Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tell us your Magic Moments from the last 15 years

Comments

• Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    I have had many happy memories playing the Sims games over the past 15 years.

Far & away the most magical was the first ever time I played The Sims. I bought it because it sounded different than any other game I'd played before - it was that & so much more!

I remember waiting anxiously for my kids to go to sleep so that I could install & play it uninterrupted. I started it up, & immediately loved that catchy theme, & the opening. I played through the tutorial & then just kept going. Before I knew it, it was 5:30 in the morning - I had stayed up all night lost in the game, the fun only limited by my imagination!

Since that first day, I have gone on to play every version of the Sims series. I've tried many different scenarios, played both premade families, & those I made myself, & bought nearly every expansion pack, stuff pack, & store content ever released. But no memory stands out in my mind more than the very first time I "simmed."

• Options
    MegandtheMoonMegandtheMoon Posts: 1,831 Member
    I first started playing the Sims when my friend let me try it at her house. I hogged it for hours. I was her BFF from then on - until I got my own copy. ;) The Sims games just have a way of drawing you in; you lose track of time because you're so wrapped up in your Sims' lives. Indeed, I grow very attached to my Sims and as a result I rarely play a family through to old age because I just hate seeing one of my Sims die. I just move one of the grown children out and start their story.

However, in one of my Sims 4 games I had a bit of an epic romance storyline going on. I had two Sims (Elle and Reed) who couldn't pluck up the courage to admit their feelings to each other. One day Elle died suddenly and Reed was left devastated (me too, might I add). This was the first picture I took of them when Elle first spawned as a ghost.
    tumblr_nhb0h00TJy1rj73rzo2_1280.png

Then I had a thought - Reed already had a lot of skills built up - why not resurrect Elle with ambrosia? And so Reed set to work doing everything required to get the necessary ingredients. He built a rocket ship and collected all of the space rocks, he grew a deathflower plant, he caught an angelfish, and he maxed his cooking skills.

[ I feel I should admit that I turned aging off for this part of the story... despite his aptitude for learning Reed was already an adult and at the rate things were progressing it would have been a rather grey, elderly Reed that met Elle after her resurrection.]

With everything gathered, Reed presented the meal to Elle.
    tumblr_nil3s1QOwS1rj73rzo9_540.png

Reed was rewarded for his efforts and Elle was successfully resurrected. They are now married with four children! In this story a magical meal created a magic moment for me.

tumblr_nil3s1QOwS1rj73rzo10_r1_540.png
    tumblr_nil3s1QOwS1rj73rzo4_500.png
    tumblr_nh3ivhx9ob1rs61ydo1_500.gif
  • Options
    SimGuruBChickSimGuruBChick Posts: 1,013 SimGuru (retired)
    Claeric wrote: »
    I doubt this is something that would be shared on the site, but I want to share it anyway.

The original Sims came out when I was 10. After a while, two of my male sims became good friends...and I realized they could kiss. So I let them kiss.

It didn't... Really mean anything. It was just boys kissing. I didn't realize it meant anything or was anything strange. I never really played a female sim ever again. I always made boys, and if they were friends enough, I would let them kiss and hug and when Hot Date came out, go on dates.

It made me happy, in my heart. I felt warm and, as weird as it sounds, safe. Not that male/female sim couples felt dangerous. It just felt nice.

Sexuality at that age doesn't really mean anything. When I saw them kiss I felt like I imagine straight people feel the first time they see a kiss in a movie or something. Nothing like that ever hit me in any way whatsoever. Then one day my sim could kiss his best buddy, and I had them kiss, and it meant something I didn't understand.

I think that might be a part of why people don't understand why there's a "need" for gay options in games with straight options. Straight options are not the same. The impact and emotional investment just is not there. When a straight person sees that kiss in that movie for the first time and it really hits them on a personal level, they take that for granted. It's normal for them. They're always experiencing it. But that was the first time I experienced the idea of two men in a relationship as more than friends, connecting on a much more significant level.

And I think if that hadn't happened, it would've been a lot harder for me, a few years later, to deal with the reality of my own sexuality. The Sims is very important to me in part because it helped me realize my sexuality before I even knew what sexuality was. It broke down the barrier of male/female relationships being all there was, in all media I encountered, and without that who knows when I would've figured it out?

Thank you for sharing such a personal story with us. We have seen many people over the years use The Sims as a way to express their sexuality virtually before they feel comfortable doing so in real life. And, it's not gender specific or even orientation specific. Exploring life's themes in The Sims can be revelatory!
    SimGuruBChick
    Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations
    Thanks to 06bon06 for my lovely new signature pic

p8sfgs0mgkwd.jpg
  • Options
    Lisa124Lisa124 Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi! (: i really need help you know costume contents in some of them it's starting to be weird in my game (it's turning blue in the profile photo) can some 1 help me to fix that and is it just me...? :|
  • Options
    SimGuruBChickSimGuruBChick Posts: 1,013 SimGuru (retired)
    Lisa124 wrote: »
    Hi! (: i really need help you know costume contents in some of them it's starting to be weird in my game (it's turning blue in the profile photo) can some 1 help me to fix that and is it just me...? :|

Hi Lisa, you are posting in the wrong thread. Please try and stay on topic. I recommend you posting in the Technical Discussion or Bugs & Issues sub forums for help. That's where are tech-minded players hang out and they are always very helpful.
    SimGuruBChick
    Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations
    Thanks to 06bon06 for my lovely new signature pic

p8sfgs0mgkwd.jpg
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    The first time I played Sims 2 on my new iMac and had a 'WOW' moment. I really had no idea what I had bought, all I knew was I had heard a lot about it. It was on sale so I thought I'd see what all the 'hubbub' was about. Hooked immediately.
  • Options
    rtuckerrtucker Posts: 199 Member
    One moment I remember is having a 3 worlds with a enough lots to build what I want. how about you guys
  • Options
    Dragon123561Dragon123561 Posts: 2,262 Member
    edited January 2015
    When I first played The Sims 1, this game brought my older brother and sister and I back together playing video games like we did as kids, I was Seventeen at this time. We couldn't get enough of The Sims, Thank you Maxis, and respects to Will Wright. :) (If this get's submitted, if you can please use my Id as, Drutrubuilder)
    Post edited by Dragon123561 on
    OTBANNERhol_zpslahzogjc.png

• Options
    ladymadonnaladymadonna Posts: 141 Member
    it was just playing sims 3 for me...i had loved 2 and was initially disappointed in 3! (sound familiar) but after a while it was truly addictive! Luring Gunther Goth away from his wife and family then leaving him a broken hearted wreck, But collections were my passion! every rock, every bug, every fish...! and oh my...supernatural! my Evil green Witch!!! setting people on fire was a personal all time favourite! you are no more pip goodfellow! whizzing through the free world on her state of the art broom..hanging out in the cemetery chatting with ghosts! owning the town and getting all my royalties! sim game play for me is pretty much building a super sim! skilled in everything possible.. (i turn off ageing for a while to achieve this) building a super house with all my investment royalties! my sim wants for nothing..making her car leopard print in create a style! just because i could! then she adopts a female child to be her prodigy, grows old, dies! and i start again! only with lots and lots of inherited simoleons!! sims 3 was the bees knees for me! loved it! there was so much to do!
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    All I can say is that I really enjoy Sims 3 and 2. I was able to unleash my creativity just a bit more and amuse myself with the game when I came from tired days of school last year. I don't play Sims as often as I used to, but I still like to play once and awhile just to have fun, and to control the outcomes of sims lives.
  • Options
    georgeishungrygeorgeishungry Posts: 94 Member
    When I published the first issue of SMag. It was such an amazing moment; there's some amazing people in this community. <3
    SMagazine is a magazine all about design and inspiration in The Sims, full of your creations, tips and interviews with people in the community (even SimGurus from time to time!)

smagazineofficial.co.uk
  • Options
    Biggos6Biggos6 Posts: 412 Member
    Probably the most magical moment actually happened in The Sims 4 in around November.

I married Cassandra Goth to Malcolm Landgraab, they had their first daughter Nancy Landgraab the II, a week later, because Cassandra was doing her second aspiration Big Happy Family, she became pregnant with the second child. As this was before the December Patch, Cassandra had to go to work (Musician) When she came back, she went into labor, but instead of sending her straight to hospital I decided to send her off to sleep, allowing the moodlet to decay to let her give birth. What made this magical moment was what happened next

She woke up to give birth to the heir of Landgraab dynasty, Malcolm Landgraab the II. For some reason I did not REALIZE that her Bladder was about to fail. I sent her to the bathroom but she failed and had a bladder accident (earning me the achievement for having a sim have a bladder fail with 5 toilets on the lot. LOL, bonus points). This made her Embarassed (+5). What at the time I did not know was that to become Mortified you need +6 points.

Since I wanted to explore the memory feature, I captured her "embarassing" moment and made it into an embarassing memory. The silly me decided to have her right there reminsiince about what just happened, pushing her into being Mortified. Realizing what is going on I sent her to Hide from Everyone to decay her moodlets... I wasn't faste nough, second later I hear the chime and hear the laughs, and she kneels over in her pee puddle.. dying of embarassment.

Cassandra Goth.

What made this moment so memorable was the way it was set up and what power it hold in me, as someone who loves storytelling I came to the conclusion that Cassandra simply died because she gave birth, tragic yes, but in story-mode it holds a powerful method, and is what Sims to me means. One long story that I have the power to shift to what I want it to be.
  • Options
    PhilaminaBPhilaminaB Posts: 64 Member
    edited January 2015
    I have so many, but one that sticks out for me is when I had my first celebrity in the original Sims.. It was so exciting! It was super difficult to do so it made the benefits just that more enjoyable.. I loved the town especially and I used to get so excited whenever I got enough stars to hang out in a certain area or talk to a famous Sim! <3
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited January 2015
    During sims 2 days I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was very upset about that. My grandson told me to try his sims 2 to give me something to take my mind off the treatments. I made a sim in the game and named her Can Cer and then I put her in a house and basically tortured her I took out the windows and doors and the bathroom and the refrigerator and watched what happened. Of course she died. I had killed her like I hoped to kill the cancer that was in my body. I got through the treatments playing the sims 2 in the usual way after the initial first game with the torture, that all helped me through a very tough time. Then when I was cured (never really cured but, cured none the less,) I went in and made another sim this one I called Tri Umph and I played her with a family and everything that she could want (I cheated) and she lived a long time in my game until I stopped the game to play the sims 3. The sims got me through this horrible time by me being able to virtually see that I could kill the cancer and come out better than I was before the cancer. It was good to play that first game the way I did as I had a long row to hoe, and the fact that I could easily virtually kill the sim named can cer helped me to feel that I could kill the cancer cells in real life, if I just shut them out. I am an older player so this was not a "normal" thing for me to do, play a game, but the cancer was not a "normal" thing for me either, so I felt I was good to go! Whatever would get me through. I have been playing ever since. I even play sims 1 sometimes.
  • Options
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    During sims 2 days I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was very upset about that. My grandson told me to try his sims 2 to give me something to take my mind off the treatments. I made a sim in the game and named her Can Cer and then I put her in a house and basically tortured her I took out the windows and doors and the bathroom and the refrigerator and watched what happened. Of course she died. I had killed her like I hoped to kill the cancer that was in my body. I got through the treatments playing the sims 2 in the usual way after the initial first game with the torture, that all helped me through a very tough time. Then when I was cured (never really cured but, cured none the less,) I went in and made another sim this one I called Tri Umph and I played her with a family and everything that she could want (I cheated) and she lived a long time in my game until I stopped the game to play the sims 3. The sims got me through this horrible time by me being able to virtually see that I could kill the cancer and come out better than I was before the cancer. It was good to play that first game the way I did as I had a long row to hoe, and the fact that I could easily virtually kill the sim named can cer helped me to feel that I could kill the cancer cells in real life, if I just shut them out. I am an older player so this was not a "normal" thing for me to do, play a game, but the cancer was not a "normal" thing for me either, so I felt I was good to go! Whatever would get me through. I have been playing ever since. I even play sims 1 sometimes.

older player here too! teenage children... sometimes creating and killing off a sim when emotional or even just grumpy, is a satisfaction us older players can truly appreciate! hence my singleton, child free, career hungry sim!
    wow... just realised i live a secret fantasy life through my sim! ;)
  • Options
    android9android9 Posts: 5 New Member
    When I was first introduced to the Sims, I used to play Sims 2 at my friends' houses all the time, we had the best fun with it. By the time Sims 3 had come out I had purchased Sims 2 and allll the expansion and stuff packs. I loved it.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited January 2015
    @ladymadonna I have a 42 year old son and 3 beautiful grandkids. I am a lucky woman. I just signed for medicare, so I do feel old. So I only play young sims! LOL
  • Options
    @jimmysnan i am only 36 and i feel old! sims is appealing to any age though that's what is so good about it!
  • Options
    chidoriaidachidoriaida Posts: 282 Member
    Ever since I was a child, I love to build houses with Lego and blocks, and play family in the houses I built. In early 2000, when I saw the advertisement on a magazine for The Sims 1, I was beyond excited! I asked myself, is this really happening? I can build houses and play in the houses I built? That sounds like a dream come true! When the TS1 was finally released, it was hard to separate myself from the computer.

3 years later, TS2 was released. I was thrilled because of the graphic and system upgrade. It was, and still is, my favorite game of the series. I had lots of memorable moments with this game:

1) In my legacy family, my sim got married and had 2 kids. In her 3rd pregnancy, she gave birth to the first twins in town, a girl and a boy! I was jumping with joy, it was something that I had not expected.

2) I had plans to have the eldest son of my legacy family to carry on the family name. I carefully chose a bride for him. He has a son and a daughter with his wife. One night, while he was observing the sky through the telescope, he was abducted by aliens. When he returned home several hours later, I heard a familiar music - the music that plays after the try for baby option was successfully. I didn't think much of it at the moment, as I thought I was hearing things. A few hours later, he suddenly rushed to the bathroom and started vomiting in front of the toilet, as if he's having morning sickness. I told myself: "No way this is happening, he's a man, he can't be pregnant!" A day went by, his belly started to get bigger. I told myself: "Oh NOOO!! He IS pregnant!! Are you kidding me?!" I was totally shocked! At that time, I didn't know a male sim can get pregnant after the alien abduction. Two more days went by, the eldest son gave birth to a pair of healthy half-alien twin boys! O_O; Despite their unusual green skin color, the alien twin boys grew up in a loving home and helped to continue the family legacy. Now my legacy family is in their 6th generation!
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    Justine Keaton.

Should I explain it any further? :p
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I had another special moment earlier today after loading another of my legacy games.
    Here's a special update from my test in Glen Harbor.
    I did a test load of Glen Harbor to check on my Mod settings to make sure none of them were messed up from updating my Mods.
    Here's where Davis and Lacey Bell live.
    16343994792_8fb71f6164.jpg
    Here's where Eli and Ami Jankowsky live.
    16344868555_fce26887d5.jpg
    Carol Jankowsky is in his baby cot and Carey's in her own cot.
    16318939596_b310e3e6de.jpg
    Here's where Rudy Wagner and Lacey Walker live.
    16158710349_8a129c2027.jpg
    I took this as Cory and Angel Frankovitch were getting up.
    16344883825_f2ccb0057b.jpg
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    When I first came across some TS3 stories that I ended up liking more than most, for whatever odd reason.

Little did I know that one year later, I'd be dating the person behind them. <3

In actual gameplay, it was when I finished a multi-generational game for the first time ever. I had done so much with The Sims 3 up to that point...a lot of things, but not that. And what motivated me to get there were all the things I could do and characters I could create, situations and atmospheres to set up, and an open world at my fingertips.

*ahem*
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    vonsimmer7vonsimmer7 Posts: 2 New Member
    I'd say my most magical in-game Sims moment happened fairly recently with TS4.

One of my teenage sims [Dylan] sneaked (woah, autocorrect. "snuck" is incorrect? thanks?) out of the house after her boyfriend had been stand off-ish for the days prior, vowing to herself that the first teenage boy she saw, she was going to talk to, flirt with, and kiss. And she DID it. They ended up going on a date five "hours" later, and she didn't get home until 8am the next morning. She tried to sneak back into her room...except her moms and her sister were all awake dancing to the radio, yet worried sick (?) about her well-being. Dylan goes into her room and is soon followed by her sister [Lolita], to catch up about the all-nighter, but before they get a chance to, mom-Margie walks in followed by Mom-Deb, and Mom-Margie is FURIOUS!

She begins to lay into Dylan about how irresponsible her actions were, & how worried sick everyone was. "FLEWBIE-DAH!! ZIP-WEE-ZAPPIDOO!" she exclaimed, and Dylan just looked on in horror as her sister laughed in the background, and mom-Deb smiled nervously. Soon after, Margie became infuriated and tried to take a cold shower to calm herself, while the other 3 ladies talked about the insanity that'd just occurred. Margie soon returns to the living room to dance angrily, & Lolita convinces Dylan to go talk to Margie. Dylan attempts to calm Margie down, but fails, and just as Margie starts to lay into Dylan again, she clutches her chest, &

DIES.
    OF.
    ANGER.

RIGHT next to her microphone and star mat she stood on for comedic, charismatic inspiration. It was sad.

(got the screenshots if anyone's interested ;D)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY THE SIMS! (*)
  • Options
    blaq797blaq797 Posts: 145 Member
    I guess most of what I have to say is in regards to the Sims 3. It was perhaps the best designed system at least in planning of the sims series so far, but it was only after quite the extensive list of player made content began hitting the system and flaws were revealed in the processing level. Now, I see a game that, bloated with all my created sims and all the content I have for it, frankly makes me consider a new machine. I started a new game in dragon valley earlier, and by the time I got to where I am now, with kids and all, the game lags at points rather badly. And admittedly, this might be due to the mods I have to some degree, but it is not the best system for performance. This systems main weak spot is the schools. I've found that if you get too many kids to one school, the queue up will slow the game down as the game tries to work out what kid goes where. But having a game system as Sims 3 was, the game itself with any of the maps, had a school processing limit of like maybe 15 to 30 kids per school. Any more than that per school and the game will bog down. And yet, aside from this major issue I've had. Sims 3 is a really good game even with some of its less obvious setbacks.

Sims 2, the game I played.. and played... and still play, runs absolutely fantastic on my faster laptop. My only beef with that is you did not add compatability with wide screens as the biggest resolution with sims 2 is 1600x1200. really good.

Sims 4, good game, enjoy the sims creator, lament that color choices are not the cats cream as it were back in the older sims 3, those would be nicer to have if possible... Villages... really not enough room to build /colonize villages in fair to middling fashion. More lots to build on please. And while semi annoying, the new load screens are alright, but it could use tweaking, adjusting to instead of loadscreen for every house, a load screen for every little subsection of the village instead. This way, I think it would be a bit more toward sims 3, but without the load screen itis of sims 2. Hope all this feedback helps with future developement of Sims 4.
    Sorry, Avatar is merely my favorite Sims 4 sim.
  • Options
    DariuDariu Posts: 3,120 Member
    my most memorable moment within 15 years was the first time i played the sims 1.
    it was a birthday present
    and it left me in awe...
    ever since; the sims have been a magical reminder of my childhood...
    but alas;
    with the most recent release of the sims 4 and what it had become.
    literally dreams will come to an end...
    and then reality will sink in
    and it will wring the hopes and dreams of expectations from your very soul and crush it repetitively into nothing more than dust in the wind...
    all we are is dust in the wind...

(You had a good run MAXIS; If only... the dream was kept alive to keep on going for many years to come...)

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top