Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Testing MOO - Updated 10/21/16

Comments

• Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    Yeah, I was going to post that many of my disapearing objects had nothing to do with walls. It seems mostly to do with how much I manipulated objects in moo (moo'd or not). The more I moved/rotated/changed color etc the more likely it was that the item or attached moo item would disapear. I had a bed that was NOT MOO'D but disapeared after i changed the color several times. I think when you're in moo your ok as long as you don't move or change something after it's placed. I got to the point where I can pretty much guess which items or @ least area things would disapear. Like BryonyRae said I think keeping an eyee out for the yellow highlighted items will help.
    So sad because building already seems so boring without it.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    My problem with the shrubs:

tumblr_ngwoqshMRT1s873l7o1_250.jpg
    That's what I wanted it to look like, but when I replace it somewhere else, it becomes this:

tumblr_ngwoqshMRT1s873l7o2_250.jpg

I've tried turning MOO on/off before saving and turning it on/off before placing, redoing the placement of shrubs. They refuse to stick :( Any suggestions I should try out before I set fire to the shrubs out of frustration? :P
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery
  • Options
    Oh, I used the number pad when I had the "0"/"9" issue so that's probably the problem there.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    @ cerrydd, try deleting all the shrubs/windows/shelves then replacing everything without repositioning or coloring etc once each items are placed. Pain in the plum but seems to work the best for me. Maybe some others can test this but I'm pretty sure that if a moo'd item is changed after placement, that item or the one it's moo'd to will most likely disapear. But any object changed while in moo can disapear. I've seem to have luck with the deleting and replacing the items.

Good luck...Hope that's not too confusing.
    Post edited by N0NoTToN0N on
  • Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    I am trying like crazy to test out your suppositions, @treece01, and also to recreate your problem with the floating shrubs, @Cerrydd, but no luck so far. The game is behaving like a model citizen tonight! I will keep trying. This is my setup. :p I have some objects that I placed and then didn't touch and then some that I placed then moved, recolored, etc.

mootesting_zps13a2906e.jpg

Now, I was again making it a point to save with MOO on but load with it off. How have you guys been saving? In build mode or live mode? With MOO on or off?
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    I've been in Build mode. I think I have been saving mostly with MOO off which seems to be acting like I said. I get all into creative mode though and sometimes forget whether I have MOO on or Off. Sorry...trying to pay attention but I get side tracked. (I should do a test lot instead of experimenting on a build) Maybe it's happening when I use MOO, turn it off, then save and leave??? The items that get messed up the most are decorations. I don't seem to have as much of a problem unless I have 3 or more objects touching or occupying the same tile space.
    ARGH!
  • Options
    Yes, @treece01, I know it's tough to keep track when you get going on something, but try to make an effort to save with MOO on next time you're working and see if that makes any difference. I think that a test lot is helpful when you're trying to recreate an issue or have a theory of that you want to test, but you're going to be spending the bulk of your time on the build you really care about, so that's when the issues will likely pop up.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    Well, I got my problems too with MOO.

*OK, I'm building a Victorian lot. With MOO, you can also place lights in fence post.
    MOO_Problem_1.png
    However, when you place a lot whether MOO turned on or off (even from my library), The lights were placed to ground as you see any cutouts, ugh!
    MOO_Problem_2.png

*Another one is you can also stack columns with MOO. However, it looks strange if you wanna stack with different wall heights. :\
    MOO_Problem_3.png
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • Options
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    I am trying like crazy to test out your suppositions, @treece01, and also to recreate your problem with the floating shrubs, @Cerrydd, but no luck so far. The game is behaving like a model citizen tonight! I will keep trying. This is my setup. :p I have some objects that I placed and then didn't touch and then some that I placed then moved, recolored, etc.

mootesting_zps13a2906e.jpg

Now, I was again making it a point to save with MOO on but load with it off. How have you guys been saving? In build mode or live mode? With MOO on or off?

I've really tried everything, including treece01's suggestions but my game is a rebel and refuses to obey my laws, LOL. I saved in build mode and tried both saving/loading with and without MOO on and off. I think this house is simply cursed, because now I can't even delete the 2 bushes XD The rest of the MOO'd stuff inside (there's not many of them) does stick at least. Oh well, better luck next time.
  • Options
    sherrylynn8779sherrylynn8779 Posts: 2,102 Member
    @BryonyRae I was still adding walls, changing walls in other parts of the house, so that is probably my issue. Since finishing the house and adding a family, the items have stuck where they are supposed to be. Just was annoying having to continually replace the items! LOL! Tonight, I have been working on a new build, a bigger build. I am hoping the next time I go into build (probably after Christmas, as my plate is increasing fullness...love baking) the columns I moo'd in the kitchen will still be there. lol. I love moo, even with all it's quirks that we have right now, I have missed it terribly! :smiley:
    My Twitter:: My Facebook:: Gallery Name: sherry_lynn1979
  • Options
    Okay, @RyeCris16 and @Cerrydd, while I couldn't duplicate your problems just saving and loading my lot, when placing it from the Library, I could duplicate them. Several of the bushes/trees (but not all of them) will not retain their height, none of the lights will retain their height (I tried several different ones), and other height adjusted objects were all reset. My lot wound up looking like this:

heightprobs_zps3821aae3.jpg

I created another lot from scratch just to see if there would be any difference in behavior, and there wasn't. I placed from Build Mode, and it didn't matter if MOO was on or off; those height adjusted items were reset every time. I have published this lot to the Gallery, as I think we need to confirm what happens when someone actually downloads and places it from there. If you get a chance, please try it. Also, if @SimGuruBChic or @SimGuruHouts wants a test case to look at this behavior, they're welcome to pick it up. It's called "In the Mood Test Lot."

It should look like this when placed:
    shouldbe_zpsc69d57c2.jpg

But it actually winds up looking like this:
    shouldnotbe_zps15c36ff7.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2014
    @BryonyRae I was still adding walls, changing walls in other parts of the house, so that is probably my issue. Since finishing the house and adding a family, the items have stuck where they are supposed to be. Just was annoying having to continually replace the items! LOL! Tonight, I have been working on a new build, a bigger build. I am hoping the next time I go into build (probably after Christmas, as my plate is increasing fullness...love baking) the columns I moo'd in the kitchen will still be there. lol. I love moo, even with all it's quirks that we have right now, I have missed it terribly! :smiley:

Glad you worked it out, @sherrylynn8779. I would like to say I love MOO too, but with the latest testing, I'm a bit disheartened. The height adjustment is a big part of the benefit for me, and if it's not going to work, I'm going to have to hold off on my latest build until it does or give up what I was trying to do.

To everyone, before you get too deep into a build, it's probably a wise idea to save it to your Library and then try placing it. The game seems to have an easier time loading a save than it does placing a lot, and you may lose stuff that you thought was okay. I'm about to do that with my current build, and I'm terrified. :o

Edit: Interestingly enough, my current build placed fine when placed from the Library with MOO on or off. I'm heaving a sigh of relief, but at the same time, I just don't get it. I have height adjusted objects on the lot, and they stayed adjusted, so why won't they on the test lot? Granted, I didn't height adjust plants or outdoor lights, but I did height adjust a coffee table, and on my test lot, it wouldn't stay height adjusted.

• Options
    sherrylynn8779sherrylynn8779 Posts: 2,102 Member
    I am too, I have made a decision to not share any extensive Moo work until after MOO is fleshed out better in game. I would hate to go through a ton of trouble just to have someone not have a usable lot. I will use them in my games, save them, but not share. Simple Moo, I will still share (though once I get the MOO bug, it is hard for me to not use it... on practically everything! lol)
    My Twitter:: My Facebook:: Gallery Name: sherry_lynn1979
  • Options
    Yes, @sherrylynn8779, it's like going from working with crayons to paints...how can you go back? :p
  • Options
    I have updated my initial post on page 1 with a summary of our finding so far, including those we've confirmed (can be duplicated in testing) and those that still need review. For the items that still need testing, if anyone following the thread can pitch in and try to set up test cases for those specific issues, it would really help. Also, if there's an issue I've missed or a finding that you think is incorrect, please let me know.
  • Options
    @BryonyRae I see, pretty weird some plants stick and others don't. I'll take a look at the test lot later.

I also think this explains why I couldn't 'delete' the two shrubs that were left behind, as I said in my previous post. I used the hammer to get rid of them, but it looked like they were undeletable. However, I think the shrubs simply 'sink' to the ground (like the lamps did) and there's probably 30 layers of shrubs on the same spot and I didn't click often enough, LOL.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Quick question. Has anyone used MOO with Awnings yet? Is there a way to keep them from snapping to the nearest wall? I’m trying to use them as a roof for my porches and having a hard time placing the moo’d ones because as soon as I get them close to the top they snap to the nearest wall, wouldn’t be too bad but they have preset sides that attach (can’t rotate them).
    It took me forever to get this section done:
    16079666615_22a5c0ed55_b.jpgGBG awning moo by treece0299, on Flickr
    I kinda like how it turned out but I have more porches to go and would love to speed up the process.
    UPDATE: Saving with Moo on has seemed to help tremendously. I still have some work to do and I’m going to wait till I’m done to see what all sticks when I save to library and put in new game. We’ll see. This lot is definitely testing MOO; it’s 50x50, detailed and covered in moo. Lol. (God help me when I start messing with resizing objects...so far have resisted)
    Keep you posted.
  • Options
    Chris2fer03Chris2fer03 Posts: 650 Member
    Hey @treece01 you might try adding rows of walls to make a grid, snap the objects to it and then delete the walls. In my play testing with MOO I've found that's a great way to deal with objects close to walls but not wanting the snapping effect. I've used the idea to hang garland on the fireplace and place lights within the roof. Hope this helps! :)
    Gallery ID: chris2fer03
    ~Showcase Thread~ ~Photobucket~
    ophze_zps7vbzpsi9.gif
  • Options
    Be cautious when adding and deleting those walls though! Make sure doing so isn't going to delete some of your other MOO'd stuff. :o
  • Options
    Thanks, I might try that if I can plan that far ahead. I'm such a haphazard builder though I probably have to move a bunch of stuff to place the walls first. Yeah, and then what will happen when I delete the walls...hmm. Meh, I'm guessing half my stuff will disappear when I move it into/from my library anyway. I hope not, b/c it's in my "Build" game but I'm building it specifically for one of my households to move in to.
  • Options
    Chris2fer03Chris2fer03 Posts: 650 Member
    I've had mostly succes using it but as Bry stated, it can be tricky and delete things as you're building. I'm having issues with random things disappearing like a food bowl properly placed on a counter.

By the way, I love that awning idea. I have a home I've wanted a pergola for but nothing seems to workout quite the way I want it to. I will give your idea a shot and experiment with the wall deletion. :) I know what you mean about planning ahead, I tend to come up with ideas long into a build and then it conflicts with existing stuff. Sigh.
    Gallery ID: chris2fer03
    ~Showcase Thread~ ~Photobucket~
    ophze_zps7vbzpsi9.gif
  • Options
    @Chris2fer03, thanks & good luck... hope it works out well for you. I'm giving this lot and MOO a rest for a while. I thought it was getting better but things started disappearing again & it's too hard to tell when they disappear. Hopefully they will fix it. I know there's something I'm going to want to Moo on every build so it's going to be tough to stay away. Maaay..be I'll try it on a smaller lot. I don't know.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're discouraged with your current lot, @treece01. I don't think I can bear to go back to pre-MOO building either. Did you try building with a sim living on the lot? It's much easier to track when things disappear, because they'll be put in the inventory. I typically just do a little bit of work at a time and watch that inventory like a hawk. Just a thought; hate to see you give up on it, although I'm sure a smaller build would indeed be more manageable. Maybe it's time for a starter. :p
  • Options
    Right, I checked out the test lot. When placing it from the library with MOO ON, it looks exactly like the pic you posted. When I place it from the library with MOO OFF, the lights and one of the wooden white coffee tables completely disappear.
  • Options
    RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    Sorry for the late response Bry.
    OK, it's too annoying that even all other outdoor lights reset the height placement. :(

Anyway, I already uploaded my latest lot. It's too bad that I can't make a fence post light because of it.
    I'll test your latest test lot too so I can see if my version has some issues.
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16