Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New EA App

Comments

• Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    TS3 players should use Origin.
    TS3 Store content isn't compatible with EA app and it's not possible to buy SimPoints.

TS2 Ultimate Edition, TS2 Store Edition and The Sims Stories can't be downloaded with EA App.

How do you propose that will be possible once origin is forcibly replaced by ea app the next time someone goes online, once the change is made as they have said it will be?
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited November 2022
    @ignominiusrex

EA is working on these issues.

Origin for Mac is still the official software so the Windows version will keep on working in the future.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    userafw wrote: »
    shorty943p wrote: »
    As the title says. at start Origin is pushing the new EA App.

Has anybody installed it and how bad is it?

Does it totally replace Origin and can we use it the same way, or have they "messed" with us again?

Unfortunately they now disabled Origin to force everyone to use the EA app instead. But the EA app is missing several features Origin had… it cannot use command line arguments for compatibility. It cannot repair game. And it does not play nicely with older games. Not to mention, if EA refuses to continue to support and distribute a game, this is the very definition of abandonware. Off topic… there are a lot of Commodore and Atari 8 bit games in that category that can be played with emulators.

Actually you can repair game with app and there is a place for command lines but I don't know which ones you can use there.

MyoWRUZ.png

1id6LSt.png

I hope we can either choose which packs to transfer over or at least disable the ones desired. This is the main reason I’m holding out transferring. 👨‍💻

There’s some packs I regret buying and really don’t want to see them activated. 😭

Although I’ve begun to notice my Sims 4 is very laggy. I hope it’s not Origin not being supported. 🙄🤦🏼‍♂️

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    GalisilGalisil Posts: 15 New Member
    When will we need to / be forced to switch to the EA app?
    The announcement suggests a push by end of the year (which is drawing close).
    It also says we will get 'invited' to do so, but I have not received any 'invitation' so far.
    I believe the message at the top of origin does not count as an 'invitation'?
  • Options
    GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited November 2022
    Nobody can tell you when that is to happen. But you can download the app any time you want.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I downloaded the EA app today after updating. I feel relieved that it went so easily for someone who doesn’t know what they are doing on a computer. I also got the 2 new ikits. I feel relieved it was easier than I thought it would be, Come on infants……,I can’t wait!!
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    Did anyone play Sims Medieval through the new App? I can't even make it work on Origin, and I'd really appreciate being able to play such an old game offline.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited November 2022
    Galisil wrote: »
    When will we need to / be forced to switch to the EA app?
    The announcement suggests a push by end of the year (which is drawing close).
    It also says we will get 'invited' to do so, but I have not received any 'invitation' so far.
    I believe the message at the top of origin does not count as an 'invitation'?

I kind of updated to the EA App. on accident. When I purchased one of the new kits I did it through the game rather than straight through origin and it asked me….download by app? I just clicked on that because I couldn’t see another way to download it from there……. Then the kit didn’t show up in my game so, I decided I had better download the app, I think I did if from that message on top you are talking about. I had a little problem when they wanted my password. I wasn’t sure what password they wanted, so I clicked forgot password and they sent something to my phone so I could change it. Luckily everything went fine. It Installed the EA app, ( and I wrote down my new password), and then the app deleted Origin automatically and replaced it with the EA app. It seems to be working fine. I bought that second kit through the EA app. I’m just glad it did about all the work for me. I played my game for a few hours, and then I got out. I’m just glad it all seemed to go well for me. If it hadn’t I don’t know what I would have done. It was easier than I thought. I don’t use mods or CC, afraid I couldn’t figure out how to do all that stuff, but maybe with the new feature they are coming out with I will be able to easily get some of the approved mods/Cc I hope they update the mods and stuff automatically when the game updates. If would make me want to try them more if I don’t have to fool around with them.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    Is there info anywhere what to do with my saves when I download the app? Do I have to do the same thing that I had to do when I got a new laptop? I mean... does the new app download my Sims 4 saves and screenshots or do I have to (for example) save them on the desktop and transfer them to the game after changing the app?
    I'm really stupid with computers and I'm terrified of updating to EA App. :anguished:
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,873 Member
    @Kimmer

Your existing installation, save games and other user files will be recognized by EA app just as they do in Origin. The user files can be found in the same place as before.

More info here:
    https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2022/11/sims-4-and-ea-app/
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    edited November 2022
    EA app is great, it's the windows causing a lot of issues. Did you know that the default for windows is CLOUD! I couldn't play offline (I was on Sims3 atm) so I went to You Tube and typed in the search box "one drive issues in windows11" (without quotations). I watched "sync Icons explained" by Chris Menard for files and folders. There are 3 clouds: 1) white cloud means its only on the cloud. 2) white circle with green check mark inside means, it's on the device and the cloud. 3) green circle with white checkmark means it's always available on the device. Note: if your files have not finished syncing to the cloud yet, you need to restart the computer to finish the syncing. I did notice a YT video of stuck syncs but never got around to checking that out yet, I just restart!

@Simmerville , I installed Medieval to check this out for you, and played it. I couldn't quit till I got to a point in the tutorial where it said I could save, then I played some more and saved and quit the game. I logged off and restarted my computer so the files would sync because I have mine syncing to computer device and cloud. The only thing I noticed was that when I clicked on My Collection it brought up the manage or download buttons. I did not click on those because it was already downloaded. Not sure why it shows that. So, you have to click of My Collection and you will see your games there right under the my collections tab on the left), when you click on Medieval just hit the little blue button right next to it, that is the play button to use. It worked offline just fine.

Hope this helps someone, the syncing also works for windows 10.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    @Kimmer

Your existing installation, save games and other user files will be recognized by EA app just as they do in Origin. The user files can be found in the same place as before.

More info here:
    https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2022/11/sims-4-and-ea-app/
    Thank you so much for help. :)
    I'm much less scared to update now, but I will wait until it's absolutely necessary. I'm still afraid that something goes wrong and I can't fix it. It wouldn't be the first time, computers and I... we don't speak the same language. :p
  • Options
    Thanks @FairyGodMother

I'm still on Win 8.1 btw. No plans on upgrading Win until I'm forced when getting my next computer sometime in the future.
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,658 Member
    Thanks @FairyGodMother

I'm still on Win 8.1 btw. No plans on upgrading Win until I'm forced when getting my next computer sometime in the future.

My secondary laptop is 8.1, too, and I'm not upgrading either. My main laptop is win 10, I've not heard anything positive about win 11 at all.
    This EA app changeover all sounds very foreboding.
    I rarely update my game, and always play offline, so it seems like I'm going to be forced into a new way of playing.
    I'm hanging out until the very last second!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I found this walk through and found quite useful and enlightening.
    I'm not feeling so wary now I've had a sneak preview.
    If like they say, all your games will be automatically transferred from Origin, it should be quite straight foreword.
    I think, "repair game" was called something else, but it's there. EDIT: just looked at the screenshot above. The repair button must be there for when you've got your game ready to play. On the other one it was on the side menu where the other game options were.
    I'm happier now I've already pinpointed the offline mode button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuRlkuGFuoA
    Post edited by February11 on
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member

Oh no 😭. It’s too soon 🥺. Thanks for the warning!

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    Oh no. I'm too scared to even look!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I'm still able to use Origin. I had already downloaded EA App about a month ago but kept a copy of the Origin installation thing. I launched EA App to check it out and to see if my content was there and if the games I had installed launched properly and all that. But I decided to go back to Origin after that. I got the notification the other day, but I logged out of Origin and back in again and the popup/notification to use EA App was gone and as of now I'm still able to launch TS4 and TS2 through it. I reckon it's only a matter of time before Origin no longer functions but I'll keep using it until then.
  • Options
    I'm using Origin today. No message for me re the app yet. This weekend would actually be a good time for me to install and test the app, but I don't see how I can install it - that old top line link is long gone. I read they are moving our accounts over bit by bit, just would like to know it before it happens, because I'm busy with several projects and forcing the switch on me with no chance to prepare or decide when - right before Christmas, will probably mean I need to pause everything game related until after the holidays. It's just not the easiest time of the year to handle sudden changes that might take some time and efforts to make work. Therefore, if I find a link to installing the app, this weekend is my last chance.
  • Options
    GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    You can find the download link here:

https://www.ea.com/ea-app
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,449 Member
    deleted
  • Options
    Gagea wrote: »

Thank you! I'll try switching over later today.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Gagea wrote: »

Thank you! I'll try switching over later today.

I did it this afternoon with no complications. It was a pretty tense moment watching it happen.
    First thing was it said there was an account error and I thought, here we go, and no sooner had I thought that, the log in popped up, and I logged in successfully. Everything was there. My games were there. I found Go Offline easily. Turned off automatic updates in settings. I had to hunt a bit for repair game for future reference.
    All and all, it was a swift transition.
    I have played for an hour or so, exited game, and replayed that many times to check it was still going to work.
    How neurotic does all this make us!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    AjaGioAjaGio Posts: 262 Member
    I still have to use Origin because EA app won't launch "connection error" Sims4. It is the only game that won't launch :s
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled the EA app. I have only loaded Sims4 base game. I have reached out with several error reports. I did what ppl said to do on YouTube. Nothing is working and no help.
    I hope it either gets fixed or I can still use Origin. It's sad because I have all Sims4 games, packs stuff and kits. I've spent too much money not to be able to play. :'(
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top