Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Overlook Bay - WIP [Updated Aug 31, 2010 - BETA testing resumed!]

Comments

• GillieGillie Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited February 2010
    Looks like you can take a picnic at night now. :P

Love the glow at night. <3
  • SimCrazed32SimCrazed32 Posts: 856 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Wow! This is by far my favorite World. You've done an amazing job, and I can't wait t see it on the exchange!

:)
  • LeeMortisLeeMortis Posts: 557 Member
    edited February 2010
    Gillie & SimCrazed32: Thanks, You guys! Knowing that other's are eager to play my world as well really inspires me to keep going. It's a huge undertaking creating as large a world as this one (twice the size of Sunset Valley), and there have been some hard times. I've got great news today, though;

UPDATE FEB 6, 2010

I am pleased to announce that Overlook Bay (Base World) is now completed and locked down. It's been a long journey... and I was just now sitting there looking at my world when it really hit home. This place was nothing but a green blob on water when I started. Looking at it now I just realized how much work has gone into creating it. Every inch of that huge map has really undergone a pixelized version of a facelift, and I must say that I am very pleased with the end result.

The last thing on my ToDo list in CAW, until I start adding all the confirmed lots, was to add the Spawners. That alone took me ALL day today - and there are well over 100 spawn points in the town for you collectors/gardeners/fisher(wo)men. There should always be something interesting around the corner, but you will probably find yourself searching high and low before you can locate the more obscure things in game... or if you're lucky - you'll just stumble by one right away.

This does, however, not mean that it is almost done. With over 160 lots to be built, there is still plenty of work left before I can release this world to you all (and finally start playing it myself). I am quite relieved, at the moment, to know that I can now comfortably start building the lots I have assigned myself.

One step closer to completion!
  • Mourningdove00Mourningdove00 Posts: 346 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Will you release a version with just the community lots, jobs and rabbit holes??
    I like to do my own homes and parks, etc,,,
    I love your world which ever wayy you decide to release it,, I was just curious..

Anyway, great job,,, kudos to you
  • aanerezzaanerezz Posts: 64 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Congrats!
    I cant wait for the release of your world!
    So eager to play *bouncing up and down* :D:D:D

Quick question,
    if i dont have WA, will all the WA content be replaced by base game content
    or will your world be completely unplayable?
    :?
  • GerardoGerardo Posts: 77 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Great job! I enjoyed all your creativity. The ability to create something like this is art. You are a high range artist in the community. I hope we can play with your creation in the following months.

Thanks for sharing your work with us. I will be following this thread closely.

Gerardo.
  • MychuckyboyMychuckyboy Posts: 605 Member
    edited February 2010
    Sounds great! :) cant wait to see what it looks like when its done.
    edited February 2010
    Mourningdove00: I plan to release the town as complete as possible - with houses on all lots. But, you could always grab the build template and help build a few if you want ;) That way you'd already have some of your own houses in place and save you from bulldozing and replacing too much. I need all the help I can get.

Check this thread to see what is available, and then double check with me in that thread so that you don't build something I know someone else is working on.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/164811.page

aanerezz: Thank You. It is slowly getting nearer to release, and I can't wait myself. If possible, you should invest in WA if you want to play this hood. If I understand correctly, from readin on the forums, what happens if you don't is that objects simply don't load. They do not replace with anything else. This would mean that a LOT of the environment would go missing, as many trees and stuff are from WA. The beach areas in particular would suffer and it wouldn't be pretty I'd imagine.

The main problem though, would be the bridges. You would not be able to have a career in Military as there would be no way to reach the building without the bridge. Apart from that... I don't think there would be any completely game-breaking errors without WA. Of course, houses and lots shipped with the hood may also include WA objects, so you'd have to check on those to make sure they work properly as well.

Hope you get a chance to play (and, hey!, WA is a pretty good expansion when it comes down to it).

Gerardo: Thank You for those kind words. I have really enjoyed creating it so far, and I do hope it will bring a lot of joy to others out there as well.

Mychuckyboy: Thanks. It getting closer now :)
  • NeverentNeverent Posts: 478 Member
    edited February 2010
    Hello again, LeeMortis!

I have a huge favor to ask of you. Would it be possible to put your .world file into a zip and throw it up for download on megaupload (or a similar site)? You don't have to post it publically, if you want to email me the link at mes5352@psu.edu.

The reason I ask is PURELY for my own use, it will not be plagiarized or put up for download with modifications. I only want to observe how you did certain things, or change a couple things for my own playing.

What I'm saying is that it's only for me. You would have my permission to get me banned should you see that I repost something you've done -- because I won't.

Please do this for me! I do not have the will to make my own world anymore after seeing yours -- it's just too perfect for what I want to do. I see no point in working on my world.

I love your work, Lee.

::edit:: If you won't help me out, please let me know in this thread so I at least know to stop waiting -- I'll understand your reservations. But PLEASE keep in mind that you'll never suffer any negative ramifications by doing this for me.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited February 2010
    Neverent: I'm glad to hear that you really like my world. I am, however, sorry to tell you that I would not be comfortable uploading the work file. It's not that I don't believe you or anything - but more a matter of "ownage". It is like this; As a writer of fiction since many years back - what I create is mine. It is something I take pride in, and something which I have put a lot of heart and soul into creating. I would not, even for personal use, want anyone to take a piece of my fiction and rewrite it for their own reading purposes, if you know what I mean.

I hope this doesn't get you down or anything, but it's just that I would not ever feel comfortable knowing there was another copy of the workfile out there. Upload sites like MegaUpload and others are not entirely trustworthy either, so it could easily end up in someone elses hands.

Hope you will enjoy playing the world as I release it, though. And if you have any questions on how I did something, or want to suggest a thing or two (even though I have locked the town for further editing - except for possibly some additional terrain paint or adding/removing of game objects), I am listening.

I am sorry, but I hope you understand my reservations.
    edited February 2010
    I understand completely... it's sort of what I expected but it was worth a shot.

Thanks anyway. Is it possible to change street names in the game? (Is it as easy as renaming the lots?)

Your world is just too beautiful to not use... it'll work perfectly for my japanese town. I was making my own, but I'm just going to save my time. I'm going to add all my buildings to yours, rezone a couple lots to put apartments downtown and I'll be happy with that.

You have the best looking world on these forums. The detail is better than that of EAs.

Thanks so much for spending your time on this! I will not be uploading the world that I create from yours, since it's still YOUR's.

So I'll just play it myself :P
  • nudic2nudic2 Posts: 126 New Member
    edited February 2010
    amazing, ive fallen in love with the trailer park and the agricultural area.!!! must go get WA ASAP!!!!!!! will you be putting this up on the exchange or some other downloading site?? :shock:
    edited February 2010
    Neverent: Glad you don't feel too downhearted about it. About the street names, they can't be changed in game. I don't know if there is a hack out there somewhere which allows it though... I think I remember reading something like that at some point, but I can't remember for sure.

I would have no problem, however, if you want to upload a save-game with your japanese lots on it. As long as I'm given credit for the base hood - which they would need to download as well, though, for the save file to work.

Oh, and there are a total of 5 lots in the downtown area that I will be adding apartments to. In fact, 2 of them are still available for those who wish to help build. I know your town is Japanese, but apartments aren't all that different so maybe yours could work in the town default?

Thanks, again, for all your kind words.

nudic2: Thanks. Yeah, I'm quite happy with both of those areas. The trailer park will actually be a fun place to start off living in town. Not very luxurious, but it certainly has a unique charm to it. I can't wait to see how townie Sims will act in and around it. Hopefully the residents of the trailer park will frequent the central gathering area. But, knowing how the Sims play out, we'll probably see the mayor flipping burgers like a hillbilly on those grills :D

The town will most likely be available on a download site, unless the exchange is fixed. It is a good 73MB already, and that is the file without a single lot built on it - so I'm expecting it to end up well over 100MB... close to 200 maybe. I don't have any hopes that the exchange will accept a file that large.
    edited February 2010
    I didn't realize the template didn't have spawners or anything...

Can you upload your world with spawners, signs, etc? But with no houses?? I realize you still have to put those things in, so I'll wait.

I'll just start building and saving the houses until you upload your finalized world (without buildings).
  • Greenb70Greenb70 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited February 2010
    It looks great,please take all the time you need I'm waiting on the pc doctor to tell me if mine can be fixed for cheaper than buying a new one.Until then I can only sigh and say ooh I want the pretty.
    edited February 2010
    Greenb if your computer is old I'd say just get a new one since they also come with decent graphic cards. This is if your current computer doesn't already have a great graphics card. :lol:

Monday morning Lee appreciation! :mrgreen:
  • nudic2nudic2 Posts: 126 New Member
    edited February 2010
    m''kay
    edited February 2010
    Thought I should update you all with some of the building that I've been doing now that I'm out of CAW for the time being. I've been able to finish off 3 lots - well, actually it is 6 lots seeing as Sunnyside Apartments consist of 4 lots total. I'll show you the pictures below, so you can see what else to expect in the town.

Now - I won't be showing pictures of everything I build for the town... I want you to have some surprises left for when you all start your games in Overlook Bay.

I may also add that those were not created from scratch in one day... they are all old buildings that I had in my Sunset Valley game. What I've done is change them a little to make them fit better into the Overlook Bay town. The apartments all got furnished, but I decided to mirror the larger of the two instead of individually decorate the interiors. I'll be changing that if and when we get functional apartments for Sims 3. The fountain by the side of the library was added to create a more downtown feel for the library, as the old version had all grass surrounding it - which I couldn't have in the city. The Art Gallery I pretty much deleted the entire interior as I wasn't too happy with it and redecorated using a lot of WA specific relics and stuff that look much more like art than the pink flamingoes and chairs I had in the earlier version...

Any feedback is appreciated.

rm1vlu.jpg

50zo.jpg

1212yc7.jpg
  • DollDoll Posts: 522 Member
    edited February 2010
    yay for updates~
    edited February 2010
    Great work Lee. The library looks awesome.
  • Diskette66Diskette66 Posts: 842 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Beautiful world, I am very much looking forward to playing it!
  • ilovepieilovepie Posts: 577 New Member
    edited February 2010
    so if that famous artist painted those in teh sims 2 era that means that they must of come thru some time machine because this is set like 20 - 25 years befor the sims or sims 2, so the guy/girl artist was ether a little kid or not even born then... :wink:
  • starfall56starfall56 Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2010
    This is amazing! You've done an increadable job! I can't wait to see the final version! :mrgreen:
    edited February 2010
    Doll, Gillie, Diskette66 & starfall56: Thanks, y'all. And keep following the progress. :)

ilovepie: Well, technically it is only Sunset Valley and Riverview that reverted back in time. Any new town can have it's own story ;) And, this one is set some years after my Rivermount Island game in the Sims 2 finished...

Just a couple more teaser pictures for you guys. I'll show a couple of the rabbit holes, but I won't be showing all that many new pictures after this, as I want some surprises left for y'all when you download the town to start your games.

Here they are:

Overlook Bay City Hall...
    [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/5slyo.jpg "width=600"[/IMG]

...and the Bistro rabbit hole.
    [IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2uh9vtl.jpg "width=600"[/IMG]

I'm trying to get a real city feel to the downtown area. Hopefully it will be a successful attempt.
  • NesirooNesiroo Posts: 137
    edited February 2010
    Well, from what I can see, it is a successful attempt! Overlook Bay is grand & wonderful, I'm just not sure if I have enough time to look at this thread a little more. :P Anyways, can you calculate a release date for us?