Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Grey Meadow, the Industrial Hub

Comments

• Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited September 2013
    Oh, wow! Sorry I was so slow to notice the new graveyards. I was off in la-la land trying to get my lifeguard/diver to find the last hidden island in Isla Paradiso (without cheating.) Finally came up for air and noticed this thread again. No one has ever built something just because I asked! That's cool. Thank you! Going to play with my new graveyards now...... :lol:
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I am really looking forward to your latest revisions to Grey Meadow. In particular, I am anticipating whatever dive lot(s) and festival grounds you come up with in your uniquely Victorian Gothic style.

If you hadn't considered it I am hoping you might consider creating some kind of Mad Scientist's Laboratory as a community lot hangout which features University objects.

As a stop-gap I made a some very quick and dirty changes to your Science Lab lot to satisfy my short-term wants with respect to University objects in Grey Meadow.

Here are some photos. They are nothing special and lack your creative flare but get the objects onto a community lot for my Grey Meadows game.

Screenshot-20.jpg

Screenshot-21-1.jpg

Screenshot-22-1.jpg

Screenshot-24-1.jpg
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    edited September 2013
    Hi Quail! Thanks for the links to the graveyards...wow, ghost central. :lol:

Can't wait for your update of GM. :mrgreen:
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Barney McGuiness just passed out at the sight of Dervila McGuiness in Ever-Grey Gardens... :lol:
  • Options
    OilbasedoleanderOilbasedoleander Posts: 2,967 Member
    edited September 2013
    *wave* Hello Quail!
    I'm having slight technical difficulties with your world. I'm not terribly good working my way around issues with computers, so if someone else can also help me it would be appreciated.

I'm having troubles loading a saved Grey Meadows game. I have the newest version, which is stunning as can be! And I enjoyed countless hours playing last night with no issues.
    No lag.
    No problems saving.

Ran like a dream!

But this morning I find I can not load my game. I get the dreaded 'The Sims 3 has stopped working' and crash to desktop.
    I went through, removed all those sneaky CC that got into my game, deleted MissingDeps file, and am still unable to load it. :[

Is anyone else having troubled? Or could give me some advice? I don't want to lose all that I've worked on.
    Thank you very much in advance!

Also I am updated to the newest patch, and Origin is up to date as well.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2013
    I have no had any problems with this version of Grey Meadows - but I also haven't played it since IP came out. I was playing Stoneshields that is updated to IP since Ip came out up until this week and I am testing 3 worlds. But no problem with the saves at all at least up until IP came out. This is the world I was mostly playing since Seasons and Uni came out. So I have no idea. I would not have deleted that file you deleted though as that is part of the DCCache store contents files and liked the dcbackup ccmerged file should never be deleted. But I would guess that was after your problem. Usually if your problem was a corrupt save, the files to delete are the cache files not in a folder. They are just lose in the Sims 3 folder. The only folder item I delete if I have a corrupt save is the two World Cache files for the world with the issue. If CC not made by EA is an issue you need to first uninstall it through installed content of the launcher and then you can delete the dbc file that is in dccache file. It will remove all the third party CC and it will usually be 1 file - that ends in dbc - like mine is dcdb0.dbc - the rest are all store files. But that is the only file in that folder you should ever remove unless you wanted to reinstall all your store content.

But if that save corrupted there is no way I know of for you to access it if it won't allow you to load it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited September 2013
    So I started anew, but kept the old save just in case I do find a way to fix it. I'm doing things different, saving as 'save as' instead of just save. Also I'm not laying down any more base lots, I hear this sort of borks the game and neighborhoods and can cause issues. I'm just going to add my builds on lots already existing.

Thank for getting back to me Reg, this world is one of my all-time favorites to play~ So I was so disgruntled to have to start over due to save issues. Oh well...
    I've had this problem before. I love this game so much but the glitches kill me some times. Haha.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    That's the truth. I just noticed it seems EA broke one of the fixes with the latest patch - you probably won't see it if you use OW - but I see it - it was where all sims in a world gather junky cars in their inventory - well EA fixed that back around SN and it has been great, now all the sims in the 3 worlds I am testing are gathering tons of junk cars again. It is real annoying to those of us who test and can't use mods.

But yeah, I definitely know the glitches. Also Quailhigs is working on an IP update for this world as well in between working on his new world, but I hear real life got a bit busy - so he will probably be a while. Like you I do love this world the best. I have been playing this one since the first version. It is so perfect also for SN and Seasons too.

Yes using the WE is useless that has been broke a long time now. It breaks the routing if you place lots with it - so it is pretty much useless. Lots of complaints on that. Well you have fun, I am just running around give test reports from todays testings. Hope this save goes better.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I have been playing Grey Meadow recently and have been fortunate enough not to get any game corruptions. Unlike Writin_Reg I use Twallan's mods which have been the only thing that has made The Sims 3 playable for me for the last several expansions. Overwatch takes care of the junk car issue. A lot of people who use his mods like to use Error_Trap. I am not really sure what it does but it has something to do with preventing game corruptions that cause games not to load. It does a lot when traveling and loading up WA worlds and the Uni world. I ran with it for a while and wasn't sure if it was helping or not.

Without any facts my instincts tell me that this problem could have happened with any EA world and is more likely an EA bug rather than a Grey Meadow issue.

If you continue to encounter this problem on other saved games you might give Twallan's mods a try. MasterController also helps out a lot.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    That's the truth. I just noticed it seems EA broke one of the fixes with the latest patch - you probably won't see it if you use OW - but I see it - it was where all sims in a world gather junky cars in their inventory - well EA fixed that back around SN and it has been great, now all the sims in the 3 worlds I am testing are gathering tons of junk cars again. It is real annoying to those of us who test and can't use mods.

But yeah, I definitely know the glitches. Also Quailhigs is working on an IP update for this world as well in between working on his new world, but I hear real life got a bit busy - so he will probably be a while. Like you I do love this world the best. I have been playing this one since the first version. It is so perfect also for SN and Seasons too.

Yes using the WE is useless that has been broke a long time now. It breaks the routing if you place lots with it - so it is pretty much useless. Lots of complaints on that. Well you have fun, I am just running around give test reports from todays testings. Hope this save goes better.
    Sincerbox wrote:
    I have been playing Grey Meadow recently and have been fortunate enough not to get any game corruptions. Unlike Writin_Reg I use Twallan's mods which have been the only thing that has made The Sims 3 playable for me for the last several expansions. Overwatch takes care of the junk car issue. A lot of people who use his mods like to use Error_Trap. I am not really sure what it does but it has something to do with preventing game corruptions that cause games not to load. It does a lot when traveling and loading up WA worlds and the Uni world. I ran with it for a while and wasn't sure if it was helping or not.

Without any facts my instincts tell me that this problem could have happened with any EA world and is more likely an EA bug rather than a Grey Meadow issue.

If you continue to encounter this problem on other saved games you might give Twallan's mods a try. MasterController also helps out a lot.

It seems that not even my new saved files work now. I'm getting the same 'The Sims 3 has stopped working' and it closes to desktop on me while they try and load. BOTH the back up file and the recent ones are corrupted, it's enough to make me pull out my hair. I have a feel this will happen to other worlds as well... I'm afraid to start a new game at all, because all progress will be pointless...

Can you help me find these Twallan's mods? (though it's silly we need mods to run this game properly :/) And directions to downloading them properly? I hope this will fix my issue, because I can't start over a third time~

Thanks you guys for being helpful! I appreciate it!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Are you sure you have no CC in your game as that is the only thing that consistently can create a corrupt game besides an out of date mod. If it was the world or the fact you don't have the mods mentioned how would you explain I have all the eps, sps, and the whole3 store in my game and do not get that problem - on top of it I am playing the game 12 hours a day everyday since the week IP came out and no problem with my saves. I am testing 3 user worlds besides all the ea and store world and 30 other user worlds I play all have saves with no issues - but I never use CC and I don't use mods. You need to know what you are doing to run Error Trap - it is a core mod so it requires a lot more if you use it and decide you can't use it or don't want it - it affects your whole game so when it is removed you need to follow the procedure needed to clean the correction errir trap makes in the files. I have found ET more troublesome than it is worth and disagree about it preventing corruption.

But I have no idea why you game is constantly corrupting if it is not content related. Like did you update the mods you do use after the recent patch. Mods have to be updated with every game update. CC has to be checked also to see if it needs updates - some do - depending on what is in the update and what the CC is.

What I would suggest is you probably need to reset your folders - if you have no idea what I am talking about check Crinricts troubleshooting help thread oven in technical. The instructions are there.

But if you want mods - http://nraas.wikispaces.com/
    Post edited by Unknown User on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Are you sure you have no CC in your game as that is the only thing that consistently can create a corrupt game besides an out of date mod. If it was the world or the fact you don't have the mods mentioned how would you explain I have all the eps, sps, and the whole3 store in my game and do not get that problem - on top of it I am playing the game 12 hours a day everyday since the week IP came out and no problem with my saves. I am testing 3 user worlds besides all the ea and store world and 30 other user worlds I play all have saves with no issues - but I never use CC and I don't use mods. Tou need to know what you are doing to run Error Trap - it is a core mod so it requires a lot more if you use it and decide you can't use it or don't want it - it affects your whole game so when it is removed you need to follow the procedure needed to clean the correction errir trap makes in the files. I have found ET more troublesome than it is worth and disagree about it preventing corruption.

But I have no idea why you game is constantly corrupting if it is not content related. Like did you update the mods you do use after the recent patch. Mods have to be updated with every game update. CC has to be checked also to see if it needs updates - some do - depending on what is in the update and what the CC is.

What I would suggest is you probably need to reset your folders - if you have no idea what I am talking about check Crinricts troubleshooting help thread oven in technical. The instructions are there.

But if you want mods - http://nraas.wikispaces.com/

I totally didn't mean to hijak his thread with my problems, so I won't chat about it anymore, however, I'm noticing in technical discussion I am not the only one experiencing this problem as of this patch.
    And Yes I'm sure about the CC :]
    I just uninstalled everything, reinstalled, and I will try again, with a fresh slate. Thank you for your link Reg! I will definitely use it~ You're a big help!! :D If I had cookies, you would have like... 7 of them. Haha <3
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Awww thanks- I do hope you get it sorted - has to be frustrating for sure. But if I hear anything from any one else then having this problem - if they get it sorted I will surely let you know. Good Luck hon.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Are you sure you have no CC in your game as that is the only thing that consistently can create a corrupt game besides an out of date mod.

If my memory serves me you have a better than average PC. I suspect a lot of these game corruption issues have nothing to do with CC. I have read a lot of people have issues recently. My suspicions are that people are relying on the official minimum specs for the game and believing that the game should run just fine on their PC. Maybe so with the base game only. Not if they have several or all expansions and stuff packs. It's always been my sense the minimum specs are inadequate.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Yes I do have a good pc and a advantage that not a lot of simmers have - my hubby is a PC tech, so he keeps my system running mint and fairly up to date, mainly to keep me quiet as I am fairly pc savvy and will drive him nits if something is not running exactly right. So yes, I do have an advantage - but if the issue is an actual game issue - everyone should have it, not just a few. There are some game issues I know for a fact, but because I am fairly good at troubleshooting most issues and can find ways around things without mods because I do test worlds and mods can sometimes be more helpful than one needs to eradicate real issues in a world, I won't use them. I assure that would change once the Sims 3 is done and people stop needing me to test worlds as troubleshooting is time consuming where mods like Overwatch can remove issues in a single sweep that I take care of the hard way just so it does not fix something else before I can find the trouble in the worlds. That said there are plenty of testers that do test with mods and do a very good testing job - I am not one of those. As I have really never been mod dependent as far as gaming is concerned. So you could say I do have a lot of advantages over others - but I agree it is a harder way of playing for sure.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    So yes, I do have an advantage - but if the issue is an actual game issue - everyone should have it, not just a few.

This is the only part of your statement I disagree with.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Well if you believe that, then I guess you are entitled. But if that was the case - then I would not ever have hope the game would ever be fixable because programming will not be broke for just some people. It either works or it doesn't. Some machines may handle bugs better than others, but the bug will still be there.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Well if you believe that, then I guess you are entitled. But if that was the case - then I would not ever have hope the game would ever be fixable because programming will not be broke for just some people. It either works or it doesn't. Some machines may handle bugs better than others, but the bug will still be there.

There are programming errors that won't manifest on high-end PC's. The errors are there but you just may never experience them. There are also all kinds of errors that exist that people don't see happen or experience because they have not tried a certain combination. Someone who has never had special seeds in their sims' inventories never had trouble fishing or shopping at the grocery store. I disagree that if only a few people experience a bug then it must therefore not be a bug.
  • Options
    QuailhogsQuailhogs Posts: 933 Member
    edited September 2013
    Sorry for the delay. I uploaded a test version of the world. I did not specify the software you need to use this world since the last time I uploaded something the website did that for me... but not this time. This version requires World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, and Island Paradise.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7681695

I customized some of the files to make this world especially grey. If you like blue skies, you will hate this version... since the skies are grey. The sun is also grey. The ocean is pretty grey too.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Quailhogs wrote:
    Sorry for the delay. I uploaded a test version of the world. I did not specify the software you need to use this world since the last time I uploaded something the website did that for me... but not this time. This version requires World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, and Island Paradise.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7681695

I customized some of the files to make this world especially grey. If you like blue skies, you will hate this version... since the skies are grey. The sun is also grey. The ocean is pretty grey too.

I cannot wait to try it. I have been several weeks into my current Grey Meadow game. And I have been itching to try something new.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    OOO Thank you Quailhogs - I know I will love it even more than ever. Thanks so much. Highly appreciated.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    QuailhogsQuailhogs Posts: 933 Member
    edited September 2013
    Hopefully you will. I uploaded some pictures onto Tumblr since the bandwidth is being annoying (okay, never mind; it resets today).

http://quailhogs.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    gamemagggamemagg Posts: 2,485 Member
    edited September 2013
    Hello,

Thank you Quailhogs for the update :D
  • Options
    Greenb70Greenb70 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited September 2013
    Looking forward to seeing the changes you have made.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Just letting you know I checked it out last night - a quick check actually - mostly visual as I only had about an hour in here but love the way the docks came out - it looks very fitting for this world. I am presently testing 3 different worlds - so didn't get a lot of time to hard test it, but hopefully will get to start a brand new game in here - maybe by Friday to make sure everything runs smooth. I did not see any issues though - a tiny bit of stutter but I believe that was just starting a new game thing with stuff starting to spawn. Usually it takes me about 5 sims days for those to subside in most worlds - and I was only in here for through the beginning of the third sim day. Had to quit when hubby got up for work so didn't really get much done - or into the water at all. But I think that dock looks perfect for here.

Again thanks.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top