Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Grey Meadow, the Industrial Hub

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2013
    YESSSSSSSS! This world is my fav of yours and sounds good to me. I know I have been enjoying the IP update to Stoneshields - so I know I will love one for Grey Meadow. Will definitely test it for you as I am totally positive Stoneshields has no issues.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    RuthmaybeRuthmaybe Posts: 184 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Dump? DUMP? oh, pssshaw. :D What fun that will be, and I agree with Reg, Stoneshields has no issues (well except for easily player corrected things, like the cursed bookcase/doors, and the stage at Charlies is backwards, so performers have their back-side to the audience lol.
  • Options
    ThePoet012ThePoet012 Posts: 34 Member
    edited August 2013
    I think I am in love. This city is perfect for my story.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Ruth I did not even notice the stage was backward but then I missed the two shows I noticed announced there due to my sim being at work. What the heck is with these early morning simfests? I swear every since Seasons came out I am seeing nothing but 8 am simfests and not just in Stoneshield - in just about every world I have been playing or testing lately.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    QuailhogsQuailhogs Posts: 933 Member
    edited August 2013
    Really? Charlie's? I could have sworn I fixed that same exact stage... well, that's the game's fault entirely.

Yeah, so I am going to demote some of the people in this world to NPCs since a lot of the Sims I added for Showtime are kind of boring. Well, I will keep Jean LaSalle and his kids and attempt to make them all look less like generic featureless sims.

I may also delete the pool house since it is in the way of the water corridor and convert the supernatural hangout into the new pool.

I can actually fit mermaids into the theme of this world quite well, in the less romanticized sense. A better term for them would be "fish mutants."
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Fish mutants... hehehehe - that's a good one.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    RuthmaybeRuthmaybe Posts: 184 New Member
    edited August 2013
    I indulge my rich fantasy life and sometimes pretend they are Selkies instead http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkie . I wish the seal that appears in the new store set would be loose in the world to further my delusions lol!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yeah they could be cute little pets for the merfolk.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I am still working on the update for Grey Meadow. It's quite boring work actually. Right now I am working on the dive lots. There will be three, and if feasible, I may include two hidden islands. I haven't taken too many pictures, but you can see the few I have taken by visiting the Tumblr page that I linked to in the first post.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Sounds perfect to me Quailhogs. Most definitely looking forward to this version - I know I really like the additions of IP to Stoneshields - so this should be wonderful.

ETA - Just came back from reading your tumbler page - I think the new world write up is the best yet - and the characters sound amazing, they look fabulous as well. Truly look forward to that world - it is going to be absolutely enchanting as well as mysterious.

The new cabins for Grey Meadow are adorable and spot on to the Seaport houses I have see in the BarHarbour area of Maine - enlarge the same - add some porches and place near the beach and it'd be the beach houses of parts of Cape Elizabeth in Maine. If course cape Elizabeth is a ritzy place and has a lot of real old period homes as well where lots of the "money" summers in Maine - but these are really perfect to real seaports I have seen in New England for sure.

Definitely looking forward to all the editions as well as the new world too. As usual you have again outdid yourself in authentic - actually better than authentic style and dark beauty.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited August 2013
    Grey Meadow is my all time favorite world. :D Looking forward to the update and the new dive lots.

A question. CAW has been too challenging for me to learn and I don't have your creative genius. Why won't it let you add active tombstones to graveyards? This is such a gothic, supernatural world I wanted to see the graveyards come alive after midnight.

What I did was to create a Sim to collect tombstones from other worlds like Sunset Valley and Riverview. Tombstones such as Eric Darling and Peanut Bahl. I then re-zoned your cemeteries to residential and moved the Sim in and placed the tombstones. Moved the Sim out, zoned the lot back to graveyard and replaced the Mausoleum. Once I had the cemetery with the tombstones I wanted I saved it to the bin. I then started a new game in Grey Meadow and replaced the graveyard using edit town before beginning the game.

This way I got your graveyards occupied at the beginning of the game. Is nothing like that possible with CAW? The ghosts in the cemeteries is the only thing I find missing in your worlds. It is a lot of fuss to put them in the way I do it and just wondered why CAW couldn't.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    No, it is impossible to put anything with ghosts directly into CAW. It will corrupt the file and the world will implode on itself. If I was able to add ghosts directly to the world, I would be more than happy to make some of the ancestors of Grey Meadow and slaughter the lot. But in all seriousness, CAW users cannot make active tombstones. Sorry about that. Fortunately there aren't too many other restrictions.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Sincerbox - one of the modders over in the Caw forum at modthesims actually explained that when a sim is in ghost form it carries just a shadow of it's files - then when it goes into controllable ghost it only carries half of it's files and half of the ghost play files; last when it is full resurrected it carries most of it's files and previous history, but because it has been dead at one point it will also carry memory files of being dead - so a ghost sims is a special character whose file is always different than any other sims - mummies are made the same way - so neither can be added to caw without creating a problem - as the game AI cannot put the files back in exactly as they are of a living sims that has never died - and because of this and the way the programming works it sort of confuses the AI (artificial Intelligence system) eventually breaking it down so it cannot handle the dead or previously dead sims at all. It is different if a sim is alive in the game and then dies and all it's files are in the game - the AI can look through it's life stages and put back what it needs in addition to memories of being dead - but if that sim is just added to the world in CAW - with the way porting in works most of the sims files are cleaned by the porting system so most of the info is missing and as any game when info is missing the files start corrupting.

You have to figure EA does not need to port in Sims - they are programmed in while making the base or ep, so all the files are always there. Even if we deleted every single sims - we are not able to delete their files that is in the programming completely - it is also why it is never a good idea to take an ea world and remake it by deleting sims - but that is another discussion.

Also you did not have to go through all that trouble of changing the graveyard as you can send a sim to a graveyard and place tombstone - then save the lot to the bin. They do not need to live on a graveyard to place graves. Also saving a lot to the bin saves all those sims files and that is why you can load non corrupting ghost through a save file or bin file. The porting system could never handle all those files.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:

Also you did not have to go through all that trouble of changing the graveyard as you can send a sim to a graveyard and place tombstone - then save the lot to the bin.

I think I tried that and the gravestones vanished. The only way I could get them to be permanent was to make the lot be residential first.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Quailhogs wrote:
    No, it is impossible to put anything with ghosts directly into CAW. It will corrupt the file and the world will implode on itself. If I was able to add ghosts directly to the world, I would be more than happy to make some of the ancestors of Grey Meadow and slaughter the lot. But in all seriousness, CAW users cannot make active tombstones. Sorry about that. Fortunately there aren't too many other restrictions.

Would you please? :D I love your characters. Could you put them in the graveyard in the fashion I indicated and updload the graveyard lot to the exchange as a companion lot? Sorta the way EA makes special lots as addons to their store worlds?

/edit to add: It would be really cool to have the family tree outlined as well. I can always use Twallan's Master Controller to manually build the family trees. But then you could also just upload a residential lot that has it's family graves on the lot to retain the family tree.

/edit again to add: Yet another way to keep the family tree intact would be to stuff the tombstones in a family member's inventory and upload the family.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    That is weird Sincerbox - although I have not done it in sometime - I never had them vanish though. I surely won't say it won't happen as things may have changed since I last made a bin graveyard. The last time I did that was after Pets came out - I believe, as I moved some gravestones in my established TwinBrooks because the ghosts on all the different lots kept scaring the Unicorns and making them start things on fire. So before I lost all my builds - as I had rebuilt almost all of Twinbrooks and it was my rebuilds getting burnt - but I don't recall making any ghost moves since then. But I know we used to have no problem doing that. I have honestly never made a graveyard a residence.

I did move all the graves from my recently updated Goth house in IP that I added there which is generation 28 from SSV - but I did not use a sims, I just moved them in edit town. I did check to make sure the sims were still there by sending my sims to mourn their graves for a couple days, and sure enough the ghosts appeared within 3 days in the graveyard.

ETA - in his thread he does have a house with the ghosts in it that you can download and place in the place of the same house without the ghosts. I used that one in this world all the time. It is on the first page. Or was anyway.

here it is -

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2790728

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    That is weird Sincerbox - although I have not done it in sometime - I never had them vanish though. I surely won't say it won't happen as things may have changed since I last made a bin graveyard. The last time I did that was after Pets came out - I believe, as I moved some gravestones in my established TwinBrooks because the ghosts on all the different lots kept scaring the Unicorns and making them start things on fire. So before I lost all my builds - as I had rebuilt almost all of Twinbrooks and it was my rebuilds getting burnt - but I don't recall making any ghost moves since then. But I know we used to have no problem doing that. I have honestly never made a graveyard a residence.

I did move all the graves from my recently updated Goth house in IP that I added there which is generation 28 from SSV - but I did not use a sims, I just moved them in edit town. I did check to make sure the sims were still there by sending my sims to mourn their graves for a couple days, and sure enough the ghosts appeared within 3 days in the graveyard.

It might work. It has been a while since I built a custom graveyard as well. What I am sure of is if your sim places a tombstone at the graveyard and then you change to another household in game the tombstones vanish. I think it is because the tombstones are owned by the family and not the lot when a sim just places a tombstone somewhere in town.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    ETA - in his thread he does have a house with the ghosts in it that you can download and place in the place of the same house without the ghosts. I used that one in this world all the time. It is on the first page. Or was anyway.

here it is -

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2790728

Really? I use that house all the time. I must have been using the version that came with the world unaware that the house had real tombstones.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Ah ha - I see, I have not rechecked since I moved on to some other sims - I'll have to go look - as that would be sad - but I do have a copy of the house with the sims ghosts still in it - so at least I won't lose them completely. I knew that happened to our own created sims, but it used to not happen to what is considered the Legacy EA sims like the Goths. I will see if they changed that - if they did that is really sad. But then I did move them without a sims in IP in edit town, so maybe they stuck. I'll have to check later though as I need to go start dinner. I do hope they are still there though, as I have the Goths newest generation started.

Yeah it has several ghosts - I use it all the time - I replace the house with the same one in the game. I don't know if it makes a difference but I always make my newly moved in sims each mourn the sims graves for a couple days - then the ghosts will start to appear like the third day. I don't know if they will do it without the mourning or without sims living in the house to activate them - but a sims guru told me a long time ago that where ever you see a grave with a name and not just remains - to have sims mourn it and it will trigger the ghosts - so I do that to every urn or gravestone I find in a new world or on a lot I add to the game and always get ghost. The thing is it must have a name on it to get a ghost - "remains" won't get ghosts.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    The thing is it must have a name on it to get a ghost - "remains" won't get ghosts.

Yes. That is what I mean when I say "real tombstone." A tombstone with a name. "Remains" in my mind is just window dressing and not "real." I didn't know the bit about mourning. I play the Goths a lot and the ghosts on their lot just come out automatically. Some nights there would be ghost traffic jambs in Gunther and Cornelia's bedroom what with Simon and Prudence and Gretle passing out all the time.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well they do in SSV because they are programmed to - I am talking about when you add a lot to the bin with ghosts on it and then use that lot in the world - that sometimes it is like the ghosts get stuck in the transition and they won't come out - but mourning them will or at least did seem to jump start this issue. Where you didn't see them in that lot, you may have been playing the added house, but they were possibly stuck and why you probably did not see there were ghosts there. I generally don't wait to see if they will appear with a binned lot, and just make the family mourn them the minute I move a family in - just in case.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I uploaded the Old Town Funeral Home with some ghosts. The bigger cemetery I may work on later. I will eventually just have to upload the whole world as a save file, as not everyone is comfortable with using mods like you are, so others may not be able to link family members together. It isn't as bad with Grey Meadow Manor since nobody of the Montgomery, Foster, or Donaldson families are related to anyone outside of that lot.
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7594024

Also, here is a list of how to link them:
    Lilias Grimebell- Wife to Patrick Grimebell. Mother of Alistair Grimebell, Kenneth Grimebell, and Donella Grimebell.
    Ming Grimebell- Wife to Alistair Grimebell. Mother of Earl Grimebell.
    Lorraine Quailhogs- Wife to Herbert J. Quailhogs. Mother of Claudia Quailhogs and August Quailhogs.
    Edgar Blightwood- Father of Shaw Blightwood and Dorian Blightwood.
    Sophia Blightwood- Mother of Shaw Blightwood and Dorian Blightwood.
    Clayton Blightwood- Brother of Shaw Blightwood and Dorian Blightwood.
    Annabelle Blightwood- Sister of Shaw Blightwood and Dorian Blightwood.
    Yuri Rutsky- Father of Wendy Stevens.
    Bentley Rosebud- No relatives.
    Clyde Burke- Brother of Dale Burke Sr. and Anna Burke.
    Bob Sheridan- Father of Diane Burke.
    Barb Sheridan- Mother of Diane Burke.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Thanks Quailhogs - very much appreciate this. downloaded.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    This is Ever-Grey Gardens, the other cemetery.
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7618819

Ernest Radford- Father of Gary Radford.
    Betty Radford- Mother of Gary Radford.
    Beatrice Radford- Sister of Gary Radford.
    Sean Radford- Brother of Gary Radford.
    George Burke- Father of Dale Burke Sr. and Clyde Burke.
    Margaret Kramer- Mother of Harrison Kramer and Ross Kramer.
    Stanley Kramer- Father of Harrison Kramer and Ross Kramer.
    Quidel Azure- Father of Millaray Grimebell and Aylen LaSalle (Aylen Azure in upcoming version)
    Rose Azure- Father of Millaray Grimebell and Aylen LaSalle (Aylen Azure in upcoming version)
    Barney McGuinness- Father of Doyle McGuinness.
    Dorothy McGuinness- Mother of Doyle McGuinness.
    Dervila McGuinness- Grandmother of Doyle McGuinness.

You may have noticed that Jakob Quailhogs II, whom is mentioned several times, is not buried in either of these cemeteries. That's because he only set foot in Grey Meadow once, and he wouldn't ever want to be there again, even if he was dead.

Gary Radford was not included in the previous version of Grey Meadow. He will be returning to the version that I am currently working on.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Thank you. :D

In dreams - I LIVE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top