Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"It's on US" Oversight? CC Mishap? or What?

Is anyone else bothered by the English t-shirt in the game? What is it doing in my simlish game?! I did install some CC so it might be some weird mishap... but I'm pretty sure this shirt came with the game. If so, why is it not in Simlish? Was this intentional? Are we to expect more English in our game?

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    I came across this t-shirt again yesterday when I was planning my sims new outfit. Every time I see it I get a frown on my face. I do not like English in my simlish game, it doesn't belong there.

But it must have been deliberate, because it was to support the 'it's on us' campaign thingy I believe. Worthwhile cause, but I still don't feel like it should be in our game. They should have used the logo but translated it into simlish letters.
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    I came across this t-shirt again yesterday when I was planning my sims new outfit. Every time I see it I get a frown on my face. I do not like English in my simlish game, it doesn't belong there.

But it must have been deliberate, because it was to support the 'it's on us' campaign thingy I believe. Worthwhile cause, but I still don't feel like it should be in our game. They should have used the logo but translated it into simlish letters.

I just looked up the campaign, ugh... what the hell?! :rage: What is WRONG with the devs? Are they trying to kill this franchise?! Politics don't belong in this game any more than English T-shirts do. Great, now I can think about 🐸🐸🐸🐸 every time I browse the CAS. God forbid a victim of sexual assault plays this game... lovely little trigger there, EA.

Is this only for the American game? I bought a global code, maybe it would have been better to download the game from the UK site :confounded:

Please someone bring Will Wright back to save this sinking ship.

• HeyYoDiscoNickHeyYoDiscoNick Posts: 463 Member
    Worthwhile cause, but I still don't feel like it should be in our game. They should have used the logo but translated it into simlish letters.

The logo is too basic to be recognizable in simlish. It's reliant on the recognition of the slogan and just wouldn't have worked very effectively. If you're trying to send a message you don't garble it so maybe people get it. If it had been in simlish, the chances of people seeing it and thinking “oh! That's the ‘it's on us' T-shirt, I think!' Is slim to none. The written simlish language is meant to be vague so that people can think it says whatever they want. It's too different from English.

I just think of it like people in the western world who wear shirts with Japanese writing on them or something. Many can't read it or even guess what it means but it “looks cool" so they wear it. A Sim wearing the “It's on Us" shirt is the Sims version for that.
    Worthwhile cause, but I still don't feel like it should be in our game. They should have used the logo but translated it into simlish letters.

The logo is too basic to be recognizable in simlish. It's reliant on the recognition of the slogan and just wouldn't have worked very effectively. If you're trying to send a message you don't garble it so maybe people get it. If it had been in simlish, the chances of people seeing it and thinking “oh! That's the ‘it's on us' T-shirt, I think!' Is slim to none. The written simlish language is meant to be vague so that people can think it says whatever they want. It's too different from English.

I just think of it like people in the western world who wear shirts with Japanese writing on them or something. Many can't read it or even guess what it means but it “looks cool" so they wear it. A Sim wearing the “It's on Us" shirt is the Sims version for that.

Except that using the shirt means that you have consciously decided to have your sims take a social media stance (because really that's all this is) against sexual assault or that you don't care about the message at all anyway and are using it for a Retail slogan (which is what I thought it was) like: our store items are so cheap they might as well be on us :unamused: I get it, the world is a pretty plum place, but it isn't in my game. I guess I'm a nicer chap than god, and I don't want to have to think about these kinds of issues when I play a video game.

I regret asking about this shirt because now it just 🐸🐸🐸🐸 me off. Again, is this only for the American version of the game? Ugh, how I loathe social media. I hope EA put these shirts in FIFA and other games... I mean, it's unfair that only TS4 keeps getting all the horrible bad no good deal-breaking choices.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Well you can ignore the shirt, it was added in patch so it's not a loss to just ignore it. It's in all version as the patches are created and distributed on origin
  • LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    I felt at the time that I should've been offered a choice to get the shirts or not. Supporting charities and causes is a personal choice. If they get forced upon you, your personal feelings towards charities and causes are getting disrespected.
  • UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    There's actually a mod that makes that shirt simlish. It looks nice, and very unrecognizable. I use it a lot now that I have it in simlish.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    me i do not mind that the T-shirt is in english french or any other language i do not mind at all nothing to get upset about
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    Well you can ignore the shirt, it was added in patch so it's not a loss to just ignore it. It's in all version as the patches are created and distributed on origin

You don't get it, @06Bon06, the whole point is that you don't ignore it. It was unsettling in my game before I even knew what the meaning of the shirt was. I thought it was a retail related message and a mistake. English doesn't belong in the game--especially English sanctioned by Maxis. What is upsetting is the message that was forced into my game and it shows that the current development team has no issue forcing their political values and social media campaigning on players. FYI: the only way to install GTW was to allow all of the patches. I can ignore the Tiki lounge... I can't ignore this.

Also sexual assault is a traumatic experience that isn't something that should be made light of in a video game. I often play TS2 when things are particularly bad IRL. It helps me avoid for a bit until I can calm down and cope with reality. What if I had been recently sexually assaulted and was playing the Sims to not have to keep reliving that moment? How would this this not be a trigger? How does putting this shirt in this game do more good than it can do harm? What, have TS4 players now stopped their rampant sexual abuse? Or were they completely unaware that it happens and it's awful? In this case, last time I checked the Sims had a rather large female audience and this has always been a nasty reality... no pixelated shirt is going to make this better.

Does this make me want to support the Obama's political campaign? No, it doesn't. Does it change my opinion about sexual assault--if I was a sociopath who did think that sexual assault was OK or was so delusional that to believe that sexual assault never happened, I sure as hades wouldn't be moved by the campaign anyway! Instead knowing what this shirt represents just takes me to a dark place.

Does it make me less likely to ever support EA financially again, even if toddlers come out. Yes, it does. I don't want to have to deal with English child abuse slogans in my game just to play with toddlers. Political topics are not permitted in the forums for a reason... one would think that the devs would have considered this before they shoved their own show of support for political campaigns into the game.

candace92 wrote: »
    There's actually a mod that makes that shirt simlish. It looks nice, and very unrecognizable. I use it a lot now that I have it in simlish.

Thank you @candace92 for letting me know this. Do you have a link to the mod? I would feel a lot better having this slogan out of my game asap. :relieved:
    edited April 2015
    I don't know, I see it as support and I'd be happy for good causes to be in-game like anti-poaching shirts or whatever.
    We even HIV awareness stuff in Sims 3 so it's not all that new.
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member

I just looked up the campaign, ugh... what the hell?! :rage: What is WRONG with the devs? Are they trying to kill this franchise?! Politics don't belong in this game any more than English T-shirts do. Great, now I can think about 🐸🐸🐸🐸 every time I browse the CAS. God forbid a victim of sexual assault plays this game... lovely little trigger there, EA.

Is this only for the American game? I bought a global code, maybe it would have been better to download the game from the UK site :confounded:

Please someone bring Will Wright back to save this sinking ship.

It's in the UK one too.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • NatKingSimNatKingSim Posts: 757 Member
    Is anyone else bothered by the English t-shirt in the game? What is it doing in my simlish game?! I did install some CC so it might be some weird mishap... but I'm pretty sure this shirt came with the game. If so, why is it not in Simlish? Was this intentional? Are we to expect more English in our game?

I totally agree. I have been annoyed about it for a while. The t-shirt fits really nice on sims but the English text is a bummer, we shouldn't have that in the game. I can't figure out how to remove it.
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I felt at the time that I should've been offered a choice to get the shirts or not. Supporting charities and causes is a personal choice. If they get forced upon you, your personal feelings towards charities and causes are getting disrespected.

Same with a lot of the patched-in CAS content.

I like the sentiment behind the shirt, but I'm vehemently against English/the Latin alphabet in my games. I thought the same about a lot of the Diesel-sponsored content in TS3.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • EsnesNommocEsnesNommoc Posts: 1,243 Member
    Having death in the game doesn't mean you're "forced" to kill Sims, or forced to support death (in real life). :# Same goes with this shirt in my opinion. :#
    Though agree, it would have been nicer if the shirt were to be in Simlish. :)
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    The logo is too basic to be recognizable in simlish. It's reliant on the recognition of the slogan and just wouldn't have worked very effectively. If you're trying to send a message you don't garble it so maybe people get it.
    I can see where you're coming from with that, but how many people actually know what the slogan represents anyway? And if you do already know, then it wouldn't matter if it was in simlish ;)

It doesn't bother me that much really, I ignore it most of the time, but if you do want the simlish version it is at Mod The Sims. Just google TS4 Its On Us Tshirt and you will find it (sorry, I am wary of giving links since I was banned once for doing so).
    Also sexual assault is a traumatic experience that isn't something that should be made light of in a video game. I often play TS2 when things are particularly bad IRL. It helps me avoid for a bit until I can calm down and cope with reality. What if I had been recently sexually assaulted and was playing the Sims to not have to keep reliving that moment? How would this this not be a trigger? How does putting this shirt in this game do more good than it can do harm? What, have TS4 players now stopped their rampant sexual abuse? Or were they completely unaware that it happens and it's awful? In this case, last time I checked the Sims had a rather large female audience and this has always been a nasty reality... no pixelated shirt is going to make this better.

Promoting a campaign that seeks to end sexual violence is not "making light" of an issue, even if it's in a video game.

The message is a clearly positive one, and shouldn't be triggering at all. It's the slogan of a movement that says "it's not your fault. We're here to protect you and support you, and if we band together we can stop this from happening again." Saying "it's on us" is so powerful and positive because so many victims of sexual assault will often hear a million different versions of "it was on you." You said something, you did something, you wore something and so you played a part, which is so disgusting and wrong.

Just the fact that we're talking about this now and having a dialogue about it is proof positive that the shirt was a good idea.

I'm sorry you don't like English in your game, but for survivors (myself being one of them) it's a little touch in the game that says "you aren't alone. It wasn't your fault. You are believed and supported." Then those people can come read this thread and (hopefully) see more people echoing that message than people calling for it to be removed.

Wow... You said a positive thing there. I feel sowwy for u being a victim of 🐸🐸🐸🐸/grope (I hope it's not innapropiate or offensive I said tht)
    feKqkxf.jpg

English, French, Japanese, Simlish, whatever... I personally could care less what language one t-shirt is in, especially when it's promoting keeping people safe from sexual assault. I'm sorry you guys feel you are being "forced" to support protecting people from violence (and that it's a bad thing), or that it somehow interferes with your gaming experience. I... I just can't get upset about this like you guys seem to be.

This is the problem with social media campaigns. How does playing a video game support protecting people from violence, and let's be real here and avoid euphemisms we are talking about 🐸🐸🐸🐸 (a word that EA considers so awful that it censors it in this forum and yet now encourages players to think about every time they play the TS4) and while it doesn't happen only to females, unfortunately they are the majority of victims as well as a large majority of Sims players. Fact #1: 1 in 6 women have been and will be sexually assaulted and more than 6 women play the Sims Fact #2: someone is being sexually assaulted as we have this conversation. Fact #3: you playing your video game has not done a bloody thing to change Fact #1 and Fact #2. Some of us do think about the world issues seriously and actively do things to make the infinitesimal differences that we can... when we play a video game that is our own time and not about changing the world. We shouldn't be forced to deal with terrible subjects in a sims game.

If the devs want to bring more realism in the game they should fix the awful emotions system so that sims are more realistic. It's frighteningly ironic that these TS4 simbots can now wear the equivalent of a "sexual assault is bad" t-shirt and yet don't seem to care enough about even the smallest interactions which should affect them.

Maybe this is some commentary on how shallow social media campaigning is.

By the way, in regards to making a difference, I wonder if this shirt is supporting the protection of the girls from the crass social media "Bring Our Girls Back" campaign. Remember them? Or is their plight no longer #trending now that they've been forced to marry their kidnappers and are the pièce de résistance for the Boko Haram? While arguably altruism in general is self-serving, social media campaigns are the worst way to go about feeling better about yourself... because no one gets helped and those social media advocates haven't earned the right to feel better about themselves anyway... they would have been better off just doing self-affirmations in the mirror in the like of "I'm a good person... really." for what amount of "good" they've done :unamused:
  • LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »

Same with a lot of the patched-in CAS content.

I like the sentiment behind the shirt, but I'm vehemently against English/the Latin alphabet in my games. I thought the same about a lot of the Diesel-sponsored content in TS3.

I loved and still love the Diesel clothes. But like Sweet Treats, you had the option of buying it or not.

I refrain from further comments on the campaign apart from repeating again that I choose which charity or cause I support.

• PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    OK, I live under a rock. Could someone post a pic of this shirt and explain what it means? I've never noticed an English shirt in CAS or heard of It's on us.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
    English, French, Japanese, Simlish, whatever... I personally could care less what language one t-shirt is in, especially when it's promoting keeping people safe from sexual assault. I'm sorry you guys feel you are being "forced" to support protecting people from violence (and that it's a bad thing), or that it somehow interferes with your gaming experience. I... I just can't get upset about this like you guys seem to be.

This is the problem with social media campaigns. How does playing a video game support protecting people from violence, and let's be real here and avoid euphemisms we are talking about 🐸🐸🐸🐸 (a word that EA considers so awful that it censors it in this forum and yet now encourages players to think about every time they play the TS4) and while it doesn't happen only to females, unfortunately they are the majority of victims as well as a large majority of Sims players. Fact #1: 1 in 6 women have been and will be sexually assaulted and more than 6 women play the Sims Fact #2: someone is being sexually assaulted as we have this conversation. Fact #3: you playing your video game has not done a bloody thing to change Fact #1 and Fact #2. Some of us do think about the world issues seriously and actively do things to make the infinitesimal differences that we can... when we play a video game that is our own time and not about changing the world. We shouldn't be forced to deal with terrible subjects in a sims game.

If the devs want to bring more realism in the game they should fix the awful emotions system so that sims are more realistic. It's frighteningly ironic that these TS4 simbots can now wear the equivalent of a "sexual assault is bad" t-shirt and yet don't seem to care enough about even the smallest interactions which should affect them.

Maybe this is some commentary on how shallow social media campaigning is.

By the way, in regards to making a difference, I wonder if this shirt is supporting the protection of the girls from the crass social media "Bring Our Girls Back" campaign. Remember them? Or is their plight no longer #trending now that they've been forced to marry their kidnappers and are the pièce de résistance for the Boko Haram? While arguably altruism in general is self-serving, social media campaigns are the worst way to go about feeling better about yourself... because no one gets helped and those social media advocates haven't earned the right to feel better about themselves anyway... they would have been better off just doing self-affirmations in the mirror in the like of "I'm a good person... really." for what amount of "good" they've done :unamused:

Shut it u. But if everyone makes one sim wearing that shirt, I'm sure we can make a difference and promote it at least and if we upload them to the gallery with #betterplace as in 'together we can make this world a better place, together we can stop sexual assault' then it'll promote it and show sufferers that there is hope for them.
    feKqkxf.jpg

edited April 2015
    @Piperbird1
    I'll give you a screenshot in a sec

Golluma is a bit busty LMAO
    04-12-15_3-54nbspPM_zpsaoxnaaek.png
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    I am all for the cause, so I have no problems with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top