Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    Karilan wrote: »
    @aroseinbloom Hi there! Not sure if I've met you before?

@d20 Welcome to the thread, and to simlit! Screenshotting is definitely an art, but it's fun to explore different methods all the time. Lately I've been trying to take pictures from different angles to liven things up.
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    Bit random but..
    I'm proud of myself today. I achieved one of my small goals :) It may not be a big thing to others but to me it's huge. :)

Congrats! Always good to achieve something. :)

All caught up! Now I achieved something. :smiley:

@Karilan No! I was on here a very, very long time ago. I actually wrote an entire legacy challenge, but I missed the notice to up my hosting info and lost the whole things. (cries). Anywho....I took a long hiatus from everything, but am trying to slowly get back into it.

I probably won't be terribly active here, but you can always message me!!

she pops in and out now we know she moved but we don't know why she stayed away. lol.

i miss teasing aero aparrently i moved on to kar.

I stay away because I'm intensely introverted and I work 40+ hours a week in retail, helping people find outfits and leading a team. It gets exhausting for me. I still think you guys are awesome. And maybe I needed a tiny break from The Sims.

i now work 5 hours saturday and sunday. and we had a mass quitting mom laughed when i said that but by sunday night i can barely move. so i feel your pain.

Yes! It gets to be a lot. I've had only 2 days off in the last 2 weeks. I'm exhausted!!

But I'm glad to reconnect with you.
  • Options
    @aroseinbloom Hi there! Not sure if I've met you before?

@d20 Welcome to the thread, and to simlit! Screenshotting is definitely an art, but it's fun to explore different methods all the time. Lately I've been trying to take pictures from different angles to liven things up.
    Bit random but..
    I'm proud of myself today. I achieved one of my small goals :) It may not be a big thing to others but to me it's huge. :)

Congrats! Always good to achieve something. :)

All caught up! Now I achieved something. :smiley:

@Karilan No! I was on here a very, very long time ago. I actually wrote an entire legacy challenge, but I missed the notice to up my hosting info and lost the whole things. (cries). Anywho....I took a long hiatus from everything, but am trying to slowly get back into it.

I probably won't be terribly active here, but you can always message me!!

she pops in and out now we know she moved but we don't know why she stayed away. lol.

i miss teasing aero aparrently i moved on to kar.

I stay away because I'm intensely introverted and I work 40+ hours a week in retail, helping people find outfits and leading a team. It gets exhausting for me. I still think you guys are awesome. And maybe I needed a tiny break from The Sims.

I feel ya. :( I left my retail position as a salary manager and I'm so happy to work in an office now.

We are always here when you need a break or a chat!

I would love to find a job outside of retail. This was supposed to be a temporary thing after I moved and now I'm the assistant manager. We shall see!

And thank you :)
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    I've realised my characters are a lot like me. I use my nickname more my full name to the point I mostly refuse to respond to it. My parents hardly ever call me by my actual name which is a longer version of my nickname. :D My characters all have their own nicknames (Well except Claude cause I couldn't think of one :D ).

Oh cool, that's a pleasant surprise since your characters are awesome. I think it's something that a lot of writers come across, discovering they have things in common with their characters. :) I was going to further say something deep about it, but my brain's not switched on yet. XD
    I hadn't noticed they all had nicknames. I'll go back and have a look.
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    I've realised my characters are a lot like me. I use my nickname more my full name to the point I mostly refuse to respond to it. My parents hardly ever call me by my actual name which is a longer version of my nickname. :D My characters all have their own nicknames (Well except Claude cause I couldn't think of one :D ).

Oh cool, that's a pleasant surprise since your characters are awesome. I think it's something that a lot of writers come across, discovering they have things in common with their characters. :) I was going to further say something deep about it, but my brain's not switched on yet. XD

I meant in BL. :D Max and Robin don't have nicknames yet. Although, Robin's is Ro, it's not been mentioned yet. It comes up in a few chapters.

Also, technically I can publish the next WAWRMO chapter now as it's already Saturday here. :D
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    my mom doubted i could get the leftovers in the fridge but i did.
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member

I don't think I've had many nicknames until generation 3.

While none of my characters (except my simself) are based off of me, I generally pull from my own experiences and insert something familiar to me or familiar to someone I'm close with in almost every character I write.

I have a bit of difficulty writing characters that are MUCH different from myself, the worst being male characters.

Does anyone have any input or suggestions for writing the opposite gender, or male characters specifically?
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options

I meant in BL. :D Max and Robin don't have nicknames yet. Although, Robin's is Ro, it's not been mentioned yet. It comes up in a few chapters.

Also, technically I can publish the next WAWRMO chapter now as it's already Saturday here. :D

Well, It's been Saturday for a while over here so I won't object. :D Ah right, I knew I hadn't missed anything. Ro sounds like a cool nickname - gives her a bit of punch. :)
  • Options

While none of my characters (except my simself) are based off of me, I generally pull from my own experiences and insert something familiar to me or familiar to someone I'm close with in almost every character I write.

I have a bit of difficulty writing characters that are MUCH different from myself, the worst being male characters.

Does anyone have any input or suggestions for writing the opposite gender, or male characters specifically?

I actually feel really comfortable writing males despite being female. It's strange but writing either is actually not too bad for me because I learn as I write. Plus Claude's just Claude if I'm honest.

For advice, I get to know the character as a person. I don't see it as writing a male half the time because I look past that and write who he is aka the best Hot-headed geeky bookworm. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Hi @Karilan it's great that you draw from your own or familiar experiences, since it helps create depth in your characters and keep them realistic. :) I would say that for creating believable male characters, spend time with some males you know and observe how they move, talk and behave. For more depth, you could reenact these males you have observed in your own time. This step may sound a little odd, but you'd be surprised how helpful it is, as it enables you to think more like them.
  • Options

I was given this tip by another SimLit friend, but she said, find a tv or book character you like...one that reminds you of your Sim (or vice versa) and notice their habits, statements, accents, etc., and use them to help you create complex voices for your own!
  • Options

I actually feel really comfortable writing males despite being female. It's strange but writing either is actually not too bad for me because I learn as I write. Plus Claude's just Claude if I'm honest.

For advice, I get to know the character as a person. I don't see it as writing a male half the time because I look past that and write who he is aka the best Hot-headed geeky bookworm. :D

Yes, another way to do it is to create the character first, and forget the gender, which is what I do most of the time too. :)
  • Options

Well, It's been Saturday for a while over here so I won't object. :D Ah right, I knew I hadn't missed anything. Ro sounds like a cool nickname - gives her a bit of punch. :)

I'll probably wait until later. :) Btw Ro is Max's nickname for her. :)
  • Options

i didn't use nicknames til last time . and only because i made ayden a best feiend intending to kill him off later . but that didn't happen because alana fell for rylan. its the only thing she stayed intrested inlonger than a minute. so i named her the the shark and him the guppy.
  • Options
    Skcaga6Skcaga6 Posts: 3,399 Member
    Acarb90 wrote: »
    I work as a vet tech in an animal shelter so having a slow day is good...but so boring xD

We actually have an adoption event all weekend where the adoption fee is waived. But noone has come in so far :(

Wow. Our local shelter had an adoption event where black dogs were half price, black cats were $10, and all rabbits were $5. Forty animals found their furever homes today. :)
    wotgen6.gif?w=656
  • Options

I forgot to add that all my characters have middle names that's because every one of my siblings and I have middle names (I actually feel for my mum cause she had to think up at least 10 names to give us all at least one middle name :D). Claude even used his as a nickname at one point but I switched back to using Claude because it was annoying me.
  • Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    edited November 2017

@Karilan I write female characters despite being male though honestly my method is usually not to care about their gender to begin with. I just write them as a character not as female or male if that makes any sense.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I have a question of my own. So, How do you have a character realise they love another character?

I basically avoided it in WAWRMO by using another character but next time I can't 'cheat' like that again as it wouldn't work.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member

I have a question of my own. So, How do you have a character realise they love another character?

I basically avoided it in WAWRMO by using another character but next time I can't 'cheat' like that again as it wouldn't work.

dreams sometimes help. Or a diary entry from that person POV or an incident happens (like a kidnappng attempt, drowning, etc) and the other (or same) gender goes to the kidnapee's (or whatever) defense. My one O.C. character Henry, (in the miltary outfit in the avtar who is the O.C. song of a real-life person) liked reading a blogger's blog but didn't realize until the attempt S word of the actual blogger's twin sister that she was the blogger. But had created a fictional version and sang "Literary Romance" (who his real-life father sang to a real person kind of on youtube) a too

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

well rylan couldn't even order coffee without alana yelling at him she would get really mad.

oh and in the orginal ayden story he got out of bed in the middle of the night and threw up. he loved christine but was married to elsa.
  • Options

well rylan couldn't even order coffee without alana yelling at him she would get really mad.

oh and in the orginal ayden story he got out of bed in the middle of the night and threw up. he loved christine but was married to elsa.

Or you could go the Princess Bride way and just spell it out. :D Okay, on a more serious note, I always like to focus on the character's actions and reactions to others. I think an effective way of doing it is by showing their realisation through their change of behaviour around 'said' character. Hope I made sense. :#
  • Options

Or you could go the Princess Bride way and just spell it out. :D Okay, on a more serious note, I always like to focus on the character's actions and reactions to others. I think an effective way of doing it is by showing their realisation through their change of behaviour around 'said' character. Hope I made sense. :#

isn't that what i said to you earlier today?it sounds famillar.
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member

You know, I don't think I really have that ah-ha moment! I usually build their relationship and hit a moment one day where they realize they've probably loved them for a while.

In the most recent case of Cameron...
    He didn't return feelings from any of the girls that liked him, so be process of elimination when he formed a crush on Karlee he figured it must be love. Being young and inexperienced, he launched head first right into all that he thinks love means!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member

@Bugsie2016 Usually I build up to it. For example I'll go back a bit to my original Lockwood's story that few here probably even remember outside of maybe @CathyTea

In it I had the main couple of Gwen and Cassie. They started off as friends meeting by chance. From there I initially just had them hang out a bit and go through some stuff together to let them kind of get to know each other and go through some events together such as Gwen having her first experience with Cassie's temper issues. From there Gwen was easy as she was attracted to Cassie from the start. Cassie however had just come off a bad break up so was resistant to any real relationship. From there I had them go through some more events together both good and bad leading to Gwen's initial confession and them ending up together sort of but with Cassie still not sure she was ready. As I continued I just kept building and building until it lead to a series of events of Gwen knowing how she felt and being more determined about it and Cassie gradually coming to the realization that while she was scared she couldn't imagine life without Gwen.

So to sum it up now that I've rambled on it's basically a process of starting from square one and just having them go through a variety of dates, story events, and issues both good and bad until I feel I can justify them both having that core desire of not being able to imagine life without the other. The important part of all that to me is that progression. For the reader to be able to follow the path they took and have it be believable that after all that these two would want to be together.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    So interesting *all* the Harry Potter books have "MacGuffins" of some sort.. some in the title, and some not..
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

isn't that what i said to you earlier today?it sounds famillar.

Hi @friendsfan367 I think it's the same idea, yes or very similar. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top