Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ethnicity, Sexuality, Religion, and maybe a Few Other Things

Comments

• halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited March 2016
    I incorporate all the three in my games. The Sims is not about me, but about the stories, different personalities, different goals etc.

I would really love if we get religions in the game either real ones or simlish ones.
    I know not many simmers will like what I am gonna say but I am gonna say it anyways and put it in bold because it is the truth.
    The sims community and simmers are the most closed minded gamers I have ever seen. Fans of games like Civilizations and the likes clapped and cheered when religions were added to the game. People want more features, more realism. And I think having religions will make the sims even more unique in their own way. With each religion giving some kind of advantage to the sim like atheist, Christian, Muslim, 🐸🐸🐸🐸, Hindu etc. Just because I am hating religion or from a different religion that does not mean I don't want it in my game. Simmers seriously need to have an open mind about it if they wish the game to move forward.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Emmely_BettineEmmely_Bettine Posts: 102 Member
    edited March 2016
    I make mostly super pale sims, and the main reason is that I have most cc skins that are indeed pale. But I have played and "mixed" all kinds of races. Like someone said earlier, skin color/race is just cosmetic, really. Sometimes I like to give my sims african or asian facial features though, but it's all decided randomly. :p

I make about 70% straight sims, main reason is genetics. I like the children to look like their parents. A lot of my sims are bi too though. For some reason almost all my gay sims start out straight, and then when they grow into adults they start dating same sex sims. Like they had to date a little before they "found their true self" xD I don't know. I make a lot of lesbians mainly because I think it's a lot more fun to make female sims in CAS...

Religion? No. Haven't even thought about it to be honest. There's a lot of real life things that I'm happy doesn't exist in The Sims universe (war, terrorism, mental illness etc), and I guess religion would (in my opinion) be one of those things. I'm not against it at all, but it does bring a lot of negativity with it, as we can daily see in the news. So no, I would never introduce religion to my sims. :)
    "Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them." - Sherlock
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    Another thing I have to add is that gamers are accepting violence, sex and brutality in the games but they don't want religion! And when you ask them why they say because religion brings negativity!! So does that make violence, cursing, offensive dialogues a positive thing?

Either have them all or don't have them all. I really hate this double standards.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    Imma answer all the questions because i'm bored XD

Ethnicity
    How do you approach ethnicity in your game?
    I almost always choose a diffrent ethnicity when creating a founder. Not on purpose. Its just something i've always done. Sometimes i'll use reference photos to get an accurate facial structure.

Do you avoid playing, marrying, creating, or interacting with Sims of certain ethnicity?
    Never.

What personal/cultural ideals do you fell you impose on your Sims?
    None I can think of off the top of my head.

Do you create characters of a different ethnicity than your own and give them stereotypical personalities, hairstyles or clothing?
    Sometimes i'll try to keep it more realistic to life (the natural hair for an ethnicity) But other times i'll go with what I feel like!

Do your Sims closely reflect your personal ethnicity and cultural values in gameplay?
    Not particularly. Only when i'm playing my simself and family.

Do you incorporate socio-economics when creating Sims of various ethnicity?
    No

Sexuality
    How do you identify your Sims in regards to sexuality and gender?
    I go with my gut feeling if the sim is born from a family. If i am creating a sim i'll usally have that pop in to my head as i'm creating.

When and how do you choose your Sims sexual preference/identity?
    If i'm creating it will just come to me. When a sim is born I kinda look through the screen into there eyes and try to imagien who they would love if they where a real person. Sometimes this changes as they grow!

Do you avoid creating LGBT/SGL Sims or do you incorporate them actively?
    It depends what I feel like a the time. At some point in most of my familys the heir to the next generation will be gay and adopt. I wouldn't say I actively make LGBT sims but i don't avoid it by any means.

Do most of your Sims or your main Sim reflect your sexual identity?
    I consider myself pansexual (I've been in a relationship with both males and females as well as a transexual partner) So i'd say most of my sims do reflect that is some way.

How do you feel about playing romantic actions with a Sim of a different gender or sexual preference than you?
    Not an issue.

If playing a couple of opposite genders, do you engage certain romantic interactions with one gender?
    Not that ive notices.

In same gender couples, do you place masculine and feminine roles on them?
    If you mean in the sense of 'one does the cooking one does the fixing' yes in a way. I don't actively make one look more butch and feminine to define these roles but sometimes it will fall that way. Most of my lesbian couples involve two very feminine lesbians, but i think that is down to my own personal preferences irl.

Religion
    Did you notice the absence of the word "Christmas" from The Sims team and do you have any thoughts on that?
    Yes. Whilst I do think its good because it dosn't explicitly exclude other religions I do miss santa from previous games! I'm not a religious person but for me christmas is a family time of year rather than a religious holiday.

Do you incorporate religion/spirituality into your gameplay?
    Every now and then i'll include a few bits of religious based things in my gameplay.

Do you view yourself as a God or eternal being among your Sims?
    I used to more than I do now. Since 4 got released i'm more emotionally attached to my sims rather than just controlling them! (its there little sad faces tbh with you)

How do you view/observe life and death in your gameplay?
    I got emotional the first time my founder drowned. He never lived to see his first grandchild born!. Birth isn't such a huge deal for me. Death is big. I always keep my sims grave stones and have a home cemetery where i put trees and flowers.

Do you consider your Sims to be of a certain religion?
    I believe sims are default 'agnostic'. This is because essentially you are a kind of god influencing there life so i guess they must believe in something even though they don't worship you in any way.
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • orangeplumboborangeplumbob Posts: 1,102 Member
    Ethnicity
    I mainly create white or hispanic sims. I've never tried creating an asian sim only because Sims 3 made it impossible, and I feel like Sims 4 would just make them look anime.

Do you avoid playing, marrying, creating, or interacting with Sims of certain ethnicity?
    I've had sims marry black sims in my legacy in Sims 3 and my fourth gen heir was black, and he was my favorite in that family. He ended up having two sets of triplets, half of them were black and the other half were white, which shows you how Sims 3 genetics worked.

Sexuality
    How do you identify your Sims in regards to sexuality and gender? Depends on the Sim, I let them tell me their story.

When and how do you choose your Sims sexual preference/identity? I usually see where the story takes me, sometimes it's right when they are born and others when they are older. My Sim, Simon, I knew he was gay when he was a toddler in Sims 3. His aunt though, I figured out her sexuality when she was almost an adult. My sim, Jamie, I planned out before he was born.

Do you avoid creating LGBT/SGL Sims or do you incorporate them actively? My avatar I created and he is totally gay. I <3 him.

Do most of your Sims or your main Sim reflect your sexual identity? Nope. I'm straight, but I love my gay sims.

How do you feel about playing romantic actions with a Sim of a different gender or sexual preference than you? <3<3 I love it! I love seeing any and all my sims fall in love, straight or gay, makes me happy!!! (Except for my Sims 3 Sim David. That...that was a nightmare. Poor guy.

If playing a couple of opposite genders, do you engage certain romantic interactions with one gender? Depends on the story, actually. I usually play out certain stories I've written, so it is based on the pre-planned story.

In same gender couples, do you place masculine and feminine roles on them? Not always, depends on the sim. Simon was very effeminate when he was a teen, but became very masculine as an adult. Jamie Rain is neither, in my opinion. He's just a regular dude with his own issues.

Religion
    Do you incorporate religion/spirituality into your gameplay? A little. It depends on the story. I had a story where a baby was kidnapped, and the father got down on his knees and prayed for her return, and that his father would save the day.

Do you view yourself as a God or eternal being among your Sims? I want to say no, but then again... I killed off half my sims in not so nice ways. HAHAHAHAHA. David died by snake bite in Egypt, Travis was assassinated and so was his wife, Hana died of cancer, Greg died of Congenital Heart Disease, Jack the Jerk was murdered by the entire Tragedy Family. There there's Jamie who became paralyzed from the waist down after being hit and ran off the road...so do I view myself as a Sim God? I'll let you decide that. LoL (All Sims 3 sims, FYI). This is not counting all the sims that died of old age.

How do you view/observe life and death in your gameplay? See above. I do not have ghosts with the Rains, but there are ghosts in the Tragedy Family.

Do you consider your Sims to be of a certain religion? Nope, not really. I've used both "God" and "Watcher" in my stories, but as an atheist myself, I don't see my sims of any faith or religion.
  • plumbob3458plumbob3458 Posts: 60 Member
    I create a lot of different types of people, it makes things more interesting not having sims that look the same all the time.
    And with the sexuality thing I don't plan if my sims are going to be straight or gay or whatever I just go into the game and if I see my sim with someone and I think they would be a good couple then I put them together.
    I have thought of having religious families in my game so I might try that.
    In same gender couples I usually make the woman stop working if she has a child to be a stay at home mother but that's mostly because once both parents were at work and my baby got taken away because they didn't feed it before they went to work. Oops.
  • meepweepmeepweep Posts: 309 Member
    Ethnicity: I play all races of sims and I pretty much always play interracial couples.

Sexuality: If I play generations, I tend to make the first sim straight but after that I make sims any sexuality. I pretty much hook them up with anyone they click with. (One thing I don't like in the Sims is that they never include pre-made same sex couples. I hope they do in the future.)

Religion: Regarding not using the word Christmas for the free holiday pack, I'm glad they didn't. They included objects from different religions which I find is a neat way to include all simmers. As for personal play I don't particularly use religion in any way shape or form, and I don't think of myself as a God over my sims. It's just a game to me.

I saw someone post about there not being let's players who make anything other than white sims, and I have to recommend AndrewArcade on youtube. He makes sims of all races and sexualities.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited March 2016
    @meepweep - Wasn't there a lesbian couple in Roaring Heights? I don't know if that's the only one though.

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Shear_family
  • MalisityMalisity Posts: 145 Member
    Ethnicity

All my sims have a random generated base which I work out from but keep the skin-, hair and eyecolor and try to not change the face to much. This gives more diversity in my game which is fun, I really enjoy this cartoony style as it gives me more freedom.

Not at all my sim marry all the colors of the rainbow including the aliens.

What personal/cultural ideals do you fell you impose on your Sims?
    Perhaps just western culture I guess but I like to think of sims as not human but another species so they have their own culture.

Do you create characters of a different ethnicity than your own and give them stereotypical personalities, hairstyles or clothing?
    I don't think so, I let the game give me random clothes which I style out from to give everyone their own style. I think only the hairstyles that look like natural ethnic hair are usually limited to my darker skinned sims or at least sims with black hair as I find EA didn't do the greatest job at the texture on some of them example the great Mickey Mouse ears I love <3 but wish the texture was bit better and that it had some decoration like ribbons or scrunchies with decorated balls in them.

Do your Sims closely reflect your personal ethnicity and cultural values in gameplay?
    Ethnicity is all random, culture values I guess sort of I focus a lot on family, happiness and fun.

Do you incorporate socio-economics when creating Sims of various ethnicity?
    No, though being not American so there are no such things in my country based on ethnicity. But no, my sim all have it equally 🐸🐸🐸🐸 till they work their way up.

Sexuality

I play a legacy challenge in rotational play. To minimize the chance of family growing into more homes there is always a priority to marry within the family tree. That means you marry whatever gender is free.

When they have been matched up. Gay sim are no different from straight sim in my game except they have to adopt to have a kid.

Nether, they just happen based on the rules I play after.

Yeah, being that I am pan and they are all pan too. Even marry the aliens.

How do you feel about playing romantic actions with a Sim of a different gender or sexual preference than you?
    I don't run into it that much as I am a pan person in a straight relationship with a bisexual person. On the gender part, nah doesn't bother me at all.

If playing a couple of opposite genders, do you engage certain romantic interactions with one gender?
    No, both gender just do their thing. I have both male and female propose and initiate all romance options. The girls are just as good at dip kissing their husbands as they are at dip kissing the gals.

No, I see no need to.

Religion

Did you notice the absence of the word "Christmas" from The Sims team and do you have any thoughts on that?
    I do and prefer it. I generally prefer madeup holidays in games. Sims 3 had Spooky day, Snowflake day, Leisure day and Love day. They are all based on real holidays but I feel they are a happy middle ground. I do hope with seasons we do get those 4 lovely holidays back as I miss Spooky Day terribly.

I have built a cathedral where marriages are held and there is a cemetery for the legacy sim who have passed away. Those are the traditions. My sim follow the same religion from The Sims Medieval, they worship the Watcher though I don't make them actively do anything to show it.

Yes, I am their god, I am the Watcher.

How do you view/observe life and death in your gameplay?
    Life should be lived to the fullest with great moments, great happiness and fulfilling their goals I have set for them. Else they get suck with youth potions.
    Death is in my mind not a bad thing. It means they have finished their tasks and now get to rest. I try to make them always die from old age and make special note to give them a really good time after the message of final days has popped up.

Do you consider your Sims to be of a certain religion?
    Yes, they worship the Watcher
  • LightfieldLightfield Posts: 12,450 Member
    edited March 2016
    Ethnicity
    All in all I don't give much thought to races, even though I want my towns to be diverse. More often than not it happens "naturally" - I play with generations and most of the children end up being of "mixed races" in one way or another.

Absolutely not.

No, I just roll with "this feels right for this certain sim".

Nah.

Sexuality
    Ah, that depends on the sim.

When I create the sim I'll play with (I make one and keep on playing with their children and grandchildren and so on) I already know beforehand. When it comes to those born in the game I let time tell and go by some kind of gut feeling.

I realized that I play most but certainly not all of my sims as bi. I have a few that I see as gay, straight or ase.xual.

Probably subconsciously.

I don't feel anything about it.

I do not, I haven't even thought of it as... something to think about.

No.

Religion
    I didn't think of it at all.

Nah, but I let some sims celebrate hanukkah and some sims celebrate easter, but that's more a "we do it by default since it's tradition, not that we're religious" kind of way.

I'm probably a combination of a less moral, more annoying and more dominant Jiminy Cricket, the sim themself at that very moment and an observer.

Post edited by Lightfield on
    Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it.
  • Emmely_BettineEmmely_Bettine Posts: 102 Member
    edited March 2016
    Another thing I have to add is that gamers are accepting violence, sex and brutality in the games but they don't want religion! And when you ask them why they say because religion brings negativity!! So does that make violence, cursing, offensive dialogues a positive thing?

Either have them all or don't have them all. I really hate this double standards.

I think religion is unnecessary in happy, playful and creative games like The Sims, but in strategy games like Age of Empires or Civilization I think it has an important role. To me it has to play a necessary role for me to like it.. In GTA I suppose sex and violence is important to shape the environment. In strategy games religion is important because it's often a factor in war.

EDIT: I don't intend to discuss this really, just stating my opinion! :)
    "Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them." - Sherlock
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    edited March 2016
    Ethnic

I have many Black,White and one cute Female Asian in my game.

I don't have any blue,green,red or purple skinned sims nor do I have aliens yet but I'm thinking of creating a cute green female alien for one of my white male sims.

I have a lot of interaciel couples and married sims.

I have

2 white males married to black females and one white female dating a black male. I ve also got a white male married to a white female.

Do I view myself as God?

No because most of my sims worship the true and living God when I don't play them.
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    I incorporate all the three in my games. The Sims is not about me, but about the stories, different personalities, different goals etc.

I would really love if we get religions in the game either real ones or simlish ones.
    I know not many simmers will like what I am gonna say but I am gonna say it anyways and put it in bold because it is the truth.
    The sims community and simmers are the most closed minded gamers I have ever seen. Fans of games like Civilizations and the likes clapped and cheered when religions were added to the game. People want more features, more realism. And I think having religions will make the sims even more unique in their own way. With each religion giving some kind of advantage to the sim like atheist, Christian, Muslim, 🐸🐸🐸🐸, Hindu etc.

As someone who plays Civ V almost every other day, I really think the religion system fits the game and the setting. But when it comes to the Sims, I don't really think it's a line that should be crossed. With many controversial things out there and religion at the top, you're also sorta afraid to go there. I feel that religion has such a divide in the real world, would we really want that in the sims.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    i do not play none of the above since it do not fit my game style
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • meepweepmeepweep Posts: 309 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    @meepweep - Wasn't there a lesbian couple in Roaring Heights? I don't know if that's the only one though.

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Shear_family

I didn't know that! Thank you for the information :) I hope they'll make one for ts4 as well.
  • IndigoXX2IndigoXX2 Posts: 12 New Member
    > @fullspiral said:
    > Interesting set of questions......
    >
    > As to ethnicity, I create all kinds and have no problem with hooking them up in any relationship, but I pretty much play them all the same way. Meaning that I don't stereotype them, I guess.
    >
    > As to sexuality, I pretty much play the game heterosexually. It's very rare, (and I don't know if I've ever even had a gay couple), for me to change that up.
    >
    > As to religion, I am not religious( although I consider myself spiritual) , so neither are my sims, and I don't think I'd want to have that in the game.

I co-sign everything said here
  • Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Trying to summarize this...

I create sims of many different races

A mixture of gay, straight, and bi

I'm not religious so I don't care if my sims are or not
  • MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    Trying to summarize this...

I create sims of many different races

A mixture of gay, straight, and bi

I'm not religious so I don't care if my sims are or not

This.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,499 Member
    I do play my values. In Sims3 I had built a beautiful church wherein my Sims would wed. (Evalen's post has inspired me to do the same in Sims4, which I may just do today, in fact.) Yes, they are all straight, but I'm very, very Traditional (notice the capped T, that was not an accident) in my values. I try very hard to never EVER mistreat my Sims. They are all well-fed and happy. I try to help them gain a variety of skills, help them to do well in school and get to the top of their careers, if possible. For the most part my Sims don't woohoo prior to, or outside of, marriage, with very few exceptions. I also generally don't have them divorce. I've played the Sims since 2005 and I can count on one hand the number of divorces — and with only one exception, they were quite necessary. (The one exception was in Sims2 when I saw the father getting a bit cozy with the live in Nanny, and decided to see what would happen should a divorce occur. Mistake. The five children were constantly in tears. I ended up deleting that family.)

As to the Ethnicity, I don't run around and change the Townies/NPCs, they are who and what they are, just as in RL. In my Legacy, my Sims marry whomever they are attracted to/fall in love with, no matter what their ethnicity. In only one of my families have I ever created redheads, like myself. It took me decades to adjust to the fact I wasn't blue-eyed and blonde and to make peace with the red hair, of which my older brother was more than happy to give me grief over, "I'd rather be dead than red in the head", as he would say more often than I cared for. Rest his soul.

But, yeah, I play my game MY way, as we all should play it. Dancing to my own tune, you do the same (to your own tune) and just enjoy. That's another facet that makes this game so great. It's sandbox without rigid lines we must stay between. :D
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    This is an interesting thread to read, because I've never given these things much thought. To me, The Sims is sort of an ideal world without racism, homophobia or other kinds of prejudice, or religious controversy. When I play the game, I almost forget about these things, which is one of the reasons I like it so much.

For example, I let my sims fall in love based on how well they get along with someone and if I think they look cute together, I don't decide a certain sexual identity for them. I choose a career for my sims based on their traits and aspirations, not things like gender or skin color.

The Sims 4 is better than ever on equality. I'm very happy that getting pregnant no longer ruins female sims' careers, and that NPCs like repair service and maid are now both genders. And I definitely think making the game religion free has been a good decision. So I don't wish to incorporate the cultural problems of the real world in my game.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    The Sims is sort of an ideal world without racism, homophobia or other kinds of prejudice, or religious controversy.
    This so much.
    In regards to @halimali1980 's post I'm always amazed by how many simmers are so close minded and strict on sexuality and ethnicity.
    I even met a girl once that told me she'd only play with asian looking Sims because all other races don't look pretty to her. I told her that if there was a loving kind of racism then she found it.
    To answer OP's question, I play with everything the game has to offer. That includes all kinds of ethnicities ( even though I always liked the thought of just being of the "Sim" race ), sexualities and family constellations. ( i.e. this one household I have consists of 3 lovers, they are all in a relationship with another, it's pretty fun :D )
    As far as religion goes, I wouldn't mind having it in the game. I'd just try to get away from religious cults as these tend to do more harm then good compared to actual religions.
    But we play how we want and I have gay couples in my game I think they are the funnest family to play because they are so much more down to earth. It would be cool if we had like religions like we had in Sims Medieval where they were fake and based on a fake religion if you add real religions in there a lot of people would not be happy.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
    edited March 2016
    I put sims of all races in my game. Black, White, Latino, Asians and even bi-racial sims. I put the Keaton's, Dreamer's, Pauline Wan, Burb family all back in my game for diversity and a few other families. In fact, Darren Dreamer just married Cassandra Goth in my game. While Alexander Goth just had a baby with Olivia Lewis.

Religion doesn't really matter to me in the game. My sims have parties for Halloween, Christmas and cook turkey's.

I do not put LBGT in my game. I am pro-same sex marriage, but I do not have it in the game. I don't mind it though.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    But we play how we want
    I never said anything against that. I just said I was amazed by how many only play Sims this one certain way, as I considered the community to be more open minded when I first realized what kind of game this was.
    I think I was just adding on what you said sorry just a bad habit to quote people. :mrgreen:

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top