Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @scobre yep...that big old word again TIME. Easier for them to take the short cut because time and of course money mean more than enjoyment and presentation. Of course, that is not fixable either, just as CAS is not fixable, open neighborhood is not fixable, terrain adjustments are not fixable on their great big shiny new engine that can 'make all our dreams come true'

Can you imagine what Sims4 could have been if they had made time? I might even be able to overlook the art style if the game play and other things were there that so many of us wanted.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    bekkasan wrote: »
    @scobre yep...that big old word again TIME. Easier for them to take the short cut because time and of course money mean more than enjoyment and presentation. Of course, that is not fixable either, just as CAS is not fixable, open neighborhood is not fixable, terrain adjustments are not fixable on their great big shiny new engine that can 'make all our dreams come true'

Can you imagine what Sims4 could have been if they had made time? I might even be able to overlook the art style if the game play and other things were there that so many of us wanted.
    Yeah just makes it feel like the Sims 4 was rushed due to Olympus and family play got hit hard with cutback as well as other playstyles. It does make me worried about the future of Sims games like the Sims 5.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    clover24clover24 Posts: 887 Member
    @Scobre hopefully that won't make the same mistake again. But with the way the gaming industry is heading with all the online aspects, I wouldn't be surprised if they do :(
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    @SimGuruDrake
    @SimGuruLyndsay

What do you guys think about your studio being silent on Family Play and players? The one thing that makes a life simulation game fun forsure.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    poppykoke wrote: »
    @SimGuruDrake
    @SimGuruLyndsay

What do you guys think about your studio being silent on Family Play and players? The one thing that makes a life simulation game fun forsure.

Drake has already commented on this a few times...

Well she can't say much but I have seen her post in the 'ideas at a glance' thread
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    poppykoke wrote: »
    @SimGuruDrake
    @SimGuruLyndsay

Drake has already commented on this a few times...

Well she can't say much but I have seen her post in the 'ideas at a glance' thread

Yeah. @SimGuruDrake couldn't give you any information. If that's what you want it's those in charge at the top of the chain at EA/Maxis that you need! :)
  • Options
    ParkPark Posts: 625 Member
    edited May 2016
    @sparkfairy1

Hullo once again,
    I was going to mention this but I was off topic as it was on the "leaderboard" thread, I have skimmed this quite-lengthy thread and while my account is quite new and the Electronic Arts staff have been gracious enough to allow me to open an account from the same domicile, I feel it would not be unseemly or disrespectful to lend my support, and concur with the sentiment herein, and am saddened by the resistance thus far displayed to a request for, I believe it is called "straight talk" in regards to what appears to me for all the world to be a fairly simple request.

I, too, would be profoundly disappointed in any purchase if faced with an apparent disconnect between a customer service entity and myself as a customer.

Oh, my bad manners, forgive me, for the others on this conversation chain, my name is Kim. I am the roommate of long standing to a recent contributor, User "Miki" whose posts have fallen along the same lines as yours in this regard.

Please note, as I have received some feedback as to how I compose my written thoughts, I just wish for everyone to know that English is not my native language. I learned it by way of intensive immersion in Korea. Though I am said to be fluent in English, I still "think" in Chosunmal, my native tongue, as it were, and "translate as I speak and type. So do bear with me if my posts seem stiff or excessively formal. The two languages do not translate fluidly.

Well, I do have quite the early day tomorrow, so I must go to sleep presently. But I do promise to be back tomorrow in the event anyone replies or requests input from me. I do not wish it thought that I "tuned out" the conversation, as it were.

Good night to all and I do hope my post was not verbose.
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    Oh no, I was just asking what do they think for themselves about this forum being so big with 1,212 pages about the Ignored family play? I mean, do they feel like they can change that or personally do they feel bad about It or how will they change this around? You know.
  • Options
    Park wrote: »
    @sparkfairy1

Hullo once again,
    I was going to mention this but I was off topic as it was on the "leaderboard" thread, I have skimmed this quite-lengthy thread and while my account is quite new and the Electronic Arts staff have been gracious enough to allow me to open an account from the same domicile, I feel it would not be unseemly or disrespectful to lend my support, and concur with the sentiment herein, and am saddened by the resistance thus far displayed to a request for, I believe it is called "straight talk" in regards to what appears to me for all the world to be a fairly simple request.

I, too, would be profoundly disappointed in any purchase if faced with an apparent disconnect between a customer service entity and myself as a customer.

Oh, my bad manners, forgive me, for the others on this conversation chain, my name is Kim. I am the roommate of long standing to a recent contributor, User "Miki" whose posts have fallen along the same lines as yours in this regard.

Please note, as I have received some feedback as to how I compose my written thoughts, I just wish for everyone to know that English is not my native language. I learned it by way of intensive immersion in Korea. Though I am said to be fluent in English, I still "think" in Chosunmal, my native tongue, as it were, and "translate as I speak and type. So do bear with me if my posts seem stiff or excessively formal. The two languages do not translate fluidly.

Well, I do have quite the early day tomorrow, so I must go to sleep presently. But I do promise to be back tomorrow in the event anyone replies or requests input from me. I do not wish it thought that I "tuned out" the conversation, as it were.

Good night to all and I do hope my post was not verbose.
    Welcome to the thread. I think you typed quite well. That's so cool you are Korean. I've met a few people who are. Nice to have you apart of the thread.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    You know, I always find it fascinatingly awesome when I find out that English is someone's second language when they speak and write it quite fluently.
    I can only recognise single words in a few languages. I always admire those folks who know more than their native language :)
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    Hey guys. I was planning on making a festival lot. :# I was going to use an old lot I made on TS2 long ago.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    Goodywood wrote: »
    Hey guys. I was planning on making a festival lot. :# I was going to use an old lot I made on TS2 long ago.
    Cool! I hope you share pictures of it when you are done, especially with your families at it.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Cool! I hope you share pictures of it when you are done, especially with your families at it.

Im ight make it, I might not. :s IDK what to do. :D
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »

I might make it, I might not. :s IDK what to do. :D
    Sorry no pressure. XD Honestly feel free to do what you want. I just hope you have fun Simming. :)
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @Park your command of English is impressive-in some cases better than native speakers so please don't worry about that ;) You articulate yourself very well and it's impressive :)

Thank you for your support and welcome to the thread :) should you have any examples of what you would like in a perfect world for your kind of family play (we all differ!) and would like to pass that feedback on we all love to hear it even if EA aren't paying attention.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    edited May 2016
    @park Welcome to the thread. I enjoyed your post and it was very understandable. I look forward to hearing more from you as the silence from EA continues. :weary: If you don't understand something feel free to ask. I'm a southern American and sometimes forget that our slang speech is not always understood by fellow American's let alone others who have English as a second language. :)

• Options
    ParkPark Posts: 625 Member
    edited May 2016
    My sincere thanks to all who have greeted me. I do apologise if I have distracted the replies from the post on the previous page about a story that is underway, and I promise to intrude as economically as possible, as I am quite the newest one here.
    My friend and housemate Miki feels quite the same and I want to be sure to convey that although she posts most sparsely, she has not "left" the thread nor has her support diminished. She, as I, are quite conscious and respectful of everyone's time and do not wish to waste it deploying redundant posts.
    Of course I came upon this thread quite on my own. We are close, yet we are individuals, of course.
    As for my English, let's say it was intensive instruction and full immersion is, by far, the best way to acquire an additional language. As they say, "If one finds oneself needing to find the loo, one had best know how to ask where it is and understand the reply."

Now than, aspects of family play. I have limited experience with other editions of the Sims but I did notice that the cheery "home life" atmosphere found in earlier renditions is quit lacking in this, the latest installment. The wonderful things about Number 4 include the finely detailed artwork, the more complex Sim behaviour and the strength of "create-a-Sim". But they have omitted a number of things that I feel in my own opinion would make the experience a far better one. Story progression, life stages that actually look as they are intended and that does include the "toddler" stage. While I do understand that, as with ones in real life, the Sim toddlers can get themselves into any number of sticky wickets, many who enjoy the family and warm home experience will delight in such life stages.

Other than that, my reservations are quite along the same lines as the multitude of nice people on this thread.
    Having said all that, I am glad to have met a few of you and I wish to add my voice, for whatever it is worth, to the overarching purpose of this thread as I see it, that the creative people and management in general would do the business quite the bit of good by communicating with their customers with all due candor. Either they will edit in those things most lacking and most requested or not, and if I may be so bold, if not some sort of explanation as to why not.

Other enterprises have, I believe they say "misfired" with products before, but it is the great ones who acknowledge an error or a mis-read of their customer base and assure tham that the product shall be made right in the not too distant future, as practical of course.

In closing, @bekkasan, Ohh the southern United States. While I have spent precious little time in the southeastern section of the country I am aware of rather curious words at that! Similarly I am aware that certain colloquialisms found to be suitable in British English are rather ghastly words here, so I shall choose my words carefully.

I learned the "hard way" at my place of employment when I requested a package of pencil-top erasers, as I prefer to use a pencil in my handwritten work. Long story short, I hailed the chap who manages office supplies who was half way across the room and asked if he had a "box of rubbers for my pencil tops" with him. Others present promptly took on a degree of pallor and struggled mightily to hold back laughter.

I was informed later, much later, that pencil rubbers are called erasers, and in American English, "rubbers" are something entirely different.

Good day, all!
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    It's really interesting to read so many thoughtful, insightful posts in this thread. I agree with you -- TS4 is coming up on two years old and there are no toddlers nor an announcement of them. It's only my opinion but I don't think they are ever coming (probably impossible to add, the way the game was made) but that EA is terrified to say so because so many people would rage quit.

I also find it hard to see how the game can do pets in a fun, realistic way. Will they be objects like babies? Will they be randomly culled? Will they look like paper cut-outs?
    Toddlers are in no way impossible to add! But otherwise I agree with you - just not about your reasons because I don't believe that we will ever get toddlers for the Sims 4 either. Just not because they would be impossible to add but because EA already made the choice to omit them and because EA clearly doesn't want the Sims 4 to be like the previous games. It would therefore be completely illogical for EA to choose to add them now that late in the game. Also because it would be more expensive now than to have added them much earlier. EA clearly didn't want the Sims 4 to focus nearly as much on children and family as especially the Sims 2 and the Sims 3 did and EA alas shouldn't be expected to change that decision now.

Therefore it is also very uncertain if EA will choose to add pets later. I surely wouldn't expect pets in this game until I actually see them.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    @Stdlr9 Don't feel alone in your frustration. I miss my supernaturals as much as most people miss toddlers.....and they would probably be easier to do because it wouldn't require resizing Sims and creating all the animations toddlers would require.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    @Stdlr9 Don't feel alone in your frustration. I miss my supernaturals as much as most people miss toddlers.....and they would probably be easier to do because it wouldn't require resizing Sims and creating all the animations toddlers would require.
    I miss both. Having supernatural pets and toddlers would be awesome for me. I love all three things equally.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Hello everyone!!!!! And welcome to the new @Park - I have to smile at your posts, you speak better English than I do (I'm English, I live in England lol). Reading your posts is almost like reading one of my favourite novels, Jayne Eyre (I mean that in a complementary way).

Well, no new news I see. I've had a few days off from playing, probably more like a week, I'm in that phase again where it's not drawing me in. Sigh. I need a spark of interest... something... anything...
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I'm playing the Sims 2 again and thanks to another thread I found out why I like family play is because I love my Sims games being busy and causing chaos. Anyway this was a cute autonomous thing that happened when I started my game. Nebula and Venus started jumping on the bed. I think I actually do have an ugly toddler in that household. Poor Astra looks like she could be Bigfoot's daughter, but she's Vidcund's daughter.
    snapshot_ed7b3373_c4453cbd_zpsfp9fmkqh.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Bummer, doesn't look like relationships will be expanded any further in the Sims 4. :'(

From Simulation Tech Talk:
    SimGuruEugi said.

"CC alone does not affect the save size. Usually, the main driving factor is the number of Sims (and consequently, the number of relationships between Sims)."

"They are small (especially if compared to Sims 3), and we like to keep them that way :)
    Usually, we don't look at save files in terms of absolute size. Instead, we try to identify situations where things are getting saved improperly leading to larger than necessary save files. It is expected that a "large" game (one with many Sims/lots) has a larger save file."
  • Options
    MaddannaMaddanna Posts: 127 Member
    Sometimes I don't know what to say. At this point I'm just sad, I'm not mad at the gurus, not mad at anyone higher up, hell not even the trouble making friction makers phase me anymore....why? It's all expected now, it's a cycle and it's just so tiresome to see it play out. It's great to see that this thread is still a beacon for those who want to share the family play aspects of the series that bonds them together and hold so dearly. It did alot for me when I found this thread but now I'm at that point where I'm through with hoping and just wondering "how?". I just wonder how family play got so dangerously diminished, isolating such a huge player base if the purpose of most of these changes was to broaden the appeal pool? I want this series to be successful, to continue to grow, to broaden it's player/appeal pool, to continue to make it's customers happy with minimal loss from the old base. I just stick myself in here every now and again to see what's up and if anything significant changed.

On another note welcome to the forums @Park
  • Options
    MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    Clearly, EAMaxis et al, have missed the mark as to what family players want. I hold out no hope for this iteration being anything close to what we want. So, you'd better have everyone you want to play in your single household or be willing to lose them without notice through the culling working as intended. How do you even keep clubs alive and thriving, since members could disappear at any moment without notice? /sigh

I really don't understand all this. I just want to sit down and cry sometimes.

I do appreciate all of your stories and pictures, it is the one thing that helps me hold on here.

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top