Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Ooo... I took Latin in high school. It was required for advanced chorale classes because I was at a Catholic school and we sang at masses from time to time. I loved it. Still fascinating to this day and helps me understand bits and pieces of other languages. It's fun to learn roots of words and their origins in Latin.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    I'm not going into all the detail here. But I yelled at my parents today because despite phone lines being open for Development services for my province- my parents aren't even trying to call so we can get the first step toward me getting a psych assessment done. To continue the process (even if we might not be able to continue it until after the lockdown). It just I'm sick of basically being on HOLD all the time from my parents!!
    6adMCGP.gif
    And Now my parents are wondering why does Development Services Ontario needs Pysche assessment? (for some reason, they-my parents thought) that the Provincial DSO would want mental health supports from when I was under 18. I literally had to tell them there's was a difference between mental health services and Development Services. That they said we should be looking for X. But I think everything will point back to DSO in the first place.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    I'm gonna pop in and discuss the writing thing. After my sixth chapter, I saw a drop in readership. I don't know if it has something to do with my writing style, or if I update every day, or perhaps I haven't done a lot of self-promoting. Other than my story thread on the forums, I usually post on Writer's Lounge - For All Games. I've considered joining or creating a reading circle, but I don't know. What are your suggestions?

Hiya, one of your readers here.

There can be many different reasons behind readership decline- for example, platform problems.
    I personally find it hard to keep up on stories that are posted on Blogger. I'm a Wordpress person, as are a lot of the people on the lounge, and the Wordpress follow system comes more naturally to me. I also find Blogger a little hard to interact on, as I don't use my google account to comment so I have to type my name every time, and I'm not notified on replies. (Also I've noticed that I can't post comments on incognito mode.)

Like you said, it might be the promotion. I can't comment on reading circles, as the circles I've been involved in didn't survive very long. But I feel like the Writer's Lounge is like a big, voluntary reading circle. Being active and engaging more with the people and their stories will naturally lead to them being interested in yours.

And then sometimes, a story just isn't to someone's taste. There's not really much you can do about that.

As one of my favourite YouTubers said, we shouldn't expect the response we get to equal the effort we put in. It hurts to hear, but if we write for the follower count, most of us wouldn't be writing long. Interest builds over time, so don't be discouraged. It doesn't hurt to try stuff- joining a reading circle, starting a forum thread, etc. And above all, just keep writing.
    @BlackUndecimber I can recommend posting on my story discussion thread as an alternative if they find Blogger hard.

I might just do that, thanks.
    Love your new siggy! :)
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    I personally find it hard to keep up on stories that are posted on Blogger. I'm a Wordpress person, as are a lot of the people on the lounge, and the Wordpress follow system

this. i have used wordpress since the day i started writing and reading blogger confuses me.
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    edited February 2021
    Hi DeafSimmer.

@BlackUndecimber raise a great point (all great points actually) to which @Kellogg_J_Kellogg 's comment awhile back echoes the same message, the gist of it being to write for yourself and let your work build up overtime (his entire comment is really worth the read--> here.). Sometimes, it takes time for readers to notice your story. Readers come and go, so it's important not to place the value of your writing and story in extrinsic factors. In writing, you are your own biggest cheerleader.

Now.. let me see what else I can add,
    A week ago, a friend and I were promoting your story amongst ourselves and realised that it would be hard for new readers to navigate through your blog because the sidebar to click to your chapter index is not obvious. It sort of blends in with everything else. So either they'd have to navigate through your forum thread, or click the 'Older post' button 6 or so times on your blog to reach the first chapter. I think making your homepage/Chapter Index navigation bar larger, or moving it to a more easily noticed place on your blog would help with navigation.

Another thing about blogger is there is no option to 'Like' a story. I've been told that leaving a comment can feel quite intimidating to some. I also know of readers who read but have never left a single comment or like on my story. And only recently I've been updated that they've been reading this entire time and enjoying it. So if you're gauging readership through comments, it's not reflective of what your true stats are. Best to look at your blog stats and even then, it's not precise either. Hence, why I say don't think too much about readership and write for yourself. As long as you're having fun with your story, others will. :)
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    edited February 2021
    @DeafSimmer Awesome. I noticed it immediately on my phone. :) There's a very clear blue bar on top of the blog in phone mode that I can click and navigate through. I can't check on my desktop since we have a blackout here (Again! :astonished: ) but I'm sure its visible since the phone's is. Will let you know if anything.
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    Sneaks in...

I tend to write for me. I'm happy if there are silent readers. Vocal readers are a bonus. WordPress is my favorite. Blogger is okay. Not all the best, but when reading other SimLit writers work, I do my best to follow along. @Skeilah does a wonderful job with her Weebly site. If it's not WordPress and the writer has a forums thread, I'll typically post there.

...Sneaks out
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
    Hi DeafSimmer.

@BlackUndecimber raise a great point (all great points actually) to which @Kellogg_J_Kellogg 's comment awhile back echoes the same message, the gist of it being to write for yourself and let your work build up overtime (his entire comment is really worth the read--> here.). Sometimes, it takes time for readers to notice your story. Readers come and go, so it's important not to place the value of your writing and story in extrinsic factors. In writing, you are your own biggest cheerleader.

Now.. let me see what else I can add,
    A week ago, a friend and I were promoting your story amongst ourselves and realised that it would be hard for new readers to navigate through your blog because the sidebar to click to your chapter index is not obvious. It sort of blends in with everything else. So either they'd have to navigate through your forum thread, or click the 'Older post' button 6 or so times on your blog to reach the first chapter. I think making your homepage/Chapter Index navigation bar larger, or moving it to a more easily noticed place on your blog would help with navigation.

Another thing about blogger is there is no option to 'Like' a story. I've been told that leaving a comment can feel quite intimidating to some. I also know of readers who read but have never left a single comment or like on my story. And only recently I've been updated that they've been reading this entire time and enjoying it. So if you're gauging readership through comments, it's not reflective of what your true stats are. Best to look at your blog stats and even then, it's not precise either. Hence, why I say don't think too much about readership and write for yourself. As long as you're having fun with your story, others will. :)

Beautifully put!

I have one?? or two??? people that read my posts, and their comments are so welcome and precious, but in the end, I came back to finish the story because it means a lot to ME. I know it's not the type of story to get many readers. It's a simlit with no screenshots, not fun or quirky, doesn't read smoothly. But it is writing true to myself. Even now, as I prepare to start a new story, I know my current one will always come first. If I don't believe in my story, no one else will.
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    Nice conversation! I notice with my work that the follows/likes really ebb and flow. When I come back from a break or when I start a new story that's of a popular type (like a legacy), then I tend to get more response and readers for the first few posts, then it drops back to my steady readers. When I write things that are different--like nonfiction, or journal-type, or reflections--then I'll get fewer readers throughout.

So, I would say that drop-offs in readership is natural.

Sometimes, people will come to your story late, and then you'll suddenly get loads of reads! Since you've added a nice Index, @DeafSimmer , that will make it easer for them to catch up and browse!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • SkeilahSkeilah Posts: 1,762 Member
    edited February 2021
    Sneaks in...

I tend to write for me. I'm happy if there are silent readers. Vocal readers are a bonus. WordPress is my favorite. Blogger is okay. Not all the best, but when reading other SimLit writers work, I do my best to follow along. @Skeilah does a wonderful job with her Weebly site. If it's not WordPress and the writer has a forums thread, I'll typically post there.

...Sneaks out

❤️

To comment on this discussion as well, I made my Weebly site to use in combination with my threads here on the forum. There’s always a thread for the story on my forum. I also write for myself and I’m aware that I won’t get a lot of comments on my blog. Most of the comments from readers come through my forum thread^^ but well, even without readers I would keep writing 😋 that’s why I never felt the need to switch to Wordpress (what a pain would that be to switch everything, oooof)
    koppTCP.pngSubscribe to my WordPress blog to stay updated!
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    edited February 2021
    I'm gonna pop in and discuss the writing thing. After my sixth chapter, I saw a drop in readership. I don't know if it has something to do with my writing style, or if I update every day, or perhaps I haven't done a lot of self-promoting. Other than my story thread on the forums, I usually post on Writer's Lounge - For All Games. I've considered joining or creating a reading circle, but I don't know. What are your suggestions?

@DeafSimmer Others have raised some great points about writing for yourself and "invisible readers". I'll add that there is a section of the SimLit FAQ that deals with advertising and readership -> 13) How do I best advertise/promote my story?

One thing I've noticed is that "indirect" promotion is usually a lot more effective that outright link posting. If you show up to writers lounge, drop your chapter link and then disappear, some people might view that as rude and avoid your story precisely for that reason. It sounds very harsh and most people don't do it on purpose but that's just something to be aware of. Engaging with the community more naturally without actively promoting your story will let people know you and your story exist and many will then click on your banner for example. Talking about your writing experiences and your story's characters can also be a good way to engage with others and indirectly draw people in without actively promoting :)

As for your blog, one suggestion I have is putting the About me section on the right so that there is more space for your writing and the screenshots are bigger. Currently, they are quite small which is a shame because your sims are very pretty.
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    I think you'll have to figure that out yourself :) maybe talk about how you created them, what was your inspiration, what are their traits etc :)
    I need my parents to call DSO to talk about the psych assessment because to them they think pysch assessment=mental. I keep having to explain to them it's not. Or at least it's only a part of the assessment that the psychologists also look at emotions and other things besides mental. It just without me going through the {pysche assessment Neither of us (my parents nor I) can get any support of any kind (for them to "take a breather" and for me to potentially move out on my own. I don't think there are any other supports since I don't have an intellectual disability.. the only supports which are available are through DSO
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    I read this somewhere recently and it sums all the important stuff up pretty nicely:

If you want to create healthy, dimensional (not flat) characters, you should understand everyone’s perspective in the story. No one is a villain in their own story.

According to John Rogers: “You don't really understand an antagonist until you understand why he's a protagonist in his own version of the world.”
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • candycottonchucandycottonchu Posts: 906 Member
    Hi @DeafSimmer !
    That is one hard question. In general, you need to understand them. Put yourself into their shoes, ask why are they acting like they do, what they want to achieve with their actions, and how they feel about it.
    If your reply to what the villain wants is "world domination" then you need to think harder :smiley: why do they want the power? Maybe they want to secure a safe world for themselves and their friends. Or maybe they're just want revenge, maybe the ruling government has done them wrong, like killed their favorite parrot. And now they want the power to hurt the ones that have hurt your villain before.
    Now that may be easy for one character, but if there are two characters, you'll have to keep in mind that the action of character A will cause a reaction in character B, and maybe even change B's behavior, and vice versa.
    This also applies for everyday situations too.

I think you did a great job with Meredith. She looks like she's just plain nasty to Zelda, but she has a reason. She notices that Braeden, the guy she likes because he was the only one that protected her when she was bullied, took an interest in another girl. Of course now Meredith is scared that she may lose him, so she tries anything to get rid of the new competition. It doesn't matter that Braeden isn't interested in her at all, as long as there is no one else she still has time to convince him to date her, right?
    Now, if you'd want to make her even better, I'd suggest she'll always try and be nice when Braeden is around. No one likes a screeching harpy, right? :D She could be super sweet to him, maybe even bake him cookies. She wants him to love her.

Now this sounds a bit complicated and in general I'd say you only need to do that for characters that are important to your story. You don't need to know crook #34's cousin's favorite color :D
    Anyway, everyone gets better with practice and observation. Watch people around you, watch tv shows, read other stories, and you'll develop a sense for deeper characters. For your characters, try and put them in random situations and ask how they'd act. If they get lost, would they ask for the way, or rather struggle to get out? If they're shy, it may be rather the second option. If they're bold, they may still be scared if the neighborhood is scary, and they may try and sneak out of it asap.
    Just play with your characters in your head :D