Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too cartoony? Seriously?

2i7wuaf.jpg

Now explain to me how this TS4 sim looks more "cartoony" than the previous two? Because I don't get the complaints here. "OMG it's like The Sims Social, it's wayyy too cartoony and animated! This is baddd!" :roll:

I mean yeah, the hair needs serious work, but the face is obviously an improvement.

Comments

• Options
    NomPlayNomPlay Posts: 219 Member
    edited August 2013
    Everyone keeps using that picture as an example but I think that's the only sims 4 sim we've seen that doesn't look cartoony, she's actually rather beautiful, it's that short haired blonde and the brown bearded one that I think are the most cartoony.
  • Options
    SugarysimSugarysim Posts: 440 Member
    edited August 2013
    I don't get it either. The Sims have always had that cartoon-look about them, so how they suddenly look more so is beyond me lol. They have never had that ultra realistic appearance that some people seem to have been hoping for, the closest you can get is obviously CC. But if anything, the faces of the Sims 4 sims do actually look more realistically proportioned now. Her smile is lovely, her eyes don't have that big bambi look about them.

E6Gi2HA.png
  • Options
    Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    edited August 2013
    Yes, TS4 is the one that look much better and realistic. That girl is pretty. Yeah regarding to the hair texture. Not all hair look bad, but some of them look good. I do like some of them. I only think the one that blonde female Sim has, looks not good because the strands of hair are sticking out, not natural. If her hair were to be flipped out at the back and the other side to be smoothed, then it will look great. Maybe one of the C.C. creators will modify it later to replace it.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited August 2013
    To each his/her own. From what I've read, I think that when some people say "too cartoony" they don't necessarily mean that there aren't some aspects of TS4 that appear more realistic than TS3. I think that they are talking about the artistic style in general. Which, to be honest, is a little more cartoony. Especially when you look at how bright the colors are or how the hair looks in comparison.

I don't mind it. It's growing on me. And the sims themselves look very cute and expressive and I love the eyes and the face shapes. That goes a long way with me. But, I do understand what people are saying when they mention that it has a cartoonish appearance. That's just not going to resonate with everyone.

thesims3_cas_bohochick_wm.jpg

the-sims-4_20130815_1286459732.jpg

I like them both, but I do think that TS4 has more of a "hand drawn" look to it. If that makes sense.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    edited August 2013
    I don't mind if the sims are more cartoon looking but what really gets me is the lack of texture. The sims look like plastic dolls. It's not just the sims either, some furniture and plants look like plastic too. Idk anything about making computer games, maybe they add these details later in the game.
  • Options
    wishinstonezwishinstonez Posts: 448 Member
    edited August 2013
    I'm loving the look of TS4 so far.

I think the cartoony thing is just the textures. I thought it was cartoony at first. Then I looked really closely and as far as facial/body features go, TS4 is more realistic.
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    edited August 2013
    I must say, though, that I could easily fall in love with these new sims when I see how they interact in the sim world. Even if the sims still look this way in the release of the game, if the game play is outstanding and the emotions of sims are more realistic I will definitely buy the game.
  • Options
    Nigerian373Nigerian373 Posts: 673 Member
    edited August 2013
    I was just about to make a thread like this, haha! The Sims 3 has always been cartoony. I definitely respect the "realists" in the TS3 community, however, I think that for EAxis to take a photorealism route would be stepping away from Will Wright's legacy. The Sims 1 is still my favorite game out of the whole series, and it is DECIDEDLY cartoony--that's what Will Wright intended. Sk8rblaze put it best when he posted this on another thread:
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    I've seen this a lot:

"TS4 is too cartoony"

==MEANWHILE IN TS1==

tumblr_mefqzvAgM61rkvr8fo1_400.gif

Lol :lol:
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited August 2013
    You know, it's going to sound weird, but I think stylistically that if TS4 had come right after TS2, fewer people might be upset over its looks. Because TS4 seems to follow on that more cartoonish, hand-drawn path that we saw in TS1 and 2. But, between those games you have TS3 which, while not overly realistic itself, did push a little more toward the "realism" side of stylized realism when you look at things like the hair and the textures. No, it was not photorealistic, but there was a certain amount of softness to its look. 1, 2, and 4 appear sharper, brighter, and more highly stylized.

Mind you, I'm talking in terms of art style only, not in terms of the level or quality of the graphics or anything. Not even in terms of the shapes of the character models. Just the general appearance of the game. Based on the pics, TS4 seems more like 1 & 2's spiritual successor artistically than TS3 did.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    Nigerian373Nigerian373 Posts: 673 Member
    edited August 2013
    GabbyGirlJ wrote:
    You know, it's going to sound weird, but I think stylistically that if TS4 had come right after TS2, fewer people might be upset over its looks. Because TS4 seems to follow on that more cartoonish, hand-drawn path that we saw in TS1 and 2. But, between those games you have TS3 which, while not overly realistic itself, did push a little more toward the "realism" side of stylized realism when you look at things like the hair and the textures. No, it was not photorealistic, but there was a certain amount of softness to its look. 1, 2, and 4 appear sharper, brighter, and more highly stylized.

Mind you, I'm talking in terms of art style only, not in terms of the level or quality of the graphics or anything. Not even in terms of the shapes of the character models. Just the general appearance of the game. Based on the pics, TS4 seems more like 1 & 2's spiritual successor artistically than TS3 did.

That was so well-put! I agree, especially with your last line--I definitely think TS4 is more of a successor than TS3 in terms of everything but especially in terms of the appearance
  • Options
    AkemiSweetHeartAkemiSweetHeart Posts: 15 New Member
    edited August 2013
    While I wouldn't say The Sims 4 is too "cartoony" I do see a big difference in graphics, and it doesn't exactly look more realistic to me. I'd say it looks less so. Now I know that everyone has a different was of seeing things and that's ok. I actually have seen a trailer whether it was a real one or not, in the game they look a lot better. Although I feel they are starting to get that block look about them again, and that's what I really don't like. :?

Honestly i'm not quite sure if i'm going to get The Sims 4. I just don't see anything special about it yet, but if I do catch something worth my money then maybe. Like I said everyone has an opinion and I think we should respect that, not act like thinking The Sims 4 is more cartoony is the stupidest thing anyone has ever said. :roll:
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited August 2013
    BeASimmer wrote:
    2i7wuaf.jpg

Now explain to me how this TS4 sim looks more "cartoony" than the previous two? Because I don't get the complaints here. "OMG it's like The Sims Social, it's wayyy too cartoony and animated! This is baddd!" :roll:

I mean yeah, the hair needs serious work, but the face is obviously an improvement.

I agree that the third Sim shown, the one from TS4, is perhaps the most expressive one we've seen so far. But what about this one:

[/img]3sims2_zps5ee46d9f.jpg[/img]

The hair is textureless and looks like a plastic helmet dropped on the woman's head, the eyebrows and eyeliner/eyelashes appear to have been drawn on with a black Sharpie, and the eyes are dead. I fear this is what we're mostly getting in the game. She looks a tad better than the TS2 Sim shown, but after 10 years of computer graphics advancement, I expected better.

I'm thinking now that the game is going to have to have some completely amazing interactions and gameplay with babies, toddlers, and children, since having young families is my fave part of Simming, or I'm going to be passing on TS4.
  • Options
    BeASimmerBeASimmer Posts: 318 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Stdlr9 wrote:
    She looks a tad better than the TS2 Sim shown, but after 10 years of computer graphics advancement, I expected better.

I agree about the hair and the eyelashes, but isn't the game still in development? Aren't they focusing on one thing first, and then adding textures later on? I find it weird how you seem to think that this is the final product when the game isn't coming out until a year from now.

And I don't think her eyes are dead. I feel like she's sternly staring at me as if I insulted her or something.
  • Options
    Mcphee1964Mcphee1964 Posts: 106
    edited August 2013
    The sims look amazing. I seriously hope that they don't change a single thing about them before the game launches.

On the other hand I get why people feel so strongly against them, It's just the way you play the game.
  • Options
    SumoBSumoB Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited August 2013
    Stdlr9 wrote:
    BeASimmer wrote:
    2i7wuaf.jpg

I agree that the third Sim shown, the one from TS4, is perhaps the most expressive one we've seen so far. But what about this one:

The hair is textureless and looks like a plastic helmet dropped on the woman's head, the eyebrows and eyeliner/eyelashes appear to have been drawn on with a black Sharpie, and the eyes are dead. I fear this is what we're mostly getting in the game. She looks a tad better than the TS2 Sim shown, but after 10 years of computer graphics advancement, I expected better.

I'm thinking now that the game is going to have to have some completely amazing interactions and gameplay with babies, toddlers, and children, since having young families is my fave part of Simming, or I'm going to be passing on TS4.

Yes I agree.

Using this other female really makes you see the differences. I'm not saying the sims 4 is badly made, but it IS cartoony, and it's so stupid to defend sims 4 by saying it's NOT cartoony. Sims 4 is cartoony. That's it.

Is it going to be a worse game because of that? H*** no! But still, it is cartoony and that can appear not appealing to some players.

Excuse my bad english! :oops:
  • Options
    ElmawaElmawa Posts: 2,281 Member
    edited August 2013
    BeASimmer wrote:
    Stdlr9 wrote:
    She looks a tad better than the TS2 Sim shown, but after 10 years of computer graphics advancement, I expected better.

I agree about the hair and the eyelashes, but isn't the game still in development? Aren't they focusing on one thing first, and then adding textures later on? I find it weird how you seem to think that this is the final product when the game isn't coming out until a year from now.

And I don't think her eyes are dead. I feel like she's sternly staring at me as if I insulted her or something.

It's supposed to come out in early 2014, so, less than a year from now, like 6 or 7 months? Anyway, your right that a lot could still change. Someone posted a link to a TS3 producer walk-through from Nov of 08, so about 8 months before it' release. And the changes you notice now are actually quite numerous, mainly in the menu and UI styles though, but also in Sunset Valley. So yes, it's entirely possible that things will change between now and release.
  • Options
    BeASimmerBeASimmer Posts: 318 New Member
    edited August 2013
    SumoB wrote:
    I'm not saying the sims 4 is badly made, but it IS cartoony, and it's so stupid to defend sims 4 by saying it's NOT cartoony. Sims 4 is cartoony. That's it.

Notice I said "Too". Of course it's cartoony. The sims have always been cartoony. But some even went so far as to say that it's more cartoony than TS2. Which is absurd.
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited August 2013
    Stdlr9 wrote:

The hair is textureless and looks like a plastic helmet dropped on the woman's head, the eyebrows and eyeliner/eyelashes appear to have been drawn on with a black Sharpie, and the eyes are dead.
    I agree that the hair can be better. I like the basic style, but it needs a more natural texture so it doesn't look like plastic Lego hair.

However, I respectfully disagree about your comments about the eyes, eyebrows and eyeliner. I think all of that looks great.
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited August 2013
    I like the look/design of the new Sims.

However, the TS4 designs do look like characters out of graphic novels or comic books (to me). But, I keep in mind that these are only still images. Once we get to see the Sims in action with motion, sound, lighting and backgrounds they may take on an entirely different look and feel while remaining the exact same style of character.

Personally, I will wait for an example/presentation of the completed (or near completed) product before fully developing an opinion about them or TS4 as a whole.

• Options
    TheBMhunterTheBMhunter Posts: 438 Member
    edited August 2013
    The-Sims-3-Generations-Expansion-Pack-Coming-This-Spring.jpg
    vs
    the-sims-4_20130815_1066421792.jpg
    wow-Draenei.jpg
  • Options
    Ashbagosh23Ashbagosh23 Posts: 25 New Member
    edited August 2013
    I think people are way too worried about this shiny hair problem. The game is obviously still in development and these are not final graphics. The CAS tools are incredible and the dimension added to skin and clothes is a vast improvement. I'm sure they're still working on it guys.

Plus - if you really expected TS4 to not look like a cartoon then you must not have been watching the sims develop over the last decade. They have always looked like cartoons and they always will, that's the point! I care much more about texture, lighting and depth of the environment. The sims may be "cartoony" but the new screenshots show they are much more emotive. I personally have no issues with how it looks and I've been playing since the first sims.
  • Options
    FlairFlair Posts: 291 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Stdlr9 wrote:

I agree in that the hair is awful, and I hope they add more texture to it between now and the release date
    the eyelashes however, I don't see as bad. If you play ts3 on the lowest graphics their eyelashes look like that to. this might just be what ts4 sims look like at low settings.
    I think the eyes are the best yet in the series

Some are arguing it looks more like ts2: keep in mind one of the biggest complaints with ts3 people was that they had pudding faces. I think this is their way of finding middle ground

as for the realism vs. cartoony people, I personally like my sims to be cartoony because I don't like the uncanny valley.
  • Options
    NeonivekNeonivek Posts: 1,373 Member
    edited August 2013
    As for the gameplay, since people keep bringing it up.

Yes The Sims has always been a silly game what with the family with a backyard graveyard populated by ghosts.

Yet that was always the charm of The Sims! Did you want to do something silly? You are totally free! Toilet in the kitchen? Go ahead there is nothing stopping you. Want to be haunted by a clown? We have an expansion for that!

Heck I think the single most important expansion for shaping The Sims as it is today is the very first one. Since all it did was add silly things like robots, genies, and castle décor.

Yet at the same time the goal was always implied to getting the Sims more lifelike, albeit quirky.

The Sims 4 so far... It is my extreme pleasure that they aren't waiting for the expansion content. It is going to have the hilariously wonderful silly content day 1! (won't spoil anything)... And frankly? It is better for it.

Heck I am a little disappointed The Sims 3 didn't have the Chocolate maker created in the second.
  • Options
    RAE2786RAE2786 Posts: 683 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, OK I think maybe you're right, it's not that cartoony but.... the hair.

Although it is still cartoony in the sense that recreating characters like the Parrs won't really work. Even animated Pixar characters look more like Sims 3 sims than Sims 4 sims imo.
  • Options
    NeonivekNeonivek Posts: 1,373 Member
    edited August 2013
    Well that is because well..

The Sims 3 sims looked like plastic dolls... Like Barbies basically.

While The Sims 4 looks almost cell.

I don't mind the hair personally... but then again I like "MySims" so what do I know? (Ohh my... if my favorite MySims haircut ends up in this)