's a little more than that. Since it's front and center and spins. It's meant to be noticed. Since Graham deferred to simguruneel about it and neel is client systems engineer, I think it means that whatever it represents is tying in to main game functioning and making sure it all works together. But that may be more than what it means too. lol

Oh gosh..now I'm even more intrigued. :) I'm not good at waiting...

• Options

:) I'm not good at waiting either, but I do have fun speculating. Even though it looks like not much is coming in the next few months I think some good things are coming in the quarter following this, and a lot of time and manpower is being put in to it.
  • Options
    Okay, so if the whirly gig, spiny, light up flower, color wheel (oops, it's not a color wheel) backyard(? not front) object actually DOES something, what does it do? What could it do? If it's in your sims backyard, what is it causing to happen or stopping from happening? Does it help flowers grow... flowers in S4 don't grow. Maybe helps veggies grow? What do you think it will do?
  • Options

:) I'm not good at waiting either, but I do have fun speculating. Even though it looks like not much is coming in the next few months I think some good things are coming in the quarter following this, and a lot of time and manpower is being put in to it.

I'm quietly hopeful for the following quarter too! I've decided to keep myself busy and start Pinstars Apocalypse Challenge. It's been a while since I've played through all the careers so I thought I'd change it up and make the teen job requirements linked to the active careers...making it a bit harder as well by starting with a brand new sim with no skills.

Least this will keep me too busy to drive myself nuts wondering about the wind thingy! :s

• Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Okay, so if the whirly gig, spiny, light up flower, color wheel (oops, it's not a color wheel) backyard(? not front) object actually DOES something, what does it do? What could it do? If it's in your sims backyard, what is it causing to happen or stopping from happening? Does it help flowers grow... flowers in S4 don't grow. Maybe helps veggies grow? What do you think it will do?

We have absolutely no idea. It's just... there, and... spinning. Ask @SimGuruNeel . @SimGuruGraham had no idea why it was there and deflected it to him.
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,711 Member
    The guy's hair tho... Take my money!

And yeah, I think maybe we might get nannies in a patch.
    My Top Song of the Day: The Blackest of Birds by Fightstar
    Y2D8eAf.gif
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »
    The guy's hair tho... Take my money!

And yeah, I think maybe we might get nannies in a patch.

ikr, so nice!

• Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited July 2016
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

We have absolutely no idea. It's just... there, and... spinning. Ask @SimGuruNeel . @SimGuruGraham had no idea why it was there and deflected it to him.

Thought I'd leave the response here that was gotten. Just for laughs.

*waves goodnight*

• Options
    @SimGuruGraham anything you'd like to add about the wind spinner thingy?? #I'mYRbiggestfan

• Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I don't care about lounge chairs. I rather have the team work on other things. Thanks for all the info!
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    Thank you for the explanation , @SimGuruGraham ! I was wondering what the extra needs were exactly for that. And hadn't even thought of thinks like hand positions on swings - and now I'm realizing that our CAS range could make swings need extra dev time too - but also could make them even more super awesome! So maybe you can tell someone in GPs or EPs about how super awesome CAS could make swings, between our really skinny Sims and our really not skinny ones ;)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member

Essentially, yes. That suite/family of animations that I'm talking about supporting is well into the hundreds (if not thousands; which wouldn't surprise me - I don't have the numbers handy) of different animations, each needing to be adjusted to work from this new relaxed posture that Sims would be in. It isn't the same amount of work as authoring new animations from scratch, but it's certainly significantly more than we can fit within the schedule of a stuff pack. That's why when people ask about them I mention that there's nothing technically stopping us from adding them, they would just need to happen in a larger pack that can accommodate that work.

Thank you for explaining this - I'd always been thinking of the transition animation and hadn't really appreciated that all the work was in something else entirely.

As for my speculation - I'm still mostly on wait and see, besides hoping for a (caged) bird pet. Oh and I want that kids hair with highlights for a particular child-sim that I've been making due with the red hair as dye until now but was meant to have something more like that.

OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • Options
    SommoreButtaSommoreButta Posts: 489 Member
    I hope a hammock is included. New summer clothes.
    sdaomhlfplv5.png Bestie's In Sim Form
  • Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    I'm hoping for something that lets people take the baby outside. That and other family related stuff. Just glad that the picture shows more than just a bunch of young adults.