Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimGuruKelly- What Happen About Getting Fountains Fixed?? Updated to Add List on First Post

Comments

• Options
    MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    edited October 2013
    mw1525 wrote:
    Does it mean the fountains when they were released into the store were broken creations? Not at all. What it does suggest to me is that these objects were not advertised properly. And, because of this I believe the team should make good that the product meets the expectation of the description.

Bingo. Nail meet hammer. They need to watch the descriptions very carefully in the future because it's bitten them a few times now.
  • Options
    PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    edited October 2013
    MrHawk wrote:
    mw1525 wrote:
    Does it mean the fountains when they were released into the store were broken creations? Not at all. What it does suggest to me is that these objects were not advertised properly. And, because of this I believe the team should make good that the product meets the expectation of the description.

Bingo. Nail meet hammer. They need to watch the descriptions very carefully in the future because it's bitten them a few times now.

Totally disagree with both of you on this. A fountain is a fountain from which water spouts forth, either in a downpouring or upjetting direction. The very meaning of the word fountain denotes water flowing and moving as in this definition from Online Dictionary: "A fountain (from the Latin "fons" (genitive "fontis"), a source or spring) is a piece of architecture which pours water into a basin or jets it into the air to supply drinking water and/or for a decorative or dramatic effect."

Go look at the pictures supplied on page 1 of this thread of the various fountains. Not only are these items described in the Store with the word "fountain" (along with details such as "soft sounds and/or meditating sounds of water trickling"), but more importantly, several of them have exit holes or spouts from which animated water should be flowing forth (observe Spring of Youth fountain, Zen, Water Pump, and Sphinx with its pursed lips as an exit hole). So their actual design attests to having been purposed as a functioning fountain. Sorry, but these are not simply static decorative items, but in fact were designed and intended to have moving, flowing water along with trickling water sounds. Otherwise they would only have been labeled as statues.

Therefore, they are indeed broken, and were issued broken, and that is why the Sims Team is attempting to "fix" them and make them work as originally intended. If these fountains were meant solely to be unanimated decorative pieces only, I highly doubt the Sims Team would be expending the time, effort, and funds to "add animations" to them simply by whim of what players prefer to see.

Perhaps SimGuruKelly would be kind enough to provide insight. Were the fountains originally meant to be fully functional and have animated pouring/trickling/jetting/spraying water coming out of them along with trickling water noises? I think they were, and I very much appreciate the effort being made to "correct" the error.
  • Options
    krimsonnoxkrimsonnox Posts: 6,143 Member
    edited October 2013
    some of the fountains like the bamboo fountain and tiki fountain did work at one point when they were new. I know they did i used them and loved them. Then a patch broke them..i can't remember if it was around pets or gen. or maybe after i don't figure time so well but i know they worked.

Thank you simgurukelly for letting us know you still intend to get a fix for this issue. Ya'll at the store just completely rock. \m/ \m/
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited October 2013
    @Pamhamlet - I 100% agree with you that by labeling them a fountain they should be designed to work. However, let's not overlook who and what we are talking about The Store Team/Store Items Only Again). Below, I have selected a few items (from the same section as the fountains just to broaden the spectrum a bit) to show how the store will advertise a truly created "non-functioning" item by design and use key words which presents the item as potentially functioning or usable. Then I have paired the item with an example of its working (created to be usable) counterpart.

Again, does it mean that the Store team was out to "trick" its customers? No, it doesn't. Just poor (but creative) advertising. Although, the store team could reasonably argue since these items (Fountains included) were placed in the "Miscellaneous Decor" section of the store they were never meant to function at all. Decor implies 'Non-Functioning' or 'For Decorative Purposes Only'.

*1-
    Fountain of Decadence - Drippy, delicious, drinkable chocolate? Count me in.

A Usable EXAMPLE ---> Chocolate Fountain (Premium item) --- Meets the same description as its fake counterpart. "Drippy, Delicious & Drinkable Chocolate!"

Guaranteed to be the most delicious representation of Newton's Law of universal gravitation you've ever experienced: Your opinion of skewered fruit tidbits will never again be the same once you've dipped them into Aims Co. Choc-O-Falls Fountain! The impressive table top gourmet display, with five silky smooth flavors to choose from, makes the Choc-O-Falls Fountain perfect for weddings, birthday parties and celebrations of all sizes, as well as a fun treat to serve your friends and families on a special Saturday night, Sunday afternoon brunch, Tuesday after-school treat, Thursday morning power breakfast, Monday between 3 and 7 PM for a pre-dinner snack, and Wednesday just because! With Aims Co. Choc-O-Falls Fountain, decadent indulgence is more than just a chocolate lovers dream come true...it's SCIENCE!

*2-
    Nano Novel Wall Bookshelf --- (Looks usable and nothing in the description says otherwise.) - Sized just correctly to provide the most optimal storage space for any book collection. http://store.thesims3.com/productList.html?scategoryId=11561 (Bookcases - Item NOT found here.)

A Usable EXAMPLE - Overachieving Bookshelf ( First line says it all) - Any old bookshelf can hold books. What's so special about that? But how many bookshelves can hold your knickknacks with the verve of the Overachieving Bookshelf? Not many.

*3-
    Murano Retro and Ripe Fruit Bowl --- (Description ACTUALLY lines up with the product) - Ripe looking fruit at the ready and on display in a very retro way. Though it looks tasty, remember it's just for show!

A Usable EXAMPLE ---> Sweet Masses Chromodynamic Candy Dish - One piece or two? Anymore and you'll spoil your next meal…

*4-
    II-Stand Hamper -- (This is the ONLY hamper with a LID --Notice how the item is described. It sounds usable, doesn't it.) - Hide away all your dirty clothes with this large capacity hamper by II-Stand. It's precisely placed legged support can hold up to 70 lbs of weight. You also do not need to worry about any of your clothes smelling as it has its own air filtration system that kills the worst of the smells. It is also a great decorative piece in any messy rooms.

http://store.thesims3.com/productList.html?scategoryId=11539 (The Item ISN'T Listed here with other Hampers)

A Usable EXAMPLE --> High-Class Hamper - Keeping your dirty clothes organized has never been so envogue. All of your designer duds will be well cared for in this ultra hamper.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    @krimsonnox
    -If certain fountains worked and then were broken by an update (patch), I agree the store team should update the items file to repair it.

Thanks again to SimGuruKelly. Whether the fountains were created to be decorative or not I really appreciate you taking/making the time to hear (us) Simmers and our concerns. I look forward to your next update.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Hi, mw1525! I understand what you are saying about the advertising. We shouldn't expect the intention of any object to be different than described. If it is to be decorative only with no moving parts/interactions, then it should be advertised as such (as in the case of the fruit in your example).

Still, anything that describes what should be a working item, including its title, along with its very design validating that functionality, should be considered and understood to have been intended as a working item, unless otherwise stated. Therefore, it would need no "fixing" from the Store Team---yet that is exactly what they are doing: fixing, not simply adding unintended animations. Besides, Krimsonnox also recalled certain fountains working up until a patch. I, too, can vaguely remember the Bamboo and Tiki fountains working when I first bought them.

When you consider that this particular non-working fountain issue has crossed the line into actual EPs now, including Ambitions and Island Paradise, you can see it is more than a mere advertising faux pas from the Store. There is also an additional fountain object that came with Dragon Valley (Celtic set) that is non-functioning, so I wonder if that will be fixed as well. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Pamhamlet, you are absolutely correct -- advertising and choice word descriptions aside -- if the fountains worked when they were purchased, the fountains should also work now. If a patch or additional game coding from an expansion pack broke them they SHOULD be repaired. And the team would be doing no more than they SHOULD do. Besides, now is an excellent time to repair these items since TS3 isn't getting anymore expansions! If, however, the fountains were created solely as decorations and the team is trying to animate them -- they are doing a kindness for the Simmers. This is my point. Remember, a fountain (whether turned on or off) is a decorative item by design. It is not an important or necessary item to a structure such as a door, window, floor or wall. They look great and give character to the landscape -- but that's it.

On the subject of Expansion pack fountains being or becoming broken, in my opinion, there literally is no excuse for adding a non working fountain to an Expansion Pack. Period. Everything in the NEW World should work as intend. Yes, I've seen the bone dry expansion pack fountains pictured within this thread and the hot tubs as well. While I do own all of the store fountains I do not own any of the expansion packs (aside from Showtime), so I have no firsthand experience or knowledge in those areas. I would have loved to own some of those expansion packs -- but I learned early on that EA doesn't take very good care of its things (or customers) so I did not purchase anything more.

With that being said, I will continue to support this thread (by bumping it with the occasional post -- it's all I really can do).
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    mw1525 wrote:
    ...I do not own any of the expansion packs (aside from Showtime), so I have no firsthand experience or knowledge in those areas. I would have loved to own some of those expansion packs -- but I learned early on that EA doesn't take very good care of its things (or customers) so I did not purchase anything more.

There are some really nice EPs I bet you would really enjoy! I know I couldn't do without them. If you are patched up to date, several issues with bugs in previous EPs have been fixed. I encourage you to think about getting another EP or two, especially since Sims 3 has come to an end. They really do add so much more gameplay as well as build/buy and CAS objects. I think you would be very pleased with any of them! :D
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Pamhamlet, I'm certain the expansions flesh out the series and from some of the "Lets Plays" I've watched on YouTube, they do seem like fun. But, I'm happy and content with what I have. I don't feel as if I'm missing anything (even if I am missing a lot in the additional game play value). I've noticed, EA has begun leaning heavily towards trying to get everyone to move to Digital Download through Origin. I'm not a fan of Digital Downloads and prefer to actually own (on physical disk) the games I have. This is just my preference.

As far as store content goes, I own most (not all) of the store (up to my decided stopping patch level), too many premium items (+) all the creative extras (CAW & CAP). This provides me with plenty to do -- and I'm never at a loss for imagination. Thank you for the suggestion though. :wink:
  • Options
    sydsyrioussydsyrious Posts: 63 Member
    edited November 2013
    Bumping this because no one else did. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Just stopping by to see if there is any new news. I guess it is still too early. :(
  • Options
    AznSenseiAznSensei Posts: 11,789 Member
    edited November 2013
    mw1525 wrote:
    @Pamhamlet - I 100% agree with you that by labeling them a fountain they should be designed to work. However, let's not overlook who and what we are talking about The Store Team/Store Items Only Again). Below, I have selected a few items (from the same section as the fountains just to broaden the spectrum a bit) to show how the store will advertise a truly created "non-functioning" item by design and use key words which presents the item as potentially functioning or usable. Then I have paired the item with an example of its working (created to be usable) counterpart.

Again, does it mean that the Store team was out to "trick" its customers? No, it doesn't. Just poor (but creative) advertising. Although, the store team could reasonably argue since these items (Fountains included) were placed in the "Miscellaneous Decor" section of the store they were never meant to function at all. Decor implies 'Non-Functioning' or 'For Decorative Purposes Only'.

*1-
    Fountain of Decadence - Drippy, delicious, drinkable chocolate? Count me in.

A Usable EXAMPLE ---> Chocolate Fountain (Premium item) --- Meets the same description as its fake counterpart. "Drippy, Delicious & Drinkable Chocolate!"

Guaranteed to be the most delicious representation of Newton's Law of universal gravitation you've ever experienced: Your opinion of skewered fruit tidbits will never again be the same once you've dipped them into Aims Co. Choc-O-Falls Fountain! The impressive table top gourmet display, with five silky smooth flavors to choose from, makes the Choc-O-Falls Fountain perfect for weddings, birthday parties and celebrations of all sizes, as well as a fun treat to serve your friends and families on a special Saturday night, Sunday afternoon brunch, Tuesday after-school treat, Thursday morning power breakfast, Monday between 3 and 7 PM for a pre-dinner snack, and Wednesday just because! With Aims Co. Choc-O-Falls Fountain, decadent indulgence is more than just a chocolate lovers dream come true...it's SCIENCE!

*4-
    II-Stand Hamper -- (This is the ONLY hamper with a LID --Notice how the item is described. It sounds usable, doesn't it.) - Hide away all your dirty clothes with this large capacity hamper by II-Stand. It's precisely placed legged support can hold up to 70 lbs of weight. You also do not need to worry about any of your clothes smelling as it has its own air filtration system that kills the worst of the smells. It is also a great decorative piece in any messy rooms.

http://store.thesims3.com/productList.html?scategoryId=11539 (The Item ISN'T Listed here with other Hampers)

A Usable EXAMPLE --> High-Class Hamper - Keeping your dirty clothes organized has never been so envogue. All of your designer duds will be well cared for in this ultra hamper.

The chocolate fountain decor was released way before the actual fountain, and priced at 25 Simpoints. Premium content didn't exist back then, so it was assumed to be a Decor object, not "premium content". ;)

And I'm fairly sure the Ultra Lounge Kids Hamper object was released before Ambitions (sometime after World Adventures), so Laundry didn't exist at that time.

Just remember that they used "creative descriptions" for your in-game reading, which I enjoyed getting to read, and NOT to advertise a functioning object or not.

Now if you look at recent sets, plenty descriptions are the same set description.... Which I find it sad we won't see any funny descriptions, or unique ones.

On the advertising aspect though, it's good so people won't make comments calling it "false advertising" ;)

I have yet to see a store object get altered after something new appears many months, if not years, later.

Until then, we will wait for the "Water Animations" for these fountains and hot tubs to be updated sometime in the future in a patch.
  • Options
    sofie981sofie981 Posts: 486 Member
    edited November 2013
    On page 21 you can see that kusurusu managed to make the fountains work :shock: witch shows that it wasn't false advertising. It isn't the first time that stuff has come out with some things forgotten to be finalized. Like hair witch can't be worn under swimwear and stencils that are hidden witch clearly was meant to work. It must be frustrating for the creatores that this happens as they have used hours to make the stuff so lets hope that the fountains get fixed to the joy of all us simmers who loves the beauty of the running water :D
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    edited November 2013
    I am really sad about fountains not working as we were expecting.
    I LOVE anything with water (except toilets & sewers, lol)

But I also have a question about the ones that DO work, inc the working ones with ITF.

I lowered settings in game a bit,
    (used to have it ALL in highest, but game started to lag, so I lowered a few setting til I can upgrade my PC).

I was wondering if it was just me - that was seeing the fountains water animation kinda look like "black sand".
    :(
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    AnzSensei, your post just re-enforces what I said--all the more. The Sims team (or whomever writes the description) used "Creative Wording" when they described the items for sale. This was understood by the Simmers who were there at that time.

Keep in mind, not all players of this game were here when the Sims started. I can use myself as a good example of this. I didn't play a Sims game until Feb 2012 and my first Sims were for my XBox 360. I didn't buy the PC version of this game until May 2012, less than a month before TS3s 3rd Year of being out (check my profile). Being this was my first experience with The Sims (period) I wasn't aware of a lot of things which older Simmers knew. I didn't know what was normal for a Sim or what was a glitch. I didn't know story-lines, family histories -- nothing!

When it came to buying items from the store to enhance my game all I had to go on was what was written about them in their description as well as what my eyeballs told me. Let's just use the fake chocolate fountain for example. When I purchased that item I really DID think it was going to flow chocolate because that's what the description said. The item itself looked like a stillshot of a flowing fountain. If I had of known it was just decoration, I would have left it in the store.

Did I feel duped? You bet I did! This was made worst by the fact the file name for the fake chocolate fountain is "fountainWeddingChocolate" not sculpturefountainWeddingChocolate! All of the other decorative items have the word "sculpture" in front of their names (or somewhere nearby). The Premium content fountain file name is "chocolateFountainTableClassic" Not much difference even in the
    actual file name so it is not just the descriptions which are mislabled and potentially misleading.

As you also pointed out in your post, items which were once not a functioning game reality at the time of their appearance -- are now a reality (Hampers, Chocolate Fountains, ect). This can confuse new shoppers of the store. In my very first post on this thread (page 10) I said I bought a few of the fountains believing them to be decoration only. I wasn't around when the fountains premiered, didn't know anything 'bout them except a couple of them looked like decorative items to me. I never expected them to work. Yet, even their file description says otherwise:
    fountainFairy (the frog), fountainMonsterSquid (the Kracken) & fountainPoseidon (Poseidon) to name a few.

Their file names do not start with sculpture or statue. All of the store bought files I own, names start by describing what they are "stereo, sofa, table, painting, curtain, deep fryer, ect. (And no the price wasn't a tip off because most things in that section of the store were/are 25 SimPoints including the working/non-working/deco fountains!)

I don't want anyone to misunderstand what I am saying when I speak of fountains store or EP ones). I am NOT grouping all fountains together. For this issue, It really doesn't matter when they were created or how they were presented. I still maintain, if they worked when they were created and they don't work now, they need to be fixed. If, on the other hand they were intended to be non-functioning (deco only) and the Team are animating them, then they are doing a kindness for the Simmers.

And YES, they do need to be more careful with the 'creative' wording.

• Options
    trashbinsouvenirtrashbinsouvenir Posts: 412 Member
    edited November 2013
    Checking in for any news. :/ Anyone heard anything from the twitter front?
    Simply,
    Brittany (bwillisucf)

Zpj9msL.png
  • Options
    Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited November 2013
    Checking in for any news. :/ Anyone heard anything from the twitter front?

Not as of yet. After the last patch (ITF Patch) SGKelly did say that they are still working on getting these addressed, so it has not been forgotten. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the next patch (I have heard that there may be up to two more patches) will contain a fix for these and many other store item issues.
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    There really are too many store issues going on. I love new content, but I think they need to stop for a bit and focus more energy and manpower on fixing the existing issues. It makes me nervous to buy things because a lot of things have glitches... and then a Guru will passingly come by and give a vague answer they they'll TRY but no promises... and then I haven't seen anything happen whenever that occurs. So I'm getting pretty discouraged. :/
    I've been trying to keep all of these major threads bumped- the PC item glitch thread, the general item glitch thread, and this fountain/hot tub glitch thread. So the gurus can really see how much gameplay is truly being disrupted.
    Simply,
    Brittany (bwillisucf)

Zpj9msL.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    There really are too many store issues going on. I love new content, but I think they need to stop for a bit and focus more energy and manpower on fixing the existing issues. It makes me nervous to buy things because a lot of things have glitches... and then a Guru will passingly come by and give a vague answer they they'll TRY but no promises... and then I haven't seen anything happen whenever that occurs. So I'm getting pretty discouraged. :/
    I've been trying to keep all of these major threads bumped- the PC item glitch thread, the general item glitch thread, and this fountain/hot tub glitch thread. So the gurus can really see how much gameplay is truly being disrupted.

I know what you mean, it is discouraging and somewhat worrisome with Sims 3 at an end. The only thing we can do is make sure we keep these posts bumped so they are constantly on the first page. We need to let them know that we want these issues resolved. I know I personally have no interest in Sims 4 (especially if they leave all these issues un-resolved) and so I want my game to function as best as possible.
    NewBanner.jpg
  • Options
    ajaxpostajaxpost Posts: 4,200 Member
    edited November 2013
    Hang On! What's this doing on page 4?!?!?

Get thee back to page 1 and be noticed! 8)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I was staying on top of The Sims 4 news, but I've learned from The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 that things this early in the development stage are NEVER what turns out in the end product- if you look at some of the early Sims 2 trailers even, it's insane how different they are from what the game ACTUALLY was.

There was a lot of controversy over The Sims 4's direction, so I decided to just stop looking at any news and not make any decisions until it is closer to the release date and more reliable, concrete information is available.

No sense in getting upset and making decisions this early. So I just ignore the new game really, unless it interferes with the current game. Sorry, I digress.

I know that a lot of the latest patch (1.63) messed a lot of previously working content up, rendering some completely useless and even ruining/corrupting whole families... so I imagine (desperately hope) they'll soon do a patch for their patch. Which is crazy that that even needs to occur... But hopefully they have indeed been putting in effort on this fountain/hot tub issue and can give us one great, amazing patch. I'd be jumping for joy- quite literally!!

I just get worried/paranoid, because I'm sure there's only going to be so many game patches done... but I'd rather not think on the negative and focus on the fact that there are SimGurus out there that I know really do care. :)
    Simply,
    Brittany (bwillisucf)

Zpj9msL.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Back to the top!
    NewBanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Have not heard any news in regards to this issue......SGKelly, do you have any updates for us??
    NewBanner.jpg
  • Options
    tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    edited December 2013
    Amazing: This thread began a year ago, and there's still no fix for the fountains. For shame, EA!
  • Options
    krimsonnoxkrimsonnox Posts: 6,143 Member
    edited December 2013
    My wish is that they come back at the beginning of the yr with a patch. That would be very nice.