Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Decorator Tips

Comments

• Options
    GiggggzGiggggz Posts: 40 Member
    edited October 2014
    @Mstybl95 Thanks for starting this threat :) I like all your ideas and the mix and match one is cool. @BryonyRae, I agree with you about colouring the ceiling, it's a shame we can't do that, but your tip looks good. At least we can add something up there instead of it just being plain.
  • Options
    BakieBakie Posts: 279 Member
    > @JBEAR1 said:
    Do things placed freely stay there when people download?

I don't know haven't tried it yet, but placing freely with the alt-button isn't part of a mod. So I think it will stay in place.
    Want to make your own Custom Content for The Sims 4, but don't know how to start? Please visit my Youtube Channel for multiple English Spoken tutorials:
    <url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrMuxltq5mlcMjf6h7qrKzQ">BakieGaming YouTube Channel</url>
  • Options
    JBEAR1JBEAR1 Posts: 537 Member
    Bakie wrote: »
    > @JBEAR1 said:<br />
    Do things placed freely stay there when people download?<br />
    <br />
    I don't know haven't tried it yet, but placing freely with the alt-button isn't part of a mod. So I think it will stay in place.

I would really like to know about this more before using it . Interesting. Thanks

• Options
    EEtheridgeEEtheridge Posts: 585 Member
    Great thread I love all of the amazing tips shared so far!
    MyTS4Signature_zpsa6ba606a.jpg
    View my homes in the Gallery, Origin ID: EEtheridge
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I just learned that if you decorate a home with unique paintings that your sim painted, it doesn't get uploaded with the house. Don't waste your time. :(
  • Options
    SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I just learned that if you decorate a home with unique paintings that your sim painted, it doesn't get uploaded with the house. Don't waste your time. :(

Thank you.
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • Options
    simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    edited October 2014
    pchapman wrote: »
    I too am loving this thread. I love to decorate and can spend hours upon hours building and decorating. :smile: I love this look ahholladay, but though I can sort of see how you did it or understand your concept, I took not have a "fence" that looks like a brick wall or have I missed something here and you were able to put wallpaper on your half wall you made using some kind of fencing?

ETA: Oops, I should have read the whole thread before answering. I see you found it already! :)

KGLsNuM.jpg
  • Options
    SnowmoonSnowmoon Posts: 3,437 Member
    I kinda like this thread a lot. ^^
    Find my builds under Evie_Snowmoon in the Gallery!
  • Options
    EEtheridgeEEtheridge Posts: 585 Member
    I understand that they wanted everyone to get the collections/garden plants and paintings on their own, but I do wish what we could share them. I really like decorating with paintings that my sim made.
    MyTS4Signature_zpsa6ba606a.jpg
    View my homes in the Gallery, Origin ID: EEtheridge
  • Options
    BlueIsis433BlueIsis433 Posts: 26 Member
    Great thread, love the ideas.
  • Options
    JBEAR1JBEAR1 Posts: 537 Member
    Ok, I learnt a lesson. I built a space ship, on a 40 x 30, now I want to put it on every lot for an epic pic. Could have done. Can't. Might be a good idea to always start your builds on the smallest lot and move up when needed
  • Options
    I have some more tips:

Enlarge a fireplace. It takes up 3 tiles when enlarged. It can make a huge difference in the lot style! -Also, I used a tip from here about adding spice to the ceiling.
    10-07-14_3-12%C2%A0PM-2.png

Use island counters instead of a dining room table. More seating in just the way you want it:
    10-07-14_3-13%C2%A0PM-3.png

If you don't have the space for a bar, turn it around and face it towards the wall. Sims can still grab drinks:
    [img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-w6W5pFANbaY/VDRKeru_xtI/AAAAAAAAMHk/ZBlE15NInRc/w1536-h864-no/10-07-14_3-13%C2%A0PM.png[/img]
  • Options
    P.S. I HATE the refrigerators in this game. They don't fit in the counters, they leave huge gaps that look silly, they aren't the right height. Uggg...All I wanted was built in look.
  • Options
    Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I have some more tips:

Enlarge a fireplace. It takes up 3 tiles when enlarged. It can make a huge difference in the lot style! -Also, I used a tip from here about adding spice to the ceiling.
    10-07-14_3-12%C2%A0PM-2.png

AH!! What a awesome idea!! Did not even occur to me to enlarge a fireplace!! Awesome!!!! :D
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • Options
    @Mstybl95 I love the room and the ideas. Making all these set-in is just gorgeous. Beautiful rooms.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I wish I could make beautiful rooms :) Has everyone been uploading them to the gallery? I would love to download some of these, they look wonderful. And there are some great tips. I've just been experimenting with cabinets, using them as tables etc as detailed in here. My kitchens are usually standard fridge, counters and cooker along one wall lol. I tried to be a little different here (it's a bit empty, but I think I'm getting there):

Kitchen1.png
    The other half of the room:
    Kitchen2.png

Keep the tips coming! And thank you all for such amazing ideas.
  • Options
    SunnyKegSunnyKeg Posts: 98 Member
    @elanorbreton I like the kitchen, I like what you did with the island counters with the sink in there - I often get stuck in a rut with the wall of cabinets on one side too, so great ideas!
    Origin ID: SunnyKeg
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Each of the tips here are great! :) Your kitchen looks great @elanorbreton. It looks great how you have done the sink counter and the curved bar stool counter. The wall shelf looks nice between the two cabinets. Great layout of the room.
  • Options
    celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    Here's a tip I have come to learn. Watch the enlargement trick. When you initially enlarge, the system does not recognize that the tile size has changed. When you save and come back later, you will find that the items you set around the enlarged object are deleted. Found this out the hard way, ugh
  • Options
    GiggggzGiggggz Posts: 40 Member
    @celdys0n I discovered that too when I enlarged a painting and placed lamps in front of it. I then moved the painting up a little and it fixed the problem. If it looks like the objects may be too close or overlapping they get deleted.
  • Options
    celdys0n wrote: »
    Here's a tip I have come to learn. Watch the enlargement trick. When you initially enlarge, the system does not recognize that the tile size has changed. When you save and come back later, you will find that the items you set around the enlarged object are deleted. Found this out the hard way, ugh

Same thing happened to me. I enlarged the outdoor plants. Next time I looked my handrails for the steps and most of the columns were missing. I ended up redoing all the plants to be able to keep the other things.

• Options
    XXSKEXxPXXSKEXxP Posts: 11 New Member
    Great thread! I love doing the interior design in my games, I spend days on getting it perfect. I'm rubbish at building though.
    Looking forward to seeing more tips and designs. :)
  • Options
    Ash072Ash072 Posts: 1,324 Member
    @mystbl95 - I love those ideas for the bar and fireplace! The bar especially because it gives a different storage/counter option and is still functional!
    5sXtTqH.png
  • Options
    ObsidianMyst78ObsidianMyst78 Posts: 308 Member
    @mystbl95 that is a great tip about the bar! I feel that it can be awkward in some rooms, but my Sims really seem to like them so I always try to include it. Now I have a great way to include it and not have the bar in the middle of a room!!
    View my builds HERE.
    Gallery ID: RAINE78 or click HERE
    [img][/img]16960920500_af39128c74_o.jpgSims Homes by raines_secret, on Flickr