Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• Options
    wolfsprytewolfspryte Posts: 187 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Oops.. forgot.. I need to pic a cover picture... Here are 3/4 that I like.. what do you all think? Which would be best? And, I've named the lot "Suburban Charm"... ?? Any suggestions?

Screenshot-19-7.jpg

Screenshot-2-3.jpg

Screenshot-21-5.jpg

Screenshot-3-3.jpg
  • Options
    simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2009
    spryte - Gave your story a rec. Had to laugh when I saw your comment! :)

Lil - Thanks!

Bre - Thank you!

Craig - It's looking very good!

• Options
    BrennaWBrennaW Posts: 1,067 Member
    edited December 2009
    wolfspryte wrote:
    Oops.. forgot.. I need to pic a cover picture... Here are 3/4 that I like.. what do you all think? Which would be best? And, I've named the lot "Suburban Charm"... ?? Any suggestions?

Screenshot-19-7.jpg

Screenshot-2-3.jpg

Screenshot-21-5.jpg

Screenshot-3-3.jpg

Wolfspryte wow very nice home!

I think #3 and #4 are way too far away. I think you came close to a winning shot on #1. It cuts off the right corner and maybe a little too much drive showing. Great interesting eye-catching angle and a sims level pic looks best.

Try retake and tweak it slightly.

Luv Bre
  • Options
    Evergreen226Evergreen226 Posts: 15,600 Member
    edited December 2009
    Wolf- I would suggest getting a closer shot, or just the entire front of the house. Or you could make something like this: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1709694 Sorry for borrowing it simtweek =D

Simtweek- I want that world. NOW. It looks amazing! =D

Buddy- So sorry to hear of your ill health. I send my best wishes and I hope all gets better. I am so sorry to hear about you hubby.

Lil- You are disabled? I never would have guessed! But I have noticed you do spend a lot of time simming... =D I am sorry to hear about your hubby also, I hope all gets better and he gets a great job.

Everyone- All the homes look fabulous

Cragist- I am so jealous. Your pathways and what not look fabulous!!!
    23uvol1.jpg
  • Options
    LiLSapphireLiLSapphire Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited December 2009

Evergreen thanks.

Hubby is studying electerical trying to get into the green energy field. He worked for Checker Motors which was a stamp and Die plant for GM. When GM went bankrupt so did Checkers.

Do you really think 12-16 hrs a day is a lot of simming?

Yes I'm disabled. Unfortanly 6 years ago I fell down a flight of steps compressing my spine, collapsed my facet joint, broke my tail bone, and also caused kidney problems. It's been a big adjust, but I have finally adjusted and accepted my condition and do what I have to do. I miss my job and going to work, but hey that's life and you learn to roll with the punches.
  • Options
    bergcrysbergcrys Posts: 659
    edited December 2009
    Ok so being completely unsatisfied with most of what I did for landscaping I decided to scrap most of it, move to a bigger lot and only keep what I loved. I tweaked a few other things and did some entirely different things. I also decided to watch the landscaping tutorials and take some of the awesome suggestions I was getting from all of you.

So after an hour of tweaking this is what I have so far. I'm so far from done but I'm happy with what I have so far. Keep in mind I'm nowhere near done and theres probably some things in the shots that need to be moved or changed and some things that I havent had time to add yet. I was just really excited about how it looked so far and decided to share with the rest of you. :)

verynewland1.jpg

verynewland2.jpg

verynewland3.jpg

verynewland4.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh my goodness! I have no idea what a facet joint is but that sounds very painful. I hope everything healed to the best of it's ability and I hope your hubby gets a good paying job.

12 to 16 hours?!!?!? I would love to be able to play that much. I'm mostly on the forums that long a day XD

Have you thought of working online or maybe your own business?
    23uvol1.jpg
  • Options
    nam24601nam24601 Posts: 650
    edited December 2009
    Bleach: Wow, you sure are ambitious! lol. Great job so far! I usually get all excited about a big build, get it about 3/4 done and get bored. Hope you do a better job than me! :)

Wicked: I am very sorry to hear about your dad. This holiday season seems to be bad for a lot of people :( My Nana died, your dad had a stroke, Addict's (from another thread; great builder!)grandfather passed away...
    I hope things start to improve for the new year! In any case, I wish you and your family all the best health and happiness.

bergcrys: A good job so far! I would suggest adding some changes to the ground elevation...nothing extreme, just some very subtle variations. No lawn is absolutely flat, so what I usually do is add a couple little dips, a couple little hills and then go over the whole thing with the soften terrain brush on the softest setting. Then you can add a little dirt and weeds and things in various places to make your grass look more natural. Totally up to you though. Great job :)

simtweek: all I can say is............

(wow, I never thought it possible, but your talent has made me speechless!) :D

Buddy_Clyde: Define "timely manner" lol. That expression itself could be interpreted in any number of ways. I'm sure there is no issue as to how long it takes you, provided you are active on this thread, which you are. I suppose it would be different if someone did the first assignment and then came back 4 months down the road and posted the second...no one would remember who they were...anyway, I'm sure there will be no problems. :) Sorry to hear about your health issues, though I agree, it always helps to laugh at oneself. As for your lot, wow! Just gorgeous! I really like the statue in the grassy area behind the gate! I wanna go lay down there and watch the clouds roll across the sky...lol

Spryte: Your build is exceptionally beautiful! Somehow it seems much grander and more elegant than the one I did! I didn't even recognize it at first as the homework home, lol. Anyway, I think the first pic is the best, but I agree that maybe a retake could get you some better results.

Darkside: Oh no! I have spent hours creating my stories, but I always delete the pics after....just checked and my tutorial is okay, probably since it's new, but my first 3 chapters of my legacy story are all gone :( I deleted the pics from my hard drive too...at least I'm keeping them all now...anyway, thanks for letting us know.

LilS: I hope you have a safe and happy New Year as well! And as for whatever disability you have, I feel your pain...a little, anyway. I have been struggling with Panic disorder, depression, and the occasional bout of agoraphobia since I was a teenager, and have been medicated since I was 17. Some days I am glad that all I have to do is sit around playing sims, some days I'm upset if I can't because I actually have things to do, and other days I just get so bored with everything that even sims fail to cheer me up. Good luck to you and your family, and I hope you keep your spirits up no matter what your health is like.

Bre: I did a search and found some tutorials. I did post them on the other thread, but I will post them here in case anyone else needs them.

In addition to Sunny’s tomb tutorial I have come across these. I haven’t gone through them much yet, so please let me know if they are helpful or not. Thanks. :)

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=139160 process tut

http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/index.php?title=Tomb_Overview tomb overview

http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/index.php?title=Tomb_Creation_101 tomb creation 101

http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/index.php?title=Tomb_Building:_Triggers_and_Activated_Behaviours tomb building: triggers and activated behaviours

http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/index.php?title=Tomb_Building:_Basic tomb building basic

http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/index.php?title=Tomb_Building:_The_Processor tomb building: the processor

http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/index.php?title=Tomb_Building:_Advanced tomb building: advanced

Craig: Looking great! I like the statue park area you have at the end of your walk! How did you get your garden edge to look so perfectly round? The only thing I can suggest is maybe some outdoor lights to beautify it in the dark.

Evergreen: Hi. I see you have posted responses to people, but nothing really about yourself, so I'll just say hi. Wouldn't want you to feel left out of my novel today! :)

Okay, I think I finally got to the end of the posts! Yay. I really need to stay on top of this thread, as it has a tendency to get away from me, and then I end up having to write an epic novel, lol.
  • Options
    nam24601nam24601 Posts: 650
    edited December 2009
    Oops, double posted, sorry. :oops:
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yay! I feel special =D
    23uvol1.jpg
  • Options
    wolfsprytewolfspryte Posts: 187 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Okay.. try these for a cover shot... see what you think. I do like that first one too.. but for the life of me, I can't get at that "angle" again to fix it! :(

Screenshot-2-4.jpg

Screenshot-3-4.jpg

Screenshot-4-3.jpg

Screenshot-5-4.jpg

Screenshot-6-3.jpg

Screenshot-7-4.jpg

Screenshot-8-4.jpg

Screenshot-65.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I like 2...hey what do you think of my garden changes so far?
  • Options
    darkside266darkside266 Posts: 2,077 Member
    edited December 2009
    Craigs...Its looking great so far..You have used the terrain paints very well.Something that i think would make a great addition to your Zen looking garden would be adding a Cinnamon tree or 2..maybe one between the half oval garden and angle of the zen garden and one closer to the backyard near the zen garden..experiment a little and see if you like it.it doesnt necessarily need to be 2..it just looks like you could use some shade tree there..and i personally love the cinamon trees.Your arched bridge and pond turned out looking very nice.

Wolfspryte..I love #1,,but you do need to adjust the angle where it shows the drive and MORE of the house.#4 would also be a great choice..only you need to get closer...Also watch what time of day you take pics..sometimes dusk doesnt do a house much justice..unless you have plenty of outdoor lighting.

*EDIT* ok so i just saw you have updated our choices...#1 is a great close up..#4 would also be acceptable.it only looks like it could have a little more downward angle.#7 is also a great shot..i think any of these three would make good coverpics.

bergcrys...Your landscape changes look great.the only suggestions i would make are using the Terrain Smoothing Tool and knocking off any sharp edges you have on your hills and also the rock terrain paint in your zen area doesnt really fit there anymore..If your wanting the 2 areas of sand separated..try using one of the rock terrains with grass in them..Experiment a little..yoy may even find something better than what i'm suggesting.I think i would also throw in some of the grasses and cattails along your water area..just a little more window dressing there and it will be looking awesome.

Nam..sorry to hear you lost some of your stories too..i would not have known of this issue..But Fidlerten had a posting in BuildersBoulevard on the subject.BTW..thanks for the links for tombs..i need to bookmark them..i still dont have the hang of creating traps in tombs.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    wolfspryte wrote:
    Okay.. try these for a cover shot... see what you think. I do like that first one too.. but for the life of me, I can't get at that "angle" again to fix it! :(

Screenshot-7-4.jpg

Spryte I have the same problem trying to duplicate the same angle if I want to fix a pic too! Never can get it exact again. rofl

Ok out of the new ones...#6 is now my fav.

Such a pretty house! I know I keep saying that.

Luv Bre

PS Evergreen's suggestion to include a few interiors and do a cover like ST would be nice too.

Edit: I still like the angled shot from the first set best! And listen to DS he is the pro...if he says #1 use that.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    lol darkside...those are way far from finished...i just went into my old lot and changed stuff...theres stuff in the pics that i'm not keeping but i didnt have time to finish the work tonight but i was excited with the fact that i did some cool things. but thanks for the advice.

P.S. the rockpaths arent staying
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    nam24601 wrote:
    Bre: I did a search and found some tutorials. I did post them on the other thread, but I will post them here in case anyone else needs them.

In addition to Sunny’s tomb tutorial I have come across these. I haven’t gone through them much yet, so please let me know if they are helpful or not. Thanks. :)

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=139160 process tut

http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/index.php?title=Tomb_Overview tomb overview

http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/index.php?title=Tomb_Creation_101 tomb creation 101

http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/index.php?title=Tomb_Building:_Triggers_and_Activated_Behaviours tomb building: triggers and activated behaviours

http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/index.php?title=Tomb_Building:_Basic tomb building basic

http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/index.php?title=Tomb_Building:_The_Processor tomb building: the processor

http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/index.php?title=Tomb_Building:_Advanced tomb building: advanced

Nam thank you for the tomb tutorials. I will have MW add to page 1. You are such a great help!

Luv Bre

• Options
    craigst39craigst39 Posts: 434 Member
    edited December 2009
    Nam: I just used moo and alot of going back and forth and also the alt key. I love the alt key.

Evergreen: Thanks i have never had anyone jealous of something i did before so again thankyou.

Darkside: Thankyou so much for your input it really means alot comming from you as i think all of your work is beautiful.

And finally thank you to simtweek.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh my goodness! I have no idea what a facet joint is but that sounds very painful. I hope everything healed to the best of it's ability and I hope your hubby gets a good paying job.

12 to 16 hours?!!?!? I would love to be able to play that much. I'm mostly on the forums that long a day XD

Have you thought of working online or maybe your own business?

A facet joint are the little bone fragments that run along the edge of your spine and are what allow you to be able to twist and turn from side to side.

I have considered working online a few times, but health issues seem to get in the way a lot.
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Spryte I vote for #2
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I think I know kinda how you feel LiLSapphire. I suffer from a disability and although it's not physical it impedes me a lot. I'm trying to go to school right now but that and trouble with my thyroid cause me to be unable to meet a lot of mine and others expectations.

I feel for you though...although my disability is bothersome, at least it doesnt cause me physical pain like yours must.
  • Options
    judywork1957judywork1957 Posts: 6,594 Member
    edited December 2009
    Wow! I've been so busy between working, getting through the holidays and trying to complete my sim project that I've missed quite a bit here!!

Simtweek, the world looks great! I have caw downloaded but haven't had a chance to even try working with it! I'm hoping someone will produce a world that resembles the Bonvoyage Three lakes camping... or anything else that looks northwoodsy!! I do love the one you've done but I see those beach areas with the palm trees still and don't think they will quite fit in in my world! :lol:

Lil and buddy, yes it's most important to be able to laugh at the difficulties life has given you! I work in a nursing home with physically and mentally impaired residents and the ones who make the most progress and live life to the fullest are the ones who can laugh at themselves! I have found too in my job that the best way to get through the stress is to be able to find the humor in it!!

Wicked, :lol::lol: Hahahahahaha I am not even going to attempt a yellow submarine build!! At the rate I'm going, I'll be lucky to survive the sim creation!! I have spent so much time on them and now my launcher/uploader is causing me grief to no end!! It refuses to upload my masterpiece, John Lennon in his perfect state
    young adult
    169rqqo.jpg
    adult
    2ikusnp.jpg

I had to strip him down to the absolute very base game components in order to get him uploaded!! I have saved the better versions though in the hopes of eventually getting to take him!!

• Options
    edited December 2009
    wow...that john lennon is uncanny...great work!!
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Nam sorry you lost some of your stories. I just went and rechecked mine and any story that was posted on or before Dec 11 has no pics. From dec 12 until today are still intact.

If this is going to be a perment thing then then that means we are going to have to start deleting our walk throughs after a certain time, and tutorials are only going to be good for a short time as well.

Hopefully EA fixes it so the pics stay again. As we only have so much storage space in our media files and to do stories for our new builds we will have to delete older pics to make room for new

Lil
  • Options
    judywork1957judywork1957 Posts: 6,594 Member
    edited December 2009
    I have encountered some of the same issues with my stories and pics, so have had to delete older stories and walkthroughs as my pics fill up. What I try to do now, is go through them before uploading and try to only upload those I know that I will be using for the story... it does help a little as far as keeping my images under the limit.

Bergchrys, thank you!! I only hope he will eventually upload in his pefect state! :?
  • Options
    WickedKnightWickedKnight Posts: 189 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Only my most recent story uploaded 12/13/09 still has pics. A different story uploaded the day before 12/12/09 is without as is my blossom cottage walkthrough :/

Don't know if I should try to reupload or what cos it'll lose the recs and stuff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top