Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ethnicity, Sexuality, Religion, and maybe a Few Other Things

Comments

• Options
    uo_aaronjduo_aaronjd Posts: 425 Member
    master.....its alive!!

I see myself as god controlling my Sims....hey im a married man its the only power i get!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Yeah, this is from an old thread but I can't resist it either. Interesting topic.

Ethnicity
    How do you approach ethnicity in your game? - I try to have a mix of ethnicities. An ethnicity will typically just provide a back story or an idea to help create a sim. I don't try to be overly stereotypical though.
    Do you avoid playing, marrying, creating, or interacting with Sims of certain ethnicity? - Nope, I've played a whole lot of sims over the years. I don't avoid anyone based on ethnicity. In Sims 4, I'm trying to keep a varied population and I like the diversity in CL. I don't avoid any sim based on ethnicity. I do develop a sense of what a particular sim's "type" is and I try to pair them off with someone like that. That is different for each sim just like it is for people.
    What personal/cultural ideals do you fell you impose on your Sims? I think I'm generally pretty tolerant and so I allow them to be the same. I have explored different cultures and lifestyles that aren't connected to my own.
    Do you create characters of a different ethnicity than your own and give them stereotypical personalities, hairstyles or clothing? I do not try to just stereotype my sims. Each of my sims has a personality and makes decisions based upon their own internal motivations and quirks.
    Do your Sims closely reflect your personal ethnicity and cultural values in gameplay? I have made sims from an ethnic background of mine but I've made a lot of others who are different than that as well. The sim from the same background did not look or act like me. I don't want to actually make myself as a sim. I've made sims of other ethnicities and cultures as well. It's part of why I like playing a rotation.
    Do you incorporate socio-economics when creating Sims of various ethnicity? I'm not quite sure what this question means. Socio-economics are part of life. It's like asking if my sims are economic actors within their game world which they are. I do not assign certain sims economic positions based upon their ethnicity if that's what is being asked.

Sexuality
    How do you identify your Sims in regards to sexuality and gender? I play both male and female sims. Most of my sims are straight but I've had some gay or bi sims in the game ever since Sims 1. Actually, The Sims probably helped me to learn tolerance of differences because I got to play as different sims and to see how most sims want basically the same quality of life and have similar needs.
    When and how do you choose your Sims sexual preference/identity? I just see how they develop as they interact with other sims and as they grow up.
    Do you avoid creating LGBT/SGL Sims or do you incorporate them actively? I do not avoid LGBT. I've had one sim born into my main family who I just knew was gay from childhood. He fell in love with his partner when looking at him across the room in a Dine Out restaurant. He never looked at a woman romantically ever. He had a wonderful and happy life. He was one of my most loyal sims.
    Do most of your Sims or your main Sim reflect your sexual identity? I have more hetero sims in Sims 4 so far. I had a lot of bi sims in TS1. I am hetero myself. I am open to gay or bi sims if they show up in my rotation. I know of a few townies whom I've determined are gay but I'm not playing them. One of them is a hospital colleague for my GTW doctor, so I see her around a bit.
    How do you feel about playing romantic actions with a Sim of a different gender or sexual preference than you? Totally cool with it. Like I said, I had a very happy gay couple not too long ago in this game.
    If playing a couple of opposite genders, do you engage certain romantic interactions with one gender? I don't understand this question. My straight sims date the opposite gender and my gay sims date their same gender. If someone wants to date both then they are bi. I don't restrict who they date or do something that isn't right for their preferences.
    In same gender couples, do you place masculine and feminine roles on them? In my recent gay couple, I knew what roles they liked for woohoo. It was steamy, like any other woohoo between attractive sims. They did not have "roles" outside of that. They were both guys. I will say that even among my hetero couples, I know some of their preferences for certain activities. That's just an extension of their personalities.

Religion
    Did you notice the absence of the word "Christmas" from The Sims team and do you have any thoughts on that? I haven't really used the holiday stuff pack lately because I'd rather have Seasons to get me in the mood for that. I guess that the answer is no.
    Do you incorporate religion/spirituality into your gameplay? I play a large rotation and some of my sims do have religious identities. As others have mentioned, I have several Catholics in the mix. I am not a Catholic. Maybe I will think about religious identity of my sims more after thinking about this. I do sometimes determine their positions on the political spectrum.
    Do you view yourself as a God or eternal being among your Sims? I have joked about it. In theory, it is a "God game". If so, I'm mostly a benevolent God but they all eventually die.
    How do you view/observe life and death in your gameplay? Eat, drink, be merry, love, work, sometimes have loss or drama, enjoy life. Eventually the Grim Reaper comes and things move on. I focus on the living but the dead usually do get funerals. I've built a graveyard for remembering them and for solemn goodbyes.
    Do you consider your Sims to be of a certain religion? Answered this above, I play a rotation. There are a few Catholics in my game. There's also a Hindu family because I added Raj Rasoya to my playables and he's a traditional Hindu or possibly Sikh. Salim Benali is not really religious. The sims of my original line in this game are not really religious themselves. I have not created any sims exactly like myself. Rotations mean that I can play with a lot of different sims and see how they want to live.

Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    LoriTSpLoriTSp Posts: 451 Member
    Ethnicity

How do you approach ethnicity in your game?
    I'm happy to see Sims of different ethnicity, though the same random names that are handed out is a bit irritating.
    Do you avoid playing, marrying, creating, or interacting with Sims of certain ethnicity?
    Not at all.
    What personal/cultural ideals do you fell you impose on your Sims?
    Family time .... meals, game/movie night, social activities
    Do you create characters of a different ethnicity than your own and give them stereotypical personalities, hairstyles or clothing?
    I have created characters of different ethnicity and I will try and dress them accordingly.
    Do your Sims closely reflect your personal ethnicity and cultural values in gameplay?
    Yes
    Do you incorporate socio-economics when creating Sims of various ethnicity?
    No

Sexuality

When and how do you choose your Sims sexual preference/identity? I generally wait until the Sim is a teen or YA. I observe them socializing and whomever they make a connection with, male or female gets the go ahead for a relationship.
    Do you avoid creating LGBT/SGL Sims or do you incorporate them actively? All Sims, regardless of gender preference are incorporated.
    Do most of your Sims or your main Sim reflect your sexual identity? Yes
    How do you feel about playing romantic actions with a Sim of a different gender or sexual preference than you? Doesn't bother me.
    If playing a couple of opposite genders, do you engage certain romantic interactions with one gender? Both genders engage equally.
    In same gender couples, do you place masculine and feminine roles on them? No

Religion

It doesn't bother me one way or another, my Sims are not religious though.
  • Options
    JMConceptJMConcept Posts: 123 Member
    It can be such a pain creating ethnic sims in TS2 and S3, I made my S3 sim resemble me in create a sim but in game, especially during noon my sim ends up looking several shades lighter.

Nowadays I don't make white sims, probably since the new CAS makes it much easier to make ethnic sims.

YDupl99.png
    wVtB1qr.png
    LVfSeqP.png
    iUoXTgb.png
    ^Last sim is based on me

My black sims don't have afro textured hair since it's hard to find nice quality afro hair and most black people from my ethnic group have loosely texture hair anyways.

As for sexually, i've played with gay/bi sims, but then again I don't focus on sexuality during CAS.

And as someone who comes from a country that went through a depressing religious revolution not too long ago, I choose not to play with religion in my game.
    a742kT4.jpg
  • Options
    UnrealRootUnrealRoot Posts: 307 Member
    Ethnicity: I play with Sims of my skin colour because I take my Sims as me.
    Sexuality: I don't do romance in the game.
    Religion: I personally always understood the lore of the game as we are the God, when they want something they often look up which makes me believe they try to communicate with us in the game.
  • Options
    LadyJesterLadyJester Posts: 606 Member
    edited March 2017
    When I play I actually don't care about or think about this kind of stuff. I just kinda let things play out. I let my sims marry and date whoever they want to. When I get into CAS I randomized everything until I see a sim i like. I usually only change things like clothes and hair and thats about it. I also don't think about religion in my games. I let my sims celebrate every holiday that they can in game.
  • Options
    Autumn_CatsAutumn_Cats Posts: 347 Member
    Me, I love to use any time of sim, I personally like diversity
    I have a lesbain couple rn in my game but I mostly use straight because I like having children
    I honestly don't care about the religion in my game tbh (Not trying to insult people)
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Yknow something I think this thread highlights is how some parts of life aren't really represented in a game-like manner when you translate them over to the Sims.

Ethnical differences...? The only thing I'd ever consider doing is an arranged marriage....but ALL marriages are arranged since my Sims have no attraction themselves (hint hint EA) so I pick and choose who weds who. Anything else just cannot be represented or is of little purpose to represent. Take the chopsticks of City Living for example. Let's say I made an asian sim and always wanted them to eat food using chopsticks....does this really change anything? Absolutely not, so even if I did this, I picture myself tiring of it and not bothering after a time.

Sexuality...? I never ever ever ever ever make homosexual Sims of any kind. The reason is likely that a Sim in a homosexual relationship just feels like a "missed opportunity." This is a game, and from a "completionist" perspective of fully utilizing a Sim, a homosexual sim is just one that won't get married and have kids. At most they get married and adopt, but then I'm robbed of the ability to see the genetics of the two spouses combined in the form of their child. As such, homosexuality basically does not exist in my Sims games for no reason other than it being a missed opportunity.

Religion is something I do think I could enjoy in this game, but EA would need to provide features for it. I think religious conflicts or benefits based on what religion a Sim has would be all that could make them interesting and worth playing, but I imagine that "religious conflicts" part means we'll never see this feature, since it would require a rather cartoonish representation where Religion X and Religion Y take a relationship hit for adamantly disagreeing with each other's beliefs or the like. Perhaps creating fictional religions would be interesting, for example Sims that (correctly) believe their world is a video game, or other Sims that believe aliens created them. I think people would be less put off by fictional religions having conflicts of that sort, but again I doubt EA does it.

In the end there's really not much that Ethnical differences, religion and homosexuality can provide from a gameplay perspective unless they really buckled down and provided serious gameplay implications related to them, but the problem is much of those gameplay elements would involve conflicts (relationship hits when prejudice occurs), and I doubt that's a subject EA/Maxis want to explore.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    @JMConcept omggggg slayyyyyy!!! Your sims are so pretty!
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    JMConceptJMConcept Posts: 123 Member
    @Ciarassims thank you :*
    a742kT4.jpg
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited March 2017
    For every sim born to my families I roll a D10. If it is 10, the sims is LGBT. If so I then roll a D6. 1 or 4 is homosexual. 2 or 5 is bi. 3 or 6 is transgendered.
  • Options
    jetmackaluvsjotwahjetmackaluvsjotwah Posts: 70 Member
    edited March 2017
    Motivated by a recent post on my storytelling thread here, I wonder how other Simmers approach race, sexuality, and religion in their gameplay.

I wonder if Simmers make conscious decisions about their Sims' society and personal preferences.
    I also wonder what Simmers do without really thinking about or articulating it.

I'll make my OP brief and answer the question personally later, because I am more interested in hearing from others.
    So a couple of questions (not a comprehensive list) I guess I'll throw out there to reflect on personally or publicly and hopefully encourage engaging, insightful dialogue. And you can tack a "Why?" or "How?" at the end of each question.

Ethnicity
    • How do you approach ethnicity in your game?
    • Do you avoid playing, marrying, creating, or interacting with Sims of certain ethnicity?
    • What personal/cultural ideals do you fell you impose on your Sims?
    • Do you create characters of a different ethnicity than your own and give them stereotypical personalities, hairstyles or clothing?
    • Do your Sims closely reflect your personal ethnicity and cultural values in gameplay?
    • Do you incorporate socio-economics when creating Sims of various ethnicity?

Sexuality
    • How do you identify your Sims in regards to sexuality and gender?
    • When and how do you choose your Sims sexual preference/identity?
    • Do you avoid creating LGBT/SGL Sims or do you incorporate them actively?
    • Do most of your Sims or your main Sim reflect your sexual identity?
    • How do you feel about playing romantic actions with a Sim of a different gender or sexual preference than you?
    • If playing a couple of opposite genders, do you engage certain romantic interactions with one gender?
    • In same gender couples, do you place masculine and feminine roles on them?

Religion
    • Did you notice the absence of the word "Christmas" from The Sims team and do you have any thoughts on that?
    • Do you incorporate religion/spirituality into your gameplay?
    • Do you view yourself as a God or eternal being among your Sims?
    • How do you view/observe life and death in your gameplay?
    • Do you consider your Sims to be of a certain religion?

Fell free to add your own questions and social topics to the mix.

*Edited for grammar and this little note here:
    To remain within forum guidelines, I wonder if comments should reflect what we do in-game and not discuss or reflect on real world events or reveal personal information. Thanks ya'll!

Honestly, this is a non-issue and a very personal question... Can we PLEASE not turn the game into more of a PC nightmare than it already is? People complaining already got Santa taken out of the game.. without regard for people who DO want to play with santa.
  • Options
    AssimuloAssimulo Posts: 1,322 Member
    I make a really diverse array of Sims and I like it that way. Sims that are all alike get boring. I have Sims of different races, sexualities, personalities, etc. I don't see myself as a god as much as a creator who can giveth and taketh away. lol My Sims only know of me vaguely because they feel my presence in their lives when they find new toilets and woohoo locations on their lots and admire them for their newness. :D
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Please mods close this 2 year old thread.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    edited March 2017
    My sims have always been and always will be there own race, the Sim race. The Sim race comes in all different colors. Due to my pale china doll skin and how I burn just looking at the sun, I do tend to create sims who are mid toned out of the fact I can't have a tan in real life....LOL But in reality, there is no real race. I do have fair amount of Asian looking skin in my game. I have zero in my ancestry but I have always found them to be a beautiful race and culture.

As far as sexuality goes I have always had same sex couples in my game. In my game I have heterosexual, homosexual, transsexual and bi-sexual sims, as well as couples. I have never played any same sex couples until recently though. It was fluke on how I started playing with same sex couples. My Sim was invited over to one his friends with benefits homes and her BFF Reeve, who is gay was there. (I created the gay sim to be gay.) Well I have mods that allow for autonomous and no strings woohoo. Not long after Shinya arrived she invited my Sim to her bedroom. After they were done Reeve invited my Sim to the bedroom. So I played it in my head that things got a little freaky between the three of them. I really liked how Shina and Reeve looked together so I let a romance blossom between the two them. When I got the Vampire pack, Caleb saw my Sim, came right up to him with flirty introduction and the two hit it off. So my sim is no longer a straight male with commitment issues, he is bi-sexual sim with commitment issues. I started a new game and I am playing the whole the heart wants what the heat wants scenario. Sometimes I will send my sim out to find a new female for the night and he brings home what looks like a female but is one of the many transgender sim I have made. He just rolls with it. He was attracted enough to bring her home in the first place so why stop just because the plumbing was different from what he set for...lol LOL I made all of my townies and I can't even tell what is what...LOL

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited March 2017
    I tend to have tan/olive skin Sims, because I'm tan myself. The skin tone of the Sim in my avatar is similar to my skin tone IRL.
  • Options
    TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited March 2017
    I think it's inevitable our sims reflect our real persons in some way simply due to mere exposure, be it ethnicity, personality, or whatever.

My Sims tend to look Asian as far as I am aware, although they probably don't fit the stereotype of what Asians "should" look like (our eyes aren't THAT slanted!! :o). I do make Sims of different races too using reference pictures.

I don't have any LGBT sims. Nothing against it or anything, just never really got around to making any since I spend more time building houses anyway. I'd imagine buildings are probably more asexual than anything.

Also I am the uncaring and often psychopathic God in my games. Even the reaper shall fear me.
    dgvibNQ.png
  • Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    For every sim born to my families I roll a D10. If it is 10, the sims is LGBT. If so I then roll a D6. 1 or 4 is homosexual. 2 or 5 is bi. 3 or 6 is transgendered.

Hey a fellow dice roller! I don't use it for when determining my sims' sexual preferences (I use flirty mood and watch for intros method) but do use it many a time to see about decisions like babies and events. Sadly lost my physical D12 though. Got an app though that helps.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    It's not that important to shut it down.
  • Options
    uo_aaronjduo_aaronjd Posts: 425 Member

Why? Its stimulating a conversation... many a fine tune played on an old fiddle
    Besides its interesting :)
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited March 2017
    Necro? It doesn't matter, but I want to change my answer.

I'm starting to create sims using ethnicity. And I have to say my sims are turning out great
    French, Irish, Spain, Scotland, Italian, Greek, German, Russian, Asian, Native American, Egyptian, Indian, Tongan.

And yes I do interracial marriages and the babies are beautiful, especially the Irish/Egyptian babies I've just made. And French/Italian/Native American.
    Omg Pacific Islander and African, is a beautiful combination.
    Definitely religion is involved.

Sexual orientation, there is a variety.

I play as Fate, as a story teller, or I play the game as a RPG, Meaning I am the character whom I'm controlling.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited March 2017
    Oh, interesting thread! :) The thread may be old, but the discussion is timeless!

Most of my Sim legacy families end up being interracial. I tend to vary the ethnic make-up of a town depending on the particular story I'm telling. Sometimes the story is set in a particular place, and the townies I create reflect that. Other times I don't have such a specific thing in mind and I take whatever townies the game provides, or just make loads of different-looking Sims. In my main legacy file, the family has so many different ethnicities mixed in, which I think makes the most interesting genetic combinations. :) For example, one of the legacy descendants who just became a young adult has African, Jewish, Argentinian (mix of Italian, Spanish and indigenous), and German ancestry, off the top of my head. These different strains come into the story through the names that the townies who marry into the family are generated with. Sometimes I'll edit townies to match their names better. This stuff doesn't affect my gameplay (unless I'm playing a story set in a certain historical period) but it is fun background for my storytelling. :) Out of habit I often start with white Sims but I've been varying it more lately - I have made quite a few stories in TS4 where Hispanic families are the main characters. The City Living clothing is helping me make more diverse Sims.

I had more gay Sims in TS2 than I do in TS4 because in TS4 I can almost never resist the urge to see what their genetics look like. So a lot of my LGBT Sims end up being bisexual - one hetero relationship might lead to a child, and then the rest of their relationships are same-sex. In most of my stories I don't make use of the same-sex pregnancy options because I like to keep that part of the story more realistic. I haven't had many transgender Sims yet but I'm planning to start incorporating more soon.

For religion, it varies how much it is important to the story. A lot of my Sims end up practicing New Age religions or are hippies. In my main legacy file the family has always tried to celebrate its different roots with the "Famous Annual Bernstein Christmas Hannukah Party". In that case, I decorate the house with the Christmas and Hannukah decor available in the game, add a sweater party outfit for my main Sims, and throw a huge house party. :) (One time, one of the family members brought her boyfriend and things got a little frisky, so when their baby came I named her Noel. :joy:) Most of the time, if it's not a hippie or New Age religion, it plays more of a background storytelling role than anything else in my stories. I would use more religions if there were more holiday objects for those religions.
  • Options
    SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    Here's what I don't get: how are there ethnicities in the Sims? In the real world those divisions actually mean something to some people, in the Sims world it's just a genetic difference.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    SSDSSDSSD2 wrote: »
    Here's what I don't get: how are there ethnicities in the Sims? In the real world those divisions actually mean something to some people, in the Sims world it's just a genetic difference.

It doesn't make a difference in gameplay, really, but some Simmers are storytellers so the decor and clothing and food options can all affect how we fill in the background details of the story. The main way it affects my game is when I make restaurants serve a certain type of ethnic food, and I decorate the restaurant and choose the menu based on that.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    My sims tend to reflect myself, my family and friends so most of them are black and/or latino. I have created white sims for storytelling, I just don't play them as much as poc.

I have played both heterosexual and homosexual couples before. I'll pair two sims that seem compatible with each other regardless of gender.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top