Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Options
    ParkPark Posts: 625 Member
    Hello everyone!!!!! And welcome to the new @Park - I have to smile at your posts, you speak better English than I do (I'm English, I live in England lol). Reading your posts is almost like reading one of my favourite novels, Jayne Eyre (I mean that in a complementary way).

Well, no new news I see. I've had a few days off from playing, probably more like a week, I'm in that phase again where it's not drawing me in. Sigh. I need a spark of interest... something... anything...

In a complementary way? Thank ou, I am actually quite honoured.

My missives may seem more than a bit formal to some, but I wish it to be known that I do this so as to avoid the off chance of writing a word which is acceptable for those who speak U K English might be quite different over here, as with the pencil rubber fiasco and of course the still used word for cigarettes.

My tutors were relentless, in somewhat of a Pygmalion way.
    It may help for me to be a touch less general on where I originate. It goes far to explain some of my behaviours online and in reality. When I say "Korea" I shal be more specific and inform all for whom it may matter, I mean North Korea. I took a rather unauthorized trip abroad not all that many years ago and suffice it to say, they still would like me to return and "Have a chat with them" regarding why I left and how I would be made happier to remain.

Yes, "have a chat" indeed. They take me for a lunk head I assume.

All right, I rather suspect I have spoken off-topic quite enough. If anyone ever has something to say, ask or even idle chatter anyone can feel free to PM me.

Now, onto the proper topic, @Scobre That they appear more concerned about file sizes and base system performance than they do about rendering honest replies to honest queries does not bode well for this series.

Pity, as I just came to know "The Sims" fairly recently. The game originators honestly don't.. "get it" indeed.
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Well, we'll see how Dine Out is going to be and whether they pulled it off right tomorrow. I'll post whatever they show off tomorrow and try to get info for anybody interested. I'm hoping that they'll make some sort of family themed restaurant like Chuck E. Cheese, without the arcade machines of course.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Well, we'll see how Dine Out is going to be and whether they pulled it off right tomorrow. I'll post whatever they show off tomorrow and try to get info for anybody interested. I'm hoping that they'll make some sort of family themed restaurant like Chuck E. Cheese, without the arcade machines of course.
    Cool. I heard Simmers are going to make Pizza Planet from Toy Story too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    edited May 2016
    Ooh @HIFreeBirdIH I will look forward to seeing your experiences and that sounds like a fun build-I can't wait to see if it would be possible :)

@Scobre that sounds really cool. I adore toy story <3
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

I could probably create something like that, but there would be a very limited choice of games unless I recolor the different games over and over again. It'll probably look odd having the same games, but, whatever. I hope that they add more drink options too so we can have different types of "soda" Sims can order.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    clover24clover24 Posts: 887 Member

I admit i wouldnt mind seeing if its any good. Maybe i could add it to my list if if it is. I am interested to see how good it is. Though im more interested in the dating side not the work side.

But at the moment im on my s3 family again. Decided to pick up my legacy attempt to see if i can make the next gen. Ive got past the money part with the help of world adventures... thats the most boring for me and reason why i always give up so soon. But now that money worry is gone for my sim i can move forward.
  • Options
    Newest trailer is out. Seems like kids can color at the table, which is pretty cool.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv1OFbwgh98&amp;ab_channel=TheSims
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I like what I see so far. I'm happy I'll be able to send my families out for a meal, or a romantic dinner for my couples. The "Family Style" restaurants where the kids are coloring reminds me of the TGI Fridays or the Applebees we've gone out to eat at as a family in real life. I like that. Looks like the "feed a bite" interaction will be back, yay! Fingers crossed we'll get "surprise engagement" back too. That is one of my favorite ways to get my Sims 2 couples engaged.
  • Options
    I like what I see so far. I'm happy I'll be able to send my families out for a meal, or a romantic dinner for my couples. The "Family Style" restaurants where the kids are coloring reminds me of the TGI Fridays or the Applebees we've gone out to eat at as a family in real life. I like that. Looks like the "feed a bite" interaction will be back, yay! Fingers crossed we'll get "surprise engagement" back too. That is one of my favorite ways to get my Sims 2 couples engaged.
    Yeah what I'm hoping for too. I'd love if surprise engagement got put in the pack.
  • Options
    MaddannaMaddanna Posts: 127 Member
    Even with all the grievances I have with TS4 I gotta say who ever is doing the game packs are doing 'em right. It seems like the dine out gp will be good too.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Well, after an upsetting evening I come on here and get cheered up seeing all the excitement on the forum for the new GP. We don't get much excitement on here anymore, so that is really nice to see.

It looks like it will be one for me to buy, but I will probably wait and see what people say just to be sure that it has been done 'properly' ;)
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    Maddanna wrote: »
    Even with all the grievances I have with TS4 I gotta say who ever is doing the game packs are doing 'em right. It seems like the dine out gp will be good too.

Pretty much this. I'm waiting for more detailed info, but this looks like a GP that might tempt me.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member
    :# The new GP looks nice, but there's no way I'm going to let it tempt me right after deciding not to support the sims 4. I have more willpower than that! I barely even play the sims 4 anymore because it clashes with my computer's latest software update (it's way too much of a hassle to jump through the hoops to get it safely running) so it would be a waste of money for me to get it anyway. :sweat_smile:

@Park welcome to the forums. It's always nice to get a new perspective in the mix :)
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

THE CLAAAAAAAAWWWWW!!!
  • Options
    esharpmajoresharpmajor Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited May 2016
    UUUuugh, ok so haven't posted in a while, sorry, had to cool down after a very annoying Simming experience. After I had a chat with Gruff and Neia on this thread I decided to buy Get Together when it was on 30% sale. I had some extra cash, and the game is all but dead to me so I decided after hearing their feelings about clubs that maybe it would make a difference.

Well. That did not go well for me. I sincerely wish I had not purchased it. I should have returned, but wasn't able to play until the weekend after my purchase, and I didn't want to miss the sale. Anyway, can't return it now. Great stuff. *has flash backs to Sept 2014*

My current game is filled with nothing but young adults waiting for the addition of toddlers before they start their families. I wanted to have clubs so that I could put families and kids into clubs together as was suggested to me. The way my world is set up though, it's a lot of work and time to invest getting them all hitched and starting families so that I can try out that strategy, so I decided to try a classic 'bro's club as a tester.

First of all, I was hugely disappointed by the choices. Only 20 club symbols? Can't select gender as requirement? Only 5 allowed/banned activities but activities are extremely specific - so if for example I want my bro's to avoid everything 'intelligent' I would have to use up all 5, individually disallowing microscopes, reading, browsing the web etc etc. A broader category system would make so much more sense here, that or way more allowed/disallowed behaviour slots! Anyway I managed to hobble a 'players' club together, told them to drink, dance, play bar games, flirt and work out. Whatever, sure.

I invite them over for their first group outing. One of them shows up instantly and starts doing push ups inside my sim's legs. Awesome start.
    Nh64F8G.png

Manage to wrangle them inside, where they all take turns popping up and down doing sit ups. There is a bar. Dart board. Card table. TV. Stereo. But no. Nothing but push ups. That seems pretty balanced. "Hey you guys wanna come over and pre-drink at my place?" "Sure, let's all take turns doing push ups, and smiling maniacally!"
    1W0lWWG.png

Fine. Maybe they're bored because there are no ladies, let's skip the pre-game and go to the bar. One of the guys doesn't like my sim very much, not enemies just didn't get off on the right foot, so he says he'd rather not come along. So much for my in-club rivalry idea. When they arrive they all stand around doing silly idles for a full sim hour until I finally groan and tell my sim to bring them all inside. So smart. So real. Wow.
    i2zGZkD.png

One leaves instantly.
    h2EZjpw.png

Another leaves a few minutes later.
    mIE3s8U.png

The remaining 2 made it inside, and are closer friends because of it. SO much close. Conjoined friends, really.
    H6rPIZH.png

I can't stand that so I tell my sim to sit down and order a drink. Nothing happens. Another sim hour goes by, the only remaining club member present has ordered two drinks and chatted with people at the bar. No flirting, no dancing, no game playing, no nothing. Normally this guy is at least starting fights with strangers, or flirting with people, but no, nothing. My hot heated, materialistic, flirty sim, who is in a FLIRTY mood, has done nothing but chat amicably with Bjerg Bjergson or whatever his name is. Bored to tears I had my active sim throw a flirt at Bjergson's wife. She's down. Bjerg didn't like that, uh oh! What's gonna happen next?
    GCNOAdF.png

What happened next is Bjerg started grinning and walked to the stereo where he danced and chatted happily with his wife and my sim while doing his very best owl impression. Girl in the green sweater get's how weird it is.
    3g7cNwo.png

Oh thank goodness he turned around when I turned off the stereo. Now he's having an animated discussion with his wife across the silent bar. Everyone else is smiling and doing nothing. Awkward. Green sweater girl didn't get the memo about the stereo and continues to dance for about 20 sim minutes.
    5kLOoGv.png

Group member wanders off, didn't even wave, so rude. My sim stands alone.
    Y4NcyEd.png

My sim returns home to ponder why he left in the first place, and why he had to go through a loading screen to get there.
    6eWk0Ia.png

Why do I keep doing this to myself? Do I really want to like this game again so badly that I will throw my money away knowing full well it won't change what's wrong with this game? Why am I waiting for toddlers anyway? Everything is such a mess, even if they were the best cutest toddlers of the whole series, they would crawl through each other and sit idle switching rapidly through emotions and have no memory of their upbringing! What is WRONG with me?! Am just totally naive? *sigh*
    13a74db44c5ed9c9a5ba8ba5dd3e46be.jpg

(Oh an PS not the fault of people who recommended Get Together to me, nor a dismissal of their experiences with the club system, just a denouncement of my own inability to trust my gut, and a general observation of my thinking when it comes to the sims franchise. I wonder if I will ever truly reach that place where I stop trying to love this game, I seem to be a glutton for punishment.)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    *Dodado* Mods to the rescue @esharpmajor. Yeah the limits in those club options do stink. Why I've had to use these.
    http://zerbu.tumblr.com/post/136066539942/the-sims-4-get-together-mod-more-club-icons
    http://modthesims.info/d/569149

There is these too mods too if you want.
    http://zerbu.tumblr.com/post/134758517402/the-sims-4-get-together-mod-more-than-8-club
    http://zerbu.tumblr.com/post/143970367562/the-sims-4-enhanced-lighting

Sorry you had a bad experience with it though. *Hugs* Well I've been feeling the same way, like I force myself to play the Sims 4 lately too. Why I'm having to take a break from it. I sent my saves over to the Gurus to get bugs fixed. I am enjoying playing Sims 2 again but I'm feeling like I need to take a Sims break sometimes. Like too much Sims if that makes sense. XD You aren't alone in how you feel. It's the love/hate relationship I have for the game too. I want to love it, but it frustrates me sometimes too.
  • Options
    Oh thank the lord, so glad for modders!! Lol I hadn't started looking for mod fixes yet, I was just so underwhelmed by the whole thing - thanks so much for doing my work for me! I will probably return to it, but for now finishing up my sim modelling competitions that I'm involved in and once again, not playing. Such a bummer, really.
  • Options
    Oh thank the lord, so glad for modders!! Lol I hadn't started looking for mod fixes yet, I was just so underwhelmed by the whole thing - thanks so much for doing my work for me! I will probably return to it, but for now finishing up my sim modelling competitions that I'm involved in and once again, not playing. Such a bummer, really.
    Oh no worries. I'm a mod addict, so I shop around. XD That's cool and aww. I hope you get to play a Sims game again soon. But yeah thank goodness for mods sometimes.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @esharpmajor Your experience is exactly why I will not purchase the game and any stuff to go with it. I will not be frustrated by another EA/Maxis game and have to mod it to make it playable. Just hearing your experience and others makes it much easier to stick to my instincts. I have not looked at the trailer for the dining stuff and figure I will read enough about its ups and downs once it is released. I do hope that they actually get one right from the get go and it doesn't mess anything else up and works properly.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I really thought I had done my research on Get Together - I talked at LENGTH with other players about their reaction to it, and looked at all the pre-release info, even looked at the details on Sims VIP - but by all accounts clubs were a 'game changer' that was totally underestimated by players (like myself) prior to launch. (In hind sight I should have watched some let's plays I guess, but tbh I find them so boring and frustrating to watch I generally avoid them)

I dropped my complaints about clubs not really adding much to the game, and not being a particularly robust or interesting feature as a result of that general opinion. Maybe they were better than I thought? I mean, they had to be right? My last reservation was how annoying I found it to have to 'program' my sims to behave as friends/families when imo they should be able to do that as a basic feature. I decided that I was only punishing myself by standing on that principle considering the positive response by others - if this would get me playing again, it would be worth it! So I went ahead and bought it.

Unfortunately, my original qualms based off of early release info was closer to my experience than the anecdotes of other simmers. I don't see the impact, I don't see this 'powerful feature' I don't see... ANYTHING! They were just as poorly behaved as ever, and I was left scratching my head about what other players were doing to see this 'big effect'. As if more things needed to override a sim's personality. First they have emotions to contend with, now they have this other super limited set of rules - where's the opportunity to show WHO they are? WHY they are like that? Clubs change nothing in that regard, and if anything it seems to me they further dilute already weak personalities. I feel now more than ever that if the personalities, memories, and autonomy of sims is not revisited... well forget family play, there won't be any play for me at all.

I had so much hope for S4, and somehow, despite being so disappointed, despite being a generally cynical person, and completely against my better judgement I hoped again for a second that this EP would give me some measure of enjoyment back. Alas.

giphy.gif
  • Options
    I really thought I had done my research on Get Together - I talked at LENGTH with other players about their reaction to it, and looked at all the pre-release info, even looked at the details on Sims VIP - but by all accounts clubs were a 'game changer' that was totally underestimated by players (like myself) prior to launch. (In hind sight I should have watched some let's plays I guess, but tbh I find them so boring and frustrating to watch I generally avoid them)

I dropped my complaints about clubs not really adding much to the game, and not being a particularly robust or interesting feature as a result of that general opinion. Maybe they were better than I though? I mean, they had to be right? My last reservation was how annoying I found it to have to 'program' my sims to behave as friends/families when imo they should be able to do that as a basic feature. I decided that I was only punishing myself by standing on that principle considering the positive response by others - if this would get me playing again, it would be worth it! So I went ahead and bought it.

Unfortunately, my original qualms based off of early release info was closer to my experience than the anecdotes of other simmers. I don't see the impact, I don't see this 'powerful feature' I don't see... ANYTHING! They were just as poorly behaved as ever, and I was left scratching my head about what other players were doing to see this 'big effect'. As if more things needed to override a sim's personality. First they have emotions to contend with, now they have this other super limited set of rules - where's the opportunity to show WHO they are? WHY they are like that? Clubs change nothing in that regard, and if anything it seems to me they further dilute already weak personalities. I feel now more than ever that if the personalities, memories, and autonomy of sims is not revisited... well forget family play, there won't be any play for me at all.

I had so much hope for S4, and somehow, despite being so disappointed, despite being a generally cynical person, and completely against my better judgement I hoped again for a second that this EP would give me some measure of enjoyment back. Alas.

giphy.gif
    Well the club perks are nice. Sims are able to get homework done faster and other skills, so in that way, I saw it helping the AI of the game. The pre-built lots are kind of boring, so I have to rebuild them to make them more fun for clubs. The bluffs are nice for a basement type of club, so you don't lose the view.
  • Options
    ...what is a basement type club?
  • Options
    MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    I, too, am a sims addict and buy everything, even though I know better. /sigh It is only through seeing others stories and pictures that I truly get my sim fix. I still have this tiny shred of hope, I guess, that something will transform this game into something much more enjoyable for me... I know, insane is a trait I obviously have...

But, many thanks to those who post their pictures and stories regardless of the iteration involved! You keep me alive in this drought.

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @esharpmajor I'm sorry honey :( I sort of felt the same way with GT. My game I sent a new sim lady out to the ruins to party. Only one other sim turned up at the lot. I started the bonfire and thought 'this will attract some sims'. Nope.

I decided maybe she needed a club to join. So I got her to join three.

She went to a party by the weird green water/pool thing. She was dancing to the dj but then started to have a conversation with two sims. With her back to both of them. I kept waiting for her to 'notice' and move but it never happened.

Next she went home. She had sims drop by her house and because the three were in a group it triggered a group meeting and the others automatically invaded her home too. They ended up basically living at her house-they slept on couches, used her pc, ate her out of house and home and even started getting into her bed to sleep.

I got annoyed and decided to try a new club I hadn't tested yet. They went to a bar and I tried to order my sim drinks. Other sims kept stealing it! I tried to play a bar game and I struggled to get the club to behave how I wanted.

I understand completely. Every few months after a few patches I try to get back into the game. But I just don't feel invested in their lives because so much of what made the sims awesome to me is missing.

So don't feel bad. It just shows how much we would love to love and why it hurts that we don't.

@Scobre thanks for suggesting mods :) next time I try again I'll ask for recommendations :)

@Mylita I know what that feels like. *big hugs*
  • Options
    Yea that sounds a lot like my experience, Sparky. Sorry you are in the same boat but glad I wasn't the only one who had that reaction to GT - I thought I must be going nuts, everyone had so many good things to say about this EP, and yet I'm finding it unplayable? :(
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top