Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"It's on US" Oversight? CC Mishap? or What?

Comments

• Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited April 2015
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    Ok I'll accept its new to you at least could you presume it isn't to those of us that play or to the forum, so couldn't you next time filter your responses , first to keep it with in the rules but also out of consideration to others.

You have to admit this has been disruptive and it just a shirt in a game

Like others have said before, yeah its just a shirt to some but there are also some people in this thread who are obviously upset over it, and their feelings are as important as the rest of ours. So to tell them they are just being disruptive and to basically shut up about it isn't right, ceej.
    exaggerating what i have said of course makes it seem ok to disregard the rules here, like no talk of politics but asking someone to be considerate is clearly not same as telling them to shut up.

No, but more than one person has said "this thread should just be closed EA won't change anything no point in getting worked up over" which doesn't seem very considerate to me either. Hey, maybe its just me and I'm the only one offended by all this. Oh well, too bad, they won't remove it so I will just go sit in my corner and "deal with it" and not say another word. Is that how it should be? Because obviously my opinion isn't the popular one, and thats how things work around here.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Ok I'll accept its new to you at least could you presume it isn't to those of us that play regularly or to the forum, so couldn't you next time filter your responses , first to keep it with in the rules but also out of consideration to others.

I don't get the fuss over a shirt in the game it was free and is it causing you harm that its for a cause?

More than one victim of sexual assault has posted here that it triggers emotional pain and panic. So yes, it is causing people harm.

I guess you missed this one.
    I'm sorry you don't like English in your game, but for survivors (myself being one of them) it's a little touch in the game that says "you aren't alone. It wasn't your fault. You are believed and supported." Then those people can come read this thread and (hopefully) see more people echoing that message than people calling for it to be removed.

And I guess you missed these.
    Piperbird1 wrote:
    Now that I know what it is, I have to kind of agree with nanashi-sims. I play the Sims to escape from my plum life, I don't want a sudden and unexpected reminder of the moment that destroyed my life. I can never be normal. I cannot be touched. My marriage failed, and I will be alone for the rest of my life because I cannot have a normal relationhip. Your t-shirt will not fix my life. I have learned that no one really cares. It took me more than half my life to even say anything, and I thought it would make me feel better. Instead it ripped a scar off a wound that will never be healed, and reaffirmed my belief that while people say they care, they don't. Not really.

I was already unhappy with this game. At this point I think I am done with it.
    gayars wrote:
    Again, the point is, they could have campaigned/promoted and then offered it for download as an option, and gotten the point across the same. They thrust it down people's throats, and as @Piperbird1 said, it is very upsetting for HER. They forced something on people, which ironically is what the campaign is supposed to be against, I thought. It doesn't bother ME persay, although I still avoid certain news reports of things because it bothers me emotionally due to my own past. In the past, it would have been offered as a free download at the site. Plus, how many people in other countries who don't speak English and know nothing about the campaign are also forced to have it in their game?
    ArchD wrote:
    I have to brace myself every time I go into CAS because whenever I see that shirt I feel a surge of panic and rage. I agree with what the OP has been saying 100%. They've taken what should have been a meaningful message and turned it into an ugly trigger that I have to avoid every time I get on TS4 to escape from real life.

Clear indicators that people are actually being affected by this.

I still hold the opinion of saying nothing and doing nothing is more harmful than being in the open.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    emmaning wrote: »
    ArchD wrote: »
    I have to brace myself every time I go into CAS because whenever I see that shirt I feel a surge of panic and rage. I agree with what the OP has been saying 100%. They've taken what should have been a meaningful message and turned it into an ugly trigger that I have to avoid every time I get on TS4 to escape from real life.

It's also terribly hypocritical for them to force campaigns like that into my game when their Gallery still has pregnant teens (and probably children, IDK I haven't looked for a while) all over it. All I got when I tried to get them to take notice of the pregnant teens and children on the Gallery was a warning and public humiliation, so I can say with certainty they didn't put the It's On Us message into the game because they care about these sorts of issues. If they cared, they would make it impossible for people to upload pregnant teens and children... One of the moderators said to me in my warning message, "Maxis is aware of the pregnancy issue that is happening in the Gallery and before they remove the ability to do it, they are required by law to seek out the creators." (Emphasis added.) That was a little over a month ago, and the Gallery has more underage pregnant girls on it than I want to count today. How long does it take to seek out the creators, and when will it ever stop if they don't stop it before seeking out the creators?

Sorry for the mini-rant and the slight deviation from the topic. It makes me angry to know how hypocritical the SimGurus have become, and I had to say something. They'll pay lip service to things like the It's On Us campaign, no matter what it does to the simmers who are triggered by it, but they won't actually do anything to stop it from happening in the game itself.

Pregnant kids? Not yet I think... Kids can't get pregnant, however some unfortunate teens can.. I agree it's a big issue but there are a lot of creators of this.... The mess around feature does contain small chances of pregnancy I think but most used mods for it...

Please tell me that's not true :/

Sadly it is true :( it's really sad really ik.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member
    edited April 2015
    Ok I'll accept its new to you at least could you presume it isn't to those of us that play regularly or to the forum, so couldn't you next time filter your responses , first to keep it with in the rules but also out of consideration to others.

I am not sure why you think you are the forum police, you can't tell people what to post and what not to post. If people what to discuss the shirt, then let people discuss the shirt.

You don't have to click do on the thread.
  • Options
    Orchid13 wrote: »

Anyway you have this need to argue with me all the time and personally attack me with stuff like "you act like a 5 year old" , that just says a lot about you. I have over 1k likes and over 1000 posts which i doubt you know about, so don't call me immature if you don't know me. If you don't agree with me fine argue, but with actual arguments and not my age. Honestly thats just harrassment

LOL. All the time. Do I know you personally? How the heck do I argue with you ALL THE TIME? I think the first time we ever even talked was yesterday.
    Orchid13 wrote:
    I have over 1k likes and over 1000 posts which i doubt you know about

I have 1.7k likes and almost 7000 posts. I win.
    K is thousand right? So she has more likes compared to posts thn u. If she had 7000 posts, she'd have 7k likes which would be more thn u. @orchid13 would win. They're just likes anyways.

LOL, what? I have 1.7k, thats more than 1k. Posts and likes are different things. Basic math. Gotta love it.

Not arguing about this because its silly lol and that conversation is over with.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    SimplyEnchantedSimplyEnchanted Posts: 221 Member
    edited April 2015

I don't get the fuss over a shirt in the game it was free and is it causing you harm that its for a cause?

More than one victim of sexual assault has posted here that it triggers emotional pain and panic. So yes, it is causing people harm.
    But its a shirt and this is a game so why the big fuss over it. The game isn't real life I realize the shirt stands for a cause but they are complaining now about it after how many months have we had it?

I have already posted that personally I did not know what the shirt meant until today. I think others are in the same boat and which is why they have a problem NOW.

I realize its just a shirt, how many people have posted that now. But the meaning behind it is deeper than that.
    This is a game forum to talk about the game not talk about personal issues. The shirt is in the game deal with it. I think its inappropriate to bring up what the shirt means in a game forum I personally don't want to hear about the sexual assault. In a game forum no way is this a topic that should even be in the forum.

It is a very heavy topic for sims. Not everyone heals or deals with something like this the same way. I think maybe they should have just skipped over it to avoid offense. Unfortunately there's no perfect way to address these things and perhaps EA opened a can of worms trying to do so.

• Options
    ArchDArchD Posts: 338 Member
    Being a victim myself, the shirt doesn't bother me at all. I don't use it in my game, but I'm glad it's there and EA is supporting a good cause. I realize that other victims may not feel the same way, but there's always going to be a risk in upsetting people one way or the other. Yes, it would be nice to have a lot of things put in this game optional, unfortunately it's just not always the case.

What does upset me is comments with people being appalled that a shirt supporting a good cause shouldn't be in their game and USING it as an argument. As if it's beneath them to support it. I could understand if it was a debatable topic, but certainly it won't hurt any of you to have ONE shirt in your game that is easily avoidable to use. Certainly we should all be on the same side of the subject.

Don't make assumptions that victims would be upset with it because it would bring back memories because this thread is actually doing that itself.

Please beware there is a small amount of triggering content in the paragraph below. Nothing graphic, but I'm all queasy and shaken from writing it so skip over this if you're sensitive.

For me, it's the lack of respect that Maxis has for what is an extremely sensitive topic. Some people who have experienced sexual abuse may feel empowered or indifferent about the shirt, but to force something like that into the game is taking the right to choose out of my hands. I didn't have a choice when it happened, so having the power of choice has been a monumentally important thing for me ever since. The fact that they put a shirt that brings up those kind of memories into the game without letting me choose to have it is... I can't begin to explain how I felt when I first learned what the shirt meant when it came out. There are just no words, and no amount of time will ever make those feelings go away.
  • Options
    ArielDelphinusArielDelphinus Posts: 628 Member
    edited April 2015
    This shirt has annoyed me from day one regardless of the meaning behind it. I didn't and don't like English or any language other then Simish. I avoid it as much as possible unless it is something I really really like. I wish someone would come up with a default replacement to make it a nice plain T-shirt because the style is actually nice.

As for the political stance, I think everyone has a right to their own opinion without forcing it and everyone should keep an open mind. Being a person that was severely picked on growing up back in the 80's I would like to think I would be a person that would step in an help someone being hurt or abused and for shame on those who don't and didn't. A campaign of On Us should have never had to be started, human beings should treat each other better.
    “Because if you don't stand up for the stuff you don't like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you've already lost.”
    ― Neil Gaiman
  • Options
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    ArchD wrote: »

It's also terribly hypocritical for them to force campaigns like that into my game when their Gallery still has pregnant teens (and probably children, IDK I haven't looked for a while) all over it. All I got when I tried to get them to take notice of the pregnant teens and children on the Gallery was a warning and public humiliation, so I can say with certainty they didn't put the It's On Us message into the game because they care about these sorts of issues. If they cared, they would make it impossible for people to upload pregnant teens and children... One of the moderators said to me in my warning message, "Maxis is aware of the pregnancy issue that is happening in the Gallery and before they remove the ability to do it, they are required by law to seek out the creators." (Emphasis added.) That was a little over a month ago, and the Gallery has more underage pregnant girls on it than I want to count today. How long does it take to seek out the creators, and when will it ever stop if they don't stop it before seeking out the creators?

Sorry for the mini-rant and the slight deviation from the topic. It makes me angry to know how hypocritical the SimGurus have become, and I had to say something. They'll pay lip service to things like the It's On Us campaign, no matter what it does to the simmers who are triggered by it, but they won't actually do anything to stop it from happening in the game itself.

Pregnant kids? Not yet I think... Kids can't get pregnant, however some unfortunate teens can.. I agree it's a big issue but there are a lot of creators of this.... The mess around feature does contain small chances of pregnancy I think but most used mods for it...

Please tell me that's not true :/

No, that's not true. Teen pregnancy is not a feature of the game.

It's not a feature but there are mods for it and I think there's a small unofficially announced chance on mess around.
    feKqkxf.jpg

• Options

I'm sorry you don't like English in your game, but for survivors (myself being one of them) it's a little touch in the game that says "you aren't alone. It wasn't your fault. You are believed and supported." Then those people can come read this thread and (hopefully) see more people echoing that message than people calling for it to be removed.

Piperbird1 wrote:
    Now that I know what it is, I have to kind of agree with nanashi-sims. I play the Sims to escape from my plum life, I don't want a sudden and unexpected reminder of the moment that destroyed my life. I can never be normal. I cannot be touched. My marriage failed, and I will be alone for the rest of my life because I cannot have a normal relationhip. Your t-shirt will not fix my life. I have learned that no one really cares. It took me more than half my life to even say anything, and I thought it would make me feel better. Instead it ripped a scar off a wound that will never be healed, and reaffirmed my belief that while people say they care, they don't. Not really.

gayars wrote:
    Again, the point is, they could have campaigned/promoted and then offered it for download as an option, and gotten the point across the same. They thrust it down people's throats, and as @Piperbird1 said, it is very upsetting for HER. They forced something on people, which ironically is what the campaign is supposed to be against, I thought. It doesn't bother ME persay, although I still avoid certain news reports of things because it bothers me emotionally due to my own past. In the past, it would have been offered as a free download at the site. Plus, how many people in other countries who don't speak English and know nothing about the campaign are also forced to have it in their game?
    ArchD wrote:

I still hold the opinion of saying nothing and doing nothing is more harmful than being in the open.

And that is wonderful, I'm glad you support the cause. I do too but NOT in a game that I play to escape reality. I don't want people to get it twisted, I'm not against the campaign I think it's great and yes people do need to speak up. I just don't like that it was forced in my game.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    mwdonohue wrote: »
    Again, it is most likely just marketing thing...

It may or may not be a marking ploy. If it is then it's one of the better things that EA has done lately.

You can see a list of other participants here.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/09/19/fact-sheet-launch-it-s-us-public-awareness-campaign-help-prevent-campus-

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited April 2015

But its a shirt and this is a game so why the big fuss over it. The game isn't real life I realize the shirt stands for a cause but they are complaining now about it after how many months have we had it?

I have already posted that personally I did not know what the shirt meant until today. I think others are in the same boat and which is why they have a problem NOW.

I realize its just a shirt, how many people have posted that now. But the meaning behind it is deeper than that.
    This is a game forum to talk about the game not talk about personal issues. The shirt is in the game deal with it. I think its inappropriate to bring up what the shirt means in a game forum I personally don't want to hear about the sexual assault. In a game forum no way is this a topic that should even be in the forum.

It is a very heavy topic for sims. Not everyone heals or deals with something like this the same way. I think maybe they should have just skipped over it to avoid offense. Unfortunately there's no perfect way to address these things and perhaps EA opened a can of worms trying to do so.
    Sims aren't involved in this topic its a game its not real life. NO ONE in this forum should be talking about real life issues especially this one in a game forum that is very inappropriate. That is just a shirt in a game.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member

Piperbird1 wrote:

gayars wrote:
    ArchD wrote:

I'd have to agree with that, holding it in doesn't do anything but hurt a victim further, and can be exceptionally damaging if it's prolonged.
  • Options
    mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    mwdonohue wrote: »
    Again, it is most likely just marketing thing...

It may or may not be a marking ploy. If it is then it's one of the better things that EA has done lately.

You can see a list of other participants here.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/09/19/fact-sheet-launch-it-s-us-public-awareness-campaign-help-prevent-campus-

To the higherups, it probably doesn't matter what the hell it actually is. As long as it makes money, they're happy...
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Astro wrote: »
    Ok, I see what the fuss is about now. I thought someone made a connection between the slogan and assumed ea was supporting this charity.

I still don't see what the fuss is about though. I don't thing EA is "insensitive" for trying to support people who're victims of sexual assault and trying to raise awareness for a problem. Also, I just wanted to point this out right quick, sexual assault does not automatically mean 🐸🐸🐸🐸. It can be anything from forced kissing to groping. So it isn't very likely that the victims of the lesser side of sexual assault will be triggered by a shirt in a video game.

Forced kissing is now sexual assault? Nope it's actually a lot worse where people mess with your sexual parts (i hope I said tht right and it doesn't sound wrong or innapropiate) or force an act that is unforgivable.

Okay I don't think we need to get into any details here. Yes forced kissing is sexual assault and always has been. Please do not post things you clearly know nothing about.

Forced kissing? Ok sure you believe tht although I dont. Sorry I didn't mean it to be detailed I was being generic as idk how else I can put it... Btw I know about sexual assault... I Know more thn u may think...
    feKqkxf.jpg

• Options
    Ok, I see what the fuss is about now. I thought someone made a connection between the slogan and assumed ea was supporting this charity.

I still don't see what the fuss is about though. I don't thing EA is "insensitive" for trying to support people who're victims of sexual assault and trying to raise awareness for a problem. Also, I just wanted to point this out right quick, sexual assault does not automatically mean 🐸🐸🐸🐸. It can be anything from forced kissing to groping. So it isn't very likely that the victims of the lesser side of sexual assault will be triggered by a shirt in a video game.

Forced kissing is now sexual assault? Nope it's actually a lot worse where people mess with your sexual parts (i hope I said tht right and it doesn't sound wrong or innapropiate) or force an act that is unforgivable.

Okay I don't think we need to get into any details here. Yes forced kissing is sexual assault and always has been. Please do not post things you clearly know nothing about.

Forced kissing? Ok sure you believe tht although I dont. Sorry I didn't mean it to be detailed I was being generic as idk how else I can put it...

You are being extremely offensive now. Please stop with these posts. I am not going into it any more as it's not a discussion for here.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It doesn't matter who wants this thread closed because they feel it has disrupted this community. The point is EA forces players to support their agenda whether they agree or not, whether a good things or a bad thing. This should have all been offered to those in DLC. It doesn't matter who didn't know what it meant or why, or how long it took them to figure it out. And it's not up to others to tell them (the forum police) they should have just searched the forum to find out what it was. The point imho, is I may not support nor agree with something EA likes, supports, donates to in the future, and I as a player shouldn't have any representation forced into 'my' game. No one has to make a post begging EA to pu the trash can back in CAS to get rid of clothes we don't like. There is already a thread about that if they want to bother about telling someone they should have made that thread instead of this one. If they themselves had took the time to google that thread.

The point I am maybe a few others is this, we shouldn't have to accept anything in our games if we don't want it in these patches. Period.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It doesn't matter who wants this thread closed because they feel it has disrupted this community. The point is EA forces players to support their agenda whether they agree or not, whether a good things or a bad thing. This should have all been offered to those in DLC. It doesn't matter who didn't know what it meant or why, or how long it took them to figure it out. And it's not up to others to tell them (the forum police) they should have just searched the forum to find out what it was. The point imho, is I may not support nor agree with something EA likes, supports, donates to in the future, and I as a player shouldn't have any representation forced into 'my' game. No one has to make a post begging EA to pu the trash can back in CAS to get rid of clothes we don't like. There is already a thread about that if they want to bother about telling someone they should have made that thread instead of this one. If they themselves had took the time to google that thread.

The point I am maybe a few others is this, we shouldn't have to accept anything in our games if we don't want it in these patches. Period.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Everything you said has been what I have been trying to say the last 6-7 pages lol. You have a way with words, as usual Cine B)
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    Ok I'll accept its new to you at least could you presume it isn't to those of us that play or to the forum, so couldn't you next time filter your responses , first to keep it with in the rules but also out of consideration to others.

Like others have said before, yeah its just a shirt to some but there are also some people in this thread who are obviously upset over it, and their feelings are as important as the rest of ours. So to tell them they are just being disruptive and to basically shut up about it isn't right, ceej.
    I'm sure a lot of this could've been avoided if everything was worded just a little bit differently. IF

It always has been sexual assault, though I would refrain from wording things like that because you might set some people off. Though I personally agree that 🐸🐸🐸🐸 is a lot worse. (Although they can both be equally traumatizing in some cases)

I'm sorry I was being generic it grossed me out just writing it... I tried to write it as well as I could... But really how can kissing be that traumatising or classified in the same category as things like grope.
    feKqkxf.jpg

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    I don't use that particular shirt, but only because it's not in simlish. I can see why players who have suffered sexual assault wouldn't want it in their game, though. You don't what to be reminded of the experience when you're trying to relax.

I honestly wouldn't mind having a shirt that showed support for LGBT rights or animal rights in my game though (the shirts should be written in simlish, of course). I don't think that would trigger anyone and both are good causes.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I'm sure a lot of this could've been avoided if everything was worded just a little bit differently. IF

It always has been sexual assault, though I would refrain from wording things like that because you might set some people off. Though I personally agree that 🐸🐸🐸🐸 is a lot worse. (Although they can both be equally traumatizing in some cases)

I'm sorry I was being generic it grossed me out just writing it... I tried to write it as well as I could... But really how can kissing be that traumatising or classified in the same category as things like grope.

I have reported your post and PM'ed a moderator about it. You are being extremely graphic and it's very offensive (to me, and I'm sure a few others as well).
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options

Idk, I think at this point the topic should just be closed. There's nothing left to discuss and all is has caused it people to get mad.

Agreed
    feKqkxf.jpg

• Options

Forced kissing? Ok sure you believe tht although I dont. Sorry I didn't mean it to be detailed I was being generic as idk how else I can put it... Btw I know about sexual assault... I Know more thn u may think...

Although it varies by state and country assault can be defined by any manner of unwanted touching to your body.

• Options
    webdznrwebdznr Posts: 572 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    I felt at the time that I should've been offered a choice to get the shirts or not. Supporting charities and causes is a personal choice. If they get forced upon you, your personal feelings towards charities and causes are getting disrespected.

Same with a lot of the patched-in CAS content.

I like the sentiment behind the shirt, but I'm vehemently against English/the Latin alphabet in my games. I thought the same about a lot of the Diesel-sponsored content in TS3.

I feel if they wanted to include it, they should have put it in free downloadable content. That way the purists wouldn't have had to be forced to see it in their game. Just my 2 cents.
    The Sims 4 :: Think 'inside' the box.
  • Options
    mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2015
    Cinebar wrote: »

Because EA as a corp. doesn't have many morals, as long as they rake in the cash, it's fine. Think about it. It doesn't matter if they are forcing their agenda. Their agenda is monetary based. As a consumer, it is foolish for me to think that they are forcing their agenda on anyone if their agenda is based off of making money...
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top