May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ideas at a Glance for Toddlers

Comments

• Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    oooh, I see this thread stickied! maybe EA is silently working on toddlers!
  • Options
    coffeebls2000coffeebls2000 Posts: 11 New Member
    Okay, one thing I loved that toddlers did, was steal each other's bottles. Toddlers were one of my favorite features in the Sims (besides the Sims 2 teens that got acne, etc). I would also love to see Toddlers color on walls, continue to play in the toilet, fall in the toy box, play with older siblings. OOh! One thing I LOVED in Sims 3 was the strollers. I think the stroller feature was awesome. Honestly, I'd just be really excited to have toddlers again at all.
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    I'd love for toddlers to have playpens as well as cribs, and be able to play with a toy like a teddy bear while in either. Also, I'd like nap mats for the floor, and for toddlers to be able to teach themselves to walk (which is realistic).
  • Options
    purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member
    If toddlers did make a return, one change I would like to see is them being a bit more independent with regards to their mobility. (Especially with regards to stairs.) It was super frustrating in TS2 and TS3 to create a family with a toddler, and have the toddler not even be able to enter the house on their own because the house was on a foundation. Or a toddler that had learned to walk, was able to sneak out of their crib, but couldn't manage to walk down the staircase to the 1st floor. I also think that toddlers should be able to, well, toddle around the public areas of each neighborhood on their own as long as they are not going anywhere that would incur a loading screen. Perhaps a pop-up could appear if they ventured beyond the boundaries of the lot, like "XXX is wandering off..." to alert the player, and an older Sim could have a special interaction to bring them home. (Maybe this also brings about a "tense" moodlet for the parent as well.)

Speaking of learning to walk, I would like to see the repertoire of "teachable" skills be increased as well. Things such as table manners, counting, letters of the alphabet, nursery rhymes/songs, colors, or shapes. Perhaps the benefits to learning these could be a boost to the child skills when the toddler grows up (since the previous benefits of learning toddler skills, the "grew up well" memory (TS2) or being able to choose a trait (TS3) no longer apply in TS4).

I would also like to see toddlers more able initiate interactions on their own beyond asking for basic care, both with older Sims and with each other. I want to see them able to have their own little friendships that grow over time. A great extension of the "theme night" system already in place in GT would be to have events across the worlds for toddlers and their families, like story time at the library or a swim class at the pool, where toddlers could meet each other. Obviously, this would give an advantage to toddlers with caregivers who could take them to these classes; for those who don't, perhaps a "pre-school" system could be implemented as well, with options ranging from a free pre-school at the community center to an expensive arts or STEM academy, with the accompanying skill gains to match. For "family oriented" Sims, a new at home social event could be the "play date", with goals for both the toddlers or children and the accompanying adults. (For example, one goal could be "play with dollhouse for 1 hour" for the kids while another could be "serve coffee" or "gossip" for the parents in the other room.)
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • Options
    coffeebls2000coffeebls2000 Posts: 11 New Member
    Thank you for starting this thread and thank you to the Sims creators that maybe considering bringing toddlers back. I know that the game feels very empty without them.
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    edited March 2016
    Repo wrote: »
    I think you misread my point. I DO want toddlers in the game. I have another post back on page 23 (at the bottom) that explains in greater detail. Basically, I want options, choices, for how toddlers appear in public. I WANT to be able to CHOOSE if toddlers are allowed on any lot that children are allowed on (and nightclubs are not among them) or if toddlers are disallowed from all public lots except special family/child oriented lots (if we get such). I am not anti-toddler at all, but I did want to suggest an options for dealing with toddler disruptions. It is very unpleasant to send your in to the library in the Sims 3 then have a toddler cry incessantly due to low need. An OPTION to allow/disallow toddler is a nice solution for this and is supportive of simmers on both sides of the issue.

My comment was actually more directed at the person you replied to. The reason why I quoted you as well was because I don't think NPC toddlers will show up at public lots so I don't see how this should be a problem. EA could create a new venue type that is toddler friendly and maybe then families could show up with their toddlers there, but besides that I can't imagine toddlers randomly spawning in libraries and bars and stuff like that. At least I hope not because it doesn't make much sense. I haven't played TS3 in a while, but I honestly can't remember seeing toddlers in community lots..

If you see off topic posts after requests from both @SimGuruDrake and @SimStaffBethelle please can you report and ignore? The thread will only be derailed if we let people draw us into it and it's better to continue with all these wonderful ideas instead :)

You are right. It's just that I came here this morning to read all of the wonderful suggestions people are posting and then I get greeted with the typical negative post, just annoyed me a bit. I will ignore it from now on though.

Keep it up with the great posts, everyone. :)
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I understand completely @bythedreadwolf I just thought it was better for us to try to not let it derail our little sanctuary here when it's been specifically asked for those kinds of posts to be placed elsewhere ;)

We can all help in keeping this place enthusiastic and fun and I don't want us to lose that momentum we've got so far <3
  • Options
    AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    Biting! For the mischievous toddler.

Eons ago I worked in a daycare where I was surrounded by toddlers 18 months to 3 years. We helped them learn to eat, talk, potty and most of to play together. Their favorite words were "mine", "no" and "mommy" for those that still had separation anxiety. We tried our best to make "please" an integral part of their new vocabulary.

We had a couple that were biters and would bite the other child if they took their toy. Or hitters if biting is too violent for TS4. We had to watch them extra close. We had a time out corner where they would sit if they misbehaved too badly or broke the rules. With 15 or so toddlers running around they learned the rules faster than you would think! We didn't have a school full of little monsters. Most were well behaved most of the time, but there was always something.

We had play time, story time, sing a long time, outdoor play time, snack time, nap time and the most hectic of all - lunch time! Some could feed themselves and others needed more help. They less self sufficient were put in high chairs where the older ones would get to sit in a booster chair at the big table. It was a right of passage to move to the big table.

For nap time they slept on little cots that were low to the ground so they wouldn't fall off and hurt themselves.

They learned how to put away their toys, take turns and share. Some of the favorite indoor toys were the wooden puzzles, coloring, giant building blocks and the standard baby dolls and cars. Outdoors were the sandbox, swings and slides, more large building blocks and the big cars they could sit in and scoot with their little legs.

And I am happy to see so many new posters!
  • Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    edited March 2016
    As an alternative to the teddy bears I would like to see soft rag dolls that the toddlers could carry around, play and sleep with.

27075448_origpic_1a4489.jpg

5541-4-24330475-2.jpg

• Options
    AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    I just remembered a couple of other things I meant to add to my previous post. :# Someone mentioned putting a bandaid on an "ouchy" which is so cute and that is what reminded me of biting. I totally would love that interaction. It also made me think of the child that would go over and hug the one got bitten or otherwise hurt. To be able to have child sims and other toddlers hug to comfort a hurt or upset toddler would be so sweet.
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    I have no extra input for ideas that hasn't been offered already (and I read some REALLY amazing stuff, so good job, everyone!) so I won't add anything additional.

I just wanted to show my support to this thread and also state that I really do hope adding this life state to the game is in the works and is a priority... it's one of the things that I miss most from previous iterations.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Baba0401Baba0401 Posts: 9 New Member
    I'd like to see toddlers teething, and I want to see the toddlers climb out of the crib again. I would also like to see the toddlers climb into chairs like in the sims freeplay.
  • Options
    AlienMunchkin7AlienMunchkin7 Posts: 20 Member
    I hope they bring back toddlers high chairs cribs toddlers bed safety gates Sippy cups hide and seek peek a boo baby mat baby bouncer swing out side and inside changing mat. baby bath all the toddler and bab. stuff I really hope they will let us take the babies out and walk around but really hope they bring back toddlers.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,560 Member
    I have just tough of something say there a sim thats pregnant with her second child and her first child is a toddler it would be nice to have an interaction for the sim mom and dad transition toddler from crib to a toddler bed like these

male toddler sims:

oqki7k.jpg
    10n6u7r.jpg

female toddler sims:

wahdlj.jpg
    xdcdp4.jpg

neutral both sim gender:

4t96ac.jpg
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,774 Member
    if we get baby gates let them be re-used for Pets EP dogs (personal experience)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member
    @sparkfairy1 Of course! I'm sorry I drew more attention to the post. It won't happen again! o:)
  • Options
    inexactprincessinexactprincess Posts: 2 New Member
    I'd like to see baby monitors make a come back. So that at night time the parents will know if the baby needs anything.
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    Sim toddlers, I can't say I miss them because I've been happily playing with them in s3 & sometimes ts2, whilst my copy of s4 gathers digital dust. ;){and yes ea I'm still peeved that you tied s3 to the origin launcher, which does impact whether I'll buy anything for 4 ever even if you were to add back in tot's}

Should the development team bring tot's back to s4, please bring back some if not all of the tot interactions from ts2
    ts2 toddler's could and would:
    * break out of their cribs once they learned how to walk, real life tot's do this all the time ;)
    * followed their parents around from room to room, yep littles do do this <3
    * older siblings would play with toddler's, sometimes autonomously (I always play with freewill on for my sims)
    * sim parents could bathe tot's in tub's
    * toddler's in ts2 interacted with each other without toys, they would steal bottles from each other & they would hug each other, yes, yes & yes little ones do this all the time, they will also take toys from each other or give each other toys o:)
    * toddler's were able to interact with the toy table and play with the blocks and draw scribbly drawings

in ts3 our tot's are fairly stripped down which was sad to see, but in ts3 tot's could read books on their own if the book was left out on the floor which again is something that rl tot's do (watching my granddaughter with her favorite books is fun :) )
    but other than the toy box, and the two tot toy's they really didn't have much until after the store content came out. :(

So please, if you do bring tot's back to s4 please bring back as many as the s2 interactions as possible and keep the book interactions from s3, and maybe just maybe throw in a few of the activity toys like the playpen, and infant mats for babies (which means unhooking them from the bassinet).

Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    For me, the gameplay of toddlers should revolve around learning and acquiring autonomy. I want to feel like my toddlers have learned and became more automous at the end of their life stage, compared to the beginning, thus giving me, the player, the feeling of "raising" and "growing up". For example, with potty training, my toddler is now able to use the potty alone, and it makes it easier for the Sims parents, and gives me a feeling of progression. I want the toddlers to be highly challenging at the beginning of the life stage, and becoming easier and easier as the toddler learn things (either by himself, or with parents' interactions). Raising the toddler, and seeing him make progress is the reward in itself for me.

Bonding with others would be my second most important point : a large range of interactions with all the other life stages is essential, in particular with other children or toddlers. I don't want the toddlers to feel sort of isolated because they can't interact as much with others.

I would love the learning process of toddlers to be improved. Walking, talking and potty training are the three obvious main skills but I think these could be expanded too :
    - Walking could be expanded to going up and down the stairs (with hands, without), interacting with the furniture, running, jumping -> a motor skill
    - Talking could unlock new interactions to ask the toddlers about what they want, how they feel, or ask them to do things (even indirectly, with interactions giving emotions for example, like trying to calm them to remove angry, that could unlock when they have a high enough skill)
    - Skills could unlock new interactions with toys too, to simulate the "this toy was too complicated before, now I can play with it", perhaps with toddlers getting all angry/bored if the toys is too hard for them, and toddlers playing with their toys in new ways as they grow up ?

The learning process of these skills could be more involved than parent interaction -> skill bar filling. I think those could be more autonomous from the toddler interacting with the environment and linked to emotions, with toys giving different emotions moodlets to stimulate the little toddlers :
    - Baby walker could give an energized moodlet, and energized toddlers would attempt to walk/go up the stairs and learn the walking/motor skill
    - Stack blocks could give a focused moodlet, and focused toddlers would be more likely to progress in a mental skill

Emotions could have a huge impact on what the toddlers do or don't : an energized toddler would not want to sleep for example. So attentive Sim parents would pay attention so they don't get overexcited before going to bed and give them calmer toys. I think it could be fun if Sim parents have to adapt to the toddlers' emotions, with toys and various items allowing some kind of manipulation of those emotions. Angry toddler refuse to eat -> either try to calm them (skill interaction) or distract them with a toy or just wait till they are calmer -> try again with the food once they are no longer angry. To go back to the sense of progression I mentionned at the beginning : as the toddlers progress in the skills, the impact of emotions and how much influence they have on the everyday life, could be lowered, with new interactions/new buffs thus giving the impression that the toddler is growing up and becoming more reasonnable and more autonomous.

I'm not too keen on the bad raising = bad traits. I would prefer if raising gave a bonus trait, like the children aspiration ones, perhaps a bonus to the acquisition of child skills, which would makes raising children easier later, but still not something obligatory.

Those are fantastic ideas.

First off, I wholeheartedly agree that the three main toddler skills should be expanded. However I also think that toddlers need to start learning child skills, because children do not get enough time to maximize child skills on a normal lifespan. Therefore, once your toddler learned to walk, they would be able to raise their child motor skills. Raising this skills would give toddlers new interactions like practice jumping, climbing on furniture (with more success). and going up and down stairs (the animations would vary based on their motor skill level). To keep toddlers from getting to high in child skills, you could have the toddler gain these skills at half the rate of children (they are toddlers after all), and maybe cap the level at 5, so at best, children still have to learn half of the skill.

Respectively, once toddlers learn how to talk, they would be able to gain the child social skill which would also unlock new interactions (like asking more difficult questions, being better at saying the right words when asking a questions, etc).

Toddlers can also gain mental and creativity child skills, however, unlike motor and social, these are not locked at the beginning, and instead are mostly gained by certain objects that toddlers use (mental/logical toys, toddler TV channel?) (creative toys xylophone, using child are table for fingerprinting or coloring with unique pictures).

Your emotions ideas is also awesome, and I this feature definitely should have a big impact on toddlers and what they do.
    Like you said before, energized toddlers would not be able to sleep (unless they pass out of course due to low energy). These toddlers would obviously lose energy slower, and in this state, toddlers should have a hard time doing activities that require them to sit still or listen (such as being read a story or being taught to use the potty). Toddlers would also learn all mental skills slower while energized. Instead of angry toddlers outright refusing to eat, it would be fun if angry toddlers occasionally threw their food or bottle on the floor. Toddlers in these emotions would refuse to listen to their parents in general, would throw a lot of tantrums, and would potentially cause mayhem in the house (such as smashing/wrecking doll houses, flushing a toy down the toilet therefore breaking it. They would also have difficulties during bath time, constantly screaming/yelling and splashing about. When toddlers are in this emotion, it would be wise for parents to try to calm them down. I also agree that certain skills should help a toddler cop with these emotions. Toddler who are better at talking, are less likely to get angry, because they can communicate their problems instead of crying, allowing the parent to better take care of them. An example of this would be a hungry toddler. If the toddler was not good at communicating, when the toddler gets hungry enough, it would get a angry buff immediately and start complaining. Even after the toddler was fed, it would have some residual anger because the parent took to long to take care of it (a +1 or +2 anger buff that last 2-4 hours). If the toddler knew how to talk, however, they would instead be pushed to autonomously ask the parent for food when hungry, and it would take them longer for these toddlers to get angry over a lack of food.

Again love all the ideas posted so far, and love that this thread is pinned. Maybe that means there is hope for toddlers after all.
    True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • Options
    Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    edited March 2016
    nvm. It was already mentioned.
  • Options
    carlywycherleycarlywycherley Posts: 568 Member
    Things I would like toddlers to add to game-
    Ability for tantrums
    Ability to learn to walk talk and toilet but also ability to climb/ fall down stairs bringing in baby gates
    Ability for toddlers to be have 'toddler beds'
    Play pens
    For some to be more needy of attention than others
    Prams for babies and toddlers
    High Chair
    Ability to change baby outfit
    More Cribs more Children stuff in general
    Baby walkers to help them walk
    Baby lap top (IPad) for entertainment
    Specific Toddler tv channel
    Specific toddler foods
    Wee inflatables for pools so toddlers can go in
    Out door toys aka trikes and see saws, Paddling pools
    Toddlers to have fav toys and comforters aka dummy or blanket or teddy to help them sleep
    Ability to climb out bed
    Toys for bath time
    Changing table
    Rocking Chair
    Ability to get childhood illnesses
    Ability to learn skills at different speeds aka learn quicker if socialised with more
    Nanny
    Playgroup/Nursery where they can meet new pals and learn basic skills to start primary grade B
    Ability to fight with older siblings/ Play childhood games
    Ability to sort of dance to music

That's just some ideas off the top of my head
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,360 Member
    edited March 2016
    @poppykoke Please accept my apologies. Just it was a small bad joke, I missed that part.

ma0dxr6gr21z.jpg
    Green bar edit by SimStaffBethelle:
    Posted by SimGuruDrake
    Before I head off for the evening I wanted to come in and say that I am moving this to the general discussion area.

Please do not comment in here with "I don't want toddlers" or anything of the sort. This is an ideas thread for those players who do and what they would like to see from this life state and it should remain as such.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2016
    I am feeling giddy again over all this toddler talk. So excited there is more, more, more to read.... and especially excited to see all the new posters who signed up -it appears - so they could join our adorable toddler thread discussions. Welcome everyone to the toddler thread. Just love the enthusiasm and everyones ideas.

The rag doll idea for another cuddle toy some has suggested is fabulous, seeing even my little boys loved rag dolls. My middle son loved his ragdoll so much he would not go to sleep or go anywhere with out it. He would just cry and cry until we frantically searched and found his "Ragman" as his Raggedy Andy doll was called. I remember when he was in the hospital we had to make darn sure Ragman was with him, as no matter how sick he was he was inconsolable without it. So yes, Ragdolls- some - toddlers definitely love often more than any other stuffed toy. Ragman was his constant companion up until he started kindergarten and the school would not let the little ones bring their security blankets with them - what ever that blanket was. LOL.

Also I was thinking for the musically oriented tots - it would be cute to have a few musical toys like fisher price tots guitars, drums,bongos, little pianos along with of course the well known xylophone we have seen in Sims 2 and 3. Also I believe it is Fisher price that also has toddler music recorder players, radios, record players and even Mikes where they sing karaoke with their fav plastic disk songs. I notice many toddlers really love music and musical toys - it has a very calming affect on them.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    RachelMeganMeyerRachelMeganMeyer Posts: 8 New Member
    I'm so grateful that developers have acknowledged this discussion. :) Even if they are unable to bring toddlers into the game, it is so kind of them to give family players the opportunity to be heard. Everyone has such amazing ideas and so much potential content could be inspired from this input and it gives me so much hope for the future of the sims 4. I REALLY hope toddlers are introduced, and if they are anything like people are dreaming they'll be, they'll have been so worth the wait!! *Fingers crossed*
  • Options
    HCSauHCSau Posts: 506 Member
    A few days ago, I spent up to half an hour on what I wanted from The Sims 4 toddlers only for it to disappear on me. I was so disgusted at technology that I refused to even try again.

... That is until now, so here it goes! @SimGuruDrake and co. Of course I am not a techie, so I didn't account for whether any of my ideas would be technically possible.

I really like the child aspiration system because it reflects the fact that childhood is where you're developing a foundation to build on.
    The transition of a toddler is basically a move from a baby, where everyone does everything for you, to a child, where you should learn to do some stuff by yourself (semi-independent?). It is the same with adolescence as you are transitioning from a child, where you still rely heavily on your parents or role models, to an adult where you will be held totally responsible for your actions.
    • That being the case, it would be really cool if toddlers had their own aspiration system, like kids, to reflect it. Toddlers tend to fall into two really basic groups: passive toddlers and aggressive rebellious toddlers.
    • Passive toddlers will be more teachable and placid. They will be more cheerful and even playful. They could get happy, playful, even focused emotions to help them fulfil their aspiration to be a darling angel. They will not thwart their parents goals to get them trained in walking, talking and 'pottying'. They will enjoy playing with others toddlers and children.
    • Rebellious toddlers, on the other hand, will be harder to teach and it will be harder to keep in a routine. They will be more likely to be angry or tense which will make teaching them hard. They could resent their parents working and sending them to daycare, which would result in a angry toddler. Their little goal could be to become a cheeky devil!
    • A lot could rely on the parents keeping a fixed routine. A change could cause any toddler to become tense, as it should be noted that even passive toddlers shouldn't be happy all the time. All toddlers could be able to lean to any disposition, and it your choice if you actually play on the toddler's aspiration

I think that's about it of what I remember writing for that bit. But I also thought the objects and interactions I'd love.
    • Pram. It would be great to push a toddler around the neighbourhoods like a sim jogs.
    • Tag for kids and toddlers. It might well end in tears!
    • feeding station. I forget it's real name!
    • play mat. That a rebellious toddler can stray from.
    • I had a really cool name for a club for mums to exercise with their toddlers in their prams. Ah ha! The Buggy Brigade.
    • pottys and cots.
    • something for them to climb on. I have it in my mind's eye, but I cannot think of its name.
    • I want lots of clothes and hairstyles for toddlers.

That's all I'm going to dare write in case I lose it again.
    Happy Simming :)
    HSau :)