Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4: Online Friends Multiplayer Expansion?

Comments

• Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Once upon a time there existed Sims Online (also known as EA-Land). 2002, I think? I beta tested for it, then hung around a bit after it went live. Did not like. I was constantly being approached for c.ybers.ex (do they still use that term?). Very annoying and distasteful, particularly as I was a grown woman with children in college and those approaching me sounded like they were about 16 :-p Then some sort of "gang rivalry" broke out. That's when I quit. Never again.
  • Options
    snootypatootysnootypatooty Posts: 499 Member
    @MsPhy that was exactly my point in my previous replay it was totally distasteful with the type of players it attracted
    The mind will ever be unstable that has only prejudices to rest on, and the current will run with destructive fury when there are no barriers to break its force.
    My website bit.ly/185bQS My Chat website bit.ly/1NiCwCb My Blog bit.ly/OuqF0Y
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    MsPhy wrote: »
    Once upon a time there existed Sims Online (also known as EA-Land). 2002, I think? I beta tested for it, then hung around a bit after it went live. Did not like. I was constantly being approached for c.ybers.ex (do they still use that term?). Very annoying and distasteful, particularly as I was a grown woman with children in college and those approaching me sounded like they were about 16 :-p Then some sort of "gang rivalry" broke out. That's when I quit. Never again.

It was with The Sims Original and my Dad game tested it, too so I wonder what the testers were like. He's a great guy but he doesn't play games. Makes me laugh every time I hear about TS online and testers. :lol:

It was out and active for several years. :)

It's decades later, there's more than what that game had then... to what it could be now.
  • Options
    songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member
    I never played Sims Online. Was it worse than the travesty of the app game?
  • Options

Not really comparable. It would be like comparing Sims 1 to any of the later versions (pick your favorite). You were supposed to go into business with others and make stuff ... cupcakes? pizza? I can't remember what else. You could buy a house and stuff. There weren't goals that I can remember. It was supposed to be a collaborative thing.
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    If many (not saying "ALL ") people are having lag and crash issues, due to the gallery, can you imagine the issues multiplayer might face ?

The only times I ever had Sims 3 crash, was trying to access "player wall" -
    (and I had ALL 21 discs installed, and ALL the Store and Worlds)
    So the thought of "Online play" for Sims 4 , has me at a HUGE "NO!".

* Sims 4 Multiplayer = Animal Crossing : City Folk *
    (joking)

Think of the mess that could happen from future patches,...whether we buy that expansion, or not ...
  • Options
    baddazonerbaddazoner Posts: 573 Member
    edited October 2014

those "gangs" formed because people were so bored of the game that trolling and griefing other players ended up being more challenging and fun

they could of made the game work had they added a lot more content and made it more than a game where you just worked on skills and the only goal was to have a house in the top 10 houses

• Options

Not really comparable. It would be like comparing Sims 1 to any of the later versions (pick your favorite). You were supposed to go into business with others and make stuff ... cupcakes? pizza? I can't remember what else. You could buy a house and stuff. There weren't goals that I can remember. It was supposed to be a collaborative thing.

Thanks. I tried the app game when I finally upgraded to a smart phone (I know; I'm a cheapskate) played that for about 15 minutes and then removed it. It spent far too much time instructing me what to do instead of letting me play. Hmmm.
  • Options
    white_lily_1988white_lily_1988 Posts: 1,664 Member
    I would never play a Sims game if it was an online game
  • Options
    keobookskeobooks Posts: 103 Member
    Am I the only one here who actually liked TSO? I liked the skilling contests and the group games. The only thing I didn't like was once I found out my favorite outfit from the costume trunk was the nude suit if you had the nudity mod. I was walking around naked in people's games for several weeks and nobody told me.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    No. I play the sims to get away from real people. I post on the forums when I want to be around crazy people.

oh_hell_no_cat.jpg
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    The Sims 4 was originally designed to be an mmorpg, much like the original The Sims Online. They abandoned the idea when Sim City bombed (always being online and being multiplayer). So, that's how come we got the Sims 4 the way it is...stripped down and basic because it was originally designed to be online and only for Young Adults. No, they're not going to revisit this again; the Sims 4 isn't doing all that great because EA, as usual, underestimated the quality of The Sims' fans and they thought they were catering to teens...well, they were wrong.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    constanceconstance Posts: 1,379 Member
    Nah I'm good off that playa'. My game is my game only.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I prefer to play by myself, so no thanks.
  • Options
    NaydiNaydi Posts: 387 Member
    Does anyone remember TSO, The Sims Online? It was a nice concept, but in reality, it was a nightmare! The main problem was the other live players. When you have a forum (like this, and TSO) you have to deal with a lot of drama and it requires a lot of moderation. I had a 13 year old threaten to come to my house and kill me because I moved out of our shared apartment in TSO. I was 40+ years old at the time. Seriously.
    This I do for the fun of it.
    • My Sims 4 Blog with Custom Content and Commentary is at Celynoir
    • Get my Custom Content at The Sims 4 Noir and Mod the Sims.
    • More downloads, houses and Sims, are available in the Gallery, under Naydi33.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    I would have to say no.

And if they ever did make this as an EP, I would not buy it. Never install it and have nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    NaydiNaydi Posts: 387 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    The Sims 4 was originally designed to be an mmorpg, much like the original The Sims Online. They abandoned the idea when Sim City bombed (always being online and being multiplayer). So, that's how come we got the Sims 4 the way it is...stripped down and basic because it was originally designed to be online and only for Young Adults. No, they're not going to revisit this again; the Sims 4 isn't doing all that great because EA, as usual, underestimated the quality of The Sims' fans and they thought they were catering to teens...well, they were wrong.

It is telling that SimCity was quick to come out with a single player version.
    This I do for the fun of it.
    • My Sims 4 Blog with Custom Content and Commentary is at Celynoir
    • Get my Custom Content at The Sims 4 Noir and Mod the Sims.
    • More downloads, houses and Sims, are available in the Gallery, under Naydi33.
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    A LAN party would probably work. Imagine: playing with your friends next to you in a slumber party etc etc. The only problem is some strangers/neighbors might join you
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Jimil wrote: »
    A LAN party would probably work. Imagine: playing with your friends next to you in a slumber party etc etc. The only problem is some strangers/neighbors might join you

This one time, at band camp .....
  • Options
    Naydi wrote: »
    Does anyone remember TSO, The Sims Online? It was a nice concept, but in reality, it was a nightmare! The main problem was the other live players. When you have a forum (like this, and TSO) you have to deal with a lot of drama and it requires a lot of moderation. I had a 13 year old threaten to come to my house and kill me because I moved out of our shared apartment in TSO. I was 40+ years old at the time. Seriously.

Ack! That's terrible! At least I never got any death threats. I guess I left at the right time.
  • Options
    I could see limited play, for instance, a small group of friends who might want to play together with their own families interacting, etc. Still not sure how that would work. Imagine how much someone could mess with your sims when you weren't there. I think it's best it stay single player.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    It could work, it just would need to be a spin off type game instead of an expansion pack. They essentially would need to reevaluate what features are in and out of the game, certain features don't work well when they depend on internet servers to load.

However, seeing as The Sims 4 was originally designed to be online and then it was cancelled and reworked at the last possible moment; I wouldn't hold my breath for MAXIS to release any online versions of The Sims anytime soon. It's a good idea, it just needs a market to work, but unfortunately the majority of the market that plays The Sims is not interested in an online game. Too many quality downgrades as a result of internet restrictions.
  • Options
    sammlynn364sammlynn364 Posts: 82 Member
    Is it possible? Yes, I'm sure- that being said, please EA never make a Sims game online/multi-player!! It would absolutely ruin the Sims for me, and I've been playing since the original Sims was released. Simcity was bad enough being online based, and I never played that with anyone else.

If you want an online game similar to Sims play Second Life or IMVU, something like that I suppose. I've never tried either one, but I think they're both supposed to be kind of like Sims.
  • Options
    KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    No way I want a Sims MMO. Just no. It would turn out to be like Second Life. I'm an avid MMOer. If you want to play an MMO with friends, there are a lot out there with all sorts of settings and timelines.

The Sims 4 was supposed to end up as an online game and the backlash was so huge, they had to back out.
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    I'd buy the ability to play this game with my friends in a heartbeat.