Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Côtes d'Ambonnay - a French Medieval World - FEATURED*

Comments

• Options
    azul662azul662 Posts: 222 Member
    edited February 2014
    xSorcier wrote:

Azul, Dragon Valley is not just about dragons. It is about medieval stuff including build/buy objects, clothes and Rabbit Holes. We didn't use any dragons in Côtes d'Ambonnay! This world is about Medieval France, the real one.

I know Reach won't mind me copying part of a post she wrote for those instructions because she needs me to get back to work. ;-)

Without DV you will be missing some rabbit holes, mainly. You may have to replace some of them but you can add them to basements and just add a simple structure on top with double or triple wide stairs to the basement. Take a look at the Hospital and you can see how Reach did it on that lot, if you aren't sure how to do it already. For that lot, however, Reach wanted to create a real hospital from medieval times and so it's a fully built lot but yours need not be so.

The best thing to do is to load the world and take a look around. Even if it took you a week to change some things, it took us eight months to build all those lots so it seems it would be still be worth it to go to that bit of trouble. Good luck!

I know DV isn't about dragons - but I didn't know if my sims would automatically get dragons in their inventory, and then all of a sudden there's dragons everywhere, that would drive me nuts - but any case - I downloaded your world, and purchased DV.

Thank you for creating this beautiful world and sharing it with us.
  • Options
    xSorcierxSorcier Posts: 346 Member
    edited February 2014
    Azul, you're welcome :D The only way for you to have dragons in the game is if you buy them for your Sim or download and install a Sim that has one. Either way, they do not procreate and can simply be deleted if you end up with one.
    Thanks a lot for the download and the rec! Most appreciated. Have fun :)
    *I recently changed my origin ID from levijeronimo to xSorcier.
  • Options
    DiancarockDiancarock Posts: 563 Member
    edited February 2014
    I downloaded this world because it has created such a buzz on tumblr and other sims communities that are outside of the forums. And I'm impressed. This world looks really authentic and it's just beautiful. The terrain painting, the builds, everything is flawless. I downloaded traffic from Twallan's site, so I can play without cars. But I'm having a hard time trying to come up with a way on how to actually play the world. It's so beautiful, and honestly it doesn't even look like a sims world, it looks like a completely different game. :shock: So could you guys or anyone else who's playing the world give me some tips on some storylines to use? It's just so beautiful, and I want to experience it the way it was meant to be experienced...Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2014
    The Sims that were donated seem to help with story lines as the creators have some good stories for all their creations. So they may help. Google has a lot of helpful real stories of that period that also might color ideas for you.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Hmmm, yes I saw all the lovely sims people have donated for this world. I'll take a look into dowloading some of them. Although I'm scared to download sims through the launcher. I prefer my sims in a .sim file... Only because I've downloaded sims before that had things attached to them. But I'll check them out..How do you guys get past the cell phone problem? :lol:
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2014
    Reach has checked all these sims personally and there is no CC or any attachments of any kind - believe me they are more careful than any one I have ever seen.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited February 2014
    Diancarock I like .sim files too, but knowing Reach and xSorcier they will all be clean.

That said, if it still bothers you, you can run them through Custard again, yourself, or you can download Sims3 Package Extractor, and extract the sim from the sims 3 pack, making sure to change the file extension from .package, to .sim if they're individual sims.
    I honestly don't think that will be necessary though.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'm downloading the majority now, and I'm going to see how that turns out. I have register so I'm hoping that they can be used as npc's since they're already dressed in the theme clothing. And then create my own sims to play with. Is this how you guys are keeping to the theme of the world? Or is there some other mod out there that I'm unaware of? Can I make cell phones go away in this world using a mod? I did read the information the creators provided, but I didn't see any suggestions for the questions I am asking.
  • Options
    JodiRebbyJodiRebby Posts: 1,649 Member
    edited February 2014

Reach, xSorcier is brilliant and so are you. ;)

Both of you are welcome! :D

So to play in the world, the Save file contains lots that you can add to it, right? And what's the NPC Save file for?? To provide a version of the world that has all the 'right' NPCs? :lol:
  • Options
    ReachsimsReachsims Posts: 7,932 Member
    edited February 2014
    Hi Diancarock! Thank you for the comments! I'm not sure how to answer your question about story lines. A good number of the lots have story lines written into them and as Reg kindly mentioned, so do many of the Sims that were created for the world. Her suggestion of using Google to find real stories from history is a good one. We built this world on the basis of history and Google was there with us behind the scenes through the entire process.

As for clean Sims, I am not the only one who is checking the Sims through Custard because I can make mistakes. xSorcier checks them also and Sharonxyz makes a point to check them all for us as well and let us know if we missed something. Any Sim listed in the Bank of Households has been looked at by at least three people and is certified clean before it's added to that list. But don't trust us. Please check them for yourself. It's an excellent habit. :D

I do what Pary suggested, and extract the Sims from the Sims3.Pack into .package files, etc... so they can just be added to the appropriate folders. I no longer use the Launcher for anything except to install worlds, a pattern, content from the Sims 3 Store or to remove the same.

I am unaware of anything out there to remove cell phones and I probably wouldn't be interested if there was. Sims were designed as modern characters and need the ability to connect socially in a convenient manner without having to saddle up a horse and ride across town for a 30 minute chat with a friend. Our main concern was limiting the amount of vehicles on the road - a much more visible eyesore - and we did that by not supplying a single parking space in the entire world. By the same token, because we have roads, all game play can run as intended, the car pool, the school bus, and etc... I think we've made a good compromise with game mechanics. I choose to ignore what I cannot change. Cell phones are in that group.

In closing, I would say this. Even in an EA world, it's not that much fun until you make it your own. Sometimes that means placing a few of your own favorite lots or your own favorite Sims or adding content to EA's minimally furnished lots. A house is not a home until we make it so, right? :D

Reg and Pary, thanks for helping to answer questions! :D

Jodi - I'll address your questions in a separate post.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    JodiRebby wrote:
    So to play in the world, the Save file contains lots that you can add to it, right? And what's the NPC Save file for?? To provide a version of the world that has all the 'right' NPCs? :lol:

Thank you, Jodi! You are a sweet heart! :D

The editor in me is having trouble with your first question so I'll just say a whole lot of stuff here which perhaps you already know but some other players might find helpful.

So, we're talking about the Save File. Let's start at the beginning. Let's assume we just bought a new EP or an EA world called Bangkok. We want to edit the town first of all to add professional bars to the drinking establishments because we know EA never does that (except for in LN's Bridgeport). So we add our bars and place a few favorite lots and perhaps add some more fun stuff to the park. Then we save the town because we don't want to have to do this every time we start a new game in this world. For myself, to keep it simple, I name the new town BZ - Bangkok. BZ just stands for Building Zone. That is a Save File. Now if I simply opened up the world of Bangkok and did nothing but saved it, that also would be a Save File. If you save your game, you have created a Save File.

For Côtes d'Ambonnay - the Save File I created includes the following types of things -

♦ The Weather Stone is placed.
    ♦ A University podium is added to one park in the Badlands for rowdy rebel protests. We already have one at City Hall but we wanted to add the second one because it fits the character of the Badlands.
    ♦ The Portuguese Caravel is docked to her home port at the docks of Sarlat.
    ♦ A upgraded stereo is added to the gym.
    ♦ The Adventure Board is properly placed at the Troubadour Inn Bed & Breakfast base camp.
    ♦ A second inscription plaque is added, with text, to the ruins found on Beauharnais to alleviate any possible confusion, as in, What's supposed to be here?
    ♦ Terrain is altered on a couple lots to match new sidewalks in the docks of Sarlat area.
    ♦ An unroutable chair is properly placed.
    ♦ A floating wall torch is moved to the correct position.
    ♦ Missing ceiling paint on one lot has been added.
    ♦ Flyaway ceiling tiles on four or five lots have been removed.
    ♦ A missing wall-covering is added and another one is altered.

Most importantly -

♦ Six lots in the world file are replaced with the same lots with various upgrades. That includes some upgraded nectar presses or other modifications. Best of all perhaps, perfect plants replace the Buydebug plants in Isolde's Garden.
    ♦ The completed dive lots are installed, rather than empty dive lots as in the world file.
    ♦ Every lot in the world has its front of lot set. This is not essential but is helpful for game play and is something that EIG now breaks.

As you can see, some of these things have some significant value and others, not so much but even the little edits satisfy the perfectionist in xSorcier and me. :XD:

~~~~~~~~~~~

The NPC Save File that's now in the works, is based upon the same Save File I created and adds to it properly attired NPCs in assigned jobs to cover what is necessary for the town to run per Sims 3's game mechanics. It is a wonderful addition because once installed, we will see our newspaper delivery children, mail carriers, repair mechanics, butlers, maids, shopkeepers and etc... dressed in clothes for our world. Only when the Sims age up will they be in the wrong clothing but that can be addressed by the player and cannot be addressed by us.

In closing, the Save File is important for world edits and the NPC Save File adds to that, NPC Sims. Neither of these files are necessary to play the world, but beneficial to world aesthetics and ambiance. We could have waited to release the world until the NPC Save File was ready (and there would be less confusion) but everyone would have had to wait longer for the world and we noticed that you guys didn't like waiting too much. :XD:
  • Options
    ClayworldClayworld Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited February 2014
    Such a great world! I love all the pictures. Alas, I have a literature review and a number of tutoring summaries due today, so not much time to play.

I'd like to suggest that you post the instructions on how to completely uninstall the beta on the first page, it can be a bit tricky, you have to remove the file in the "installed worlds" folder if I'm not mistaken.

It will be a while before I can really dive in and create more builds and sims for the world, but I do plan to. It will be my reward for getting my work done. Thanks again to everyone for your hard work in creating a place to get away from the troubles of life for a little while.

So here, in no particular order are some random shots from the beta version.

Screenshot-833_small_zps41e11c63.jpg

Screenshot-832_small_zps1de0ae07.jpg

Screenshot-831_zps05da62da.jpg

Screenshot-830_small_zps93014264.jpg
    Love the vampires!

Screenshot-829_small_zps593afccc.jpg
    Awesome creepy family, the Gravediggers.

Screenshot-827_small_zps32498d7a.jpg
    Such a beautiful world!

Screenshot-809_zps5333e060.jpg

Screenshot-823_zpsa8acd101.jpg
    Let them eat cake!

Screenshot-825_zps82fe1b1f.jpg

Screenshot-818_zpsb80c0c30.jpg

Screenshot-822_zpscc748774.jpg
    Maybe she'll keep her head...

Screenshot-821_zpsf005435d.jpg

Screenshot-796_zpse07644db.jpg
    Beautiful, but dangerous werewolf.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    cherid87120cherid87120 Posts: 2,823 Member
    edited February 2014
    I am playing with the Save File. I haven't explored everything yet as I am still populating the world with the created sims that these wonderful simmers have made.

It is so nice having a world with all the expansions already included in the builds. It is always so cumbersome to add professional bars and other items and premium content from the store. And the builds in this world is amazing. There is also so much room for the individual person to customize and put their own touches into the world also.

The thing that is striking me so differently with this world is that the Sims are almost immediately gravitating towards the parks and community lots. In all my other EA worlds the sims either just stand around or don't go out much. Since I have Twallan's SP extra mod I can see all the tags and the Sims are everywhere. It is amazing.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Thank you, Reachsims. Hope my question wasn't already answered and I've missed it somehow or else worded it strangely! :XD: It makes sense now. Silly me I realised :oops: Sorry. Because it (the save file) said stuff, I thought it means there will be some extras to the world. :XD: Sounds really great; I'll be playing with the save file then and am looking forward to the NPC save file. :D Nothing wrong with some edits. 8) And I don't mind tweaking with the world myself a bit here and there. Oddly enough, it's a lot of fun so I don't mind having to change the clothing or anything. :XD:

Dive lots; my heroes! :D

P.S Wouldn't have time to play right away and I still haven't got all the store content needed but I will enjoy it tremendously I'm sure. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Clayworld wrote:
    I'd like to suggest that you post the instructions on how to completely uninstall the beta on the first page, it can be a bit tricky, you have to remove the file in the "installed worlds" folder if I'm not mistaken.
    Good luck with all the work you have, Clayworld, and thanks for the screenshots. We always love seeing them. :mrgreen:

I posted instructions already for uninstalling the Beta but will post them again and ask xSorcier about adding them to the first page.

1. Save the Sims, households or lots you want to save. Quit the game.

2. Open the Launcher and uninstall the Côtes d'Ambonnay Beta. This will remove the world from the InstalledWorlds folder and any Save file you have in your Saves folder. Close your Launcher.

3. Open up your The Sims 3 folder and delete the FIVE Cache files. Open up the WorldCaches folder and delete the Cache files there. Open up the Saves and delete the Côtes d'Ambonnay Beta.sims3.backup that remains there.

4. If you are using the Save File, place it in the Saves folder.

5. Download and install Côtes d'Ambonnay through the Launcher. Leave a rec, please. We earned it. :XD:

6. Defrag your PC and Play.

EDIT: The information was already posted on the day of release and is found here and was already added to the OP, at the top of the page, at the same time. :wink: Nevertheless, the above list of instructions is more detailed for those who may require it.

~~~~~~~

Cherid - Thank you so much for sharing that! We love good news! *Hugs* :D

Jodi - No problem and no apology necessary! Even though I had talked about that several times, I needed to post that information anyway, as a sort of final tally to what's included in the Save file that was not in the world. :wink:
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Thanks. :XD: :mrgreen: You're gracious and awesome. :thumbup:
  • Options
    Starsaphire2Starsaphire2 Posts: 315 Member
    edited February 2014
    Wish I could leave 100 recommendations! You guys did indeed earn them. :thumbup:

Yes, you are correct. We do seem to be an impatient rabble of simmers, clamoring at the city gates. Can you hear the chanting? "Where is that NPC save? When will it be released by the King?" :mrgreen: All joking aside (and trying hard not to be pushy :oops: cuz I know real life comes first) but is there an ETA on the file?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thank you, Jodi and Star - :mrgreen:

I can only hazard a guess and will leave it to xSorcier to confirm, but I would guess that within about a week the NPC Save File would be made available.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited February 2014
    Just touching on the rec thing....

I know not everyone who downloads will read this thread, but if you do, and you download, please don't forget to rec Reach and xSorcier's glorious work, that they have shared with all of us. To date, 1215 downloads and only 167 recs :(

The same goes for any world creator, who puts their time, effort, heart and soul into the worlds they make and share. Show them you appreciate their efforts and that their time hasn't been wasted ! :D
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    Anna_vel_annAAnna_vel_annA Posts: 36 Member
    edited February 2014
    THIS IS AMAZING WORK!!! U ARE A STARS!!! :shock:
  • Options
    Imagamerkitty12Imagamerkitty12 Posts: 111 Member
    edited February 2014
    Hello Again,

lol i got to the point where i could download it and.......

I was speechless!It loaded extremely fast and lag less it works with the EP I have,

Anyway CONTGRATS ON GETTING IT COMPLETED DOWNLOADED AND REC'D :)

Thank You for an amazing world!

God Bless,
    Kitty <3
  • Options
    sharonxyzsharonxyz Posts: 811 Member
    edited February 2014
    Some very special observations were just made that may not have been locked to the first page, and what I refer to follows:

Cotes d'Ambonnay, despite its intricacy and detail, runs extremely well on most level computers and does not require computer upgrades!!

This is unique in CAW worlds (often) and bears mentioning.

I also wish to add that while there is no set 'store content' list, the sets referred to on the first post are by no means inclusive of all content. A set may include just a certain bed or chairs and it is so customizable that a player can use whatever content they wish to furnish. Many homes are not fully furnished, except for kitchens and baths (somewhat like buying a house in RL) and this means fewer proxies and lots more choice. Many houses can have a range of bedrooms depending on as needed, allowing for the biggest or smallest families.

One good reason to have homes without beds at the start? EA spawned npcs will not just move in and take over your town. This is especially nice if you wish to clothe your sims for the time period.

Just a few observations I thought may give ideas to this wonderfully creative community :)
  • Options
    sharonxyzsharonxyz Posts: 811 Member
    edited February 2014
    This post offers a few ideas on using the bank of households included on the first post. I am one of the contributors with a bunch of households and sims, so I will use my sims as examples:

If you are like me, and your computer lags if every house is full of skilled families, that can be changed easily. I invite you to put any of my sims in CAS and save them to CAS. THEN, they can be exported as singles or families as desired, and changed as desired. If you like the clothes but don't want the traits I chose or any witches for example, here you can customize them.

I rather like the idea of a player taking whichever sims appeal to them and making their 'ideal' household, mixing and matching as you wish. Making several households, some single, some small families, or what ever make up you desire, they can be exported from CAS and popped into houses you choose, and have starting families without all the data found in highly skilled households.

A nice plus is you can look at the empty homes you like in edit town view, and add a few beds and cribs as needed and your sims have a home ready to play. There is actually an advantage to having few if any skill items at home: community lots are loaded with skill items, for example the library, and this promotes a sense of community as sims will not just hide in their homes but need to go to community lots and thus made friends and find activities. It's great fun to see people walking or running about.

Mods can be overwhelming and if you are someone who wishes to play without, then enjoy! Simply controlling a household for a few minutes will let you get jobs for the adults and then they will be part of town, working and living.

Just some tips from me for ways to approach playing an unpopulated world. If you like more drama, mess with the traits of people while they are in CAS and that will certainly open doors to storylines. EA usually does just that, they put married couples in worlds that are just not compatible and let you deal with solving their issues.

Most importantly, have fun and know that you cannot play incorrectly, but you CAN play YOUR WAY :D
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Star, Anna and Kitty - Thank you! :D

xSorcier and I hope to have the NPC Save File ready by the end of this week. Thank God it's only Monday, right now. :XD: You can consider that confirmed with xSorcier.

Pary - Thank you! I can speak for myself. If someone downloads something I've made, their rec is a thank you. If someone looks at my work and doesn't want to use it but leaves a rec for the piece because of its merit, that is appreciated just as much. In addition to what you stated it costs to build a world, there's often some blood, sweat and tears involved as well. I doubt very many creators feel differently. Expressing gratitude is always a wise way to live and it's also beneficial to offer a pat on the back sometimes.

Sharon - Thank you for adding your observations. Yes, homes without beds are a great way to limit EA's hideously dressed spawned Sims in your world. We were not being lazy and leaving some homes unfurnished. That was the plan!

As for loading the community lots with skill objects - xSorcier and I both like to make the community lot a fun place to visit and a place to learn some skills. We don't want 10 large skill items in our houses. It doesn't even make sense. In real life, one might go the pottery studio to work but doesn't *always* have a potter's wheel in his house. Another one... how many people do you know who actually own a workout bench and have one in their homes? In America, most people don't own those things but go to the gym to work out. So, we tried to keep most of our homes small, like they really are and always have been and not turn the homes into fun factories which no basis in reality except for in the homes of the very wealthiest people in the world. Those people don't live in Côtes d'Ambonnay and we didn't build it for people like that anyway.

Wait! Am I getting my people and Sims mixed up again? :XD: Thanks again Sharon for sharing your insights. I did not comment on all of them but your posts are most helpful and offer a lot of really good tips.

*Great big Medieval hugs to all* as Brenna says!
  • Options
    Starsaphire2Starsaphire2 Posts: 315 Member
    edited February 2014
    xSorcier and I hope to have the NPC Save File ready by the end of this week. Thank God it's only Monday, right now. You can consider that confirmed with xSorcier.

*And the crowd goes wild -- Cheers! -- and there is dancing in the streets of Cotes d'Ambonnay -- highborn and peasants alike throw kisses to the creators.*

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top