Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Overlook Bay - WIP [Updated Aug 31, 2010 - BETA testing resumed!]

Comments

• NeverentNeverent Posts: 478 Member
    edited January 2010
    This is by far the best layed-out town that I've seen on here. I'm really impressed. I can't wait to see this completed!

I've been looking for successfully layed out towns because layout always seems to be the biggest problem that I see in people's neighborhoods. That includes myself.

Really awesomely put together!
  • snuttdisnuttdi Posts: 270 Member
    edited January 2010
    LeeMortis

Overlook Bay is a very detailed plan...looks good! So far it all looks good from the plans to the screen shots. I love how you have done the tropical area so far.

I have, and will continue to watch your world develop. Good job!

Bookmarked!
  • FlamewizoFlamewizo Posts: 183 Member
    edited January 2010
    Heya this is a really fascinating town from what i can see, i would be happy to help build a few homes i like to design plus if you need sims i would like to help with them, that is if you are happy for me to do so. This is an impressive project and deff one i would like to put to use in my sims world. Book marked
  • LeeMortisLeeMortis Posts: 557 Member
    edited January 2010
    Hi, guys.

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm sorry for the lack of updates, but I haven't had as much time to play with this as I would like. I'll hopefully get in a couple of hours of work on this world today.

Look for a couple of new pictures later on. And, maybe at the weekend or beginning of next week I'll be close enough to completing the base world that it will be time to get started on some lots.

Thank you all for your positive comments.
    edited January 2010
    Ok. I promised some new pictures today, and so I will keep my word on that... despite the fact I haven't been able to complete an area to satisfaction yet. I remember reading someone saying that creating the world maps was the easy part, and that lots were harder to build. Well, I beg to differ. I feel like I'm working on one GIANT lot, doing this world. I'm putting a lot of time and effort into each area to make them interesting in game. I don't want just the lots to be fun places to explore... anywhere you go in this town will be a nice looking place to investigate.

Also... I had to redo the entire area before I started decorating, as I found that the terrain paint for the crops could not be rotated, and it didn't look good when they didn't line up with the roads. I took this opportunity to expand from three farm houses to four, as well as add a community lot that will become an orchard where you can send your Sims to harvest many a fruit and vegetable.

Anyway... here are some pictures of the farm area that I've been working on today. Still some more fine-tuning to do, but it's decent enough that I'm confident of showing a couple of pics. This time taken right out of CAW, rather than the game like I used to.

LATEST PICTURES:

Here you see pretty much the entire farming area:
    i21u9k.png

The area between the two "main" farm houses:
    5miv54.jpg

Dirt road and a barn:
    pwqit.jpg

Entry road into the farming area, from the main road:
    2833hu.jpg
  • SophieeSimSophieeSim Posts: 336 Member
    edited January 2010
    Farming area looks great! I love the dirt road effect! I haven't yet brought myself around to fiddling with the custom roads! CAW is slowly sapping the life out of me! Looking forward to seeing more!
  • ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited January 2010
    wow...your world is looking fantastic! I really like how you did the farmland. :D I got your message, and if you want to use any of my houses in your world, that is just fine with me as long as the house description credits me properly. Cant wait to see what you do with this...I can see that it is going to be wonderful.
  • MickydMickyd Posts: 117 New Member
    edited January 2010
    The combinations of your amazing layout and ruthless_kk's perfect house work would really set the whole thing off, whata great combo :D

Yes finally people are making worlds worth playing.

all i got to say is awesome.
  • snuttdisnuttdi Posts: 270 Member
    edited January 2010
    LeeMortis

That farmland looks absolutely amazing!

Wow!!!
    edited January 2010
    Flamewizo wrote:
    Heya this is a really fascinating town from what i can see, i would be happy to help build a few homes i like to design plus if you need sims i would like to help with them, that is if you are happy for me to do so. This is an impressive project and deff one i would like to put to use in my sims world. Book marked

Happy to hear that. I want to finish the basic landscaping of the hood before I upload a template version for builders to build on. Keep your eyes peeled for that. I'll probably make a new post in the Creative Corner with the complete list of lots that I'm hoping to get. That way I can reach out to those not interested in world building as well.
    SophieeSim wrote:
    Farming area looks great! I love the dirt road effect! I haven't yet brought myself around to fiddling with the custom roads! CAW is slowly sapping the life out of me! Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks. I'm quite happy with the dirt roads. I had to use terrain paint underneath, as the sidewalks and road left an ugly green strip of grass that didn't look natural. This way they became much more seamless and I think they look quite good... though, I'm not all that happy that the intersections become a darker color, despite using the exact same texture.
    wow...your world is looking fantastic! I really like how you did the farmland. I got your message, and if you want to use any of my houses in your world, that is just fine with me as long as the house description credits me properly. Cant wait to see what you do with this...I can see that it is going to be wonderful.

Thank You. That means a lot coming from such a well respected community member as yourself. I may very well take the liberty of using a couple of your houses, although I was hoping you'd be interested in building one or two specifically for this town ;) That way they would be certain to fit the environment perfectly.

The lots would be 20x30 and flat, so they could easily be used by anyone in any other world as well, of course. I placed a couple of your Victorian homes that were 20x30 onto the map during one test, and couldn't quite get that downtown feel that I am hoping for in the downtown Victorian area.

However, I will certainly find use for a couple of your excellent houses - and credit will, of course, be given properly (as it will to anyone who submits houses for this town).
    Mickyd wrote:
    The combinations of your amazing layout and ruthless_kk's perfect house work would really set the whole thing off, whata great combo

Yes finally people are making worlds worth playing.

all i got to say is awesome.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm really excited about using some of ruthless_kk's homes in my world. Already have a couple in the totally rebuilt Sunset Valley that I had been playing up until the release of CAW, when I knew I needed to build my own town to fully enjoy the game. I had my own town in Sims 2, and it just didn't do it for me in the Sims 3 when the entire place wasn't something I had created myself :)
    snuttdi wrote:
    LeeMortis

That farmland looks absolutely amazing!

Wow!!!

Thanks again.

My main problem right now is that I want to finish this darn thing :) But, I must not... and I repeat (to myself) must not fall for the temptation of just slapping together the remaining areas in order to complete it. Slow and steady... when done, I want to be about as happy with it as I can expect to be.

Well, I've pretty much completed the farmland area for now. Trying to figure out how best to blend the flora between the farmland and the tropical area as of now, so that it doesn't come across unnatural in game. Up north from the farmland area the "Dark Forest" will stretch up towards the mountains, and the graveyard and church will be found in that area.

However, I think my next step is to move across the map and do the area around the Military Base, up around the lake and the forested area between downtown and the mountains.

I know I said that I hope to have a template version ready during or after this weekend, but I can tell that that is not going to happen... so builders will not be getting a version of this world to build on until the next weekend or so.

Gosh! Do I want to be done with this already :)
  • ShaluaShalua Posts: 453 Member
    edited January 2010
    I have a feeling this is going to be an excellent world! :D

How did you get your dirt roads looking so perfect? I've been fiddling with my custom road for at least 30 minutes, and I keep getting these funny squares at the intersections that don't match up/line up with the sidewalk. Is there a certain file I'm not finding that I need to use for the intersection corners or something? I really want to use a dirt road but it looks really bad as-is... :?
  • magnetic_catmagnetic_cat Posts: 32 New Member
    edited January 2010
    This looks YUMMY. Love it. (And I'm pretttttty picky when it comes to user-made worlds...) This and Pyronium's Neverglade are the best I've seen so far.
    edited January 2010
    Shalua wrote:
    I have a feeling this is going to be an excellent world! :D

How did you get your dirt roads looking so perfect? I've been fiddling with my custom road for at least 30 minutes, and I keep getting these funny squares at the intersections that don't match up/line up with the sidewalk. Is there a certain file I'm not finding that I need to use for the intersection corners or something? I really want to use a dirt road but it looks really bad as-is... :?

Thanks. Yeah, those intersection and sidewalk issues were bugging me too, until I realized I just needed to make a terrain paint of the same texture and paint the areas underneath the roads. I made it so that the paint comes out to the sides irregularly as well, to create a more natural look.
    This looks YUMMY. Love it. (And I'm pretttttty picky when it comes to user-made worlds...) This and Pyronium's Neverglade are the best I've seen so far.

Thanks. And, yes, Neverglade too looks pretty interesting. There are a couple more that I like, but for me; nothing beats playing the game on your own world :)
  • ShaluaShalua Posts: 453 Member
    edited January 2010
    Oh THAT's how you did it! I can't believe I haven't thought of that. xD
    edited January 2010
    Well, I've been able to do the Military Base area as well as the area behind it towards the mountains and the waterfall. Here are the progress pictures of what I've been doing.

Next up, I will do the forested area around the 64x64 residential lots, and back behind the apartments, with the mountain area up until The Overlook.

LATEST PICTURES:

Overview of Military Base area (The actual base will be on that green patch):
    2i9dzk.jpg

As seen from atop the mountain:
    rva5u8.jpg

Some shooting ranges (about all I could come up with to build that, somewhat, worked):
    15qrvrc.jpg

The Waterfall area:
    2qmp2c2.jpg

And a closer picture of Sim fishing by the Waterfall:
    Compare to the earlier picture posted of same Sim fishing here...
    1199cls.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Well... apparently no interest in yesterday's picture update, but I'll go ahead and post the latest development pictures anyway.

Currently working on the wooded area between the Military Base and Downtown, covering the 64x64 Mansion lots that (if you look on the Map Picture on Page 1) can be found in the woods. This part is now all done, and tomorrow I will work on the downtown area itself (will be a nice change from all the trees I've been placing over the past few days).

Here goes:

This is the road leading out of Downtown and out to the three mansion lots:
    6ygnj8.jpg

Just a little hideout in the woods where you can treat yourself to some marshmallows:
    wgoozl.jpg

And, finally... yes... it's another fishing spot:
    331jfqe.jpg
  • SejikunSejikun Posts: 21 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Great screens love to see how this turns out eventually.
  • SarahC91SarahC91 Posts: 1,800 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Wow this town loooks amazing :D So well planned & thought out :) well done :)
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited January 2010
    Hi, LeeMortis

Your world is looking Fantastic. Keep it up. :mrgreen:
    edited January 2010
    Sejikun wrote:
    Great screens love to see how this turns out eventually.
    SarahC91 wrote:
    Wow this town loooks amazing So well planned & thought out well done
    Rflong7 wrote:
    Hi, LeeMortis

Your world is looking Fantastic. Keep it up.

Thanks, you guys. It's always nice to receive a little bit of praise for the work one is doing :) Makes it so much easier not to give up when the going gets tough... hehe.

Anyway... just popped in here to update a To Do list in the original post of this thread, where you can see what I have left to do, and where in the process I am. This way you can keep an eye on two things.

A) When the heck is this world going to be released already?

B) When can I get a template version of this town so I can start building a few nice looking lots for placement in town?

Thank you all for following the progress on this town!
    edited January 2010
    Didn't get a whole lot done yesterday as I didn't have the inspiration, but I made up for all that today, and finished both the downtown area and the hills area... so I'm right back on schedule.

I still suffer from a lot of road and lot tearing, and I will be banging my head against the wall repeatedly if I can't find a solution to this issue quickly once I'm done with all the sculpting and terrain. Even brand new roads I placed for the Suburbia type road suffered badly... so placing new doesn't seem to be the answer.

Anyway... here's a couple of pictures of the latest area completed (didn't take any downtown ones, because there isn't a whole lot there until I get some buildings onto it... right now it just looks like a large patch of concrete).

LATEST PICTURES:

The road leading down the hills toward downtown.
    2mx4tad.jpg

Same road from a different angle.
    Note to self: Forgot to terrain paint underneath dirt road... will do tomorrow
    mkgaoj.jpg

The trailer park area and the road leading up the hill toward the mountain.
    358pbth.jpg

End of Elm Lane - the new Suburbia street I added today.
    nlzktc.jpg

Path through the woods leading to a secret hideout at the base of the mountain.
    26419ms.jpg

My test-sim warming himself inside that little hideout.
    2373ba.jpg
  • Pyronium3Pyronium3 Posts: 443 New Member
    edited January 2010
    This is looking better with each update! I really like it thus far, and am excited to see how it develops along the way! :)
  • ClawswpClawswp Posts: 470 New Member
    edited January 2010
    I agree its looking fantastic :D
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2010
    I massively envy your skills. Just plain marvelous! What more is there to say? Totally looking forward to the day you say - "it's ready for download."

I keep thinking what a wonderful place to be able to go to for escaping winter doldrums. In the real world all I see is snow and more snow and a bleak, cold world. Yours looks so warm and inviting.

I'm loving it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• sirhc121sirhc121 Posts: 57 New Member
    edited January 2010
    This world looks great so far! Can't wait to see more.