Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• Options
    darkside266darkside266 Posts: 2,077 Member
    edited December 2009
    Nam..love your barn looking home..gave you a rec.

bergcrys..i like your updated roof..and your homework is coming along really nice.

Smoky..I am so glad you figured out the CFE..your home is done pretty good..the more experience you get with CFE..The more comfortable you will feel..Merry suggested solids on warped areas.which is a great idea..otherwise you are just stuck with the weird look.

Cera13 ...I do like your siding choices..just dont forget to CAS your window and doorframes to match.

wolfspryte ...You have done an excellent job with your landscaping..i especially like how realistic you made the driveway.

Judy..your sim looks great

Jake110889...I normally not crazy about orange..but you made it work very nicely in this home..Its looking great so far.
  • Options
    craigst39craigst39 Posts: 434 Member
    edited December 2009
    Hi i am currently working on assignment 3 and im trying to do the arched bridge from lightsides tutorial( which is wonderful BTW ) but im having some problems. When finished there seems to be this wierd line at the bottom. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Craig.
  • Options
    nam24601nam24601 Posts: 650
    edited December 2009
    I can try to help...can you post a pic of the "strange line" for me plz?

Ok...I have actually started playing my legacy file again, and of course (lol) had to rebuild the house cuz it was just plain awful! lol...but now there seems to be a glitch...my sims keep falling through the floor. Has this ever happened to any of you? I really wanna fix this cuz it is extremely annoying! The mom can't even pick up the baby cuz she keeps ending up in the basement every time she gets near him and then has to climb back up the stairs and try again.

*EDIT- I removed all my CC and loaded up my game again, and still have the problem, so it must be EA, either from the newest patch or from WA :(
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ok will recreate it now and post pics when im done thanks for helping nam. ok here are the pics hope you can help.

syxkef.jpg

mmd1lt.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    judywork1957judywork1957 Posts: 6,594 Member
    edited December 2009
    Nam, I think it has something to do wa and lots that you may have created before it was installed? I had that problem with my North shore Experience! I was about ready to give up on it then tried saving it to library, starting a new town/game and reinstalling the lot in the new game! Ohhh and my lot didn't even have a basement... they just kept sinking into the foundation so they were stuck in the middle of the floor!!

Spryte I love your lot!!!

Ok, Paul #3 seems to be winning by leaps and bounds with the bearded version- Paul #4 coming in second so far. I'll give them till tomorrow then take the other two down!
  • Options
    LiLSapphireLiLSapphire Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited December 2009
    SmokyTopaz wrote:
    I don't know why it wouldn't accept my reply last time, so I try again! Thanks Simtweek, all that stuff is on TSR - all free!
    Once again I have spent my afternoon trying cfe, and thanks to LilS and

Darkside's heroic attempts, I have produced something that works.

Please understand I do not like this house it will get bulldozed but, I

got there.

Comments on the tutorials? Well if you know nothing (thats me) - LilS

takes you through step by step. Darkside assumes you know a little

something, and now that I do I will try with an underhouse garage. But

not tonight!

One of the things I hate about the alterations on cfe is the way all

the patterns twist, especially when you go from terrain up three

splits, not sure how that is coped with.

Some piccys to show how I did.

Smokey Congrats on finally concurring CFE. Your "attempt" house turned out great.
    As for dealing with the warp of the wall coverings use a vertical pattern for the layer of wall as the Vertical doesn't warp as much and isn't as noticeable.

Glad my tut helped you out.

Lil
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Craig: I have seen this before, but I can't remember how I fixed it...I think it may have just fixed itself...have you tried going into live mode and checking to see if it's still there?

Judy: Oh, I wish it were that simple! Unfortunately, I just rebuilt this house, so it can't be because it was from before WA, unless just the fact that the save file was from the base game...hmmm. I'd hate to lose my legacy though, I'm already on the seventh generation! Someone suggested I do a completely clean install...but I am hesitant to do that...plus I have to wait until my friend returns my sims3 disk since I loaned it to her.

*EDIT-Yay! It's fixed! Judywork1957 is the winner! lol. All I had to do was save my family and home to the library and start over in a new game file. Of course, it'll be weird cuz all the default characters will reset...so I'll be able to interact with my long-gone founder's wife...lol. And my family tree is gone :( but at least I can still play. :)
  • Options
    LiLSapphireLiLSapphire Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited December 2009

Gracious Legacy home
    my request home is now on the exchange.

Tour home here:
    http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=149595

Download here:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1764191

If you like this home please recommend

Lil
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Gracious Legacy home
    my request home is now on the exchange.

Tour home here:
    http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=149595

Download here:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1764191

If you like this home please recommend

Lil

Lil your house is absolutely beautiful. Its the kind of house id like to live in. I also rec'd it. Again beautiful job.
  • Options
    simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2009
    craig - I'm in the same boat with nam. I've seen it before but I'm pretty sure that it just fixed itself.

Lil - Gave your story and lot a rec! Great job!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Lil: Beautiful job! DL rec and fav from me! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ok so here is what i have on my landscaping so far please tell me what you all think.

2hrl9pd.jpg

fomzqp.jpg

34xp7rm.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Craig: Very nice job, it's beautiful! :) I would maybe continue the path on the other side of the bridge though...
    Can't wait to see more!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    nam24601 wrote:
    Craig: Very nice job, it's beautiful! :) I would maybe continue the path on the other side of the bridge though...
    Can't wait to see more!

Thats what i thought about the path also after i took a good look. So you dont think it needs more?
  • Options
    BrennaWBrennaW Posts: 1,067 Member
    edited December 2009
    craigst39 wrote:
    Ok so here is what i have on my landscaping so far please tell me what you all think.

2hrl9pd.jpg

fomzqp.jpg

34xp7rm.jpg

Craig I think your bridge and pond look fantastic!

I agree with Nam continue the walkway.

Small suggestion: when taking pics make sure you have terrain paint on if in build mode it will eliminate the grid lines, unless you have a sim on lot then you can use cam mode.

Excellent start Craig. I cannot wait to see the finished product!

Luv Bre

PS to DS, Nam, Jaded, Judy and Simtweek: Thank you all for being so diligent in posting and commenting on everyone's work! I know Mag and MW are very appreciative for your help in keeping the thread active and for your input!

Edit: I forgot you LilS sorry! :wink:

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Thank you to nam and bre for your input it means alot. Also do i have to include 2 pics im kind of using my own inspiration on what id like to see in my own garden?
  • Options
    wolfsprytewolfspryte Posts: 187 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Thanks all!
    Darkside, I've yet to see a gravel drive that didn't have some sort of middle "trail" of weeds/grass... lol Unless it was brand spanking new! And, coming from you, that means a lot!!

Craig.. I got that line too.. not sure why or how to fix it!

LilSapphire!.. Oh My Oh My! Gracious Legacy is beautiful! I rec'd it!

Okay... Merry, or anyone... assignment 4... what do you mean by a "story"?? Just a tour like in Lil Sapphire's G.L. home? Or an actual story about the house/inhabitants/etc?? I have to say I'm NO good at story telling! And, is there a way to put up the pics without putting up the house for d/l?? Never have done that... sorry for my "ignorance"..

OHH.. Lil, I like the columns by the bed and fireplace! *wink*
  • Options
    magician1magician1 Posts: 3,098 Member
    edited December 2009
    Just stopping in to say hi and say that you are all doing a fabulous job. I am having issues with my connection so I won't be back on forums 'til Friday. MW is in the midst of moving so she won't be back until Thursday afternoon.

Keep Learning and Creating

Magician1
  • Options
    bergcrysbergcrys Posts: 659
    edited December 2009
    ASSIGNMENT 3

My Inspiration

6x6%20pergola%20with%20bench2.jpg

Pic1landscape.jpg

landscapepic2.jpg

My Landscaping

land1.jpg

land8.jpg

land9.jpg

land2.jpg

land3.jpg

land4.jpg

land5.jpg

land6.jpg

land7.jpg

I tried to stick with the same moden asian theme outdoors as I did for the interior and exterior of the house itself. I usually don't do a lot of landscaping cuz I find it extremely difficult so if you guys could offer me suggestions for ways to make improvements I would greatly appreciate it.

• Options
    simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2009
    craig - I think the landscaping around your bridge is beautiful. I do agree with the others to continue your path on the other side of the bridge...or maybe make it look like a patio area with the paint and add some furniture.

spyrte - I'm not 100% sure what assignment 4 is but I want to say that the story is like a walk through of the lot. Like when you look at homes on a realty site and they have photos of the rooms. I have walk through story's of most of my lots in my media studio at my sim page.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Craig: I don't know if you have to have an inspiration pic or not...hmmm. That's a good question.

Mag: Good to see you! Sorry to hear about your connection probs, but glad you are still doing well. Is your game fixed yet?

MW: Good luck with your move! I know how much of a pain it can be, but usually worth it in the end. :)

Everyone: Okay, I know it's not completely building related (there were a few pics of some renovations in this one) but I have posted my newest chapter of my legacy if anyone would like to read it. If you want to start from the beginning then all you have to do is click the table of contents and you will find a list of links to each chapter. Hope you enjoy :) Oh, and feel free to leave me a response on my blogsite. No one ever seems to comment...lol

http://nam24601.wordpress.com/2009/12/29/consequences/
  • Options
    wolfsprytewolfspryte Posts: 187 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Simtweek... assignment 4 is to upload pics in a slideshow and create a "story"... you answered my question!! It's {the story} basically a "tour" of the lot/home! Thanks!

Bergcrys... looking good! I would put a little bit of something around the first "pond" pictured... some plants/grasses.. and use terrain paint on the yard for realistic "effects"... but, that's just me! ;)
  • Options
    bergcrysbergcrys Posts: 659
    edited December 2009
    Thanks wolfspryte. I think I'll do that.I'm not perfectly happy with how it looks yet. Imho it looks very novice but then again I am heh
  • Options
    BleachBleedBleachBleed Posts: 188 New Member
    edited December 2009
    hey i was unsure about posting it here, since i'm not doing the assignments and i started building before finding about this thread.
    i decided to build a luxury hotel ever since one of my households had 4 babies (3 being triplets). I based the outside on this hotel (raffles hotel in singapore, in case you're wondering)

htbmmu.jpg

and the inside is very palace looking, im aiming towards luxury not cozy. The lobby and the dining room were easy for me and the entrance isn't finished i think, its idle. But now i'm stuck. I don't know much about hotels and i thought about putting the game/bar room on the ground floor with a library. I was skeptical about putting a gym in there aswell because it would go against the classic look so i'm probably going to create a basement and place it there as XOX1 suggested (from the thread http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/142349.page ). I'd like some opinions (negative or positive) on what i could do to improve.

a view from the top
    oh7nud.jpg

the dining room
    w7lkpy.jpg

the game/bar room
    ogw02v.jpg
    x26hs9.jpg

as you can see i still have a lot of space
    2en5jb5.jpg

• Options
    WickedKnightWickedKnight Posts: 189 New Member
    edited December 2009
    BleachBleed : The assignments are more of a 'springboard' for builders to use to better understand building concepts and such. That doesn't mean you have to be doing them to post on this thread, so welcome.

As far as your hotel type build.. I'd go with services on the ground floor like bar, library, restaurant (kitchen and dining). Next floors, bedrooms and bathrooms. Keep all the service type things on the ground floor or if you do want to spread out from the ground floor, keep them to one end of the upper floors to keep it kind of tied together.

Smoky - Glad you got CFE sorted. I had written a tutorial thing but I think maybe I didnt explain right in mine or I was too specific to the end product. Regardless, you got there with DS, nam and Lil's tuts so it's all good.

Judy - loving the beatles, are we going to see a yellow submarine build?

Craig - if you get that line again I think you'll find that if you delete a section of the floor that is part of your bridge and then undo it it should disappear. I think you just have to force the game to 'redraw' the floorline. Try to delete a piece of floor that is 'flat' and not angled in anyway, if undo doesn't work you should be able to just place the new piece down on that flat section. If that doesn't work I'll look at it as I know I had this problem with the tower build I basically selved due to the castle set coming out.

Sorry to everyone for not commenting on builds and stuff... I have been busy with work and my dad had a stroke day after boxing day. Yesterday he was talking with words no one understood, today he is talking fine. Which is nice. I knew he was frustrated, I could tell he knew what he wanted to say but it wasn't coming out right and he confirmed that to us today. I can't even begin to imagine the feeling of being locked in your own body, saying something to someone but hearing something else come out of your mouth. I'll try to be around more soon, till then, take care.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top