Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• Options
    judywork1957judywork1957 Posts: 6,594 Member
    edited December 2009
    :lol::lol:hehehehehe I'm a cc junkie as well! That's why it's soooo incredibly difficult for me when building or creating sims for upload!!

ahhhh I know what you mean about not all of us being amazing wizards at building what the general sim population wants to put in their game!!! :lol: I consider the rest of us as boutique/specialty builder/creators!! It takes a special consumer to appreciate our work!!!
  • Options
    FrugalMayFrugalMay Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited December 2009
    Ok I'm working on this house and I wanted it to look like this http://www.drummondhouseplans.com/house-plan-images/info/plancher/1000909.html , But now that I'm looking at it I guess it doesn't resemble it so well.

Screenshot-8.jpg

I think I might've made it too large. Anyways I was hoping if someone might take a look at it and improve it to look more like the original house plan. Maybe re-upload it and send me the link. Thanks ;)
  • Options
    bergcrysbergcrys Posts: 659
    edited December 2009
    At risk of becoming annoying with this I am submitting more pics of my WIP on the landscaping. I am really excited about my new developments and hope you guys have suggestions on how to improve. The pics will show some terrain that needs to be worked on still because I am still getting used to the paints.

more.jpg

more2.jpg

more3.jpg

more4.jpg

more5.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    FrugalMay wrote:
    Ok I'm working on this house and I wanted it to look like this http://www.drummondhouseplans.com/house-plan-images/info/plancher/1000909.html , But now that I'm looking at it I guess it doesn't resemble it so well.

Screenshot-8.jpg

I think I might've made it too large. Anyways I was hoping if someone might take a look at it and improve it to look more like the original house plan. Maybe re-upload it and send me the link. Thanks ;)

Im not seeing the picture of your house you built. Is that happening for everyone?
  • Options
    FrugalMayFrugalMay Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited December 2009
    Oh really? :( I'm sorry, must be forum issues because I can see it.
  • Options
    darkside266darkside266 Posts: 2,077 Member
    edited December 2009
    First i want to say Thank You to all those of you who have made such wonderful comments about my building style and skills..Those comments are very flattering.Maybe its just my humbleness..but i only see myself as an average builder with much to learn...So to all builders..always remember..even though you may not see your own work as being very exceptional..there always others that will find your work great.Anyway..enough gushing..LOL.

Judy..i love how well your doing with your celeb sims..excellent job.giving recs for each sim.

Fourteen...after loking at your walkthru..the main thing that i see needing work is filling in large open areas..suggestions would be add plants and pics..sometimes if a room feels to large to can add dividing walls to break up the large expanses.What i saw was you are making your home Sim Functional..which is fine for gameplay..but for Sharing with the general population..my Main suggestion is always: picture yourself walking into this home as if it were a real home.and ask yourself..would you want to live in it??Are walls and floors something you would want to live with everyday.Is furniture placement the way you would want it??You will always be happiest with your builds when they comfortably fit your tastes..We as a whole will always give our opinions to help improve your homes..But the final decisions always have to be your own..This is a great bunch of builders of different skill levels and everyone has great input.So when your building and feel like you need help..please post pics and we will gladly help you along.

Smoky..one reason i havent gotten the hang of Tombs and traps is because i havent developed a serious interest yet..Plus there was only one tutorial at my disposal and i didnt quite understand it...You made me laugh with your comment..But my dear lady,i am no superstar..I am still learning just like everyone else and you may understand many things before i do.I still wait for the day that i am learning from you.And i do believe that will happen before you realize it..lol

bergcrys.. I love all the modifications you have made to your landscaping since you started this project..The water garden and Zen garden look so much better..The area that i'm gonna call meditation area,(it has 2 benches and pergola above it)..something seems odd about this area..I'm not sure whether its the terrain paint being used or if it just needs more Plantlife..I wish i knoew what to suggest..Hoping some others will see this comment and add suggestions for that area.
    Ok..so i got to another post of your pics..Now i know what bothers me about the previous comments i was making..That particular terrain paint your using in your back yard resembles a lava flow to much to me.so it has an Ashey look to it.Since this is still WIP,i understand you may have already thought of this..BUt it looks like you need pathways from each end of your bridge..Your new rock garden and Veggie garden are well placed..I can see already,you may be like me and make the most of landscaping as much detail on the lots..It has been commented before that i tend to add so many cool things to my lots also..personally i think it just adds character..I have never really cared much for plain flat clean lots.So for my tastes your on the right track..LOL

FrugalMay ..I saw the blueprint..but not your work.It is a very nice home to build,BUt until i see your work..i dont know what to suggest.

To anyone concerned about downloading new worlds..I do not believe you have to have CAW installed to download new worlds..I dont have it..but have been successful in installing new worlds..NOW editing may be a different issue..I have no Info on that subject yet.
  • Options
    simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2009
    FrugalMay - Welcome! I can't see your build either but like Dark said it is a very nice house.
  • Options
    JuliababyjenJuliababyjen Posts: 783 Member
    edited December 2009
    Wicked, I am so sorry about your Dad! I know exactly what that feels like, I'm afraid. I suffered a severe stroke about 5 years ago. At first, I couldn't talk at all, and then when the TPA started working and I was able to talk, it was all nonsense for about 12 hours. I was lucky, though, I had a complete recovery. I hope your dad does, too!
  • Options
    JuliababyjenJuliababyjen Posts: 783 Member
    edited December 2009
    Finally caught up! You guys have been BUSY!

Judy, I love your Lennons, DL and rec them both! My hubby was walking by and saw them on my screen and did a double take! He couldn't believe they were sims, lol! He was very impressed, which is saying alot, he isn't a simmer.

bergcrys, your landscaping is really coming along! I love your rock garden!

SimTweek, THANK YOU for the world! I'm sorry its not working right now, I guess we'll all just have to be patient!

All I managed to do the last couple of days on the sims watch start a story. Its kind of silly, but if you want to read, here it is: http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=150910

After my 4 kids start school again, I'll probably be able to sit down at the computer longer than 15 minutes at a time and get something accomplished! I've been bursting with great ideas the last few days, and unable to realize them! Oh, well, its nice to actually spend some time with them!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So I have finally finished my landscaping. I feel like I have taken so much away from this assignment and I thank you guys for all your help and input. I think it turned out really nicely. Usually my landscaping looks very blah. Let me know what you guys think.

Aerial shot
    aerial.jpg
    Front of house
    frontofhouse.jpg
    Side of house
    sideofhouse.jpg
    Hill overlooking pond
    hill.jpg
    Rock Pond
    rockpond.jpg
    first rock garden + fountains
    rockgardenfountain1.jpg
    Pergola
    pergola.jpg
    Second rock garden + fountain
    rockgardenfountain2.jpg
    Back of house
    Backofhouse.jpg
    Vegetable garden
    vegetablegarden.jpg
    Shaded seating
    shadedseating.jpg
    Side deck and bbq area
    sidedeckandbarbeque.jpg
    Front fountain
    frontfountain.jpg
    Driveway and mailbox
    drivewayandmailbox.jpg
    bridge
    bridge.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2009
    dbl post
  • Options
    wolfsprytewolfspryte Posts: 187 New Member
    edited December 2009
    bergcrys... it's looking good! You should be very happy with yourself! Just a little pick... sorry... you should try to put "dirt" or "mulch" around the trees/shrubs/flowers/etc... otherwise, the terrain painting is going very well!! I must say tho, I'm not real sure about the paint you chose for the pathways... I'm really liking the Zen garden now! And, the pond and "hill" formations... very nice!!

Judy... your "beatles" are coming along quite nicely! WOW! :D

Everyone seems to be "growing" as builders! This is fun! A big thanks again to Magician and MerryWidow for bringing this forum to life! :D
  • Options
    darkside266darkside266 Posts: 2,077 Member
    edited December 2009
    bergcrys...first let me say..OVERALL your landscaping looks great.Your pathway paints are unusual to me,and the large fountain doesnt really fit the theme of your total Asian package,But if your happy with it,then thats what really matters..There is a new asian fountain if you were to choose to use it..or if you really love that one you used(the large one)You could just sink it in the ground and just have the upper part above ground..If you decided to go this route then what you do is lower a section of ground the size of that fountain,just enough to place lower part of fountain beneath surface..then turn on CFE and level ground over it..then all you have showing is very top part..I will include pic so you see what i'm saying.Otherwise..it all looks great.You can use same technique for placing that fountain in ponds..as seen below.

f9mgqc.jpg
    2zsw6xt.jpg
    2gw832b.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So I've taken what you guys said into consideration and upon further evaluation I realized I wasn't happy with the terrain paint for the paths either so I chose this one and redid it.

newpath.jpg

and im going to play with cfe now to see what I can come up with for the fountain cuz I agree with you. I needed something there but it's not quite right.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    i redid the fountain...tell me what you think.

newfountain.jpg
  • Options
    LiLSapphireLiLSapphire Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited December 2009

OH NO!!!

A terrible terrible tragedy has befallen Sunset Valley. Someone working at the Science Industry building let an experiment get out of hand and BOOM the place exploded distroying the entire town and killing most of the Sims who lived there.

The Studders Couple arrived in town a couple of days later shocked by the misfortune the town has suffered. They had come to Sunset Valley because they had heard it was a thriving pleasent town perfect for raising a family and had oppertunities abound for the ambitious go getter Sim.

Instead of leaving and heading to the neighboring town of Riverview they have decided to stay and rebuild the town.

Will the Studders be able to get Sunset Valley thriving once more or will they fail at the daunting task ahead of them?

Will they be able to start and raise a family while rebuilding the town? Or will their dreams of having a large family be burried in the rubble piles of reconstruction?

Will other Sims move into town as it is rebuilt or will it remain a ghost town?

We'll find out as the rebuild of Sunset Valley starts tonight when The Studders Couple arrives.

Lil

• Options
    edited December 2009
    bergcrys wrote:
    i redid the fountain...tell me what you think.

newfountain.jpg

It looks great and matches the rest of the landscaping. Great job

Lil
  • Options
    Jasonmazda2Jasonmazda2 Posts: 3,532 Member
    edited December 2009
    Just stopping by to say hi guys :) and that some fo the latest builds are looking great, congrats on passign 200 pages also :)

Did you notice my new signature lol, cool ay
    hgjghj.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    thanks lil :)
  • Options
    bangb12bangb12 Posts: 5
    edited December 2009
    Hey guys new "simmer" here. Ive had sims 3 for a while now but I just recently decided to get into it. I hope to begin building houses and other things and who knows maybe I will post pics here :) I'm not so good at building (and i really know I'm not good compared to any of you) but I hope you will enjoy my creations, when they come, nonetheless.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    bangb12 wrote:
    Hey guys new "simmer" here. Ive had sims 3 for a while now but I just recently decided to get into it. I hope to begin building houses and other things and who knows maybe I will post pics here :) I'm not so good at building (and i really know I'm not good compared to any of you) but I hope you will enjoy my creations, when they come, nonetheless.

bangb12

Welcome to the thread. Everyone here is extremely helpful and nice so don't be afraid to ask questions. By all means post your pics that's what we do here.

May I suggest you read the first 2-3 pages. They have all kinds of tutorials and building tips that you will find extremely helpful.

Also I would suggest you try the homework assignemts on page 1 they will help you understand the basics.

Happy New Year

Lil
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    These are my options for cover pics for my story.

cover1.jpg

cover4.jpg

cover2.jpg

cover3.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hey all!

Bangb.. welcome! Can't wait to see some of your builds! This thread has helped me greatly with interior design and such! Hope you find it just as helpful!

bergcrys.. OMGoodness! MUCH better! I'm liking the new fountain! And, the paths are better with the new paint! :D

I've started my CFE "homework"... will post a couple pics tomorrow!
  • Options
    edited December 2009

OH NO!!!

A terrible terrible tragedy has befallen Sunset Valley. Someone working at the Science Industry building let an experiment get out of hand and BOOM the place exploded distroying the entire town and killing most of the Sims who lived there.

The Studders Couple arrived in town a couple of days later shocked by the misfortune the town has suffered. They had come to Sunset Valley because they had heard it was a thriving pleasent town perfect for raising a family and had oppertunities abound for the ambitious go getter Sim.

Instead of leaving and heading to the neighboring town of Riverview they have decided to stay and rebuild the town.

Will the Studders be able to get Sunset Valley thriving once more or will they fail at the daunting task ahead of them?

Will they be able to start and raise a family while rebuilding the town? Or will their dreams of having a large family be burried in the rubble piles of reconstruction?

Will other Sims move into town as it is rebuilt or will it remain a ghost town?

We'll find out as the rebuild of Sunset Valley starts tonight when The Studders Couple arrives.

Lil

Hey Lil.. whacha doooin'?? ;) As you know, I'm also disabled, and I'm **** glad for the Sims... helps me keep my sanity... what's left of it! lol Also glad to know I'm not the only one spending 15 hours "playing/building" the Sims. Some days it's about all I can do.

I want to wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I hope you all succeed in whatever endeavors you undertake in 2010! And, I hope life brings you peace and happiness!
  • Options
    judywork1957judywork1957 Posts: 6,594 Member
    edited December 2009
    Hi and Happy New Year to everyone!! Whew!! I am finally done with my Beatles!
    vgrg9x.jpg

Here they are in game.... hahahaha I don't have a home for them yet so they are ummm ahhh staying with.... Agnes CrumpleBottom!!
    33ynmmp.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top