Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too cartoony? Seriously?

Comments

• conundrum_dragonconundrum_dragon Posts: 794 Member
    edited August 2013
    I like the looks of the sims4 so far, but I do agree the hair could look better. Maybe they should hire some of the modders to help them out.
    :?

I will give them this they did say that was pre Alpha so I will wait and see what is to come before I make any major decisions.
  • strangeseraphstrangeseraph Posts: 369 Member
    edited July 2014
    In my honest opinion they are doing this so as not to step on customizers toes. The basic game is cartoony enough for mainstream, but very serious players can slap on their photoshop skins and textures and custom content.
    Jenny

Doop Dee Doop
  • sohfoxsohfox Posts: 255 Member
    edited July 2014
    personally I dislike the look of TS4 sims. Its the hair more then anything, I cannot stand the hair, I also don't like how blocky their eyes look (mostly due to the eyebrows and eyelids) People are entitled to have different opinions, and yes - there are people like me who don't like the aesthetic style of sims 4
    my art http://anenfairy.deviantart.com
    My favorite sims: TS3
  • vesvezDatvesvezDat Posts: 491 Member
    edited July 2014
    The Sims 4 graphics suck. Notice how they're blocky. the hair is blocky and the kind of lighting that they use doesn't have enough darks.

The hair being blocky is one of the most ugly things. Real human hair flows or is messy but still flows. But having a hair piece with blocky turns, that's just stupid

From all the previews i've seen..the Sims 4 is all plain light with no darks. Even in the Build a Sim previews. That makes it look less 3D.

And the fact that in all the previews all the Sims act like the Tasmanian devil cartoon(exagerated motions over the top, and overthe top emotions) instead of acting like real people, makes them more cartoony.
  • stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited July 2014
    I like what they have done with cas, the sims look great. What I think looks "cartoony" is the world. It's the way they did the color, it's too bright in my opinion. But I think a modder could tone down the saturation and then it wouldn't look so bad.
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited July 2014
    Eziwolf wrote:
    the-sims-4_20130815_1286459732.jpg

It's the details that disappoint me a bit: things like knees or toes just look 'painted' rather than properly modeled. I hope it's just this screenshot though. :?

I think I am going to be the one die laughing.
    Now someone is not happy with knees and toes. :D
    This forum is cracking me up.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited July 2014
    Evalen wrote:
    Eziwolf wrote:
    the-sims-4_20130815_1286459732.jpg

It's the details that disappoint me a bit: things like knees or toes just look 'painted' rather than properly modeled. I hope it's just this screenshot though. :?

I think I am going to be the one die laughing.
    Now someone is not happy with knees and toes. :D
    This forum is cracking me up.

It's why people go looking for custom skins.
    I know I will if I get this game. That's the first think I noticed about the skins.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • mikmakermikmaker Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited July 2014
    I ADORE the cartoony style. I think it has became easier for the devs to create more stuff!
    edited July 2014
    all i have to say is Sims 4 graphics suck badly . the average Female Sim that appears in the Sims 3 CAW as soon as you open it..has a hot body.

The average female Sim that apears in Create a character in Sims 4 looks like an 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and cartoony woman. what's up with that
  • utterlyunzippedutterlyunzipped Posts: 503 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Since The Sims 4 was first announced the CAS has come on a lot and the Sims look a lot less cartoony than they did. The major problem now is the hair, the use of low resolution textures and the lack of bump/normal mapping.

What they add on the one hand they take away with the other!

Overall though they look more 'fake' and less 'alive' now. More like animated dolls than little people.

Each iteration of The Sims has improved the look of the Sims but The Sims 4 has not, it has simply changed them to a different stylised look.

For many of us this is unattractive and off putting.
  • Whovian97Whovian97 Posts: 392 Member
    edited July 2014
    When the TS4 renders started to come out, I thought they looked really cartoony, but I do have to admit that they have grown on me since then. I still much prefer the TS3 Sims than TS4, but IDRC because I won't be buying TS4 anyway.
    siggy2_zpsxccvrfnz.png
    FIND ME ON THE GALLERY: holdenwade97
  • Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited July 2014
    vesvezDat wrote:
    The Sims 4 graphics suck. Notice how they're blocky. the hair is blocky and the kind of lighting that they use doesn't have enough darks.

The hair being blocky is one of the most ugly things. Real human hair flows or is messy but still flows. But having a hair piece with blocky turns, that's just stupid

From all the previews i've seen..the Sims 4 is all plain light with no darks. Even in the Build a Sim previews. That makes it look less 3D.

And the fact that in all the previews all the Sims act like the Tasmanian devil cartoon(exagerated motions over the top, and overthe top emotions) instead of acting like real people, makes them more cartoony.

I, too, beleive the SIMS 4 characters are too animated. The facial expressions are too much like cartoons.
  • ClaudiaElzoClaudiaElzo Posts: 1,120 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't know I actually have issues with the cartoony look. They look like pixar characters and the world matches the cute cartoony look I almost feel like downloading CC would look weird in this game. For the first time I'm not sure if to download CC or not. I guess I would get default skin but I don't know if anything else.
  • Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited July 2014
    BeASimmer wrote:
    Now explain to me how this TS4 sim looks more "cartoony" than the previous two?

sims4playbooth011.jpg

2562510-quickimpression_thesims4isdark_20140611.jpg

tumblr_mxg3vhJB661sh6xelo2_r1_1280.jpg

sims4playbooth006.jpg

HystericalSim2_zpsffad8f3d.jpg

tumblr_mrwnctlp0F1soy0bho4_r1_1280.png

They're the very definition of cartoony, lol. So is their world.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited July 2014
    Omg.. It's terrible :cry::cry:

What nightmares are made of :lol:
  • WissaWolfWissaWolf Posts: 636 Member
    edited July 2014
    I've been playing Sims since the first game and I never thought they looked cartoony until Sims 3. They went from good representations of people to stupid Shrek characters. You don't seem to understand that cartoony and bad graphics are not the same thing.. Sims 3 and 4 may have good graphics, but the characters look goofy. Now only females have eyelashes. They're like the ones on smiley faces that make them easier to identify by gender. Pretty soon by Sims 5, we'll have floating eyebrows and ridiculously big noses. The Sims 1 had the worst graphics. They weren't even fully 3D, but they were by far the most realistic..
    And please don't mistake unrealistic with cartoony. Yes, the game has been known to include supernatural or freaky and funny stuff. But so does Harry Potter. I wouldn't consider that cartoony though, now would you?
    People seem to think burning a realistic sim is disturbing, but then they go ahead and shoot someone in Grand Theft Auto, getting blood everywhere and think that's perfectly okay. It's silly. And FYI the game isn't about killing like GTA. It's only optional. So if you find it disturbing to kill sims because they look too real, then simply don't.
    When other people try to say old Sims was cartoony just because it had fantasy objects and weird humor, I don't get it.
    Now the sims act goofy, make childish faces, clap their heels when they're in a good mood, have painted on eyebrows, and are just plain silly. I miss my cool sims, the ones on the edgy side with the adult humor. Now we get family friendly. Lame.
    If you want to see the perfect balance between cartoony and realistic, then look at The Sims Medieval. They're beautiful.
    edited July 2014
    Halle_M wrote:
    BeASimmer wrote:
    Now explain to me how this TS4 sim looks more "cartoony" than the previous two?

sims4playbooth011.jpg

2562510-quickimpression_thesims4isdark_20140611.jpg

tumblr_mxg3vhJB661sh6xelo2_r1_1280.jpg

sims4playbooth006.jpg

HystericalSim2_zpsffad8f3d.jpg

They're the very definition of cartoony, lol. So is their world.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
    This is ridiculous and such a disgrace.

Maybe they wanted to make them cartonny/emotions because they saw that people were getting bored of the sims. Cause the sims on it's own it's boring like i said because there's no action and randomness.

So they tried to focus too much on the cartoony emotioins hoping that that would shut us up and hping that we'd think that's fun.

well it's not!
    edited July 2014

Wait what the heck....I just noticed another stupid thing.

Did you see the skirt?

It's again like in Sims 3 where the skirt is a block and you can't see up to the thighs.

That's so stupid. If they don't want us to see legs and thighs, why they even have sims be in angles and do moves where they can possibly show skin.

And notice how she's too cartoony, unrealistic, unattractive and 🐸🐸🐸🐸. Really?
    This is what you want to show us to make us want to buy it?

• infinitemasoninfinitemason Posts: 307 Member
    edited July 2014
    vesvezDat wrote:

Wait what the heck....I just noticed another stupid thing.

Did you see the skirt?

It's again like in Sims 3 where the skirt is a block and you can't see up to the thighs.

That's so stupid. If they don't want us to see legs and thighs, why they even have sims be in angles and do moves where they can possibly show skin.

And notice how she's too cartoony, unrealistic, unattractive and 🐸🐸🐸🐸. Really?
    This is what you want to show us to make us want to buy it?

While I agree that the skirt-blocking is stupid and graphically-poor, that's how it was in TS3 and I'm really not surprised that it hasn't improved.

Also, unrealistic, unattractive, and 🐸🐸🐸🐸? I have to disagree. The new sims are the most realistic and attractive looking sims so far in my opinion and calling a thin person 🐸🐸🐸🐸 really isn't okay.
  • Hare_infernoHare_inferno Posts: 7 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I love the new look in TS4. Looks more like CG art than a game. :D Lots of video game characters look worse than cg characters. I like where TS4 is headed. I can't wait to see what amazing CC that content creators are going to make. It has more of a TS2 feel to it, which I love. And man, the clothes actually fit! I do agree with the fact that it being too realistic would leave out other players. With CC you can always add in the content and look that you want and customize your experience. I'm looking at modding myself. It was easier for Sims 2, but by the time I got to making CC Sims 3 was out. I'm sure CAStyle will be back. Hopefully in a separate app. I'm attached to my computer b/c I built it and really don't have the cash to upgrade it. I wonder if they put extra features in like TS2 where if you have a dinosaur you can still play the game, but if you have a super computer you can watch cut scenes. That way everyone can be taken into consideration.
  • InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited July 2014
    BeASimmer wrote:
    2i7wuaf.jpg

Now explain to me how this TS4 sim looks more "cartoony" than the previous two? Because I don't get the complaints here. "OMG it's like The Sims Social, it's wayyy too cartoony and animated! This is baddd!" :roll:

I mean yeah, the hair needs serious work, but the face is obviously an improvement.

I was hoping a touch more realism this go around, but thats me. I am not entirely put off but the cartoony style, (Honestly hate the hair to death), its just the rest of what isn't in TS4. They took/left too much out for me. Sorry, cartoony doesn't isn't even the tip of the iceberg for me. I saw so many beautiful CC sims for TS3 and hoped they'd go that route and make them more like that. I've played games like GTA 5 and there is a major difference. What stands out to me is the effort Rockstar puts into their games. That stands out leaps and bounds over anything EA does anymore. They can't compare to their competition anymore. :roll:
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • CharlieKatCharlieKat Posts: 79 Member
    edited July 2014
    I really think it's the hair and eyelashes that has people feeling it's very cartoony. Since I've been playing in the Demo though, I feel I've been able to get a far more 'real' face structure and body that I couldn't get with the other Sims.
    Name on the Gallery is Charlesia
  • nateslicenateslice Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'd love to have an opinion on this subject, but I can't without access to the CAS demo (HINT, HINT, EA).
  • X1rawr1XX1rawr1X Posts: 33
    edited July 2014
    If they made the game too realistic then people who are just casual game players would be turned away from it because it would be too hard on their computers. The content would be removed and they would come up with an excuse like "We had to take away ______ to give you more realistic Sims. While we have taken out many loved features we had to make a decision to remove one thing, to get something better (realistic graphics)."

Honestly if you want more realistic stuff, just wait for the modding community to give it to you so that EA won't try to screw over the game, and then you get mad because you got what you asked for, but not how you wanted it. v__v

I for one think I might like the where the Sims 4 is going aside from the features that have been taken out (and then picking and choosing who gets the demo creating backlash :D )
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited July 2014
    Honestly, the face looks amazing. Soft and more realistic, but not to the point that it loses that Sims touch and gets creepy. It's really the hair that seems to throw everyone off and probably would be better if you used a more recently made sim as an example.