Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Decorator Tips

Comments

• plumbob2969plumbob2969 Posts: 42 Member
    I've done bookshelves and tables in The Sims 3 for a media center but since we don't have the move objects cheat I think the cabinets are a great solution and look awesome!
    Origin ID: Juju_Magumbo | Twitter: @Juju_Magumbo | TS4 Forums: plumbob2969
  • flgurl315flgurl315 Posts: 72 Member
    I LOVE the desk/counter idea and the entertainment center.

Origin: CattleDestroyer

Xbox Gamertag: CattleDestroyer

Currently Playing: Sims 4 & Dragon Age: Inquistion
  • altad1altad1 Posts: 1,091 Member
    I love all the {inspired} decorating - no pun intended.
    My housed are usually very boring, definitely bookmarking this thread.
  • GiggggzGiggggz Posts: 40 Member
    Thank you for the tips :)
  • Don_OelloDon_Oello Posts: 269 Member
    these ideas get me inspired to build a new house for my showcase thread
    mh0CjH8.png
    Check out my showcase
  • SunnyKegSunnyKeg Posts: 98 Member
    @ahholladay Thanks for the tip about the kitchen counters and fencing...the pic looks great and that was definitely a new/useful tip I will use! :) PS I want half walls too!
    Origin ID: SunnyKeg
  • Ash072Ash072 Posts: 1,324 Member
    aquilifer wrote: »
    Dragons. When in doubt, just add more dragons. It always works for me.

Though, honestly, I'd like to see some more people play around with flooring designs. My favorite thing in flooring is CTRL + F. It changes things so you can place a 1/4 triangle of flooring instead of a full square, and lets you be more creative with it. Here's an example from my Museum of Fine Arts, where I used the smaller triangles to weave together different floor patterns. I also rotated the brickwork so that I could use the edges to make square-shaped frames around the area, instead of just lines in a single direction.

[img][/img]10-03-14_10-13nbspPM_zpsc2934ffb.png

I found that out the other week and have been using it alot lately as well! BTW, love your design in that pic.
    5sXtTqH.png
  • Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited October 2014
    Really like this thread, and I am taking notes! LOL :p Everyone has so many creative and ingenious ideas!

Besides the new counter and cabinets which are a decorating wonder because they can be used so many different ways, I love the new spandrels! I like to use them on the inside of the bigger house's to give some architectural detail.

09-23-14_9-46nbspPM_zps06a5037b.png

09-23-14_9-55nbspPM_zps76fa4ccd.png

These pics are not the best at showing (the camera functions are hard to take decent pics with), but I used them along the top over the island in the kitchen and also upstairs around the opening that looks down.
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    @Tiki5872 - I didn't even realize we could use the spandrels inside. D'oh!

@Aquilifer - That looks so great. I wish I had the patience to do intricate floor designs like that. That is a weakness of mine.
  • BakieBakie Posts: 279 Member
    edited October 2014
    Very usefull topic, I bookmarked it too!
    I use the F5 key too, when placing objects. This makes it possible to place things on a 1/4 tile.

> @plumbob2969 said:
    > I've done bookshelves and tables in The Sims 3 for a media center but since we don't have the move objects cheat I think the cabinets are a great solution and look awesome!

You can use "moveobjects on" Mod by TwistedMexi. You can find it on Modthesims.info
    I think that will help for even more deco tips. Checking back later, first going to use some of the tips giving here.
    Want to make your own Custom Content for The Sims 4, but don't know how to start? Please visit my Youtube Channel for multiple English Spoken tutorials:
    <url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrMuxltq5mlcMjf6h7qrKzQ">BakieGaming YouTube Channel</url>
    Bakie wrote: »
    Very usefull topic, I bookmarked it too!<br />
    I use the F5 key too, when placing objects. This makes it possible to place things on a 1/4 tile. <br />
    <br />
    > @plumbob2969 said:<br />
    > I've done bookshelves and tables in The Sims 3 for a media center but since we don't have the move objects cheat I think the cabinets are a great solution and look awesome! <br />
    <br />
    You can use "moveobjects on" Mod by TwistedMexi. You can find it on Modthesims.info<br />
    I think that will help for even more deco tips. Checking back later, first going to use some of the tips giving here.

I am enjoying the move objects mod, but I have a serious issue with it. I usually build in a build only save and then transfer the lot to the different save that I play in. However, with that mod, none of the furniture ever transfers with it. Only wall hangings will be there. I love the mod, but seriously considering removing it.
  • JBEAR1JBEAR1 Posts: 537 Member
    "I use the F5 key too, when placing objects. This makes it possible to place things on a 1/4 tile."
    What's this now? o_0

This changes everything...
  • pchapmanpchapman Posts: 260 Member
    ahholladay wrote: »
    I don't know if this would be new or useful for anyone, but I did discover recently that you can sandwich a kitchen counter between two walls and then use solid fencing on the front wall to make it a half-wall which gives you sort of a 'built in' look and a shelf that allows you to place some of the larger clutter/sculpture/plant items that won't fit on the regular wall shelves. It's only decorative, though -- sims can't use anything that's on the shelf because they see a 'wall' between them and the object -- so it's no good as a desk, etc. Something like this:

iXem2kM.jpg

I too am loving this thread. I love to decorate and can spend hours upon hours building and decorating. :smile: I love this look ahholladay, but though I can sort of see how you did it or understand your concept, I took not have a "fence" that looks like a brick wall or have I missed something here and you were able to put wallpaper on your half wall you made using some kind of fencing?
    Origin ID for Sims 4: patti2297
    Follow me on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/27640240@N08/

edited October 2014
    ^ There is a colour option on the small wall , I think the last of the 4 options, but it always seems to have orange ends on it so not sure what is going on there. Do the end posts not appear when butted against a wall?
  • pchapmanpchapman Posts: 260 Member
    edited October 2014
    JBEAR1 wrote: »
    ^ There is a colour option on the small wall , I think the last of the 4 options, but it always seems to have orange ends on it so not sure what is going on there. Do the end posts not appear when butted against a wall?

I found the wall used, and the posts disappear.
    Origin ID for Sims 4: patti2297
    Follow me on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/27640240@N08/

• Emma_ValentineEmma_Valentine Posts: 81 Member
    edited October 2014
    I like to create large islands. I will make a large square 3x3 but leave the middle square empty and line it with one of the tall fences and place either shrubbery or lots of standing lamps in the middle. Makes a lovely centerpiece for your kitchen.
    Post edited by Emma_Valentine on
  • BakieBakie Posts: 279 Member
    > @JBEAR1 said:
    > "I use the F5 key too, when placing objects. This makes it possible to place things on a 1/4 tile."
    > What's this now? o_0
    >
    > This changes everything...

Or you can just hold the Alt, then you can place freely... :smiley:

@Mstybl95 said:
    >
    > I am enjoying the move objects mod, but I have a serious issue with it. I usually build in a build only save and then transfer the lot to the different save that I play in. However, with that mod, none of the furniture ever transfers with it. Only wall hangings will be there. I love the mod, but seriously considering removing it.

Ow, I don't have a save mode for only building (yet), but I can imagine this is very annoying. Have you mentioned this in the download thread over at mts? Maybe he can fix this. I'm glad I know this though, so I won't make the same "mistake".
    Want to make your own Custom Content for The Sims 4, but don't know how to start? Please visit my Youtube Channel for multiple English Spoken tutorials:
    <url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrMuxltq5mlcMjf6h7qrKzQ">BakieGaming YouTube Channel</url>
    Bakie wrote: »
    > @JBEAR1 said:<br />
    > "I use the F5 key too, when placing objects. This makes it possible to place things on a 1/4 tile."<br />
    > What's this now? o_0<br />
    > <br />
    > This changes everything...<br />
    <br />
    Or you can just hold the Alt, then you can place freely... :smiley: <br />
    <br />
    @Mstybl95 said:<br />
    > <br />
    > I am enjoying the move objects mod, but I have a serious issue with it. I usually build in a build only save and then transfer the lot to the different save that I play in. However, with that mod, none of the furniture ever transfers with it. Only wall hangings will be there. I love the mod, but seriously considering removing it.<br />
    <br />
    Ow, I don't have a save mode for only building (yet), but I can imagine this is very annoying. Have you mentioned this in the download thread over at mts? Maybe he can fix this. I'm glad I know this though, so I won't make the same "mistake".

Do things placed freely stay there when people download?
    They don't. I have downloaded several lots and even my own and the ones that have objects overlapping always deletes all of the furniture (except stuff hanging on the walls). I just removed the mod earlier and found that there wasn't much overlapping. About 7 things ended up in my inventory, but the good news is that I can place the lots between saves and just a few things have changed. The idea of the mod is awesome, but it just isn't working out. Many people have mentioned the problems at MTS.
  • SparkleSparkle Posts: 1,476 Member
    So glad I stumbled across this thread - some really cool stuff in here :D

The cabinets used for the media centre and desk are also really good for creating built in wardrobes/vanity in bedrooms too :)

09-08-14_12-09nbspAM.jpg

The MOO mod sounds awesome but one reason I haven't bothered downloading it is that I figured it wouldn't work on gallery transfers given the games love of auto deleting over lapping items. I'm surprised it doesn't work within the creators own game though :(

Origin: sparklesim | Twitter | Facebook | Click below to read about my Sims 4 Hood
    SparkleSimsSig2.png
  • KaylyRedKaylyRed Posts: 309 Member
    Great thread - I love all the ideas. I have nothing to share that hasn't already been brought up at the moment, but maybe I'll post some outdoor landscaping ideas later. :D
    Download the Americana Series! Sears catalog kit homes and more from 20thCentury America. Additional manors and community builds in my Showcase Thread.| Origin ID: KaylyRed

• SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    Bookmarked! I love the ideas here. They're beautiful! <3
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Yeah, I have to chime in here and say that while I wanted to love the MOO mod, it just caused me some serious grief and rework. It seems like it works very inconsistently right now. I'm going to wait for a cheat from EA (and hope that it comes soon).
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • AmbsSimAmbsSim Posts: 118 Member
    I love this thread, really great ideas! Not sure if I'll ever be able to contribute anything, but I'm definitely bookmarking this. Thank you everyone for the great tips! :D