Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"It's on US" Oversight? CC Mishap? or What?

Comments

• Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Also sexual assault is a traumatic experience that isn't something that should be made light of in a video game. I often play TS2 when things are particularly bad IRL. It helps me avoid for a bit until I can calm down and cope with reality. What if I had been recently sexually assaulted and was playing the Sims to not have to keep reliving that moment? How would this this not be a trigger? How does putting this shirt in this game do more good than it can do harm? What, have TS4 players now stopped their rampant sexual abuse? Or were they completely unaware that it happens and it's awful? In this case, last time I checked the Sims had a rather large female audience and this has always been a nasty reality... no pixelated shirt is going to make this better.

Promoting a campaign that seeks to end sexual violence is not "making light" of an issue, even if it's in a video game.

The message is a clearly positive one, and shouldn't be triggering at all. It's the slogan of a movement that says "it's not your fault. We're here to protect you and support you, and if we band together we can stop this from happening again." Saying "it's on us" is so powerful and positive because so many victims of sexual assault will often hear a million different versions of "it was on you." You said something, you did something, you wore something and so you played a part, which is so disgusting and wrong.

Just the fact that we're talking about this now and having a dialogue about it is proof positive that the shirt was a good idea.

I'm sorry you don't like English in your game, but for survivors (myself being one of them) it's a little touch in the game that says "you aren't alone. It wasn't your fault. You are believed and supported." Then those people can come read this thread and (hopefully) see more people echoing that message than people calling for it to be removed.

I apologise if my last post seems insensitive as I posted my last post before I saw your post. I had to step away from my laptop because I was upset and didn't want to rant too hard--I think I still ranted a bit. I reckon you posted during this time.

Maybe this is how you feel, but you cannot speak for other victims. Reminders of sexual assault--no matter how well meaning--still serve as reminders of sexual assault and not everyone survives the fallout as well as you seem to demonstrate. Some people can talk about it and don't freak out when they are reminded--others cannot. The shirt does not belong in the game.

I acknowledge that there is a shame culture for victims of 🐸🐸🐸🐸. While women who do manage to survive the ordeal aren't usually killed by their family members in the US which we can be grateful for, there is still a huge "it was your fault" attitude, yes. That being said, the Sims video game is NOT the platform for social change. Nor is it going to make a difference. It's infuriating that the EA devs have deviated this far from the original game concept that now they are using the game to shove their personal social campaigns on their customers--without informing them beforehand or giving them a choice to opt out. Is EA financially contributing my funds to help victims of sexual assault globally or are they simply contributing to Obama (and political derivatives) campaigns? To be honest, if it isn't the former, then I don't want to know what EA does with my money so that I can sleep at night and play my game during the day.

Political views and English do NOT belong in the Sims. I seriously doubt anyone is going to convince me otherwise--especially if they start by trying to convince me that social media campaigns are good thing rather than a self-serving way to be detached from the world because when I want to make a nanoscopic difference on this planet I donate and volunteer, when I want to detach from the world... I play the Sims. And in my very very strong and unrelenting opinion if TS4 is ever to succeed: never the twain shall meet.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2015
    I agree OP, no matter the worthy cause, it, these type of things don't belong in this game. Some could argue (not this one) something else they want to sponsor was pure propaganda, and players have little recourse but to accept propaganda that comes in their patches. It's different if it's free DLC and Simmers want political statements in their games.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    emmaning wrote: »
    Shut it u. But if everyone makes one sim wearing that shirt, I'm sure we can make a difference and promote it at least and if we upload them to the gallery with #betterplace as in 'together we can make this world a better place, together we can stop sexual assault' then it'll promote it and show sufferers that there is hope for them.

I seriously hope that was sarcasm and I missed it :flushed:
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    Shut it u. But if everyone makes one sim wearing that shirt, I'm sure we can make a difference and promote it at least and if we upload them to the gallery with #betterplace as in 'together we can make this world a better place, together we can stop sexual assault' then it'll promote it and show sufferers that there is hope for them.

#notsarcasmthistime
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    I don't know, I see it as support and I'd be happy for good causes to be in-game like anti-poaching shirts or whatever.
    We even HIV awareness stuff in Sims 3 so it's not all that new.

I don't play TS3. And I would happily support an anti-poaching shirt as well, with a picture or some other symbol. I would not support some trite politically motivated slogan for anti-poaching written in my language with no option to opt out. I'm going to install the mod Candace recommended and get over it, but I sure as hell am not going to give EA another dime. In fact, every time they release an EP or GP that I may have considered buying going forward instead of buying it, I'll donate to a organisation that makes a difference. And to drive my point about how unpleasant this experience has been for me: I won't donate to any organisations that deal with sexual abuse.

I'll leave that to you guys who support putting these kinds of things in the game. #betterplacethatEA
  • Options

#notsarcasmthistime

It's actually easier to stop sexual assault than this. Just don't do it. Now try explaining that to someone who does and see how effective you are. America is a religious, misogynistic, anti-individual, homophobic, bigoted nation--if you think your video game T-Shirt is going to change sexual assault while ignoring all the underlying factors of it, then you got shafted in your critical thinking class and should probably go demand your money back :unamused:

That said, if you were tempted to attack someone before you saw this sim shirt, then perhaps EA is on the right track and I stand corrected.

I assumed you were being sarcastic because you have #yolo in your signature... which for me indicates that someone does not wish to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Now that I know what it is, I have to kind of agree with nanashi-sims. I play the Sims to escape from my crappy life, I don't want a sudden and unexpected reminder of the moment that destroyed my life. I can never be normal. I cannot be touched. My marriage failed, and I will be alone for the rest of my life because I cannot have a normal relationship. Your t-shirt will not fix my life. I have learned that no one really cares. It took me more than half my life to even say anything, and I thought it would make me feel better. Instead it ripped a scar off a wound that will never be healed, and reaffirmed my belief that while people say they care, they don't. Not really.

I was already unhappy with this game. At this point I think I am done with it.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    AshlynneAshlynne Posts: 288 Member
    I came across this t-shirt again yesterday when I was planning my sims new outfit. Every time I see it I get a frown on my face. I do not like English in my simlish game, it doesn't belong there.

But it must have been deliberate, because it was to support the 'it's on us' campaign thingy I believe. Worthwhile cause, but I still don't feel like it should be in our game. They should have used the logo but translated it into simlish letters.

I just looked up the campaign, ugh... what the hell?! :rage: What is WRONG with the devs? Are they trying to kill this franchise?! Politics don't belong in this game any more than English T-shirts do. Great, now I can think about 🐸🐸🐸🐸 every time I browse the CAS. God forbid a victim of sexual assault plays this game... lovely little trigger there, EA.

Is this only for the American game? I bought a global code, maybe it would have been better to download the game from the UK site :confounded:

Please someone bring Will Wright back to save this sinking ship.

Hopefully they did it for altruistic reasons and not because news outlets covered the story of them supporting the campaign (free advertising).
    qLr9gBj.png
    This is what I look like IRL. "Bald is beautiful" my husband says. I'm getting used to it and I'm starting to like being bald.
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    I just looked up the campaign, ugh... what the hell?! :rage: What is WRONG with the devs? Are they trying to kill this franchise?! Politics don't belong in this game any more than English T-shirts do. Great, now I can think about 🐸🐸🐸🐸 every time I browse the CAS. God forbid a victim of sexual assault plays this game... lovely little trigger there, EA.

RIGHT? I also just looked it up and was pretty much appalled...yeah, good cause but definitely not something to put in a game like this! Tf?
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options

Well, that was uncalled for and rude. Reported.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Just ignore it? Its a shirt... Its not cc so it wont break your game, i don't see the big deal
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Just ignore it? Its a shirt... Its not cc so it wont break your game, i don't see the big deal
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Wow, this is very old news, has been there I think since base game. I see nothing wrong with it. If you don't like it don't use it. There problem solved.
  • Options
    Orchid13 wrote: »

It has a deeper meaning than being "just a shirt" to some people, lol.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    Ashlynne wrote: »
    I came across this t-shirt again yesterday when I was planning my sims new outfit. Every time I see it I get a frown on my face. I do not like English in my simlish game, it doesn't belong there.

But it must have been deliberate, because it was to support the 'it's on us' campaign thingy I believe. Worthwhile cause, but I still don't feel like it should be in our game. They should have used the logo but translated it into simlish letters.

Is this only for the American game? I bought a global code, maybe it would have been better to download the game from the UK site :confounded:

Please someone bring Will Wright back to save this sinking ship.

Hopefully they did it for altruistic reasons and not because news outlets covered the story of them supporting the campaign (free advertising).

Are you serious?! Can the answers for my down the rabbit hole question really get any worse? Ugh... words can't even... :rage:
  • Options

It's not even a bad message its a good one for awarness and stuff.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Taranatar9Taranatar9 Posts: 1,062 Member
    It's a stupid campaign mostly for the fact that no it's not, in fact, on us.
  • Options

Awareness of sexual assault. Not something I want to be reminded of in a game I play for fun.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options

And this is the reason why the message fails. Some of us are actually bothered by the idea of references to sexual assault in our game and not able to blithely overlook it. The devs brought it to our attention by deviating from Simlish. They've lost at least one customer over this, and perhaps two--judging by another post. For you, it doesn't make a difference anyway.

The shirt does not belong in the game.
  • Options

Awareness of sexual assault. Not something I want to be reminded of in a game I play for fun.

The game has incest and death even kids die in the game, i hardly doubt a shirt can cause you that much emotional damage. You can also just not wear it or download the mod to make it similish.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015

The game has incest and death even kids die in the game, i hardly doubt a shirt can cause you that much emotional damage. You can also just not wear it or download the mod to make it similish.

LOL, you act like incest was an intentional feature of the game. No...its obviously a bug which is a completely different situation.

Death is a natural part of life. SA isn't.

And before you say things like "i hardly doubt a shirt can cause you emotional damage", maybe you should put yourself in other people's (the victims) shoes and see what triggers you when you see it.

I really don't have much else to say to you, since you behave like a 5 year old in almost every thread I've seen you in.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    Wow, this is very old news, has been there I think since base game. I see nothing wrong with it. If you don't like it don't use it. There problem solved.

It wasn't. I had the base game. I would have noticed it. And not using the shirt doesn't suddenly mean I'm not going to think about 🐸🐸🐸🐸 when I see it and am reminded of the shirt's meaning. I wish it were as easy for me to not be bothered about the "little things" like the actual message...
  • Options

LOL, you act like incest was an intentional feature of the game. No...its obviously a bug which is a completely different situation.

And before you say things like "i hardly doubt a shirt can cause you emotional damage", maybe you should put yourself in other people's (the victims) shoes and see what triggers you when you see it.

I really don't have much else to say to you, since you behave like a 5 year old in almost every thread I've seen you in.

Thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU.
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member

i hardly doubt a shirt can cause you that much emotional damage.

So I haven't been crying my eyes out for the last half an hour? That's good to know. It will make my cats feel better, too. They get very stressed out and meow at me when I cry.

Comments like this is why I know this is an issue people truly do not care about.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    English, French, Japanese, Simlish, whatever... I personally could care less what language one t-shirt is in, especially when it's promoting keeping people safe from sexual assault. I'm sorry you guys feel you are being "forced" to support protecting people from violence (and that it's a bad thing), or that it somehow interferes with your gaming experience. I... I just can't get upset about this like you guys seem to be.

I agree with you. It's a shirt with a good cause and i could careless if the shirt is in english.

And by the way @brookesaywhatx a person did just post he was a victim and he thinks the shirt is positive. Its for support. Common sense. If only you read though

I honestly didnt know the campaign was for that but i support it now and i would support it in the future as well if thet patch in shirts for breast cancer or HIV like someone said earlier, cause they did it in ts3

21mbz47.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top