Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too cartoony? Seriously?

Comments

• Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited August 2013
    Penelope wrote:
    I agree that the hair can be better. I like the basic style, but it needs a more natural texture so it doesn't look like plastic Lego hair.

However, I respectfully disagree about your comments about the eyes, eyebrows and eyeliner. I think all of that looks great.

Very nicely said. Glad you like the eyes etc. even though I don't.

I'm rather hoping that what we're seeing is the TS4 Sims on the lowest resolution and textures offered by the game for people with older computers and lower specs. Sure would be nice to have the option to turn up all the graphics if our computers can handle it.
  • Options
    Pandagirl9449Pandagirl9449 Posts: 911 Member
    edited August 2013
    "so you don't like the way the new Sims look? Huh!? Well guess what I'M gonna do about that? I'm gonna buy the game next year because it's a waste of time worrying about how other people view the game, especially when they aren't the ones buying it for me." <-- my inner thoughts.

Pandagirl out
  • Options
    lis95lis95 Posts: 332 Member
    edited August 2013
    I really didn't like the cartoony look when I first saw the pictures - to the point where it may have been a deal breaker. However I can honestly say that the sims shown have grown on me. I'm loving the look of the new CAS, being able to click and drag. I always struggled with creating what I really had in mind with the sims 3's sliders for facial features and this looks much easier for those that can't quite create what they want to.

However I will say that the hair hasn't grown on me all that much. It does look very plastic and like it will all move as one when the head is moved separately to the body, which is something that had always bothered me in the the sims 3 and I'd hoped would change in the sims 4. I understand it's not supposed to be too realistic, but this is just something that really bugs me!
  • Options
    SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    edited August 2013
    I think the Sims 4 does look too cartoony. I like cartoony, but in the style of Sims 2. The Sims in the Sims 4 do remind me of Sims Social and Sims FreePlay. Sort of like if they took the Sims Social and Sims FreePlay and merged them together.
    Sims Social
    [img]http://www.insidesocialgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/the-sims-social.png "height=350" "width=600"[/img]
    Sims FreePlay
    [img]http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news-700/Download-The-Sims-FreePlay-3-7-0-iOS.jpg?1374146395 "height=350" "width=600"[/img]
    Sims 4
    [img]http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/33/1376596459-the-sims-4.png "height=350" "width=600"[/img]
    I'm really not fond of those eyelashes...nor the hair.
    [img]http://images.vg247.com/current//2013/08/the_sims_4_11.jpg "height=350" "width=600"[/img]

I understand that these graphics may not be final, but I'm just saying what I think of the graphics so far. The community is just giving their feedback about the graphics. It kind of lets EA know what direction a lot of the community would like the Sims 4 to go in. One thing I will say that I like about the new sims' appearance is their actaul eyes. The pupils aren't oversized and look normal.
  • Options
    FlairFlair Posts: 291 New Member
    edited August 2013
    OMG SimChic1 I love your signature!
    SO CUTE!
  • Options
    zanesaaomgfanzanesaaomgfan Posts: 1,469 Member
    edited August 2013
    Everyone uses this picture, but two of those Sims are finished. One is not. Can't compare them.
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited August 2013
    It does look like Sim Social which is very disappointing! You would think that Sims 4 would be an advancement but this is a serious step backwards! :cry:
  • Options
    darkraven1753darkraven1753 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited August 2013
    I simply can't go from this (Sims 2 with custom content):

gPR1J24.png

ThDDc4n.png

XxZPp1i.png

To this:

F2dAhkK.jpg

aWHLvIO.jpg

2CfC8Wb.jpg

No, thanks.

I expected TS4 to at least look better than TS2 with CC. I wanted to have less crazy, exaggerated facial expressions, not more!

ETA: I do wish I could have the TS4 CAS for my CC TS2 Sims, though. It does look like it would be great if the graphics were just more realistic.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    SimChic1 wrote:
    I think the Sims 4 does look too cartoony. I like cartoony, but in the style of Sims 2. The Sims in the Sims 4 do remind me of Sims Social and Sims FreePlay. Sort of like if they took the Sims Social and Sims FreePlay and merged them together.
    Sims Social
    [img]http://www.insidesocialgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/the-sims-social.png "height=350" "width=600"[/img]

That's exactly what it reminds me of. They're "cute," but that's not what I wanted from TS4. The cute look is fine for casual games, but I think we need something a lot better for a life simulator that people use for making machinima and telling creative, often serious, grown-up stories.
  • Options
    hannahpracticehannahpractice Posts: 103 Member
    edited August 2013
    I dunno, i'm kinda in the middle of everybody's opinions here haha

Pro's in my opinion
    Eyes,
    Bodies,
    Faces,
    Neighbourhood,
    Build/Buy,
    New UI (I seem to be the only one who loves this!)

Con's in my opinion
    Lack of 3D Eyelashes
    Lack of CASt!! :cry: :x
    Hair

But honestly, the only main problem i have with what i've seen so far is in fact the hair. It looks bad bad bad. I could deal with it once i've got my hands on the game because i'm more into the story telling and the gameplay... but yeah, I sincerely hope they sort out the texturing on that hair. Like other's have said, it really does look like someone's plonked down some lego hair onto them. :shock:
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited August 2013
    SimChic1 wrote:
    Sims Social

That's exactly what it reminds me of. They're "cute," but that's not what I wanted from TS4. The cute look is fine for casual games, but I think we need something a lot better for a life simulator that people use for making machinima and telling creative, often serious, grown-up stories.

The sims 4 strangely looks quite like the sims social :?
    What if they removed The Sims social from Facebook to,ale it a full game :shock: :lol:
  • Options
    75aba75din75aba75din Posts: 69 New Member
    edited August 2013
    BeASimmer wrote:
    2i7wuaf.jpg

Now explain to me how this TS4 sim looks more "cartoony" than the previous two? Because I don't get the complaints here. "OMG it's like The Sims Social, it's wayyy too cartoony and animated! This is baddd!" :roll:

I mean yeah, the hair needs serious work, but the face is obviously an improvement.

They need to fix the hair so we have a real good looking CAS.
  • Options
    rawrmaegansmilerawrmaegansmile Posts: 240 Member
    edited August 2013
    Instead of worrying about how a game looks one full year before it's going to be released, can we talk about how AWESOME the new body shaping is!?

Sliders are the worst thing ever, it's going to be SO much easier to change up Sims and make them more unique.
    xoxo
  • Options
    ShiverGirlShiverGirl Posts: 252 New Member
    edited August 2013

gPR1J24.png

ThDDc4n.png

XxZPp1i.png

To this:

F2dAhkK.jpg

aWHLvIO.jpg

2CfC8Wb.jpg

No, thanks.

I expected TS4 to at least look better than TS2 with CC. I wanted to have less crazy, exaggerated facial expressions, not more!

ETA: I do wish I could have the TS4 CAS for my CC TS2 Sims, though. It does look like it would be great if the graphics were just more realistic.

You're comparing a non-finished product, with a finished product FILLED with CC. How is that fair? Take all of it off and doesn't look as good as the sims 4, like the picture above.
  • Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 316 New Member
    edited August 2013
    ShiverGirl wrote:

gPR1J24.png

ThDDc4n.png

XxZPp1i.png

To this:

F2dAhkK.jpg

aWHLvIO.jpg

2CfC8Wb.jpg

No, thanks.

You're comparing a non-finished product, with a finished product FILLED with CC. How is that fair? Take all of it off and doesn't look as good as the sims 4, like the picture above.

I think the point here is that if this is achievable with the Sims 2 (and yes using CC's) then why could this not be more where TS4 started.

• Options
    EmzyDalsvidaEmzyDalsvida Posts: 15,617 Member
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited August 2013
    I dunno, i'm kinda in the middle of everybody's opinions here haha

Pro's in my opinion
    Eyes,
    Bodies,
    Faces,
    Neighbourhood,
    Build/Buy,
    New UI (I seem to be the only one who loves this!)

Con's in my opinion
    Lack of 3D Eyelashes
    Lack of CASt!! :cry: :x
    Hair

But honestly, the only main problem i have with what i've seen so far is in fact the hair. It looks bad bad bad. I could deal with it once i've got my hands on the game because i'm more into the story telling and the gameplay... but yeah, I sincerely hope they sort out the texturing on that hair. Like other's have said, it really does look like someone's plonked down some lego hair onto them. :shock:

I agree with you.

Though i still got hopes for sims 4, one of the simmers who went on the sim camp said the devs said they still on an early development stage so things could still greatly improve. But i really want a mature look for my sims..
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Salem wrote:
    I think the point here is that if this is achievable with the Sims 2 (and yes using CC's) then why could this not be more where TS4 started.

Exactly! Even without CC TS4 should look remarkably better than its 10-year-old predecessor!

Jf4zn.png

v67Nzv7l.jpg

I expected what I have in TS2, only better! When compared to my CC TS2 game, TS4 really does look like a cartoon.

If only I could have better animations and TS4's CAS in my TS2 game... :(
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Those stupid expressions - crossed eyes, turned in knees, goofy and childish facial expressions just imitates the direction they are going with the looks.

And that is what is the most concerning. Yeah they maybe ok, not my style but hey they may get some polish before release but it is the big picture that scares me.

They won't change their mind-set on the direction of the game, like 'Oh this is going to be so much fun!!! heel kicks (new emotion) I'm going rock collecting' Pfft

Put it all together the whole feel of what I've seen is screaming 'The Wiggles'

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Those stupid expressions - crossed eyes, turned in knees, goofy and childish facial expressions just imitates the direction they are going with the looks.

And that is what is the most concerning. Yeah they maybe ok, not my style but hey they may get some polish before release but it is the big picture that scares me.

They won't change their mind-set on the direction of the game, like 'Oh this is going to be so much fun!!! heel kicks (new emotion) I'm going rock collecting' Pfft

Put it all together the whole feel of what I've seen is screaming 'The Wiggles'

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Salem wrote:

Exactly! Even without CC TS4 should look remarkably better than its 10-year-old predecessor!

Jf4zn.png

v67Nzv7l.jpg

I expected what I have in TS2, only better! When compared to my CC TS2 game, TS4 really does look like a cartoon.

If only I could have better animations and TS4's CAS in my TS2 game... :(

Love this!

LOL..... just image goofy girl (black hair) with the limp wrists, cross eyes standing in the middle of this lounge! :lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Flair wrote:
    OMG SimChic1 I love your signature!
    SO CUTE!
    Thank you! :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    SimChic1 wrote:
    Sims Social

Exactly, cutesy stuff really does not belong in this game.
    06Bon06 wrote:
    What if they removed The Sims social from Facebook to,ale it a full game :shock: :lol:
    I feel like this game was an excuse to milk out money from all the FB players from the Sims Social.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited August 2013
    SimChic1 wrote:
    SimChic1 wrote:
    Sims Social

Exactly, cutesy stuff really does not belong in this game.
    06Bon06 wrote:
    I feel like this game was an excuse to milk out money from all the FB players from the Sims Social.

Why did I spell sell like that? :shock: :lol:
  • Options
    OilbasedoleanderOilbasedoleander Posts: 2,967 Member
    edited August 2013
    Stdlr9 wrote:
    BeASimmer wrote:
    2i7wuaf.jpg

Now explain to me how this TS4 sim looks more "cartoony" than the previous two? Because I don't get the complaints here. "OMG it's like The Sims Social, it's wayyy too cartoony and animated! This is baddd!" :roll:

I mean yeah, the hair needs serious work, but the face is obviously an improvement.

I agree that the third Sim shown, the one from TS4, is perhaps the most expressive one we've seen so far. But what about this one:

[/img]3sims2_zps5ee46d9f.jpg[/img]

The hair is textureless and looks like a plastic helmet dropped on the woman's head, the eyebrows and eyeliner/eyelashes appear to have been drawn on with a black Sharpie, and the eyes are dead. I fear this is what we're mostly getting in the game. She looks a tad better than the TS2 Sim shown, but after 10 years of computer graphics advancement, I expected better.

I'm thinking now that the game is going to have to have some completely amazing interactions and gameplay with babies, toddlers, and children, since having young families is my fave part of Simming, or I'm going to be passing on TS4.

This has been said quite a bit, but I suppose I can say it again. It's pre-alpha. The first picture is touched up with Photoshop. The second is pre-alpha and possibly low graphics. TS3 is also completely different with high and low graphics.
    The textures have not been completely done.

But I find that TS4 is a wonderful balance of charm from TS2 and better graphics of TS3.
    But to me TS3 looks flat. And TS2 is crazy cartoony. TS4 is a nice middle ground. And it's completely welcomed by me.