Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• Options
    JuliababyjenJuliababyjen Posts: 783 Member
    edited December 2009
    Hey, everyone!
    Nam, I'm so sorry to here about your Nana. *Hugs
    We had an awesome Christmas. My hubby got me a blue ray disc player that also connects to my Netflix, so I can watch instantly on my big screen TV, connects to YouTube and has digital radio! We also got a Wii for the kids, but my hubby and I have been played several rounds of Wiigolf. A new hobby! The best part was on Christmas Eve. Someone came to our door and gave the kids a huge pile of presents! The card said it was from "Santa"! They each got a toy, gloves, candy and a $50 gift card to Walmart! We still haven't figured out who was so generous!
    We were supposed to get 2 feet of snow, but it rained for 2 days instead. It finally switched over to snow on Christmas Eve at about 9:00 pm (on our drive home from my parents, of course!), but we only got about 4 inches. But it was nasty, because it was all ice underneath the snow. It snowed about another 3 inches last night. But nothing we Iowans aren't used to!
    I'm glad everyone had such a nice Christmas!
  • Options
    LiLSapphireLiLSapphire Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited December 2009

:shock: :shock: :shock: While working on my WIP I was test playing the kitchen and dinning room areas that I had recently finished. I had my Sim read the paper as I like to keep up with town events even though I am still in the process of building the town. (I am completely rebuilding Sunset Valley) It has only been 6 actual Sim days time passage in the game. When I got this message

gothkilled.jpg

Yup that's right 6 days into the game...... my game (story progression)killed off Goth :!: Now remember in TS3 he is still a child :!:

I wonder who Bella will marry now?

Ok back to my WIP

Keep building and laughing :lol:

Lil
  • Options
    bergcrysbergcrys Posts: 659
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for your comments Merry Widdow. I see what you're saying about the counter tops and the dining room. And I totally forgot about alarms...oops heh. I like the material on the curtains but I'm going to try switching the couch cuz its hard to tell without seeing it if that'll work. I'm very visual. I'll let you know how it turn out. I already posted it in the exchange but I so far have been editing things even after they're on there...I just don't like running the risk that if something happened to my computer I'd lose the work so I back it up that way.
  • Options
    nam24601nam24601 Posts: 650
    edited December 2009
    Lofty Living by nam24601

nam24601-
    This barn style home has a beautiful cliffside view overlooking the water. Decorated in shades of purple, blue and black, this home has a loft-style br, 1 ba, an eat-in kitchen, a cozy fireplace and a beautiful pond in the back. Perfect for a couple just starting their lives together. Comes to only 39,023
    Original address: 100 Redwood Pkwy

[img]http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/nam24601/Sims3/Lofty Living/LoftyLiving.png "height=450""width=600"[/img]

Link to download:

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1756570

Link to slideshow:

th_LoftyLiving.png

Link to thread:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/45/140770.page#1783733

I still have to finish my mansion, but wanted to get this submitted for the epic building challenge in time. Hope you all like it! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Here's my attempt at assignment 1. I think I'm having problems with the dimensions though. I'm not entirely sure if I got it.

assign1pic5.jpg

assign1pic3.jpg

assign1pic1.jpg

assign1pic4.jpg

assign1pic2.jpg
  • Options
    MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited December 2009
    nam24601 wrote:
    Lofty Living by nam24601

nam24601-
    This barn style home has a beautiful cliffside view overlooking the water. Decorated in shades of purple, blue and black, this home has a loft-style br, 1 ba, an eat-in kitchen, a cozy fireplace and a beautiful pond in the back. Perfect for a couple just starting their lives together. Comes to only 39,023
    Original address: 100 Redwood Pkwy

[img]http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/nam24601/Sims3/Lofty Living/LoftyLiving.png "height=450""width=600"[/img]

Link to download:

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1756570

Link to slideshow:

th_LoftyLiving.png

Link to thread:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/45/140770.page#1783733

I still have to finish my mansion, but wanted to get this submitted for the epic building challenge in time. Hope you all like it! :)

Lofty Living is great Nam. I've recommended the lot. I've added it to my favourites too. I really like this one.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    bergcrys wrote:
    Here's my attempt at assignment 1. I think I'm having problems with the dimensions though. I'm not entirely sure if I got it.

assign1pic5.jpg

assign1pic3.jpg

assign1pic1.jpg

assign1pic4.jpg

assign1pic2.jpg

Hi bergcrys, your interpretation is pretty good. You are a little larger on the family room, but that is okay as long as you can fill it. The usual scale that I use as a guideline is 2' x 2' per 1 Sim tile. I'm not sure that roof is working though. I would suggest a single Pagoda roof over the main house and a pergola over the porch. You've made a great start.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Assignment 2

color scheme

http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/945092/eternity

Overhead

assign2pic1.jpg

Living room shots

assign2lr.jpg

assign2lr2.jpg

Kitchen

assign2k.jpg

assign2k2.jpg

Bedroom

assign2bed.jpg

assign2bed2.jpg

Bathroom / Closet

assign2bath.jpg

assign2bath2.jpg

viewfrombathroomassign2.jpg

assign2closet.jpg

assign2closet.jpg

Oh and heres my new roof

newroof.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    bergcrys wrote:
    Assignment 2

color scheme

http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/945092/eternity

Overhead

assign2pic1.jpg

Living room shots

assign2lr.jpg

assign2lr2.jpg

Kitchen

assign2k.jpg

assign2k2.jpg

Bedroom

assign2bed.jpg

assign2bed2.jpg

Bathroom / Closet

assign2bath.jpg

assign2bath2.jpg

viewfrombathroomassign2.jpg

assign2closet.jpg

assign2closet.jpg

Oh and heres my new roof

newroof.jpg

I love your new roof bergcrys. As I've said before you have talent with the interior design. You have done a wonderful job. I can't tell from the pictures; do you have a burglar alarm? I'm not going to suggest curtains, because they wouldn't work with the windows you have chosen, but I will suggest a rug in the bedroom and in front of the bathtub. You have done a wonderful job and can move on to assignment 3.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    LiLSapphireLiLSapphire Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited December 2009

Nam I gave your barn a rec. Great job. I also put it in my favorites to place in my River town.

MW Thanks for the compliment on the tutorial.

Here is the color palette I am using for the interior of my WIP. I created the palette myself. It's called Mint Rose

http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/1060864/Mint_Rose

Keep building and Laughing :lol:

Lil
  • Options
    simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2009
    Wicked - I think your lot looks great. The pond looks good and the trees and plants around it decorate it nicely.

Minraed - I've never seen a black pool so I'm not sure how to help you...sorry.

Jason - Your lot looks great. Gave you a rec.

Dark - Can't wait to dl that lot.

Judy - Great job with your sim. I'm not a sim maker that's for sure. :)

bergcrys - Welcome!

Smoky - I really like the surfer dudes house! I had to go and dl that furniture that you had inside and I like how you have the lounge chairs placed on the deck.

Lil - I gave your CFE tut a rec. Good job...I'm sure it will help a lot of builders who are struggling.

nam - Gave your barn a rec. I have a great spot for it in my town.

• Options
    SmokyTopazSmokyTopaz Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited December 2009
    I don't know why it wouldn't accept my reply last time, so I try again! Thanks Simtweek, all that stuff is on TSR - all free!
    Once again I have spent my afternoon trying cfe, and thanks to LilS and

Darkside's heroic attempts, I have produced something that works.

Please understand I do not like this house it will get bulldozed but, I

got there.

Comments on the tutorials? Well if you know nothing (thats me) - LilS

takes you through step by step. Darkside assumes you know a little

something, and now that I do I will try with an underhouse garage. But

not tonight!

One of the things I hate about the alterations on cfe is the way all

the patterns twist, especially when you go from terrain up three

splits, not sure how that is coped with.

Some piccys to show how I did.

iz2eqp.jpg
    fnfmde.jpg
    121683k.jpg
    2qiy7wj.jpg
    244o86s.jpg

• Options
    Cera13Cera13 Posts: 891 Member
    edited December 2009
    Hi! I saw this thread a few weeks ago and thought I'd go ahead and give it a shot. I just completed homework one.

Ariel shot
    Screenshot-103.jpg

Front
    Screenshot-104.jpg

Right side
    Screenshot-106.jpg

Left side
    Screenshot-105.jpg

Back
    Screenshot-107-1.jpg

I added a few windows, I hope that's OK.
  • Options
    wolfsprytewolfspryte Posts: 187 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Alright... I'm back! With absolutely NO help from EA! I left it alone from last Sunday {12/20} until yesterday {12/27}. I just started doing different things and got it to install and work! Thankfully, I had saved my "homework" to my desktop! So... I was working on the landscaping {assignment 3}... I'm done.. let me know what you think! Thanks.

Overview at night:
    Screenshot-64.jpg

From the road at night:
    Screenshot-2-3.jpg

From across the road {daytime}:
    Screenshot-3-3.jpg

Overview {day}:
    Screenshot-20-5.jpg

Overview differnt angle {day}:
    Screenshot-21-5.jpg

Towards the pond/bridge:
    Screenshot-4-2.jpg

The pond and bridge: for some reason CFE wouldn't co-op.. so no arch:
    Screenshot-6-2.jpg

Closer:
    Screenshot-5-3.jpg

Towards the backyard/patio:
    Screenshot-7-3.jpg

The patio:
    Screenshot-8-3.jpg

Back porch from patio:
    Screenshot-10-2.jpg

Towards the sunken shadegarden:
    Screenshot-11-3.jpg

From sunken shadegarden towards patio:
    Screenshot-12-3.jpg

The sunken shadegarden:
    Screenshot-13-5.jpg

Sunken shadegarden different angle:
    Screenshot-14-2.jpg

From sunken shadegarden towards side of house:
    Screenshot-16-4.jpg

The driveway from side of house:
    Screenshot-17-5.jpg

From driveway looking towards shadegarden:
    Screenshot-18-7.jpg

From the road:
    Screenshot-19-7.jpg

I have play tested this build for several sim days. Everything is functional except for the bench/seat on the patio - it's built from dining chairs, and as they can not be "pulled" out by the sim, they are not functional. The bench by the pond IS functional however! :D There are smoke alarms at both fireplaces and one in the kitchen. There is a burglar alarm in the front closest as well as in the "pantry" in the kitchen. Let me know what ya'll think!
  • Options
    judywork1957judywork1957 Posts: 6,594 Member
    edited December 2009
    :D Just have a few minutes right now to fly by and say Hi to everyone!! After I've finished my sim project, I will check out Lil's tutorial and try again to figure out cfe!! Everyone's projects look great!

Haaaa simtweek if you only knew what a struggle these sims have been for me! I spend most of my time swearing at the screen!!! I will actually be sooo happy when it's done! :mrgreen: Two done, two to go...
    Paul is finished now and in my studio- well actually there are four versions of him! I am taking a poll- the two most popular versions will stay up, the other two will get deleted!
    2ues6is.jpg
    119c9hc.jpg

I'm not going to post all the links here, if anyone is interested, check out my other thread or see my studio for them!

• Options
    edited December 2009
    SmokyTopaz wrote:
    I don't know why it wouldn't accept my reply last time, so I try again! Thanks Simtweek, all that stuff is on TSR - all free!
    Once again I have spent my afternoon trying cfe, and thanks to LilS and

Darkside's heroic attempts, I have produced something that works.

Please understand I do not like this house it will get bulldozed but, I

got there.

Comments on the tutorials? Well if you know nothing (thats me) - LilS

takes you through step by step. Darkside assumes you know a little

something, and now that I do I will try with an underhouse garage. But

not tonight!

One of the things I hate about the alterations on cfe is the way all

the patterns twist, especially when you go from terrain up three

splits, not sure how that is coped with.

Some piccys to show how I did.

Hi Smokey, looks to me like you did a pretty good job. I usually handle the twisted patterns by not using patterns. Some just ignore them. I use a plain texture like paint or stucco. Good luck with the next one.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cera13 wrote:
    Hi! I saw this thread a few weeks ago and thought I'd go ahead and give it a shot. I just completed homework one.

Ariel shot
    Screenshot-103.jpg

Front
    Screenshot-104.jpg

Right side
    Screenshot-106.jpg

Left side
    Screenshot-105.jpg

Back
    Screenshot-107-1.jpg

I added a few windows, I hope that's OK.

Hi Cera, you've done a great interpretation of the plans. Yes it's fine to add windows. I like the roof line and the front porch look nice. You can move on to assignment 2 now.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    wolfspryte wrote:
    Alright... I'm back! With absolutely NO help from EA! I left it alone from last Sunday {12/20} until yesterday {12/27}. I just started doing different things and got it to install and work! Thankfully, I had saved my "homework" to my desktop! So... I was working on the landscaping {assignment 3}... I'm done.. let me know what you think! Thanks.

Overview {day}:
    Screenshot-20-5.jpg

Sunken shadegarden different angle:
    Screenshot-14-2.jpg

I have play tested this build for several sim days. Everything is functional except for the bench/seat on the patio - it's built from dining chairs, and as they can not be "pulled" out by the sim, they are not functional. The bench by the pond IS functional however! :D There are smoke alarms at both fireplaces and one in the kitchen. There is a burglar alarm in the front closest as well as in the "pantry" in the kitchen. Let me know what ya'll think!

Beautiful Spryte, you have done an excellent job. I love the sunken shade garden. You can move on to assignment 4.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Announcing sad news.

Jaded has resigned as a moderator. She is finding it difficult fitting it in with real life. We will still see her on the thread. I'm looking forward to more of her comments and builds.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    Evergreen226Evergreen226 Posts: 15,600 Member
    edited December 2009
    D'=!!! Well I hope to still see a lot of jaded. If I didn't have school and other stuff that need attending to sims and not sims, I would like to become a mod.

More sad news on my part. The town in which I had my Assignment one in was accidently deleted D'= I may not retry it because I need to try and keep up with my legacy and I will be starting a new series. I will try to keep up!
    23uvol1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    :D Just have a few minutes right now to fly by and say Hi to everyone!! After I've finished my sim project, I will check out Lil's tutorial and try again to figure out cfe!! Everyone's projects look great!

Haaaa simtweek if you only knew what a struggle these sims have been for me! I spend most of my time swearing at the screen!!! I will actually be sooo happy when it's done! :mrgreen: Two done, two to go...
    Paul is finished now and in my studio- well actually there are four versions of him! I am taking a poll- the two most popular versions will stay up, the other two will get deleted!
    2ues6is.jpg

I'm not going to post all the links here, if anyone is interested, check out my other thread or see my studio for them!

I voted for this one, number 3. Good luck #3.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    JuliababyjenJuliababyjen Posts: 783 Member
    edited December 2009
    Spryte, I LOVE your landscaping! What a great idea for your bench! I can't wait to DL your build!

I'm sorry it didn't work out for Jaded, but I'm glad she's not leaving entirely!

Judy, I like #3 as well!
  • Options
    simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2009
    Cera13 - Welcome! I really like the color you chose for the exterior.

spryte - Landscaping looks great!
  • Options
    Jake110889Jake110889 Posts: 41 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Here is my Assignment 2
    Palette: http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/92095/Giant_Goldfish

Overview
    15xa9g0.jpg
    Foyer and Living Room
    282dmag.jpg
    wu13qc.jpg
    Kitchen and Dining
    zwewd0.jpg
    10r0b4k.jpg
    Bedroom
    13z07i9.jpg
    2egeha9.jpg
    Bathroom
    2en7p1s.jpg
    Outside
    eirzue.jpg
    Sorry for the big post
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    nam24601nam24601 Posts: 650
    edited December 2009
    Jake...first of all, I love your colours...which is funny cuz I don't usually like orange, but it looks great in your house! Nice job!

Secondly, could you please resize your pics...just put "height=450""width=600" after your image but before the ending image tag...Thanks. :)

*EDIT Thank you! :D
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top