Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

3 Reasons to AVOID new patch - 10% performance reduction!

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
So call it unlucky but I re-installed the Sims 3 today as I also reinstalled my computer and ended up downloading the "new" version of the Sims 3 launcher.

Well this turned out to be a horrible idea for 3 reasons. Reasons why YOU should avoid the new patch too.

EDIT:

So after installing the new digital 1.69 version first (as said above) then uninstalling it - then reinstalling the disk version for comparison, then patching it back up to 1.69 (for re-comparison) I can SAFELY say that the performance of The Sims 3 via patch 1.69 on MY machine is certainly evident.

Some things are not effected, like load times and even animations - but camera rotation and edge scroll, as well as screen tearing suddenly ALL become very present (where before they were not in any form). This is not a computer issue, I can run Assassins Creed Unity without problems (if you know what I'm talking about you KNOW what I'm talking about).

I'm sure some people they won't be effected by this (computers are funny that way) but overall from what I've read from others accounts and personally experienced my advice is to avoid 1.69 at all costs unless you can't. See below why...

1. Every time you want to play the Sims 3 you NOW need to login and have the launcher PLUS origin running in the background.

This means launching the Sims 3 has turned into a 3 step process from a 1 step. (I feel there is a joke here somewhere...)

aka Launch and login to origin - launch sims 3 launcher - launch sims 3.

EDIT: You CAN close the Sims 3 launcher after the game launches - however Origin can't be closed (unless you do it via forced task manager). If you force close origin it will reload itself for a few seconds after you exit the game - so I'm not sure what actually effects this will have (force closing origin) on the sim3.exe file in-game since its clearly doing more then just launching the game. I've also noticed the Sims 3 launcher sometimes closes itself and other times stays open. Not sure why so random.

2. The new launcher will DESELECT ALL my expansions/packs when I load it after I make any changes to my Sims 3 doc folder - meaning if I don't recheck them the game would load without them - a nightmare of epic "save" proportions waiting to happen. I now need to check this tab EVERY TIME I launch the game. (so actually a 4 step process to play the game...)

EDIT: This is directly related to deleting cache files, updating mods and sometimes (this is random) removing/adding store content. Doing so WILL uncheck all your expansions/packs in the launcher. This seems completely random though or rather the reason why they become deselected, messing around in general in your Sims 3 doc folder seems to deselect them and sometimes not. My advice is to always check to see they are all checked before launching regardless.

3. Performance issues. This is a big one that directly effects the Sims 3 performance and goes back to reason 1. Origin and the Launcher now sit open in the background (though the launcher sometimes closes - sometimes doesnt) and don't they leave a small memory footprint as they are constantly "working' in the background (such as downloading thousands upon thousands of thumbnails that will fill your FeaturedItems folder and origin constantly calling home).

EDIT: So there might be more to this performance issue, after some trial and error it appears Origin is well and truly encoded into the new TS3.exe beyond just acting as a launcher (which the game runs from now - NOT TS3W.exe like it used to. Now TS3W launches the launcher) as Origin calls home to EA servers during and AFTER game play unless you play offline.

My memory usage with them has gone from 14% pre-patch to 26% post regardless.

I'm also thinking the new launcher/ts3.exe might have slightly altered how it saves games, as save times have doubled for me and might relate to the new launcher "check" boxes (not sure about this though).

If you can play disconnected I HIGHLY advise it regardless.

EDIT: I've also noticed if you login to origin offline and load Sims 3 - Origin might crash after exiting the game. FUN!

Unlike the Sims 4, the Sims 3 was not built from the ground up to work well with Origin and more so the Sims 3 is not optimized well overall - meaning any further layers on the basegame resource draw just slows things down.

IF you can avoid downloading the new patch I advice doing so at all costs, unfortunately if you just bought the Sims 3 or reinstalled it from Origin you will be stuck with it, because the new digital Sims 3 download is pre-patched to 1.69.
Post edited by TOLKIEN on

Comments

• Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    That is not true origin takes up only 1% of processor in background that is less than windows updates. From what I can tell this is just a launcher update, to make it easier for them to send updates and maybe fix some performance bug and maybe move the store to origin so we don't loose the store content.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    That is not true origin takes up only 1% of processor in background that is less than windows updates. From what I can tell this is just a launcher update, to make it easier for them to send updates and maybe fix some performance bug and maybe move the store to origin so we don't loose the store content.

In this case its an issue of physical memory usage and less CPU process. Origin is BY FAR the worst launchers I know compared to battle.net, steam or even uplay. The Sims 3 was never optimized for it.

There is NO reason for this patch - its clearly just another layer of DRM we didn't need. We won't be seeing any optimization patches either.

I know it's meant to allow users to "select" expansions but WHY install a expansion you don't want to use anyway?

This patch breaks more then it fixes.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @Jessa_Dakkar Good luck if you have windows running then you have extra plum running in the background anyways.

• Options
    R3imiuR3imiu Posts: 256 Member
    ahh!, it auto updated before i read this
    [✨R3imiu's Alot of Lots Showcase✨] (forum & origin username is same: R3imiu )
    a1EEcS1.gif
    Me playing games like: Sims 3, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Pocket Monsters 3DS, Sims 4
    ⍟ᴥ⍟ i watch my sims sleep
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I wish i installed my game 2 days earlier...

Now I have to decide if I'm gonna uninstall everything and reinstall my discs...sigh so much work.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @TOLKIEN: I am not saying that it effected it, but I don't think a launcher update will have any effect on saved games, that is completely two different codes. There may not be an official sims3 team anymore, but their is a Sims 4 team and a few of them may be on the game maintaince team, to make sure it works for the newer operating systems. I suggest that you read the Sims 3 warning on expansion packs that you can only play Sims 3 +2 expansions at a time with computers that are not officially gaming computers. Edge takes up more memory than the Sims 3 or origin will ever take as that is a 64bit application, so when playing sims 3 switch to internet explorer so it don't use all your memory if you have Windows 10.

• Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Can you shut down the Launcher if it doesn't do so by itself? I vaguely recall doing that before I learned how to bypass the Launcher? Has that changed, or do I remember wrong?

Downloading files into the Featured Items folder is not a new issue. It's well documented how to prevent that.

Having to double check that all EPs and SPs are checked each time you launch is pretty horrible. I'm surprised the new Launcher doesn't remember your previous settings.

As for Origin causing performance issues, that probably depends on your PC. Every other game I own is off of Steam, and that client is always running in the background. If I update to 1.69 I sort of assumed Origin would be similar. OTOH, it's EA, not Valve.
  • Options
    @TreyNutz the launcher shows how many expansion packs you can play with your system, if it keeps unchecking it, this means that you may have more expansion packs than your computer can handle and may make the play horrible.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    Can you shut down the Launcher if it doesn't do so by itself? I vaguely recall doing that before I learned how to bypass the Launcher? Has that changed, or do I remember wrong?

Having to double check that all EPs and SPs are checked each time you launch is pretty horrible. I'm surprised the new Launcher doesn't remember your previous settings.

As for Origin causing performance issues, that probably depends on your PC. Every other game I own is off of Steam, and that client is always running in the background. If I update to 1.69 I sort of assumed Origin would be similar. OTOH, it's EA, not Valve.

Regards the launcher, you CAN close the Sims 3 launcher after the game launches - however Origin can't be closed (unless you do it via forced task manager). If you force close origin it will reload itself for a few seconds after you exit the game - so I'm not sure what actually effects this will have (force closing origin) on the sim3.exe file in-game since its clearly doing more then just launching the game. I've also noticed the Sims 3 launcher sometimes closes itself and other times stays open. Not sure why so random.

As for double checking the EP's- I've discovered this has to do with changes to the Sims 3 doc folder, like deleting cache files.

Regards origin, while I agree this is part PC is also part code optimization. I have uplay, steam AND battle.net launchers installed (no i don't run them all at the same time lol) and I find by far Origin is the worst (battle.net being the best overall and Steam the most functional if not a little bloated now).
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    double post
  • Options
    I made some updates to my topic based on some trial and error/digging.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    Regards origin, while I agree this is part PC is also part code optimization. I have uplay, steam AND battle.net launchers installed (no i don't run them all at the same time lol) and I find by far Origin is the worst (battle.net being the best overall and Steam the most functional if not a little bloated now).

Thanks for the comment. I've never run Origin concurrently with a game before. I have all digital versions of...everything really, all on Steam except for TS3. I stopped buying disks in 2007 I think. From what I heard if I reinstall the base game now it will come patched to 1.69 already. It looks like running through Origin is in my future sooner or later.
    EDIT: So on further trial and error, this seems to be related to any changes to your Sims 3 doc folder, including deleting cache files, updating mods and sometimes (this is random) removing/adding store content. Also happened once when I deleted my featureditems folder, but not the second time. Very random.

Oh no. If that happens every time you delete caches (and a lot of people delete them every game play session) that's going to be a huge issue.
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    It's messes like this that I never, never, NEVER allow Origin to do the auto updates to my games! I keep my Origin part up to date, but I refuse to let Origin update my games.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    KandyKandy Posts: 2,008 Member
    So I was able to ward off this update, but if I buy some EPs for TS3, will it auto-update my game?
  • Options
    Kandy wrote: »
    So I was able to ward off this update, but if I buy some EPs for TS3, will it auto-update my game?

I'm not sure, I'm about to uninstall my "digital" version and reinstall my discs - however I do own ONE stuff pack via origin, so I'll see what happens when i try to install it.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited November 2015
    Sometimes some games should never be updated !

After to break my TS2 Store Edition savegame with TS2 UC "latest update" which fix nothing and is useless,

now they release an update for TS3 which break your game.

Both these updates only add Origin features, break your game and never fix the existing issues.

I can say it's the worst updates ever done.
  • Options

I'm not sure, I'm about to uninstall my "digital" version and reinstall my discs - however I do own ONE stuff pack via origin, so I'll see what happens when i try to install it.

Thank you. I think I might just hunt for the EPs that I want in disc form :smile: That seems to be the safest bet.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    @TOLKIEN Is the update built into the install files now, or does Origin automatically update the game after it installs, or what? If the update isn't built into the install files, you can get the previous update at SimsVIP. But, if the update is built into the install files, I hope I never, ever have to re-install my game again, because the disk I have is new enough that if I install from it, Origin will take over, and I'll be forced to start from Origin, and won't be able to bypass it or the launcher. So, I've installed directly from Origin instead, which doesn't require me to open the game with Origin. (Seems backwards, but considering the source, no surprise there.)

I wish I could reinstall with the original files I bought from Amazon Downloads, which downloaded it from Amazon, not Origin, but they don't work anymore. The only reason I have a disk with the base game on it is because when I decided to get LN, I bought the starter pack on sale from Amazon. It was cheaper than buying LN from Origin.
  • Options
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    @TOLKIEN Is the update built into the install files now, or does Origin automatically update the game after it installs, or what? If the update isn't built into the install files, you can get the previous update at SimsVIP. But, if the update is built into the install files, I hope I never, ever have to re-install my game again, because the disk I have is new enough that if I install from it, Origin will take over, and I'll be forced to start from Origin, and won't be able to bypass it or the launcher. So, I've installed directly from Origin instead, which doesn't require me to open the game with Origin. (Seems backwards, but considering the source, no surprise there.)

I wish I could reinstall with the original files I bought from Amazon Downloads, which downloaded it from Amazon, not Origin, but they don't work anymore. The only reason I have a disk with the base game on it is because when I decided to get LN, I bought the starter pack on sale from Amazon. It was cheaper than buying LN from Origin.

Slightly off topic, but how do you bypass the launcher? Apparently it causes a lot less lag? Maybe, I'm not really sure :lol:
  • Options
    stamperJanestamperJane Posts: 37 Member
    So glad I paused the update and came here to check what was going on. Cancelled it... thanks for the info guys/gals.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited November 2015

Slightly off topic, but how do you bypass the launcher? Apparently it causes a lot less lag? Maybe, I'm not really sure :lol:

Go to the game's program files. If you have Windows 7 and installed the game from Origin, this is how to find it: Program Files (x86) > Origin Games > The Sims 3 > Game > Bin. Find the TS3W.exe file. Make a shortcut to it on your desktop, or in your quick launch. Use that to open the game. If you installed from a disk, it would be under Electronic Arts in the program files folder. I you have a different OS, I don't know where you'd find it.

If lag is your only concern, you can close the launcher once your game is open. The reason I do it is because it saves on loading time.
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    I am so confused by all this, I am by no means computer savvy (old dog, takes awhile to learn the new tricks!) so this is all like reading Japanese to me! I have all my Sims content from discs, only own one stuff pack (again, in disc form) but do have all the EPs (disc form). I go through Origin to sign in and do not want this update, all other updates have automatically updated, no stopping them. How can I stop this update, it holds no interest for me as I like all my sims stuff in all my games and I have no interest in shutting down any of my EPs and my game runs just fine with all my stuff included.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @TOLKIEN Is the update built into the install files now, or does Origin automatically update the game after it installs, or what?

It appears built into the digital Sims 3 install now, it never updated it via origin after install. To double check I looked at the actually install files date stamp to see if the launcher time stamp was made before or AFTER the game was installed (if it was updated after then that would imply an update was made post install) and they all have the same stamp. Reaffirming that its built into the new digital version.

Go to the game's program files. If you have Windows 7 and installed the game from Origin, this is how to find it: Program Files (x86) > Origin Games > The Sims 3 > Game > Bin. Find the TS3W.exe file. Make a shortcut to it on your desktop, or in your quick launch. Use that to open the game. If you installed from a disk, it would be under Electronic Arts in the program files folder. I you have a different OS, I don't know where you'd find it.

Slightly related and unrelated, as I mentioned in my topic post if you DO patch to 1.69 the game will no longer be able to run from the TWS3.EXE file but a new TS3.exe. Assimilation to origin is unavoidable!

• Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    edited November 2015
    Open Origin
    Go to the top left corner and click on "Origin"
    Click on "Application Settings" (it's the 5th option from the bottom)
    Scroll down to "Updates"
    Uncheck the "Automatically keep my games up to date" box
    Also, make sure the "Ignore non-mandatory game updates" box is unchecked as well

Finally, go to your "Sims3" game (as if you're about to play) and press the "X" on the "Update is Available" bar
    Top blue bar will go away and should not come back

:)

EDIT: Also those of you with Sims4 will find an update waiting for you
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!