Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims 4 Endgame?

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes
    Erpe, I didn't get anything for free technically. I paid 29.99 for each of the first 4 packs I bought and 59.99 for the main game. They first offered the seasons pass before any packs had been mentioned. I was not about to pay 50 bucks on top of the 59.99 for the game when I had no idea what they were. I don't buy things I have no idea what it is unless it's for charity. LOL. So nope - bought 4 of them on steam as they came out and as I said I never got the 7th pack, and 2 on steam during the Christmas sale at 15.99 each (you could say those were free as I had the money in my Steam wallet. Because Hubby and I are gamers - many family members just send us cash cards for Steam, and EA, and gift cards for Amazon often in Christmas cards - so Christmas sales I am ready - lol most years.

now that FO4 is done you can get it and all it's packs pretty cheap actually. They have some box sets also. And tons of merchandise for collectors. I don't do any of that at all. I'm just a gamer. If it is not usable in the game - I don't really want it.

ETA - Of course it's not the same kind of game - I don't get that point. There is only really one kind of Sims game - as far as I am concerned - The Sims series - it's in a league all it's own. The Sims is my Calgon. Not sure if you will get that - but basically it is my escape. My safe place.

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,251 Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes
    "The Sims™ community had more than 80 million Sims players across PC and mobile in fiscal 2018.

The right answer is... No

Just I moderate the "80 million Sims players" because it may include The Sims 3 players.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Yes
    "The Sims™ community had more than 80 million Sims players across PC and mobile in fiscal 2018.

Just I moderate the "80 million Sims players" because it may include The Sims 3 players.

That I cannot say -but it seemed everytime pc was mentioned he said Sims 4 pc as best as I recall. I am not sure how any other game would be counted on the live service system but maybe Sims mobile. Is Sims 3 also on the live service? I did not assume it was seeing it doesn't get updates or free new content via the live service. That was where he was getting his figures from.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    No

Sims 3 and Sims 4 players don’t count much here because nearly all those 80 million Sims players are the people who tried the Sims Mobile for free after it launched at March 7 which was just three weeks before EA’s fiscal year 2018 ended. People were just curious about the new free mobile Sims game. So they downloaded it and played it for a couple of weeks. But those simmers don’t really matter much anyway if they stopped playing the Sims Mobile in April or May.

The big Sims games for the PC usually only sold about 6 million copies each - with the Sims 1 as the exception that sold about twice as much (about 12 million copies). But the free mobile games are downloaded much more and the Sims Freeplay was already downloaded more than 200 million times years ago.
  • Options
    CeCeDotCeCeDot Posts: 230 Member
    Yes
    Erpe wrote: »

Sims 3 and Sims 4 players don’t count much here because nearly all those 80 million

Only 1/8 of them are from TSM. Yeah that's a huge chunk, but not nearly all.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    No
    CeCeDot wrote: »

Sims 3 and Sims 4 players don’t count much here because nearly all those 80 million

Only 1/8 of them are from TSM. Yeah that's a huge chunk, but not nearly all.
    How can most of the 80 million simmers be from TS3 and TS4 when those two games only has sold about 6 million copies each?

The problem with the Sims Mobile is that it was downloaded, installed and opened by a huge number of simmers when it was just released. EA likely counts all those simmers as members of the Sims Community until they has stopped playing the game for a couple of weeks or a months. But the number of active simmers who play the Sims Mobile has gone down very fast in the last couple of months as you can see on https://www.similarweb.com/app/google-play/com.ea.gp.simsmobile/statistics Therefore the number of active simmers playing it on March 30 is unrealistic high.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Yes

That's very vague. Also past tense! I mean that could be across the sims 2, 3 and 4 and mobile. All need Origin now to play.

• Options
    Yes
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Nelus wrote: »
    maybe a sims 5 would be fully fleshed out faster than sims 4 if continued.
    as long as it is better im fine if they switch to sims 5. wouldnt mind new packs for sims 3 aswell but yeah not gonna happen.

Well maybe you will be happy and some simmers would - but for many of us - this game is not finished by a long shot - I'd be furious personally and would not buy for the fact they stopped in the middle of what the game hasn't offered yet. It's like reading a book and the whole ending is missing at the half way point in the book. You can bet your bottom dollar I would never buy another book from that writer. So just no. I don't care how many years it takes - this game needs to feel it has reached an end stage before they move on to the next rendition.

Want to see a comedian die - let him tell jokes and never give the punch line. Want to see tv watchers go ballistic - have the cable go out in the middle of a movie and not come back on. Go to a restaurant and have the restaurant suddenly shut down after you just get your salad - before the main meal is served. People do not like getting half way through something and not get the whole package they expect. Never a good idea to pull the rug out from under your " paying" long time customers for any reason - never, ever a good idea.
    I on the other hand would be really put off if I’d have to wait for like ten years for a game to get finally ‘finished’, especially when it’s a game I don’t care about. And I don’t believe I’m alone there. What does Sims 4 still need to finish in your opinion?

University, witches and other missing supernaturals (witches has been in every sims game since the first just like vamps), the third Vacation pack (resorts, hotels, beach fun), a city with more than just more bars, a pack on some type of time travel or at least a totally different new idea not done before, the fame type pack - at the very least. It's not the sims series without at least those too.

Also many other games have longer waiting periods too. We waited 9 years for Fallout 4 since Fall out 3 came out. I also see some games wait for actual years just between expansions. My hubby plays several that has a 3-4 year wait just for an ep. WOW is one of those. Counterstrike he started in 2000 and is still on the original game and has had I believe 7 expansions during that time - no new series at all, just like wow. Many of his games is like this and he used to have issues with me starting over all the time in Sims because he plays a lot of game for years that have never gotten a redo - just eps. LOL. One difference I notice - his counterstrike expansions can be played by themselves somehow or together. It is a Steam thing so that may be why. His wow though needs all the eps to have all the areas from what I understand. He has many games and most he has been playing the same base along with all eps for 15-20 years,

I think it is the Sims that is unusual in a redo every 5 years. So it does make sense to extend the shelf life.

That is not comparable at all. In the seven years between Fallout 3 and 4 it was a complete game. The sims has never sold as a complete game. It's the only game I play (and I play a wide variety of games) that sells dlc as it does. Yes there are many games that have season passes but even that is not comparable as without a season pass with the majority of games are still getting a complete, full experience. The season pass is optional and not required. Sims 4 dlc on the other hand is marketed as optional but one quick look at the shocking amount of stuff packs in particular we have and how lacking the game is without those objects indicate that the dlc is purposefully being broken up into crumbs to sell to us at way to flesh the game out. Most games are sold as complete experiences, The Sims sells not complete and it's up to people to complete it.

I have no problems with long waiting times for games because usually they are worth it. (Sims 4 excluded) I do agree the sims 4 doesn't feel complete but at the current rate they are going the game will never feel complete. What does complete mean anyway? I've seen people say once they get seasons they will be happy and that's all they want, I've seen people want seasons, uni and all kinds of supernaturals before they consider it so. If a sims 5 is announced tomorrow I wouldn't be broken hearted or furious, my initial reaction would be mild curiosity and given the direction of the sims of late it would probably quickly followed by a "meh" EA will decide when to end the sims 4 and I expect there will be a lot of unhappy people when it does.
  • Options
    vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes
    I can't imagine it being the end of the franchise, but I can see it taking a different path. It will still exist just not as we know (and love) it now. When they began making TS4 they were planning on it becoming an online platform. I think they may start focusing on an online/mobile experience because - micro transactions.

I can also see the EA play announcement being: "We are bringing The Sims 4 to VR." - I do not think this will be an EP announcement.

I don't know though. *Apparently* they made TS4 lower resource hogging to include more players and casual gamers with lower end PC's (I believe differently.) If what they said is true and they decide to take on another platform, such as VR or mobile, they will be excluding a good majority of us. A mobile game pales in comparison to a PC or even a console game. And I do not know anyone who owns a VR system let alone anyone who can afford one :|

Either way there's going to be a lot of unhappy people. And I agree with MidnightAura, I can't imagine this game is ever going to be complete due to the amount of drip feeding going on.
    Post edited by vikixc on
    2UFyFUV.png

• Options
    TutanoTutano Posts: 61 Member
    No
    The latest fiscal year report says 80 million players. It's 30 million more than Battlefield and 10 million less than EA's sports games. That's a big number. Then no. The PC version will not end anytime soon. I can not see mobile games like games that are a success without the success of the PC.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Yes

That's very vague. Also past tense! I mean that could be across the sims 2, 3 and 4 and mobile. All need Origin now to play.

No it is not through Origin, as there are many games through Origin that are not in the live service - Andrew Wilson said specifically through Live service, and live service is the system that gives the games connected to it all the monthly free content and patch fixes. Sims 2 and 3 do not get the live service - so they are not in the count. As far as I know just Sims 4 and Sims mobile for sure are part of live service - not sure about the console version or Freeplay as they were not mentioned in relation to the live service one way or the other, but I do know the console gets regular patches and fixes too so I assume they may be part of the service.,.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    No

No it is not through Origin, as there are many games through Origin that are not in the live service - Andrew Wilson said specifically through Live service, and live service is the system that gives the games connected to it all the monthly free content and patch fixes. Sims 2 and 3 do not get the live service - so they are not in the count. As far as I know just Sims 4 and Sims mobile for sure are part of live service - not sure about the console version or Freeplay as they were not mentioned in relation to the live service one way or the other.
    This isn’t about live service but about the end of EA’s fiscal year 2018 as you can see on https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180508006640/en/Electronic-Arts-Reports-Q4-FY18-Full-Year which further down says:
    Selected Operating Highlights and Metrics

Digital net bookings* was $3.538 billion for fiscal 2018, up 17% year-over-year and represents 68% of total net bookings.
    The EA SPORTS™ franchises grew to nearly 90 million players on current generation consoles life to date.
    Nearly 18 million players engaged in competitive gaming across FIFA 18 and Madden NFL 18, up more than 75% year-over-year.
    The Battlefield™ community, across current generation consoles and PC HD, now has more than 54 million players life to date.
    The Sims™ community had more than 80 million Sims players across PC and mobile in fiscal 2018.

But it isn’t about Origin either because the mobile Sims games aren’t in Origin but in the app stores instead. EA knows when the simmers log on though and also from where because otherwise EA couldn’t show me adds in Danish from small Danish companies in those games like EA does.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited May 2018
    No

I'm sure counting sims 3 and 2 its way more
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Yes

Exactly as they are not connected to the live service like Sims mobile and Sims 4 is. Live service is where they get the count. It does not matter where you buy the games from as I first thought - whether it is from Origin or an app store or what - but it does matter in the programming of the games that the live service is activated in. It is probably much like a gps system program and why as Andrew Wilson said it does not matter what device you use - the live service works on any of the games that has it. Just like gps it can tell if you are on the move or sitting still.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Yes

No it is not through Origin, as there are many games through Origin that are not in the live service - Andrew Wilson said specifically through Live service, and live service is the system that gives the games connected to it all the monthly free content and patch fixes. Sims 2 and 3 do not get the live service - so they are not in the count. As far as I know just Sims 4 and Sims mobile for sure are part of live service - not sure about the console version or Freeplay as they were not mentioned in relation to the live service one way or the other.
    This isn’t about live service but about the end of EA’s fiscal year 2018 as you can see on https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180508006640/en/Electronic-Arts-Reports-Q4-FY18-Full-Year which further down says:
    Selected Operating Highlights and Metrics

Digital net bookings* was $3.538 billion for fiscal 2018, up 17% year-over-year and represents 68% of total net bookings.
    The EA SPORTS™ franchises grew to nearly 90 million players on current generation consoles life to date.
    Nearly 18 million players engaged in competitive gaming across FIFA 18 and Madden NFL 18, up more than 75% year-over-year.
    The Battlefield™ community, across current generation consoles and PC HD, now has more than 54 million players life to date.
    The Sims™ community had more than 80 million Sims players across PC and mobile in fiscal 2018.

But it isn’t about Origin either because the mobile Sims games aren’t in Origin but in the app stores instead. EA knows when the simmers log on though and also from where because otherwise EA couldn’t show me adds in Danish from small Danish companies in those games like EA does.

Exactly. In the quote I was referring to, the ceo was not talking about the live service it was talking about the number of players. I do not and will never believe the sims 4 alone has eighty million players.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Yes

79 million of players are probably those who regret purchasing the game and no longer playing it, while the rest didn't. No way that can mean 80 active players of the consumer base, because that would be all over the news. Also, the sales doesn't really equate to the quality success. Corperation success? Yes. Game success? No, because it's pretty obvioous and undenyable that the game was the biggest controversy in the series up to now since 2014. Staff is getting smaller and smaller every minute, so what does that say of the future is there to be hold for PC gaming of the franchise or ts4?
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    No

79 million of players are probably those who regret purchasing the game and no longer playing it, while the rest didn't. No way that can mean 80 active players of the consumer base, because that would be all over the news. Also, the sales doesn't really equate to the quality success. Corperation success? Yes. Game success? No, because it's pretty obvioous and undenyable that the game was the biggest controversy in the series up to now since 2014. Staff is getting smaller and smaller every minute, so what does that say of the future is there to be hold for PC gaming of the franchise or ts4?
    You are underestimating people’s curiosity when EA releases a free game like the Sims Mobile. The Sims Freeplay had already been downloaded more than 200 million times years ago and those downloads obviously aren’t counted anymore in the only 80 million. But the Sims Mobile was released as late as March 7 only 3 weeks before the 80 million Sims players were counted. So most of the people who downloaded the Sims Mobile were likely still seen as active even if they stopped playing the game again already after one or two weeks. That is the problem when the mobile simmers are included in this statistics.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Yes

You are underestimating people’s curiosity when EA releases a free game like the Sims Mobile. The Sims Freeplay had already been downloaded more than 200 million times years ago and those downloads obviously aren’t counted anymore in the only 80 million. But the Sims Mobile was released as late as March 7 only 3 weeks before the 80 million Sims players were counted. So most of the people who downloaded the Sims Mobile were likely still seen as active even if they stopped playing the game again already after one or two weeks. That is the problem when the mobile simmers are included in this statistics.

Oh crap. Don't know why mobile gloss over my mind.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    Yes
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I on the other hand would be really put off if I’d have to wait for like ten years for a game to get finally ‘finished’, especially when it’s a game I don’t care about. And I don’t believe I’m alone there. What does Sims 4 still need to finish in your opinion?

I could see a version of the Sims lasting for a good number years letting the devs continue adding content to it for a long time and still being popular into the 6th, 7th, even 10th year. Sims 4 is not that game. No matter how much "stuff" they add the game will never be "finished" since the core of the game and the foundations they are trying to build upon are so weak.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Yes

Sims 4 has only 5 million copies sold, there is no way it is the majority of that number!
    The sims 1 has 11 mil copies
    the sims 2 has 6 mil copies
    The sims 3 has 7 mil copies

So all together, counting every version, PC has/had about 29 million potential players.
    That 80 million number is counting something else to get so high.

Source
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games
    Also the comment from some guru somewhere that sims four reached 5 million. Most people here know what I'm talking about and I don't know where to find it so yeah.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,251 Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes
    I didn't see 80 million of TS4 players online, not even 200,000 players.
    Actually there are 35,000 players online (0.043% of 80 million).

The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection was recently updated, so there is still a live service.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    edited May 2018
    No
    BeJaWa wrote: »

Sims 4 has only 5 million copies sold, there is no way it is the majority of that number!
    The sims 1 has 11 mil copies
    the sims 2 has 6 mil copies
    The sims 3 has 7 mil copies

So all together, counting every version, PC has/had about 29 million potential players.
    That 80 million number is counting something else to get so high.

Source
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games
    Also the comment from some guru somewhere that sims four reached 5 million. Most people here know what I'm talking about and I don't know where to find it so yeah.

The Sims 4 has been confirmed as having over 5 million copies sold. That was a couple of years ago. We don't know how many more copies above that 5 million it has sold since then. (Especially when things like Toddlers and pets are now available.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Yes
    I didn't see 80 million of TS4 players online, not even 200,000 players.
    Actually there are 35,000 players online (0.043% of 80 million).

The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection was recently updated, so there is still a live service.

No that was an Origin update - not part of live service. They also updated Sims 3 either right before or right after that and several other older games I have. No one of them were the live service. That is a whole other thing than regular updates and maintenance. Once in live service you stay in live service. Everytime EA updates their system and the Origin system so all the games keep working they get updated. It is pure maintenance - otherwise you would not be able to keep playing the games.

Just like when you get an Origin update - that is not live service - it's an Origin update or maintenance. Our monthly patches and fixes is the live service -

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    No
    No matter how long sims 4 will be around sims 5 or w.e its called will come. Pc dominates when it comes to gaming and the sims is in the top tier of best selling video game franchises. Saying there will be no more sims will be like saying Sony will not make another "MLB the show" game.
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    No

During EA Earnings Call, Andrew Wilson (EA CEO) confirmed that a “great deal of more content” is coming to The Sims 4 on PC this year. With EA Play just a month away, it is expected that the next Sims 4 PC game will be announced then.

When Sims PC end, so will EA........................................................................? ;)
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top