Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ethnicity, Sexuality, Religion, and maybe a Few Other Things

Comments

• Options
    KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
    Ethnicity

How do you approach ethnicity in your game?
    - I always put as many diverse Sims in my game. I just put the Burb family(Bi-racial), Dreamer's(AA's), Keaton's, Angelista(Aren't they Latina's?), and I put Pauline Wan in my game who is Asian. I love adding diversity! It's part of the USA and I love it in my game. In fact, Alexander Goth just had two kids with Olivia Lewis and Cassandra is marrying Darren Dreamer.

Do you avoid playing, marrying, creating, or interacting with Sims of certain ethnicity?
    - Never. I put them in my families to create different genetics.

What personal/cultural ideals do you fell you impose on your Sims?
    - None, I like different Sims.

Do you create characters of a different ethnicity than your own and give them stereotypical personalities, hairstyles or clothing?
    - I never create Sims. I use the library to add previous townies - and yes they are diverse with hair/clothing/personalities.

Do your Sims closely reflect your personal ethnicity and cultural values in gameplay?
    - No, I like different type of Sims and they do not always reflect me.

Do you incorporate socio-economics when creating Sims of various ethnicity?
    - I have a mod and let Sims achieve their own socio-economic status.

Sexuality

How do you identify your Sims in regards to sexuality and gender?
    - I'd say 99.9 % of my Sims are straight.

When and how do you choose your Sims sexual preference/identity?
    - I create my Sims as straight, so they can have babies.

Do you avoid creating LGBT/SGL Sims or do you incorporate them actively?
    - I don't avoid or create them. If they happen, it's fine and if does not I keep moving.

Do most of your Sims or your main Sim reflect your sexual identity?
    - Yes, I am straight and most of them are as well.

How do you feel about playing romantic actions with a Sim of a different gender or sexual preference than you?
    - I have no issues.

If playing a couple of opposite genders, do you engage certain romantic interactions with one gender?
    - Yes.

In same gender couples, do you place masculine and feminine roles on them?
    - No.

Religion

Did you notice the absence of the word "Christmas" from The Sims team and do you have any thoughts on that?
    - Since the Sims is a worldwide game, they should not use Christmas. I celebrate it, but many do not. They did enough anyway to say it was Christmas without saying it outright.

Do you incorporate religion/spirituality into your gameplay?
    - Not really.

Do you view yourself as a God or eternal being among your Sims?
    - No.

How do you view/observe life and death in your gameplay?
    - Like real-life.

Do you consider your Sims to be of a certain religion?
    - Not really.
  • Options
    roman2886roman2886 Posts: 702 Member
    qrlcode wrote: »
    I like a mix of everything (race & sexuality) in my game but often the mix is dictated by the personality of each sim and the other sims that they get close too.

As for religion I'm not religious myself so not really bothered about that although I have created wedding chapels for the game in the past. Also I don't think its weird that the sims team are careful not to mention any particular religion as in corporate America there are a lot of sensitivities around discussing religion and politics in business so its best avoided in case of law suits! Crazy really but that's how it is.
    Agree with all of this. I like that nothing is imposed but also not restricted. I've got sims spread all over the Kinsey scale, polyamorous families, strict nuclear families, and all kinds of racial and ethnic combinations. We can celebrate Halloween or Christmas or totally ignore both, and we make up our own in-game holidays (though it would be cool if we could literally make holidays unique to our own games, like a DIY version of the holidays in Seasons). I think they do a good job leaving these polarizing choices up to the player.

I like Sims of all ethnicities My Young Adult Male Sim David Jones is mixed with every European ethnicity he is also mixed with African American and African Jamaican his Children are even more mixed they have Native American blood in them my Current Young Female Sim i created is a mixture of White American Indian and Polynesian.
  • Options
    axel1015axel1015 Posts: 952 Member
    edited April 2016
    I usually play light-skinned sims. Buttheir nationality varries. They're 99% straight but occasionaly ill make a gay sim for a change. I just like to have my sims have biological kids to see how their genes mix. When it comes to hair I usually make the females blonde and the males have black or brown hair. I like light eyes. Usually green, blue, gray, etc... About 75% of the kids my sims have are out of marriage. That doesn't mean the parents don't get married eventually but I sometimes make sims get "knocked up". I've done a few teen pregnancies but the mods kinda wonky in ts4. My sims aren't religious per se but if they were humans they would be Catholic (like me) (I know kinda ironic for a Catholic to make their sims so naughty! >:)o:) ) also, I don't see myself as God in the game, I think of actually being that sim. So say I'm playing a couple names James and Dianna, when I'm controlling James, I think of myself as James. When I play Dianna, I think of myself as Dianna. I like to put myself in the minds of my sims and try to truly feel their emotions and hardships in my own self. I really get into it. Absolutely love storytelling m.
    FreshLion55 on the Gallery! Happy simming! >:)
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited April 2016
    I don't remember answering this, but I think I did, but I have some new answers.

I my game is very diverse
    I've made a lot of mixed sims, because I am Mixed
    In my game I have, Native American, French, Irish, Italian/Greek, West African, Spanish/Brazil, I'm currently working on a Vietnamese and Middle Eastern sim.

Sexuality, the Sims I've created, I think most are Straight, I have one gay couple, and my Bi sim.
    but in the actual relationships gender roles vary,
    In one relationship it's very old style, the husband provides, and wife stays at home caters to him.
    another relationship it's opposite, the wife provides the man caters to her
    my main sims relationship is very equal, it's almost like a fight for power.

Religion, I have a Church in my game, So Christianity is present in my game, although they don't pray, but I have a Priest.
    I kind of think of myself as my Sim's god, but I don't play the sims, in which I'm watching from above, I play the sims, or would like to play. almost as an RPG, where I'm playing as my sims.
    but everything is planned out for my sims, I know who they are before I create them, I know who they're going to fall in love with. I mean I've already planned how one of my sims is going to die and his burial, and he hasn't even been brought to life yet.

I tend to Real Life, with a Bit of Supernatural elements.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    edited April 2016
    Thought I'd add mine:

Ethnicity

Some sims I already have in mind, and I know if they're white, black, asian etc. I'm pretty rubbish at constructing faces so I generally hit the randomise button until I like the look of what comes up, then tweak certain features a bit.

Do you avoid playing, marrying, creating, or interacting with Sims of certain ethnicity?
    Not at all. If there's a disproportionately low number of one ethnicity or another it's not by design.

I don't think I do really. Apart from the fact that I'm not a children-oriented person, and all my sims are young adults or older.

Do you create characters of a different ethnicity than your own and give them stereotypical personalities, hairstyles or clothing?
    I do have sims of different ethnicities from my own, and everything else about them I choose to suit them, whether it matches their ethnicity or not.

Do your Sims closely reflect your personal ethnicity and cultural values in gameplay?

I suppose so. I have to like them; for me to want to play a sim they've gotta be the kind of person I would get along with.

No. Some sims are a bit richer than others, because it suits their background story or they're a celebrity from real life, but all my sims live comfortably.

Sexuality

They're either male or female, though some are androgynous. Most are in mixed gender relationships but some are in same gender relationships.

I don't know really, it just sort of happens.

I do incorportate them, but I try to focus their relationships with each other around their romantic and friendly interactions; I don't want it to be all about woohoo because, as in real life, there's a lot more to LGBT people than just who they woohoo with.

I'm not gonna tell you which, but I either don't know or choose not to lable my own identity so I couldn't honestly say.

How do you feel about playing romantic actions with a Sim of a different gender or sexual preference than you?
    See previous answer.

If playing a couple of opposite genders, do you engage certain romantic interactions with one gender?
    Sometimes - It tends to me the male sim who proposes to the female, but I'm just going on real life here, and I always want their relationships to be based on equality.

No. I've got nothing against it, but I just want them to be people you know? I've got two ladies that are girlfriends and they're both feminine. I don't want to confine my LGBT sims into a social box.

Religion

Did you notice the absence of the word "Christmas" from The Sims team and do you have any thoughts on that?

I didn't notice, but they're probably appealing to people who don't celebrate christmas in that way.

No. Meditating is probably as close as they get to spirituality, and I'd rather it be for fitness purposes. I actually quite like that sims are, unless you do something about it, effectively athiest; the time needed for any regular religious practise would take away necessary gameplay time.

In previous series when they looked at the camera I used to wonder if they thought I'm a god, or they're in the matrix or something, but no I don't. As far as the sims go I think of myself as a player, not a "creator" in the religious sense. They're not living beings they're binary code.

I play with aging off as I get too attatched to them and do not want them to die, plus even with a really long lifespan I can't get done what I want to happen in their lives, and I need to be able to do that at my own leisurely pace. If death occurs it isn't amongst the sims I actively play and it's not deliberate.

I think they're all athiests, perhaps with a vary mild, occasional, passive form of relaxed spirituality.

Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I like colour difference in my game, I like colour and I'm keen to see how the genes progress through the generations.
    My sims interact with all the sims I want in my game, or who they need to like work mates and school mates.
    My sims are all straight.
    I am god in my game, unless I leave them to long while I make dinner ect, and come back and find an interesting something they have done on their own, when I forget to pause.
  • Options
    TheSims3crazy154TheSims3crazy154 Posts: 98 Member
    edited April 2016
    Motivated by a recent post on my storytelling thread here, I wonder how other Simmers approach race, sexuality, and religion in their gameplay.

I wonder if Simmers make conscious decisions about their Sims' society and personal preferences.
    I also wonder what Simmers do without really thinking about or articulating it.

I'll make my OP brief and answer the question personally later, because I am more interested in hearing from others.
    So a couple of questions (not a comprehensive list) I guess I'll throw out there to reflect on personally or publicly and hopefully encourage engaging, insightful dialogue. And you can tack a "Why?" or "How?" at the end of each question.

Ethnicity
    • How do you approach ethnicity in your game? I'm very paranoid about who populates my worlds so i usually create the townies myself and plop them in random houses around the neighborhoods -- i usually create white or african-american sims, though i do have some asians too! :)
    • Do you avoid playing, marrying, creating, or interacting with Sims of certain ethnicity? No. I try to "roleplay" each of my sims and once i know "x sim's" traits, i'll decide if their personalities match or not regardless of ethnicity/gender. I love me some diversity!
    • What personal/cultural ideals do you fell you impose on your Sims? None, i guess? I do believe in a divine entity, but i try to stay as far away from religion in my sims games as possible.
    • Do you create characters of a different ethnicity than your own and give them stereotypical personalities, hairstyles or clothing? Don't think so.
    • Do your Sims closely reflect your personal ethnicity and cultural values in gameplay? Not really, i have a legacy i've been playing with since GTW was released, both founders had european-like facial features and were blonde.
    • Do you incorporate socio-economics when creating Sims of various ethnicity? No.

Sexuality
    • How do you identify your Sims in regards to sexuality and gender? I like to think that all sims are pansexual. I mean, they can and will date anyone regardless of gender.
    • When and how do you choose your Sims sexual preference/identity? I explained it above: I try to "roleplay" each of my sims and once i know "x sim's" traits, i'll decide if their personalities match or not regardless of ethnicity/gender
    • Do you avoid creating LGBT/SGL Sims or do you incorporate them actively? No. Although as much as i would love having transgender sims it's not really possible with the current game mechanics.
    • Do most of your Sims or your main Sim reflect your sexual identity? I think so.
    • How do you feel about playing romantic actions with a Sim of a different gender or sexual preference than you? Normal.
    • If playing a couple of opposite genders, do you engage certain romantic interactions with one gender?
    • In same gender couples, do you place masculine and feminine roles on them? No.

Religion
    • Did you notice the absence of the word "Christmas" from The Sims team and do you have any thoughts on that? Yes, and i think it's a good thing. There are many other religions other than Christianism out there.
    • Do you incorporate religion/spirituality into your gameplay? No.
    • Do you view yourself as a God or eternal being among your Sims? Kinda.
    • How do you view/observe life and death in your gameplay? Like i do in real life - i think death's a part of life as much as life itself.
    • Do you consider your Sims to be of a certain religion? No.
  • Options
    EpicSmiley13EpicSmiley13 Posts: 3 New Member
    Old thread but interesting topic.

I've tended to make more African American sims recently, unless I have a specific character in mind (like in Newcrest I made every household with my original characters of various ethnicities)

For sexuality, I incorporate just about everything.

I am religious, so I've created some places of worship in the Sims 3 before, but it honestly depends on what family I'm playing and what their stories are. The lack of "Christmas" doesn't bother me, you see it in a lot of games and I think it's just so they don't put off people who are offended by it.

Basically, unless I'm actually making myself or my friends in-game, these things aren't considered from my point of view but rather my character's. One of the things of being a writer, I guess.
  • Options
    iamcherylfailsiamcherylfails Posts: 214 Member
    edited April 2016
    Just noticed how old this thread actually is after typing a massive answer, gonna keep it anyway because oh well.

I've just written a massive wall of text to explain myself rather than answering each question separately, I found it easier to answer in this format:
    I try to keep my as much diversity in my saves has possible.

With ethnicity and race, although I'm white, I try make a concious effort not to default to playing with white sims all the time because I'd rather the looks of my sims reflect real life a little more... Not everyone is white irl so why should they be in game? I don't think I include any stereotypical behaviour when I do this, I just try to keep them alive and complete their aspirations/work goals and give them families. When I play sims based on fictional characters things are a little different because I try to keep them as in character as possible and obviously I attach my preconceived ideas about that character to the sim. Ethnicity doesn't bother me when it comes to relationships either, my sims can marry whoever... Although a lot of the time I will make them a spouse in CAS rather than choose a townie spawned by the game.

As for sexuality... I don't really identify them as one sexuality or the other, they are all sort of pansexual anyway. I do tend to have an abundance of same gender couples in my games and have for years. As for passing on the genes, well I'll either go for a more "realism" approach and make a random opposite gender sim to act as a surrogate parent if it's a male couple or impregnate one of the sims if it's a female couple... Or I just use mods/cheaty methods to get them a genetic child. I do like to have my couples adopt too though, not just my same gender couples either. A lot of the time if I'm playing generationally and with aging on I'll usually have some sort of idea of who the sims are going to get with in the long run. Not everyone gets married either, some sims just stay in a relationship without getting engaged/married and some sims are single parents. Some sims marry the opposite gender and have kids and then get divorced and get with someone of the same gender who then becomes the kids step-parent. I have even tried to have aromantic sims before but the game usually gives them romantic connections with other sims when you're not playing them. I tried a poly household too once but it's a little difficult to implement because of a) how jealousy works and b) I could not figure out sleeping arrangements for them at all. As for playing sims close to my own identity, I sort of do but... not really (and I don't want to get into this about myself too much... or at all). Again, things are slightly different when I play sims based on fictional characters, especially those who have established their sexuality in canon (although I'm not always 100% rigid with this especially with characters that are considered heterosexual only because people tend to see that as the default) as I again already have set ideas about who they are.

I've never played a sim as transgender, I've thought about it but I was never 100% sure how to go about it... I would just set the sim as the gender I've decided they identify with in CAS and that's that I guess. If I used the game for storytelling purposes I may find a way of incorporating this... but I don't do that. I don't care if my sims act according to gender roles either, although I think I do make some families more 'traditional' in this sense, although not as much as of recent.

I tend to keep religion out of the game and so my sims aren't religious (again, fictional characters who are religious are the exception). I also personally don't see the issue with the sims team omitting the word Christmas... If people want to incorporate something reminiscent of Christmas (whether celebrating it for the religious aspects or not) they're still able to do that regardless of whether the items are labelled as "christmas" items or "holiday" items or whatever else. I don't know.

I've never really considered myself as like god over the sims (or thought about it too much) in the sims games except for the Sims Medieval where you were known as "The Watcher" and they had churches and stuff. As for life and death in my game play, sometimes I keep aging off so my favourite sims can't die... Sometimes I'll let sims die off just for drama. It all just depends on what I'm in the mood to do. I guess I see it more like a TV show or movie or something that I'm in control of rather than me being a god over their little world.
  • Options
    KymarKymar Posts: 29 Member
    OK, Here goes:
    ETHNICITY
    Being someone who is somewhat lacking in imagination, I tend to create my sims based on people I know IRL, therefore my sims are just as diverse as is my real life group of friends, so that some are white, some black, some Asian, some Middle Eastern. If my Sim meets their soulmate and falls in love, I will allow/encourage them to be together, regardless of race - I just don't see the point of ignoring my Sims' feelings and forcing them to be with someone who doesn't make them happy, just because they happen to share the same skin colour (I believe this is also applicable to real life).
    The personal/cultural ideals I impose on my sims is dependant on different factors. Again, because they are usually based on people I know IRL, I will tend to give them the personalities and traits that are appropriate to that person, however, it also depends on what kind of game I want to play, and what life goals I have in mind for the Sim in question.
    I would like to think that my Sims do, indeed, represent my own attitudes towards ethnicity, as they will have friendships/relationships with people based on common interests, goals, personalities and level of connection, and not trivial meaningless stuff like skin colour.

SEXUALITY
    I love that this has never really been an issue in the Sims. If two Sims connect, they can develop the relationship, and form a connection, regardless of gender, without all the labels we have IRL. TBH, I really hate the term 'LGBT community', because, to me, that suggests a group that is separate from everybody else, when, really, we are all human, and people shouldn't feel the need to label themselves. (Personally, if my son told me that he was in love with a man, I'd just be so ecstatic that he had found someone who makes him happy; beyond that, why does it matter what gender they are, any more than it matters what car they drive, or what colour hair they have?).
    I don't feel uncomfortable with my Sims finding love or romance with genders that don't match my own, as I just think that, if they find 'the one', then that's who they should be with.
    'Gender roles' don't really exist, as such, in the game. Whatever kind of couple I have, I will always base their roles on their personality, eg. neat Sims will do most of the cleaning, handy Sims will repair broken items, Family Sims will stay home with the kids, ambitious Sims will go out to work, etc, and I don't care if the couple is male /female, female/female, or male/male, it's just much easier to play to your Sims' strengths, rather than trying to force them into roles they're not comfortable with (this could go for real life, too)

RELIGION
    Yes, I have noticed the absence of Christmas, but, if they put include Christmas, then where will it end? Then they'd have to include Easter, Ramadan, Hanukkah, Eid, Diwali... I like that there's no Sim religion because, IRL, all it does is cause problems, with people judging, hating and discriminating against others, who choose to love God in a different type of building or on a different day. I'm not a religious person myself (don't get me wrong, I do have some VERY strong opinions about religion, but this is not the place...), so I don't really impose any kind of Ethics on my Sims, other than whatever they need to meet their goals.
    I have been known to joke about being God sometimes, eg, when I'm having trouble with a Sim not doing what I've asked, I've been known to say something like, "I am the lord your God, and you SHALL obey my every command".
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    Ethnicity
    My sims live in a whimsical world - each world has different rules. I have sims of all skin colors in my worlds, but I really don't think of them as certain races. The closest thing I have to race is witches, werewolves, fairies, and vamps. And, they all just hang out with each other, marry have kids, etc.

No. I'll admit I have more white sims than I do anything else, but I have all kinds of sims and they marry each other. I'm attracted to Mediterranean men with tan skin so I tend to have a lot of those in the game. I like redheaded women more than any other kind of woman so I tend to put redheads with Mediterranean guys. I also like being surprised when it comes to the kids, so, mixing skin colors and hair colors helps with that.

Regarding race? Nothing.

Nope.

I don't think of myself as having an ethnicity. I just do what I please.

Nope.

Sexuality
    I'll admit that I'm much more likely to give a female sim the nurturing trait or make them a family sim. I'm actually not very family oriented myself but I've noticed that most women are.

Female sims are much more likely to be bi-sexual in my game. To be honest I rarely ever play with gay males. It's not that I have problem with gay men, it's just as woman I can't really put myself into that role enough to enjoy it.

I don't know what those letters stand for.

If I knew my sexual id I'd tell you. I've been in m/f relationships all my life. I think other women are beautiful, and I'm probably attracted to them like that, but at the same time I don't want to be a relationship with another woman and most the girls I know think that it's weird. So, I suppose I get to live out some of my fantasies with my sims. What I'd like more than anything is a best girl friend that liked that sort of affection, we would enjoy each other, and we'd both have steady relationships with men. I'd love both of them, but I'd think of her as my friend that I would do anything for while I'd think of him as my spouse. I don't know if that makes sense. I'm sure it's sounds a bit creepy to many people, but it's what I'd love to have in my life.

It's something I might do. I'm not sure what preference is so... I have some female sims that I think of as being 100% gay or 100% straight. One day I might get around to playing a male/male couple.

In the beginning yes, but now I let men jump into women's arms, etc.

Yeah, typically if one of the sims is stay at home it it's the female.

Religion
    I think a game like the sims can't show partiality to one religion.

No, but I have had a convent in my game before even though I'm not Catholic.

Only as a joke. I think of myself more as the hand of fate, spirit guide, or their friend. Sometimes I think of myself as one of them.

I don't think I've ever let a sim die of old age.

No. They just live in a fantasy world. Different rules for different worlds.
  • Options
    FleurkweenFleurkween Posts: 235 Member
    edited April 2016
    This thread is **somewhat** against the forum rules.
    I won't report it though - I'm not a minimod

enjoying the interesting discussion. Hopefully no one starts a flamewar.
    \cat%20with%20tea_zpsejebanah.jpg
  • Options
    roman2886roman2886 Posts: 702 Member
    Fleurkween wrote: »
    This thread is **somewhat** against the forum rules.
    I won't report it though - I'm not a minimod

enjoying the interesting discussion. Hopefully no one starts a flamewar.

I don't see anything offensive about this thread it's very interesting it's one of a kind.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't know what to answer about this thread but I will tell you I did build a Cathedral the other day and put four monks in there and had to use those long bath robes as their medieval clothes. And sandals. Does that count in this thread? :p

Oh, and with that new hat that came in GT I decided a Padre should wear that living in OS, looked Spanish, and I put him in a black bath robe. I don't know if I'm like anyone else here or not...my inspirations for what I just told you came from TSM for the monks living in a church, and because I had just watched PBS about famous cathedrals across the world built in the thirteenth century or earlier, and because old rerun of SNL made me think of Roseannedanna and the Padre on there. Color me #Sense of Humor
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    KuffiKuffi Posts: 170 Member
    AthenaOnyx wrote: »
    Ethnicity
    My sims live in a whimsical world - each world has different rules. I have sims of all skin colors in my worlds, but I really don't think of them as certain races. The closest thing I have to race is witches, werewolves, fairies, and vamps. And, they all just hang out with each other, marry have kids, etc.

No. I'll admit I have more white sims than I do anything else, but I have all kinds of sims and they marry each other. I'm attracted to Mediterranean men with tan skin so I tend to have a lot of those in the game. I like redheaded women more than any other kind of woman so I tend to put redheads with Mediterranean guys. I also like being surprised when it comes to the kids, so, mixing skin colors and hair colors helps with that.

Regarding race? Nothing.

Nope.

I don't think of myself as having an ethnicity. I just do what I please.

Nope.

Sexuality
    I'll admit that I'm much more likely to give a female sim the nurturing trait or make them a family sim. I'm actually not very family oriented myself but I've noticed that most women are.

Female sims are much more likely to be bi-sexual in my game. To be honest I rarely ever play with gay males. It's not that I have problem with gay men, it's just as woman I can't really put myself into that role enough to enjoy it.

I don't know what those letters stand for.

If I knew my sexual id I'd tell you. I've been in m/f relationships all my life. I think other women are beautiful, and I'm probably attracted to them like that, but at the same time I don't want to be a relationship with another woman and most the girls I know think that it's weird. So, I suppose I get to live out some of my fantasies with my sims. What I'd like more than anything is a best girl friend that liked that sort of affection, we would enjoy each other, and we'd both have steady relationships with men. I'd love both of them, but I'd think of her as my friend that I would do anything for while I'd think of him as my spouse. I don't know if that makes sense. I'm sure it's sounds a bit creepy to many people, but it's what I'd love to have in my life.

It's something I might do. I'm not sure what preference is so... I have some female sims that I think of as being 100% gay or 100% straight. One day I might get around to playing a male/male couple.

In the beginning yes, but now I let men jump into women's arms, etc.

Yeah, typically if one of the sims is stay at home it it's the female.

Religion
    I think a game like the sims can't show partiality to one religion.

No, but I have had a convent in my game before even though I'm not Catholic.

Only as a joke. I think of myself more as the hand of fate, spirit guide, or their friend. Sometimes I think of myself as one of them.

I don't think I've ever let a sim die of old age.

No. They just live in a fantasy world. Different rules for different worlds.

I'm a non Catholic and went to a Cathlioc. Very interesting....some things were just a bit different to me. But we have some things in common
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I play Sims 3 I don't like Sims 4 and I play white Sims as far a sex goes everyone is straight religion does not come into play because there is none in the game.
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    @kuffi, I probably should have explained that the reason I had a convent was because I occasionally play medieval style. But, I have to admit that I find Catholicism more interesting than Protestantism even though I was raised Protestant. I like studying hierarchies, I'm a Masters student in history, and Catholicism has a definite hierarchy.
  • Options
    KuffiKuffi Posts: 170 Member
    AthenaOnyx wrote: »
    @kuffi, I probably should have explained that the reason I had a convent was because I occasionally play medieval style. But, I have to admit that I find Catholicism more interesting than Protestantism even though I was raised Protestant. I like studying hierarchies, I'm a Masters student in history, and Catholicism has a definite hierarchy.

Oh your not Catholic? That's makes sense. I'd rather stick to my own religion. Catholicism can be weird.
  • Options
    moony21moony21 Posts: 59 Member
    Traditionally, I've played mainly straight white sims. In the past few years (especially since coming out to myself and others) I've incorporated more LGBTQ+ sims into my gameplay. To be honest, most of my sims are gay now lol. I also enjoy interracial relationships and mixed-race kids and moving in families from different cultural and ethnic backgrounds. Lumialoversims has a great hijab CC for Muslim sims :smiley:
  • Options
    SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    Ethnicity
    • How do you approach ethnicity in your game? (Irrelevant, except when it's a unique case.)
    • Do you avoid playing, marrying, creating, or interacting with Sims of certain ethnicity? (No, just like in real life you got to know everyone)
    • What personal/cultural ideals do you fell you impose on your Sims? (I don't feel like I impose any ideals; it just goes with their story, not mine)
    • Do you create characters of a different ethnicity than your own and give them stereotypical personalities, hairstyles or clothing? (Only Sikhs would have any different clothing then the average sim, I am Sikh though, so don't know if that counts since they wear turbans, but personality is not based on religion)
    • Do your Sims closely reflect your personal ethnicity and cultural values in gameplay? (A lot actually, but they embody values not identity that I would have)
    • Do you incorporate socio-economics when creating Sims of various ethnicity? (Somewhat, naturally I make the lightest skinned people the richest and the poorest the darkest, but that is because of impregnating the town challenges of the poor taking over the rich; otherwise not relevant)

Sexuality
    • How do you identify your Sims in regards to sexuality and gender? (95% of my sims are straight)
    • When and how do you choose your Sims sexual preference/identity? (Honestly depends on the clothes I give them, if they wear clothes that would resemble attractiveness, I turn them Lesbian, if they are revealing, they are straight, if they are anything in-between they are straight, no gay men)
    • Do you avoid creating LGBT/SGL Sims or do you incorporate them actively? (Don't really make it an important part, but only 5% haven't been straight)
    • Do most of your Sims or your main Sim reflect your sexual identity? (Yes and no, the acts they do would never make me want to do in real life)
    • How do you feel about playing romantic actions with a Sim of a different gender or sexual preference than you? (When playing as a lesbian, I just let them go around, making the romantic story even stronger than straight couples, I'm a straight man by the way)
    • If playing a couple of opposite genders, do you engage certain romantic interactions with one gender? (They both get involved in romantic interactions)
    • In same gender couples, do you place masculine and feminine roles on them? (In the rare time, a Lesbian couple is made, I make the dominant one masculine and the submissive one feminine)

Religion
    • Did you notice the absence of the word "Christmas" from The Sims team and do you have any thoughts on that? (I wouldn't be offended if they had Christmas in the game or not, if they decided to add it, I'd probably not change my view on the product itself)
    • Do you incorporate religion/spirituality into your gameplay? (Very much so, if you read my Fateh-Ajit Singh story, spiritual/religious concepts are basically implanted to the point that it's not even capable to go in the story without it by this point)
    • Do you view yourself as a God or eternal being among your Sims? (No, but that's only because of my real-life religious beliefs)
    • How do you view/observe life and death in your gameplay? (That depends, how would you view this chapter, where 2 sims die: http://sims4stories4.weebly.com/fateh-ajit-story/third-chapter-birth-of-fateh-ajit-singh)
    • Do you consider your Sims to be of a certain religion? (Other than Sikh, everyone else is a generic worshiper of a generic God).
    I'll answer all these questions in parentheses,
  • Options
    IY20052IY20052 Posts: 324 Member
    I play Sims of all races <3 most all my marriages are mixed race because I love how the kids turn out.

And being a lesbian myself I find myself playing a lot of LGBT couples, as well as heteros.
  • Options
    PoKiTauru5PoKiTauru5 Posts: 105 Member
    edited March 2017
    Race:
    Honestly, all my sims are biracial at this point, lol. I got Sims of varying skin tones, eyes and facial features. One sim I got was born blonde and with tanned skin and gray eyes. He's cute lol.
    But sometimes the game creates some really messed up faces that I have to change. Borderline aliens.

Sexuality:
    The reason I don't play LGBT+ Sims is because the legacy and continuation of genetics is something I love in this game. Adopting just doesn't feel the same in this game. In fact adopting often gave me kids with the Mean trait...Not fun.

Religion:
    Being part Jewish and part Christian, my sims celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah. But that's the farthest I'm willing to go with religion.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    My play style can be defined in one word : randomizing.
    From this, my sims are plenty of ethnicities but not always clearly defined, everything is mixed ! I was raised in a mixed race family so it's totally natural to me to do the same. And I like adding various life states to it so there's even more diversity and fun to the story. Same with money, who is rich and who isn't is randomized. Sometimes it matches a stereotype, sometimes it doesn't, but when it's randomized it's quite normal. In the end it's just a game, not actual people so it doesn't matter.
    Most of my sims are straight, probably because I am so I naturally tend to make them straight too. I've added several bi sims among my townies lately though, and there is a girl who is very close to her best friend who doesn't seem to find interest in anyone else so I guess she'll be happiest with her female friend in the future.
    I don't let my sims celebrate christmas or other holidays just because of time management. They sometimes have cultural backgrounds traditionally attached to religions, but don't really have a RL religion. I'm all for diversity in my game when it comes to that too but I don't think it makes sense in the world of sims. The watcher is God and it can be fun to add elements about it in stories. Like, insane sims are the only ones who know the truth about the watcher, who can see their plumbob and other sims don't understand it.

In general, I don't follow rules, sims can do and be everything. The only rule I follow is that I don't condemn my sims to lifelong suffering, outside of a few tragic events that they can solve, because I've had a pretty hard life myself and even though sims are just pixels, I'd feel sad seeing them suffering. I like making them "happy" for most of their life, with occasional drama for adding spice to the story. The worst that ever happened with my sims is a story with a zombie apocalypse but even that unexpectedly ends well LOL.
  • Options
    Gunchap RedGunchap Red Posts: 5 New Member
    1: Many of the Sims I play technically aren't even human.
    2: Not at all, interracial breeding for all!
    3: I have made my own fictional lore of the world, i'll explain more later. (Read 15)
    4: Not at all, you don't see me making any racist white characters. (No offense to white people, you guys have it rough nowadays.)
    5: Read 3 again.
    6: I have no idea how you'd implement that, so no.
    7: My Sims' sexuality differentiates frequently. Also, NO TUMBLR GENDERS! There are only 2.
    8: When they start dating.
    9: What's SGL? But I definitely don't avoid LGBT characters, in fact I think I might pefer playing as lesbian females. And I can't play as transgeders due to a bug. (I guess that somehow makes TS4 transphobic.)
    10: If it's a male, it usually does. If it's a female, usually not. (Read 9 again)
    11: No different about playing with sims of the same gender and preferences as I.
    12: I don't exactly understand the question. If you mean by if a relationship with a sim of the opposite gender doesn't turn out well if I would have them be romantic with the same gender, then if my sim is Bi, yes.
    13: It's split evenly.
    14: They have a whole Christmas DLC. True it's referred to as the Holiday Pack and it has Hanukah decorations, but it's obvious what holiday it's talking about.
    15:I do, to explain the existence of certain races of Sims. I made my own fictional religion with a fictional group of gods called "Divinisualism" (name W.I.P.), named after the main deity, Divinity.
    16: No, just as the thought process of them.
    17: I view it the same as Christianity and other religions view it. But I also have lore based explanations for undead.
    18: Read 15 again.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    This is such a Big NECRO, NECRO
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top