Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Overlook Bay - WIP [Updated Aug 31, 2010 - BETA testing resumed!]

Comments

• Options
    twinsimstwinsims Posts: 69 New Member
    edited January 2010
    I would love it if you could make the downtown area a bit bigger - I've been wanting to have a city map, and your downtown area is almost big enough - I want to be able to build/buy a house that is surrounded by lots. Yours almost is, but according to the map on the first page, the area of downtown has some empty patches - no lots. Just add some empty lots there, maybe? So people can make is a bigger downtown if they choose to.

I'm kind of tired of the usual suburbia and your map is so diverse. I LOVE the sidewalks between the small lots, I want to build a house on a small lot on a sidewalk in the middle of a bunch of tight-knit lots. I can do that with yours. >.> Just a few more empty lots surrounding your downtown area?

To end, you are awesome, and I am waiting for an update on your to-do list. I offer hugs if it's appropriate.
  • Options
    Panther00567Panther00567 Posts: 2,704 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Wow, amazing world! I'll definetally be DLing this one when it's finished! :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also, did you still need some lot builders? I have wanted to try building some urban/city houses on smaller lots. I tend to make them a bit more modern with lots of windows and light woods with bright colours otherwise. What size are some of those downtown residential lots? I could find a similar lot size from Sunset Valley or Riverview and build.

Might take me until the weekend (or through the weekend) to build, though. Gives me something to work towards, though. I generally play legacies and have wanted to try and build a house that will fit a big family and everything that's collected over generations.

If you're up for it, can I build with WA items? A basement would be a must.

Yay for babbling.

Edit: I could build a small library too, if you like. I am a librarian in real life and think it would be fun. Or I could do a bookstore and throw in the cash register and such. (I think? Haven't tried building lots with cash registers yet. Or I can build the lot and you can place it and do what's needed with it to make it work?)
  • Options
    debra1970pdebra1970p Posts: 4,652 Member
    edited January 2010
    Great pics! Your world looks awesome
  • Options
    mmmcheezy225mmmcheezy225 Posts: 631 Member
    edited January 2010
    Wow.
    I love the scenery, the flora, the layout, the diversity, the waterfall, the island, the mountains... :shock:

Just wow.
  • Options
    MizanaMizana Posts: 79 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Hey I might be able to make some farms for the farm area if you want, I'd just need the lot dimensions. I love building farms, I never get to uploading them though...

I love the design of the lots on the trailer park too! Its a great idea :3 Heck I could build some dinky trailers too, or anything else for that matter. Contact me or something :3
  • Options
    ClawswpClawswp Posts: 470 New Member
    edited January 2010
    I jsut read your plan its so detailed and you have put so much work into it, it is amazing! I also want to have some small sim camp sites at the parks. I tried testing a tent from WA, i got the tent by putting a WA camping site lot onto the park...the sim went to sleep i woke her up and she had a bad 'needs sleep' moodlet, even though she was not tired and her bar was full. ..i then tried another tent from another lot (i got them from china) and this time nothing bad happened.I am not sure if i had done something different like maybe move the tent or if it was jsut a glich with that tent/lot.
    I was going to have them be able to buy tents from the store but the general store register does not work. wierd huh.

I think your map and layout is awesome. :D
  • Options
    RetroFlowerRetroFlower Posts: 28 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Wow, you've done such an amazing job on this!
    I think you've put it so much work and I've downloaded a few towns from the exchange, but by far this is the only one I wanna play! It looks so amazing and I'll favourite this post and keep reading to see progress :)
  • Options
    LeeMortisLeeMortis Posts: 557 Member
    edited January 2010
    Pyronium3 wrote:
    This is looking better with each update! I really like it thus far, and am excited to see how it develops along the way! :)

Thanks, and right back atcha! I'm keeping a good eye on your Neverglade as well. Looks like a very nice town, with great colors. I'll be certain to give your world a go once available as well.
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    I massively envy your skills. Just plain marvelous! What more is there to say? Totally looking forward to the day you say - "it's ready for download."

I keep thinking what a wonderful place to be able to go to for escaping winter doldrums. In the real world all I see is snow and more snow and a bleak, cold world. Yours looks so warm and inviting.

I'm loving it.

Thanks. I can't stand the winter myself, and I too can't wait to finish this world so I can start playing it :)
    sirhc121 wrote:
    This world looks great so far! Can't wait to see more.

Thank You!
    twinsims wrote:
    I would love it if you could make the downtown area a bit bigger - I've been wanting to have a city map, and your downtown area is almost big enough - I want to be able to build/buy a house that is surrounded by lots. [snip] Just add some empty lots there, maybe? [snip]

I LOVE the sidewalks between the small lots, I want to build a house on a small lot on a sidewalk in the middle of a bunch of tight-knit lots.

2nd Post

Also, did you still need some lot builders? [snip] What size are some of those downtown residential lots? I could find a similar lot size from Sunset Valley or Riverview and build.

Edit: I could build a small library too, if you like. [snip] Or I could do a bookstore and throw in the cash register and such. [snip]

Lots of stuff to respond to here :) And, thank you for your kind comments.

The downtown area has been slightly enlarged from the Map View picture I posted (which seems like ages ago). The emptiness in the central area was intended though, around the park, but I've added a couple of community lots and two more apartment complexes (with the hope that we'll get an apartments EP in the future).

I'm guessing the sidewalks between lots you're talking about comes from the view from the Overlook pic on Page 1, where we see downtown below. Actually... those are not sidewalks, but plain and simple concrete. The entire downtown area is painted with concrete, but since I painted after placing lots, the lots themselves show up as green from a distance. This will be fixed shortly by redrawing the lots.

And... lot builders are definitely needed. Up to 152 lots as of now with 3-6 more to be added, and there is no realistic chance of me creating all those lots :) A list of available lots and some rules and regulations will be posted once I've locked the layout. Then a template version of the hood will be uploaded for people to help build lots on.

About the library, though, I already have one that I built for Sunset Valley that I'm planning to use in Overlook Bay as well (slightly modified). The bookstore idea sounds like a good alternative to the Rabbit Hole bookstore. We're going to need lots of downtown stores and things that there is no real need for in terms of gameplay... but a downtown would not be a downtown if it wasn't packed with shops, restaurants and all that jazz. Future EP's will help us replace some useless lots with new stuff.
    Wow, amazing world! I'll definetally be DLing this one when it's finished! :)

Thanks.
    debra1970p wrote:
    Great pics! Your world looks awesome

Again... Thanks.
    Wow.
    I love the scenery, the flora, the layout, the diversity, the waterfall, the island, the mountains... :shock:

Just wow.

Thanks. The diversity is really one of the main "themes", or rather what I wanted to do to have just the one world that I would love to play in for the duration of the Sims 3 series. I'm not one to start new games all the time, and so I will play just the one hood, generation after generation, and that requires a town with a lot of diversity, so I can go from living in the mountains, to the beach, the city or enjoy the quiet life at the farm.
    Mizana wrote:
    Hey I might be able to make some farms for the farm area if you want, I'd just need the lot dimensions. I love building farms, I never get to uploading them though...

I love the design of the lots on the trailer park too! Its a great idea :3 Heck I could build some dinky trailers too, or anything else for that matter. Contact me or something :3

Great. The way I see it right now will probably see the farms being built by other people than me, so those would be up for grabs. The trailer park, however, I have always meant to build myself.

Keep your eyes peeled over the weekend for when the build list is posted, and the Build Template version of this world will hopefully be available by then.
    Clawswp wrote:
    I jsut read your plan its so detailed and you have put so much work into it, it is amazing! I also want to have some small sim camp sites at the parks. I tried testing a tent from WA, i got the tent by putting a WA camping site lot onto the park...the sim went to sleep i woke her up and she had a bad 'needs sleep' moodlet, even though she was not tired and her bar was full. ..i then tried another tent from another lot (i got them from china) and this time nothing bad happened.I am not sure if i had done something different like maybe move the tent or if it was jsut a glich with that tent/lot.
    I was going to have them be able to buy tents from the store but the general store register does not work. wierd huh.

I think your map and layout is awesome. :D

Thank You. Yeah, a large project like this required some planning, or I'll be completely lost on what to do.

The camping part is bugging me. I looked in BuyDebug, and found the tents there, but they're all packed down when I place them. I haven't found a way to have them set up. The store thing will probably not be possible either, except for possibly a food register to buy some eats for the road. However, that's not really necessary as you can just pack some fruits in your inventory.
    Wow, you've done such an amazing job on this!
    I think you've put it so much work and I've downloaded a few towns from the exchange, but by far this is the only one I wanna play! It looks so amazing and I'll favourite this post and keep reading to see progress :)

Thank You.

Glad to hear you all are enjoying the pictures. I'm certainly enjoying the building process (even though I wish I were done). I'll see how much I can get done today, as I have a lot of other stuff that needs to be taken care of as well, but hopefully I'll be able to do the new church and graveyard area and the Dark Forest complete.

If I manage that today... all that is left to do is the mountain area, and then the boring, but necessary, task of trying to get rid of all lot and road tearings.

Later, dudes (and dudettes)
  • Options
    brunocbreisbrunocbreis Posts: 28 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Wow, that looks like an amazing job! I'm looking forward to downloading it :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wow, that looks like an amazing job! I'm looking forward to downloading it :D

Thanks. I'm getting more and more excited about this project myself with each day. I am really enjoying myself making this world right now, but I can barely wait to see it finished.

Got a few new screenies for you guys today. I've been working the "Dark Forest" area today, and within it you will find (among other things) the church and graveyard. Tomorrow I'll do the mountains, and if all goes well that means all the terrain will have been done!

After that - before I upload the template version for those of you looking to help me build - I will redo all the roads and lots to see if I can't get rid of all that tearing... I think I may be on to something after a minor experiment today.

Enough of the chit-chat already... on to today's picture update:

Well, I didn't give you a downtown pic yesterday, so I just put a couple of buildings down to give you a sneak preview.
    Note: Those two will (most likely) be right where I put them for this pic, though with some minor modifications from what you see.
    2uehgjo.jpg

This is where the church and graveyard will be built in the Dark Forest.
    iggfbm.jpg

Here is a lot space for a fishing pond in the middle of the forest.
    am7atx.jpg

I moved the church and graveyard, and where it is located on the Map Pic, instead there will be a TV-Station.
    2lxhwl3.jpg

And now... the first official building to be found in Overlook Bay - a Shack In The Woods!
    29m2ixd.jpg

Let's have a closer look, shall we?
    fonpj6.jpg
    This house is already available for download, as it was originally built for the lot by the waterfall in Sunset Valley. I liked it so much I designed this area for it in Overlook Bay as well.
    Find it here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=38084

Well, that's it for today. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

And, please - any comments, suggestions or anything else you want to opinion about is more than welcome - I'm just trying to make a great world to play in, and hopefully a lot of you guys will enjoy it as much as I will.
  • Options
    snuttdisnuttdi Posts: 270 Member
    edited January 2010
    LeeMortis

Hey! What a world! Looking real good. I love the road that curves going up into the mountains...nice scenery and colors!

The hideout site should be fun to explore.

About the tents...I had to use my sim to set up the tents "in game". You may have to go that route...not sure if that's the only way, but, it worked for me.

I concur with the general census here on this thread...you are doing a fantastic job with your world and the "diversity" everyone is speaking of is truly a good idea to have in one big world. Good looking out for future EPs too!

Keep pressing forward!!!!
  • Options
    Gtompkins48Gtompkins48 Posts: 477 Member
    edited January 2010
    I am very interested in this world and cannot wait until it is released!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Looks amazing!

(I share this account with my twin, hence the name Twinsims.)

I love the map, I hope you do throw random lots out in the middle of nowhere to add random pools and community lots and such. And I think my sister touched on this - in the downtown area, in the residential area, what I envision is sidewalks behind and between every house, so we can have back gates and I'd love it.

As for spawners, are you putting in everything, or only the base game ones? I love WA but I hate having to travel. I love having collector sims and getting everything. Hopefully you put in everything, it's a big enough map to.

I may be rambling, it's what I get for being out of bed when I'm sick.

Can't wait for this to be finished, it is exactly what both of us have been wanting. We're hopeless with CAW so very much love to you (<3) for making such a wonderful world.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    snuttdi wrote:
    LeeMortis

Hey! What a world! Looking real good. I love the road that curves going up into the mountains...nice scenery and colors!

The hideout site should be fun to explore.

About the tents...I had to use my sim to set up the tents "in game". You may have to go that route...not sure if that's the only way, but, it worked for me.

I concur with the general census here on this thread...you are doing a fantastic job with your world and the "diversity" everyone is speaking of is truly a good idea to have in one big world. Good looking out for future EPs too!

Keep pressing forward!!!!

Thanks. Glad you liked the road... so do I :) I just finished the part of it that goes up into the mountain today, and it was pure terror trying to get those guard rails on there. They were needed though, as there are some pretty scary parts on that road.

About the tents. Hmmm... Is that how they are in WA? Not set up on the lots? I am almost ashamed to say I haven't played WA yet, as I've been too busy working on my town. So maybe the Camp Overlook just needs a few tent packs lying around. I'll have to try some things out.
    I am very interested in this world and cannot wait until it is released!

Thanks. Neither can I :)
    twinsims wrote:
    Looks amazing!

(I share this account with my twin, hence the name Twinsims.)

I love the map, I hope you do throw random lots out in the middle of nowhere to add random pools and community lots and such. And I think my sister touched on this - in the downtown area, in the residential area, what I envision is sidewalks behind and between every house, so we can have back gates and I'd love it.

As for spawners, are you putting in everything, or only the base game ones? I love WA but I hate having to travel. I love having collector sims and getting everything. Hopefully you put in everything, it's a big enough map to.

I may be rambling, it's what I get for being out of bed when I'm sick.

Can't wait for this to be finished, it is exactly what both of us have been wanting. We're hopeless with CAW so very much love to you (<3) for making such a wonderful world.

Oh, so you're twins, eh?

About the sidewalks between houses... I kinda like it. Depends on what kind of housing I can get for those lots. If I'm able to collect the downtown Victorian style housing that is in my mind for the area, I may very well decide to pave the area and make it really seem like part of downtown.

All base-game spawners will be in the release version of town (not in the Build Template). However, I do want to keep the majority of Vacation stuff out of the home world - so I'm not likely to add the WA spawners. One or two of them maybe, as they would be realistically found in the setting I have created.

And, thanks for those kind words. I hope you two will enjoy playing this town when it is finally released.

No pictures for you people today, but I did finish half the mountain area as planned. I had hoped to have the energy/inspiration to do the entire mountain area, but those darn guard rails were driving me nuts. Not easy to place, I tell ya.

So... tomorrow I'll work on the Overlook Area - which should see the entire map finally decorated. Then I just need to have a good hard look at the roads and lots before I compile a Template Version and the building of lots shall begin!
  • Options
    nudic2nudic2 Posts: 126 New Member
    edited January 2010
    reminds me of a rich rural town, ill be getting once i get WA
  • Options
    Missaaliyah812Missaaliyah812 Posts: 618 Member
    edited January 2010
    It looks really good and I can see that you've put a lot of thought and hard work into this.
  • Options
    snuttdisnuttdi Posts: 270 Member
    edited January 2010
    LeeMortis

About the tents again...I've only used the buyDebug cheat once, maybe twice, to set up tents in various places other than a sim's lot. They come packed and I couldn't open them up. I actually had to direct my sim to the area I had them placed to open them up. I'm not sure of if they can be opened up another way or not. Oh! Yes, to the other part of your question, this happens in WA.

• Options
    edited January 2010
    DONE!!!

...at least with the initial landscaping on the whole map. I am quite pleased, I must say, and there are many interesting little areas for the Sims to explore. The diverse landscapes seem to blend together quite well, which is something I was worried about.

Next up, I will redo the roads and lots, and hopefully this will eliminate any tearing issues that I am currently having quite a few of. I guess that's to be expected since I've done a lot of sculpting on the land from the initial height map I used. And, much of this has been done after the majority of lots had been placed.

Also... I've updated the OP to reflect the current status of this world - so you may want to have a little read there too.

Anyway. Let's move on to the last picture update that you guys will get for a while. The last couple of days I've been focussing on the mountain areas, and I believe there are some quite nice looking pics to show from here, so you'll get a whole bunch today :)

LATEST PICTURES:

My new official "logo pic" for WIP Overlook Bay:
    2iizok9.jpg

The road leading up into the mountains:
    29kyzwp.jpg

There are some very scenic lots up in the mountains:
    Fancy building a gorgeous mountain house with a stunning view?
    sl4h3q.jpg

Part of the trail that will take you to The Overlook:
    i4oiv4.jpg

Just a pic to give you the scope of the majestic Overlook:
    Notice how small my Sim is up there?
    18gpd2.jpg

The Simhenge can be found in Overlook Bay:
    vdii9w.jpg

There are rumors of strange creatures living in this long abandoned mine:
    jrxma9.jpg

And finally... the view of the hills and mountain from across the river:
    2w5o7jr.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Just wanted to say that my initial testing of eliminating road and lot tearing appears to work very well. This should mean that I'm on schedule to bring out a BUILD TEMPLATE version of this hood within the next few days.

I hope you guys sign up to help me build beautiful lots for this hood.
  • Options
    RetroFlowerRetroFlower Posts: 28 New Member
    edited January 2010
    It's looking fantastic! The overlook is really impressive :D
  • Options
    startspringstartspring Posts: 639 Member
    edited January 2010
    Very nice! I'll be downloading this the minute it's finished. Man, I'm jealous of your talent and creativity :twisted: :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Looking forward to seeing the template so we can get building! Haven't been playing much as we haven't been able to find a world we like nearly as much.
  • Options
    startspringstartspring Posts: 639 Member
    edited January 2010
    twinsims wrote:
    Looking forward to seeing the template so we can get building! Haven't been playing much as we haven't been able to find a world we like nearly as much.

Same here. I've been "refining" my building skills instead. Maybe I can help out with a couple of houses :wink:
  • Options
    KyrstenAKyrstenA Posts: 1,893 Member
    edited January 2010
    This looks spectacular! I especially like the little island in the background of this picture that you put up:
    6tmzbs.jpg
    Will sims be able to reach the island, or is it just for looks?
    I will be following this. Amazing job! One of the most unique but still realistic ones I've seen yet :mrgreen: