Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims 4 Endgame?

Comments

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited May 2018
    No
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I wasn't that up on the news as I've only seen two interviews after Skyrim ended that mentioned a future version. Were they talking about it during the release of Skyrim though and the DLC's run? That would be news to me if they were.

Not that I am aware of, but of course there was never cause to have to ask if there would be a future game at that point in time, it was just a given. The studio was growing heading into Fallout 4, not experiencing layoffs and budget cuts, there wasn't any real cause for concern from the players. I don't know of anyone even wondering "will there be a TES6" until after FO4 when Bethesda said that the next game was not TES6.

They were pretty quick to definitively answer the question once it was out there though. That is the kind of communication I would call reassuring.

Well I can't deny that. Bethesda has said there will be one made eventually (elder scrolls 6).. and that's where we are still hanging. I guess that's enough, huh? This company is using a different tactic. I'm not saying I agree with it but there's nothing I can use but my logic. I think eventually there will be another Sims game, of course since I'm not wanting this one to end any time soon.. it doesn't bother me as much as others.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

(is that your collection by the way? ; love the photo and how it’s displayed!)

Yip its my sims collection, I am a bit of a simaholic, have all of sims 1 to 4. You can see the full book case with sides and things here. The one side has a plumbob evolution with sims 1 to 4 and medieval plumbobs :)http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/925261/my-sim-collection-finally-displayed-in-green-lol/p1

Post edited by mcrudd on
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    No

A remake of Sims 3 at EA Play would be a nice surprise. None of the Gurus indicated an End Game. "a top priority within Maxis, and it isn’t going anywhere."
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yes
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

That link is not really an answer to the question in the original post. I also saw that as too vague to really be a comfort the PC genre of gamers.

It was a comfort to me that Sims 4 will be adding more to it - as EA is not about to pay people to sit there doing nothing. This game has nothing to do with the next series - and EA itself never announces the next series until about 15-16 month before it comes out. So I don't expect to hear from EA on the next one for at least 3 more years judging they just recently posted the job for the person needed to design the next version. So the job offer gave me confidence in the next version seeing if they had no plans - that job would not be posted. And the linked thread from Graham confirmed to me Sims 4 is far from over.

So I suppose it all depends on people viewing both of these factors as well as being aware how EA has done business with this franchise for the last 18 + years. I know my worries are satisfied - and you say yours are not. Fair enough. Seeing neither of us can look into the future - I guess we each need to find our own solutions on dealing with what we each think.

I chose to happily look toward the future and continue to enjoy the present version and what it looks to me as to what is to come to this game.

I prefer they take their time to make TS5 a good game and not something awful like TS4.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited May 2018

That link is not really an answer to the question in the original post. I also saw that as too vague to really be a comfort the PC genre of gamers.

It was a comfort to me that Sims 4 will be adding more to it - as EA is not about to pay people to sit there doing nothing. This game has nothing to do with the next series - and EA itself never announces the next series until about 15-16 month before it comes out. So I don't expect to hear from EA on the next one for at least 3 more years judging they just recently posted the job for the person needed to design the next version. So the job offer gave me confidence in the next version seeing if they had no plans - that job would not be posted. And the linked thread from Graham confirmed to me Sims 4 is far from over.

So I suppose it all depends on people viewing both of these factors as well as being aware how EA has done business with this franchise for the last 18 + years. I know my worries are satisfied - and you say yours are not. Fair enough. Seeing neither of us can look into the future - I guess we each need to find our own solutions on dealing with what we each think.

I chose to happily look toward the future and continue to enjoy the present version and what it looks to me as to what is to come to this game.

I prefer they take their time to make TS5 a good game and not something awful like TS4.

yes and no for me.
    with the current team. I hope their not going to be working on it. dont fancy a sims 5 with the same people. or at least those left.
    Its taking them a whole year just to do one half finished expansion pack, some even less. how extra time on a base game will do it anymore good, makes you worry. we never had issues like this in the past games. they gave us fuller packs regular. this team don't and they get a a year pretty much now with four.

:(

after 4 years the base game still is pretty poor

some careers
    npcs
    toddlers

okay,

but what about the rest of the base game.

with this,

no overly confident in the sims 5 being any better
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    SuRihtanilSuRihtanil Posts: 1,456 Member
    edited May 2018
    No
    No, because consoles still suck in comparison to PCs. I have tried sims on console and it imo not the same, its not a user friendly its not mod friendly. Still the main reason I feel no is because computers are easier than ever to build or buy. They're not $3,000 anymore for a entry level gateway/dell PC(everyone nearly owns PC) like it was when sims first became a franchise. Plus EA is all about making money only reason the sims 4 is subpar they tried to do online... like SimCity online, failure. If they make sims 5 offline from start it will be a hot seller.
  • Options
    ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
    No

Cannot say if it's the end of the PC version of Sims for EA/Maxis or not...but I agree with @peach1red

If EA/Maxis does not deliver a new Sims series, I think someone else will come along and revive the concept, probably in a new and fascinating way.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,347 Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes
    Maybe it won't be the end of the franchise.
    The Will Wright's Maxis era is over a long time ago, it's possible The Sims Studio era may end.

TS1 and TS2 got something crazy, TS3 and TS4 are more Barbie doll/casual games. TS5 could get something like cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLCCTvpt1Vs
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I don't want Rockstar (with their litigious "we make the game and you're gonna take it" attitude) to touch the Sims franchise. The way they go after modders is not the way that I want a life-simulation to be handled. Modding and CC is the lifeblood of life-simulations.

So Rockstar Games can bugger off as far as making any sort of Sims-like life-simulations.

it amazes me how people could dislike the idea without ever seeing it :o

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    No
    They will continue what makes them money and I think they will continue with S4 for a while, because as they said, it isn't like past games and shouldn't be compared to them. I bought this game even though I wanted open worlds, so I want it fully fleshed out so I can get my money's worth.

As for the future, S5 +, if they are smart, it will be a choice where simmers can play alone and online/with others as they wish. I might would dabble in online, but 95-7% of the time would be just me in my own games alone.
  • Options
    NelusNelus Posts: 151 Member
    maybe a sims 5 would be fully fleshed out faster than sims 4 if continued.
    as long as it is better im fine if they switch to sims 5. wouldnt mind new packs for sims 3 aswell but yeah not gonna happen.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes
    Nelus wrote: »
    as long as it is better im fine if they switch to sims 5. wouldnt mind new packs for sims 3 aswell but yeah not gonna happen.

Well maybe you will be happy and some simmers would - but for many of us - this game is not finished by a long shot - I'd be furious personally and would not buy for the fact they stopped in the middle of what the game hasn't offered yet. It's like reading a book and the whole ending is missing at the half way point in the book. You can bet your bottom dollar I would never buy another book from that writer. So just no. I don't care how many years it takes - this game needs to feel it has reached an end stage before they move on to the next rendition.

Want to see a comedian die - let him tell jokes and never give the punch line. Want to see tv watchers go ballistic - have the cable go out in the middle of a movie and not come back on. Go to a restaurant and have the restaurant suddenly shut down after you just get your salad - before the main meal is served. People do not like getting half way through something and not get the whole package they expect. Never a good idea to pull the rug out from under your " paying" long time customers for any reason - never, ever a good idea.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes

Well maybe you will be happy and some simmers would - but for many of us - this game is not finished by a long shot - I'd be furious personally and would not buy for the fact they stopped in the middle of what the game hasn't offered yet. It's like reading a book and the whole ending is missing at the half way point in the book. You can bet your bottom dollar I would never buy another book from that writer. So just no. I don't care how many years it takes - this game needs to feel it has reached an end stage before they move on to the next rendition.

Want to see a comedian die - let him tell jokes and never give the punch line. Want to see tv watchers go ballistic - have the cable go out in the middle of a movie and not come back on. Go to a restaurant and have the restaurant suddenly shut down after you just get your salad - before the main meal is served. People do not like getting half way through something and not get the whole package they expect. Never a good idea to pull the rug out from under your " paying" long time customers for any reason - never, ever a good idea.
    I on the other hand would be really put off if I’d have to wait for like ten years for a game to get finally ‘finished’, especially when it’s a game I don’t care about. And I don’t believe I’m alone there. What does Sims 4 still need to finish in your opinion?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    A version of an game series can last a few years or it can last 7 years as an example, not all versions have the same years in an production cycle that is written in stone meaning yes they can end Sims 4 next year if they wish. I rather have more features at this time that just items and I am beginning to think about all the stuff packs that are being produced now. Maybe there is no more features for Sims 4 to be made depending on various reasons. It appears there will be no editing tools to alter an neighborhood, no neighborhood creation tools, etc. Sure they can keep on creating neighborhoods but those are far and in between and never the neighborhoods some of us really want. Unless EA/Maxis can pull an rabbit out of thier hat Sims 4 may have peaked for me and I am waiting for Seasons to come out and see how that works out hopefully not like CL.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Yes

I on the other hand would be really put off if I’d have to wait for like ten years for a game to get finally ‘finished’, especially when it’s a game I don’t care about. And I don’t believe I’m alone there. What does Sims 4 still need to finish in your opinion?

University, witches and other missing supernaturals (witches has been in every sims game since the first just like vamps), the third Vacation pack (resorts, hotels, beach fun), a city with more than just more bars, a pack on some type of time travel or at least a totally different new idea not done before, the fame type pack - at the very least. It's not the sims series without at least those too.

Also many other games have longer waiting periods too. We waited 9 years for Fallout 4 since Fall out 3 came out. I also see some games wait for actual years just between expansions. My hubby plays several that has a 3-4 year wait just for an ep. WOW is one of those. Counterstrike he started in 2000 and is still on the original game and has had I believe 7 expansions during that time - no new series at all, just like wow. Many of his games is like this and he used to have issues with me starting over all the time in Sims because he plays a lot of game for years that have never gotten a redo - just eps. LOL. One difference I notice - his counterstrike expansions can be played by themselves somehow or together. It is a Steam thing so that may be why. His wow though needs all the eps to have all the areas from what I understand. He has many games and most he has been playing the same base along with all eps for 15-20 years,

I think it is the Sims that is unusual in a redo every 5 years. So it does make sense to extend the shelf life.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    No

University, witches and other missing supernaturals (witches has been in every sims game since the first just like vamps), the third Vacation pack (resorts, hotels, beach fun), a city with more than just more bars, a pack on some type of time travel or at least a totally different new idea not done before, the fame type pack - at the very least. It's not the sims series without at least those too.

don't forget seasons and slow dance
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Yes

don't forget seasons and slow dance

Oh I didn't technically as I just assume that is most likely the next ep - didn't really think it needed mentioning as that is more or less a given in some form or other. I hope anyway. LOL. Not sure about the slow dancing - even though I want it as badly as everyone - but I understand they have issues with sims occupying the same space in this game with that multi-tasking and who knows if it will ever reach approval status. Unlike modders - they suppose to make sure it doesn't create issues. There are other things we haven't gotten yet for the same reason like lounge chairs, swings, bed cuddling, hand holding etc apparently. But fingers crossed on that and some of the others.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Yes

Also many other games have longer waiting periods too. We waited 9 years for Fallout 4 since Fall out 3 came out. I also see some games wait for actual years just between expansions. My hubby plays several that has a 3-4 year wait just for an ep. WOW is one of those. Counterstrike he started in 2000 and is still on the original game and has had I believe 7 expansions during that time - no new series at all, just like wow. Many of his games is like this and he used to have issues with me starting over all the time in Sims because he plays a lot of game for years that have never gotten a redo - just eps. LOL. One difference I notice - his counterstrike expansions can be played by themselves somehow or together. It is a Steam thing so that may be why. His wow though needs all the eps to have all the areas from what I understand. He has many games and most he has been playing the same base along with all eps for 15-20 years,

I think it is the Sims that is unusual in a redo every 5 years. So it does make sense to extend the shelf life.
    I’ve been playing Sims 3 for 8,5 years now, I know a game can still be fun when it’s old ;) My point rather was perspective. You say you’d be furious if they wouldn’t finish Sims 4, which apparently means adding certain features that were in predecessors (you said a while ago a Sims game is never finished by the way and I think there’s truth in that; you can add DLC to it as long as the game can carry it). But I think it’s debatable whether the game actually needs those to be finished, are they a reason to become furious over when they won’t be added? In other words: I understand you’d love for those features to be added to the game before the curtain falls, but is there a justified reason to become furious when they don’t? Is the game unfinished because there are no witches? Are we still in the phase where it’s irrational of players like me to long for it to end and look forward to a next game? Because you are suggesting a Sims 5 announcement would be uncalled for right now. Is it?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,347 Member
    Yes
    "The Sims™ community had more than 80 million Sims players across PC and mobile in fiscal 2018.

The right answer is... No
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Yes
    "The Sims™ community had more than 80 million Sims players across PC and mobile in fiscal 2018.

The right answer is... No

Exactly. We outdid Battlefield's 60 mil. When are they going to move us to BIG GAME Status! Like I said in another post - where's our Crown. Ye-haw Sims.

There is one bit of satisfaction in all those studios that keep saying Sims is too hard or expensive to make for them to make a similar game - haha.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Yes

I’ve been playing Sims 3 for 8,5 years now, I know a game can still be fun when it’s old ;) My point rather was perspective. You say you’d be furious if they wouldn’t finish Sims 4, which apparently means adding certain features that were in predecessors (you said a while ago a Sims game is never finished by the way and I think there’s truth in that; you can add DLC to it as long as the game can carry it). But I think it’s debatable whether the game actually needs those to be finished, are they a reason to become furious over when they won’t be added? In other words: I understand you’d love for those features to be added to the game before the curtain falls, but is there a justified reason to become furious when they don’t? Is the game unfinished because there are no witches? Are we still in the phase where it’s irrational of players like me to long for it to end and look forward to a next game? Because you are suggesting a Sims 5 announcement would be uncalled for right now. Is it?

More so than ever. Earnings call.... Believe me - we should have no problem getting more of those desired and needed packs. Also if they don't add packs like that it does not feel like a complete package to our never ending game. You have a lot of fun with the older games because they already have what is deeply felt as missing. Making a fake witch or having a fake school is not the same thing as having those things made by Maxis in your game. It's just not. I have fun with those too - but to reach their degree of immersion I need those packs too. Like have sims as doctors without a Uni feels seriously like something is very much missing. Playing my supernaturals where witches are my favorite one of them all makes just playing Vamps incomplete. It is just the way it is for me anyway. I doubt Sims 3 would be half the fun if you only had gotten for it what we have gotten for Sims 4. Then maybe you would understand,

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    No

You are comparing things that have nothing to do with eachother.
    1. WOW is an online game where the main income is subscription fees. It is unlikely that there ever will be a WoW 2.
    2. Fallout and Counterstrike are two very different series of standalone games which don’t have expansions or packs. Such games don’t need new versions unless they have become too old to work well on modern hardware. Sometimes this happens in only a couple of years. Sometimes it takes longer times. New versions can also be delayed because they weren’t planned and the game company therefore is busy with other games.
    3. The big Sims games aren’t standalone games because EA knows that the main income comes from selling extra content in packs. Therefore EA makes a new game engine for each game such that the packs can be developed much faster, cheaper and become easy to install anyway. But EA also knows that packs only will sell well a few years and that EA therefore needs to release a new game after about 5 years unless EA wants the income and sales numbers to go down more than reasonably.

So yes the Sims games are unusual because it isn’t the basegame but all the extra packs that are far more profitable for EA than the basegames are. This can’t be seen in any other game where extra packs only rarely sell very well.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Yes
    Erpe wrote: »

1. WOW is an online game where the main income is subscription fees. It is unlikely that there ever will be a WoW 2.
    2. Fallout and Counterstrike are two very different series of standalone games which don’t have expansions or packs. Such games don’t need new versions unless they have become too old to work well on modern hardware. Sometimes this happens in only a couple of years. Sometimes it takes longer times. New versions can also be delayed because they weren’t planned and the game company therefore is busy with other games.
    3. The big Sims games aren’t standalone games because EA knows that the main income comes from selling extra content in packs. Therefore EA makes a new game engine for each game such that the packs can be developed much faster, cheaper and become easy to install anyway. But EA also knows that packs only will sell well a few years and that EA therefore needs to release a new game after about 5 years unless EA wants the income and sales numbers to go down more than reasonably.

So yes the Sims games are unusual because it isn’t the basegame but all the extra packs that are far more profitable for EA than the basegames are. This can’t be seen in any other game where extra packs only rarely sell very well.

Fallout has had six expansions which I have and another pack that is a new texture pack that I did not get - I made this computer for Fallout 4 - pre-ordered the game even - so don't tell me it does not get expansions -these are the packs:

Automatron

Wasteland Workshop

Far Harbor (add-on)

Contraptions Workshop

Vault-Tec Workshop

Nuka-World (add-on)

High Resolution Texture Pack (did not get this one)

I lost count of how many packs hubby has of Counter strike add ons, campaigns, etc. - you are not just talking to a simmer here. I started gaming eons ago - Fall out 4 came out a year after Sims 4 - on November 10th 2015. We got the first pack early in 2016 for FO4-
    The texture pack I heard was the last pack for Fallout 4 most likely.

WOW you can earn gold and pay your subscription fee now a days -

80 million players in Sims 4 and still constantly growing- don't think EA is worried.... Read the Q&A part of the Earning Call... Oh and the Sims 4 was the second highest in all EA games in use on the LIVE SERVICE that you keep claiming we are not even a part of. That info is also in the Earning call - . EA is extremely happy with the Sims 4. Andrew Wilson said they have a lot of great stuff planned and coming for Sims 4. Unfortunately he gave no clues though - darn it. I was hoping something would slip out - but it didn't.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Yes

More so than ever. Earnings call.... Believe me - we should have no problem getting more of those desired and needed packs. Also if they don't add packs like that it does not feel like a complete package to our never ending game. You have a lot of fun with the older games because they already have what is deeply felt as missing. Making a fake witch or having a fake school is not the same thing as having those things made by Maxis in your game. It's just not. I have fun with those too - but to reach their degree of immersion I need those packs too. Like have sims as doctors without a Uni feels seriously like something is very much missing. Playing my supernaturals where witches are my favorite one of them all makes just playing Vamps incomplete. It is just the way it is for me anyway. I doubt Sims 3 would be half the fun if you only had gotten for it what we have gotten for Sims 4. Then maybe you would understand,
    I do understand, it’s why simmers like me have been objecting against all those stuff packs instead of ‘substance’. Against getting a JA instead of a WA, against getting a C&D/MFP instead of a Pets. But we’ve been refuted in that respect all this time, as long as I remember Sims 4 fans have been trying to persuade us that Sims 4 packs are amazing. They’d add more content for less money is what people have wanted people like me to believe all this time. So how come that we’ve apparently reached a point now where the game is about as old as the predecessors ever were and has about the same amount of packs added (and has cost about the same) and we’re still not there? That’s a contradictio in terminis.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    No
    Erpe wrote: »

Fallout has had several expansion - I made this computer fr Fallout 4 - pre-ordered it even - so don't tell me it does not get expansions - and I lost count of how man packs hubby has of Counter strike add ons, campaigns, etc. - you are not just talking to a simmer here.
    I never played the game. But Fallout 4 is from 2015 and seems to have got some add ones which you get for free if only you buy a season pass for about $50. This isn’t comparable to the Sims 4 which was released in 2014 and already has 4 EPs, 6 GPs, 14 SPs and a lot of free downloadable extra content too.

EA released TS4 with very little content because it was targeted a new simmers. The idea was to earn a lot of money by constantly releasing small packs which those new simmers could afford and to keep them interested by also releasing free content all the time. Such a strategy works well for the Sims games even in about 5 years for each game. But it wouldn’t work for any other game that I know about because people stop playing if the basegame doesn’t have all the interesting things and then switches to othe games instead. So if a game company in the same way attempted to release more content after people already had moved on (or were about to do it) then this extra content wouldn’t really sell at all. Therefore other games have to be much more complete when they are released and only get a little more content if they become more popular than the game company expected.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top