Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Testing MOO - Updated 10/21/16

Comments

• sherrylynn8779sherrylynn8779 Posts: 2,102 Member
    edited December 2014
    I've been trying to use the 0 and 9 keys (on the number pad) to raise and lower objects to no avail. I've tried using alt, shift, and ctrl (individually) to try and still nothing. Besides having MOO on, is there anything else I am supposed to do? I want to float my Christmas lights under the roof, but away from the wall... super annoyed. HELP? :smiley: I figured since y'all have been doing extensive MOO testing, this would be the best place to ask! I love that I can do this again! :smiley:

edit: oh yea, I can use alt to slide things up and down walls like usual. :smile:
    My Twitter:: My Facebook:: Gallery Name: sherry_lynn1979
    @ruthless_kk, have you tried pulling the stove out a bit? I remember in 3 the whole "forward first" thing, does this make a difference?
  • N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    @sherrylynn8779, I was having the same issues with the 0 & 9 keys...they changed floor levels. Ookay, wasn't trying to move that far. lol.

Also I wanted to let everyone know that I've noticed MOO items disappearing on my build when I leave the game and reload. I want to think that it has to do with whether I saved with MOO on or off but I'm not sure yet. It hasn't been a lot but it seems to be items that I placed before using MOO then later used MOO to place items with them. EX: After I placed hand soap container on the kitchen sink; the kitchen sink would disappear but the soap remained. When I place a piece of clutter with another, the first one disappears.

So, maybe it has to do with when you use MOO? Now that I think about it, it seems that everything I MOO in a single session seems to be fine but when I add MOO'd objects later?...MEH! I don't know.

I'm sure the more you use MOO, particularly on an extensive build the more potential for problems so I don't think it's been too bad.

I could just be having issues with my game saving properly...I think that happens if I forget to go off-line. Hopefully it's just my computer but I thought I'd give everyone a heads up.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    It seems to be working a bit different than it did in TS3. One thing I have noticed is that some things disappears when I go
    from buy/build mode to play mode :confounded: The game is actually "selling" the stuff. I've had it happen with stones that I have
    placed with MOO. I also had it happen with some of the new Holiday decorations. It seems like the game is refusing to accept some of
    the placements with MOO. Does this mean you have to have the cheat activated all the time? o.o
  • CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    I'm having the same problem of MOO'd objects disappearing in my current build, even while building. It makes me question my memory because I keep thinking "huh, didn't I place something there?" :p

I also saved the house and placed it on another (same-sized) lot to see how it'd transfer, but it refuses to place a couple of shrubs. There aren't any enlarged objects and I'm placing it from build mode. Most other MOO'd things do stay put.
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery
  • SimGuruBChickSimGuruBChick Posts: 1,013 SimGuru (retired)
    @BryonyRae‌ thanks so much for this thread. I have passed the link onto the Gallery team so that they can dig deeper into all the contributors' observations. Nothing beats players playing the game to find the hinky bits :D
    SimGuruBChick
    Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations
    Thanks to 06bon06 for my lovely new signature pic

p8sfgs0mgkwd.jpg
    edited December 2014
    Sigh, I was hoping it was just my computer.
    FYI, it seems to be kind of random. There are certain items that it happened to more than once but every time I reload something new is missing. Now that you mention it @Cerrydd, I think that was happening to me too (while building). :'(

*I was having fun overlapping windows to create new designs but sometimes the wall shows through. *
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    edited December 2014
    @sherrylynn8779 Wall based objects can be tricky. You can freely lower and raise some of them away from the wall using 9 and 0, but if they are too near a wall, they snap to it, and then can only be moved in the normal manner on the wall. Sometimes you have to remove the wall, place the object, then re-add the wall.

That said, I haven't had that problem with wall lights. I am able to move them freely anywhere so far. I just turn MOO on, grab a light from the catalogue, and while still holding it, press 9 or 0. Or place it and then grab it again and press 9 or 0. No alt, shift, etc. should be necessary.

Which specific light(s) are you trying to work with?

Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    edited December 2014
    @treece01 Which objects were you working with that jumped floors?

Ugh, my heart sank a bit reading from your post (and Manssom's and Cerryd's) that some MOO'd stuff is not sticking. :\ I think the best thing we can do to track it down is to start noting exactly which objects go missing (are certain objects more likely to go wonky?), what the conditions were (whether they were overlapping other objects, sticking through a wall, etc.), whether they were enlarged, and the timing when you saw them disappear (switching to play mode, after saving and exiting to Manage Worlds, after reloading, etc.). The more we can log these details, the more likely we'll be to see a pattern emerge.

Thus far, I've been doing a lot of what you guys have mentioned, and my MOO'd stuff has been sticking (knock on wood). I've been keeping MOO off most of the time and only turning it on when I definitely need to use it, then turning it off again right afterward (old habit from TS3). I've got a sim on my lot because I wanted to test as I go, so I have been switching from build mode to play mode after using MOO. Now one thing I typically do though is to save before switching to live mode. Do the rest of you do that as well? No idea if it would make a difference.

I haven't gone completely MOO crazy on this lot yet though - I've used some outdoors and just a bit indoors so far; I have a lot of work yet to do on this build, so maybe as @treece01 suggested, the more I use and/or the bigger and more extensive the lot, the more issues I'll run into. It's good to see that @SimGuruBChic and her team will be keeping an eye on this thread, so report, report, report! :)

Edit: Well, I should have knocked harder - I have experienced the disappearance now myself. I had an enlarged shelf that overlapped a couple of cabinets that I had elevated, and the cabinets went missing. I was able to duplicate it - the objects go missing when I add walls to the room (I had to delete a couple to get some wall décor where I wanted them, and I then added them back). I've seen similar behavior prior to MOO, I think, but I can't remember the exact circumstances. No matter where I tried placing the cabinets, as long as they were elevated, adding a wall would delete them. It wasn't until I adjusted their height all the way down that they would remain after adding the wall. No other elevated MOO'd objects in the room had a problem: I also had enlarged shelves and a TV elevated at the time.
    Post edited by BryonyRae on
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    I'm not sure which objects were jumping floors, sorry... I don't remember.

As far as disappearing MOO'd objects I haven't enlarged anything and I'm still fuzzy on the timing but I tend to notice it after I reload the most. (I've been trying to check everything before I save and exit). It seems to be mostly objects against objects (but I've done a lot of that).

I think I'm seeing a pattern where it is objects that I have moved several times. If I plop a mooed object down and don't touch it again it seems fine but if I move items around too much to decide exactly what I want to do with them...then one of those items will disappear. However, if I sell the items and place new ones in the same way it seems to stick.
    Not 100% sure but it seems to be looking that way.
  • petalbotpetalbot Posts: 1,423 Member
    edited December 2014
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    @treece01 Which objects were you working with that jumped floors?

Ugh, my heart sank a bit reading from your post (and Manssom's and Cerryd's) that some MOO'd stuff is not sticking. :\ I think the best thing we can do to track it down is to start noting exactly which objects go missing (are certain objects more likely to go wonky?), what the conditions were (whether they were overlapping other objects, sticking through a wall, etc.), whether they were enlarged, and the timing when you saw them disappear (switching to play mode, after saving and exiting to Manage Worlds, after reloading, etc.). The more we can log these details, the more likely we'll be to see a pattern emerge.

Thus far, I've been doing a lot of what you guys have mentioned, and my MOO'd stuff has been sticking (knock on wood). I've been keeping MOO off most of the time and only turning it on when I definitely need to use it, then turning it off again right afterward (old habit from TS3). I've got a sim on my lot because I wanted to test as I go, so I have been switching from build mode to play mode after using MOO. Now one thing I typically do though is to save before switching to live mode. Do the rest of you do that as well? No idea if it would make a difference.

I haven't gone completely MOO crazy on this lot yet though - I've used some outdoors and just a bit indoors so far; I have a lot of work yet to do on this build, so maybe as @treece01 suggested, the more I use and/or the bigger and more extensive the lot, the more issues I'll run into. It's good to see that @SimGuruBChic and her team will be keeping an eye on this thread, so report, report, report! :)

Edit: Well, I should have knocked harder - I have experienced the disappearance now myself. I had an enlarged shelf that overlapped a couple of cabinets that I had elevated, and the cabinets went missing. I was able to duplicate it - the objects go missing when I add walls to the room (I had to delete a couple to get some wall décor where I wanted them, and I then added them back). I've seen similar behavior prior to MOO, I think, but I can't remember the exact circumstances. No matter where I tried placing the cabinets, as long as they were elevated, adding a wall would delete them. It wasn't until I adjusted their height all the way down that they would remain after adding the wall. No other elevated MOO'd objects in the room had a problem: I also had enlarged shelves and a TV elevated at the time.

You are right about objects disappearing when walls are added before MOO came along. In Contemporary Chateau I had the kitchen pretty much completely decorated, then decided to modify its shape a little by adding a wall. When I added the wall the curtains would disappear. I don't remember if it was all of the curtains now or not. I thought it was because they were located by the cabinet, but this was not the case as I was able to reproduce the issue in a room with nothing but Windows and curtains. The issue seemed to be caused by placing a wall in the room after the curtains were placed.

@SimGuruBChic thank you for forwarding the thread to the gallery team! :) It is important to builders that the lots we build will stay intact as we built them when shared to the gallery, that is the downloader gets what they think they are downloading.
    Post edited by petalbot on
    sigg.gif

• Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited December 2014
    I just went into game on a lot I am working on and found a moo'd object gone. I used the empty bathroom shelf and moo'd, and also used the "9" to lift items onto the shelf. The shelf disappeared.
    12-18-14_8-42nbspPM_zpsbb674a1f.png

I did the same technique in the nursery of the same house using those display shelves where I used the moo and "9" to lift items onto those shelves. I thought for sure those would be gone as well, but everything was fine!

12-18-14_8-43nbspPM_zps47c68215.png

This is a little disheartening! :'( Finally have my beloved MOO cheat back, but he's acting wonky! Thanks for keeping an eye on this thread @SimGuruBChick, I really appreciate it!
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    That is what happens for me too Tiki :| Darn it! Looks like we might need some super glue to go with MOO.
    Tiki and Manssom, had you by any chanced moved or placed walls during the time prior to noticing the objects going missing?
    @BryonyRae I found my issue, and it is a strange one indeed. My number pad (which I use almost exclusively when doing anything with numbers) wasn't being recognized by the game properly. As @treece01 said, they caused my game to shift levels of the house (acting like the pgup/pgdn keys), but the numbers in the Alp/Num section of the keyboard did just fine moving the objects up and down. I could be wrong, but my number pad shouldn't be an issue, because it is brand new gaming keyboard and it works just fine for everything else I use it for.
    I've also noticed that outdoor plants mood together beside an exterior wall will cause items on a couch table (that is placed on the inside of the house on the same wall that the plants are near) to disappear. I also have the disappearing bathroom shelf thing. :neutral_face:
    edited December 2014
    I've been trying to duplicate what @sherrylynn8779 and @Tiki8572 are reporting. I set up shelves that look like this:
    shelves_zpsaa0c850c.jpg

And a couple of coffee tables (different sizes) with bushes on the outside of the wall. The tables are pushed into the wall a bit, and the plants are MOO'd into it as well. Looks like:
    coffeetables_zps0dd91236.jpg

I did this on a lot where I've got a sim living for test purposes, so I switched between live and build modes a few times after placing with MOO both on and off. Everything stayed put. I saved, exited, and then re-loaded. Again, everything stayed put. Then I deleted a wall. Nothing was lost at that point, but had I re-added the wall, the items highlighted in yellow below would have been blown away:
    addwall_zps187039e9.jpg

I reloaded and tried it again. This time, it would have deleted different objects:
    2ndaddwall_zps7449a8e2.jpg

Interestingly, had I deleted a second wall place, it would also have taken out a couple of objects (which didn't happen on the first delete):
    2nddelete_zps7c57c588.jpg

So I cannot recreate the disappearances unless I mess with walls. Whatever else may be going on, working with walls after MOOing is a definite issue, and until it's fixed, I would strongly advise folks to get all of their structural work done before MOOing. If it cannot be avoided, take a careful look for objects highlighted in yellow when you're about to add or delete a wall; you can at least take note of them and then replace them afterward. I should note that working with walls seems to affect only objects on the same level; objects on a different level will remain intact.
  • Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    Tiki and Manssom, had you by any chanced moved or placed walls during the time prior to noticing the objects going missing?

Hhhmm, I remember I added walls in the adjoining room (though I can't remember if I placed that wall shelf before or after I added the walls). Also the walls I added where not connected to the wall the shelf was on if that should matter.
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
    It doesn't seem to matter, @Tiki5872, although I need to do more testing. It seems like if the wall you add/delete is connected to a wall with your MOO'd objects, they can be lost, even if that wall is miles away. I want to do more testing with closed vs. open rooms, etc. though.
  • ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    I have found that things are disappearing on me as well...but not MOO'd things. Just regular things. When I went back to the first floor after working on the second floor, the computer was no longer on the desk, the coffee machine was gone from the kitchen counter, as well as some other things. None of which were MOO's or enlarged or anything else at all.

Odd stuff going on.
    edited December 2014
    More testing on the walls issue. It's really fascinating in a weird way. I wanted to experiment with adding adjoining rooms and interior rooms. I first added a small room just outside and connected to the original room. I found I could add and delete walls on it just fine without affecting the original room. I then went back to experimenting with specific walls related to the original room. I started by deleting a few wall segments and then seeing what happened when I drew walls in different ways. First, an interior, unconnected wall; it was fine:
    interiorwallokay_zpsd2ea5098.jpg

Then adding an exterior wall segment on a diagonal, which was fine:
    diagokay_zpse1a40a78.jpg

Then adding an exterior wall segment along the path of the original wall, but note that it does not connect to the other walls, nor does it complete the room. Still, it manages to cause the problem:
    midwallnotokay_zps4cb8d984.jpg

Moving back to the small adjacent room, I deleted a wall between them and had some interesting results. In this case, if I had added a diagonal wall there, it would have caused objects to be deleted, I assume because it connected the room:
    thisdiagonalbad_zps4fa8df96.jpg

I started building more rooms inside of the original room, some connected, some not. No problems while building, but then when I went to delete some of the walls for further testing, deletions were starting to affect the objects, pretty much anywhere that I wanted to delete. Note that the game wanted to delete all of the shelves - I'm not sure it was even related to MOO, but I did position the shelves while MOO was on, so it could have been:
    deletebad_zpse76907ed.jpg

deletebad2_zpsda1c5035.jpg

deletebad3_zps39cb5354.jpg

deletebad4_zps934c6353.jpg

• MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I have a question about MOO, normally stairs can't be parallell stacked on top of each other, can move objects, do that?
    I've been watching a lot of builds, and seeing pictures and I've never seen this done before. I just wanted to know before I get disappointed after the fact.

202892104_6e5fbd433b.jpg
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
    No, @MasonGamer, it still can't be done. Sorry.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    @BryonyRae thanks for checking, hopefully this time around when basements come into play, and they add more building material they'll have that solved. Because how a house I want to build the stairs leading into the basement is underneath the staircase that goes up to the second floor.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
    edited December 2014
    Okay, I have finally experienced disappearing MOO'd objects upon reloading my game. In this case, I know definitively that walls had nothing to do with it. The first time I loaded the game (with MOO off), I lost two coffee tables. Each had been MOO'd into other coffee tables (don't ask). I exited and reloaded, and this time only one of them went missing. Tried again, the same one went missing. Turned MOO on, exited and reloaded, and all objects stuck. It definitely seems to make the case that in order to preserve some MOO'd objects, MOO needs to be on when you load. :\

Saved the lot to the Library, exited to Manage Worlds, found an empty lot, went into build mode on it and placed the house, MOO still on. All MOO'd objects were there. Turned MOO off, placed it, and one of the tables (the other one) was gone. Did it one more time with MOO back off, and it was fine. Seems like it's very unpredictable right now, and the only way you're going to be sure that WYSIWYG is going to be to have MOO on when loading or placing lots with complex MOO work. I have some tough decisions to make because I love what I'm doing with this house, but I don't want to have to tell people to turn MOO on. Hoping the gurus will get it fixed before it comes to that...