Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited June 2023
    @GlacierSnow

Yeah I do sometimes write things when I think of it
    or do little notes if its fabulous enough idea id regret to forget

I just feel like when I do that I miss out on lots of situational comedy
    since I'm not doing all random things and finding funny stuff
    when i have sort of script in my hands

also its so true that readers and writer have so different idea about story sometimes :joy:

theres this one comment that always gives me the evil chuckles when i see it
    because I just know they're going to be so disappointed when/if I continue the story😈
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    @GlacierSnow Your story isn't childish at all ^u^ A story being fun and comedic at its heart doesn't make it childish. As hilarious as it sounds coming from one of the edgiest writers in the Creative Corner, not everything has to be about major doom and gloom in a story to be good < 3

@Simmingal I used to do challenge stories, except the story part would outweigh the challenge part. And then because of the challenge progress the story part would had to suffer and it was tough challenging both what I wanted for the story and what was needed for the challenge / gameplay. I also have a habit of planning way ahead. I have two notes at the top of my planning document, 'X does not survive the story' and 'Y does not survive the story' and I coin-flipped for this between a few unlucky characters very early on. : P
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    @SnowBnuuy Thank you. :heart: I really appreciate your support.

It's not so much the comedic or fun parts that make me feel like a childish sort of writer. It's my overall outlook (going back to the conversation we were having on the Art of Simlit thread) of having a fairly positive and optimistic message over all of "everyone is a person even if you disagree with them", and not allowing any character to really be wholly the "bad guy" in my stories (at least not for long), that sometimes feels super-naive compared to a lot of the other stories being written these days. I'm like Ion. I think everyone is good.

My stories do deal with some themes like trauma and various scary/painful/dangerous things happening to the characters (I mean, we've already got one character who's gone "missing", and there is definitely something painful in Reuben's past, and yes, there will be more "bad" stuff coming) but usually I write about it in a non-dark kind of way. Everyone interprets things differently, of course, but I still feel like the story stays relatively warm and lighthearted even when the worst stuff is happening. And it all comes out okay in the end, because I like happy endings, enemies becoming friends, and minimal "realistic" consequences. Edgier writers sometimes make me feel sort of, I don't know, called out or something.

But I genuinely believe in the overall humanity of humans. And I'm not trying to say anything about the real world anyway. I'm trying to create drama that is fun for the readers even if it's no fun at all for the characters. Stories where, even if the characters are miserable about something, the audience is still having fun watching them be miserable. And then I wonder if I'm a bad person because of that. I can't tell the difference between readers who are having fun reacting to the story, just acting like they are mad or worried or whatever because it's fun to get "into" it, and readers who are actually upset about what's happening. And I wonder if I shouldn't treat serious subjects in such a lighthearted manner. And that makes me nervous about things I have planned. Once I start feeling nervous, it's very hard to keep writing.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    @GlacierSnow Trust me, the way you're doing things already is absolutely fine. < 3 3

I think the way you write about those things works in the scheme of things. You're not mocking things that are bad, you're writing it so it still fits the tone of your story without being considered too 'out there'. And considering a majority of the story is from Ion's perspective, who's fairly optimistic, maybe naive at times, it makes sense.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    @Snowbnuuy I'm always glad you like it. :smile: Kind of hard to talk about what I mean without giving away spoilers, but some of the other characters will be getting more POV time as we go. Tangled soap-opera drama mess on its way. Ion's way of responding is definitely Ion though.

I like what I am cooking up. Hopefully you will too. But, I think I'll take your advice you've mentioned before. I'm mostly writing for me.

Thank you for talking with me. I'm back up and working on it.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited June 2023
    I don't think its childish at all

I often find it most childish when I have these absolute edgelord stories

cause they remind me of those edgelord anime I would watch as kid
    that be like "I AM THE EVIL, THE MASTER OF DARKNESS
    AND I AM HERE TO BE EVIL I HAVE NO SOUL AND YOU CAN'T CHANGE MY MIND"
    like geez I get it bro made yourself loud and clear there would you like a snickers?

evil dude: *pouts* NO

at some point it just starts giving toddler tantrum over the evil mastermind
    if you keep being edgy about everything you know

same goes if whole story is just edgy happenings after edgy happenings
    and the characters just be edgy about it like " goodness does not exist rip"

much less childish to try and get over the edgy at some point
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free