Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,759 Member
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    New question: How did you pic your characters' names?

I'm not exactly sure where I got my Gen 2s children names from.. for all I know Molly could have come from "The Big Comfy Couch" TV show. Derek might or might not have been taken from a cousin who is SUPER Older then me. Gen 3's heiress and her twin were named after characters in The Selection Series by Kiera Cass. Elizabeth might have taken from a cousin or taken from either two queens of England (the present and a past one) well her twin Cora's name came from ONCE TV show. Juliet's name is obviously taken from the R&J play. Selene was taken from the Lunar Chronicles book series-where a a half-cyborg girl is nicknamed Cinder. Jane's 3 names come and one of her twin's come from the 39 Clues. HAM's other two names (Hannah-comes from 2 places ancestor Hannah but also from 13 Reasons Why) Margo comes from John Green's Paper Towns.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Hi all, here's an update for Friends of Foes. In this chapter, Alex and Lauren are 'trying' to negotiate, but neither will accept the other's terms. Will this mean war?
    chapter-eight-i-won-t-tell-a-soul-orig-copy-2_orig.jpg
  • Options
    IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member
    Hi all, here's an update for Friends of Foes. In this chapter, Alex and Lauren are 'trying' to negotiate, but neither will accept the other's terms. Will this mean war?
    chapter-eight-i-won-t-tell-a-soul-orig-copy-2_orig.jpg

@simscognito Haha, yeah they sure do 'try' don't they. :D
  • Options
    @IchigoUsagi :D All for 'world peace' certainly. :D
    MadameLee wrote: »

I'm not exactly sure where I got my Gen 2s children names from.. for all I know Molly could have come from "The Big Comfy Couch" TV show. Derek might or might not have been taken from a cousin who is SUPER Older then me. Gen 3's heiress and her twin were named after characters in The Selection Series by Kiera Cass. Elizabeth might have taken from a cousin or taken from either two queens of England (the present and a past one) well her twin Cora's name came from ONCE TV show. Juliet's name is obviously taken from the R&J play. Selene was taken from the Lunar Chronicles book series-where a a half-cyborg girl is nicknamed Cinder. Jane's 3 names come and one of her twin's come from the 39 Clues. HAM's other two names (Hannah-comes from 2 places ancestor Hannah but also from 13 Reasons Why) Margo comes from John Green's Paper Towns.
    @MadameLee I love how all your names have ties to pop-culture and for particlular reasons. For example, the significance of naming your sim Hannah from 13 Reasons Why is because your story echoes parts of it too.
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited January 2018
    @Bugsie2016 Kassiopeia was my avi's name in Star Wars The Old Republic. Then I went with space idea names for Carina (nebula) and Andromeda (galaxy). Amy/Amalia because she looked like an Amy I knew. Howard was always the name I'd pick for dads in stories I wrote growing up. Otherwise, all the other characters are premades mostly (i.e. Gage, Ayesha, Billy, Davis, Bella, the Goths, Kate, the Bachelors, Emit, etc.). Gage got his own spinoff series. Colt Family Traitacy (all Rackets are modified premades... I picked Rachel because all the Rachels I know are ambitious... And Hope was fitting for her daughter in context).

DMD characters got Roman Empire/Greek mythological-esque names. Cora is another name with a similar meaning to Persephone and her story has a Hades/Persephone-esque feel. Some of those characters are modified premades by Quailhogs. Brendon is a premade by Rflong7 in I&S and KFLL.

I try to incorporate premades as often as possible. It stretches me as a writer and allows me to incorporate the game more. Plus I like to give the premades backstories, and develop their personalities and motivations.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member

For We Belong to the Song:

Wendy was named after Wendy O Williams (a punk singer), because Wendy is a punk.
    I can't really explain why Kanto has the name that he does without giving away a lot of the story.

For The Keen Legacy:

Keen (the surname) means brave/king - which I figured was appropriate for a legacy family name.
    Kingston literally means "King's town" or "King's field" which, considering he started on a vacant lot, fit - as he'd be king of the legacy.

The four children - Lily, Rose, Snapdragon, and Daisy - were named after flowers in Kingston's garden (his aspiration was the gardening one). Lily's oldest child's name was randomly generated, but her second child (yet to be introduced, but eventually!) was named after his grandfather. Daisy's daughter (mentioned!) was a play on the sci-fi space theme going on, and so was named after Mae Jemison.

When Snapdragon has kids, they'll be named after alcoholic drinks because his aspiration is master mixologist (so think names like Crystal, Stella, Brandy, or Sherry if he has any girls, and Jameson, Jack, Arnold, or Bailey if he has any boys). Of course, there are a lot more names that I could use for baby names (seriously, look at any number of cocktails), so...

If Rose has kids, they'll be named after socialites/famous partiers because her aspiration is Party Animal (so names like Paris, Lulu, or Mame for girls and Oscar, Jay, or Rob for boys). As with Snapdragon, lots of famous/infamous socialites that exist in real life and in pop culture/literature, so a ton of options.

Good question! I personally, use a website called behindthename to pick mine. It has a really detailed search feature that lets you search by meanings and also keywords mentioned in a name's description. Most of the time I pick names based on the meanings that are listed there (they could be wildly inaccurate for all I know, but I choose to trust them). For example Acacia's name is said to be derived from a greek word meaning 'thorn' or 'point' which fit the rose/vampire theme I was going with when naming the Desrosiers (which means 'from the rose bushes'). Her mother's (I haven't had a chance to mention this yet in TIOL but her name is Lilith) name means 'of the night'. There are times, however when I just pick names based on how they sound. Vincent's name doesn't hold much relevant meaning, but I thought it sounded kind of distinguished :D .

I love that website! Use it all the time.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • Options
    @Bugsie2016 Here's me attempting to answer the question. XD Truth be told, I didn't actually pic very many of my characters' names, as most of the characters (actually pretty much all of them) were born in the game when I wasn't playing them. The only name I did give to a character was Alex's cousin, Alfred. The game named him Judd, and I didn't think it sounded very 'prince' like, so I renamed him.
  • Options
    superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    New update for my legacy! (Super short chapter today)
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    @IchigoUsagi :D All for 'world peace' certainly. :D

@MadameLee I love how all your names have ties to pop-culture and for particlular reasons. For example, the significance of naming your sim Hannah from 13 Reasons Why is because your story echoes parts of it too.

@simscognito darn I forgot to mention a character who even though she's a year older (sort of from Selene) was very motherly to Selene during the entire "Cinderella" experience. Let's just say her names come from The Little Princess and Peter Pan (even though the full title of that story is called Peter Pan and (female name). ) She's a descendant of "Aunt Emma" Grant.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    @superkyle221 I was so looking forward to your reply re: names because your naming schemes feel so thought out but also very natural! Your names for Rose's kids is so creative!!

You reminded me of a few more significant names!

Daisy Grace is, of course, named for your Daisy Keen. She put on a yellow dress the other day and I was all "no! no please you'll make me cry!"

My alien toddler Blossom is also going to have a very story significant name by the time she's a teenager. Magnolia's name is significant in the fact that it's meant to not be. It's a hat tip to Amy Tan's "Rules of the game" and the common immigrant practice of carelessly choosing an English name (Magnolia was named after Magnolia Promenade because it's the only English words her mother knew).
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I'm was going through Matt's tumblir page and 5 years ago someone blogged him a post which had a "Fan-made movie trailer" of a live-action movie of TMSB (The Magic School Bus) (in other word's its not happening for real). Anyone want a link to the parody-trailer if they're familiar with the 90s' TMSB?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Jes2G wrote: »
    CathyTea wrote: »
    January 26 is @Jes2G 's birthday! So, my SimSelf invited her over... and Asparagus Tea (that's the cat) fell in love...

jes.png

Bonus... because cats...

jes2.png

Ha ha! That face! Thank you Cathy...and Asparagus. :D

I know! Perfect, right? It's like you're saying, "OK... there's a cat on the table, and she's singing hearts to me... All righty then!"
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited January 2018
    I'm was going through Matt's tumblir page and 5 years ago someone blogged him a post which had a "Fan-made movie trailer" of a live-action movie of TMSB (The Magic School Bus) (in other word's its not happening for real). Anyone want a link to the parody-trailer if they're familiar with the 90s' TMSB?

I liked the Magic School Bus when I was a kid, @MadameLee. I think it'd be fun to recreate Ms. Frizzle in the Sims.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options

I liked the Magic School Bus when I was a kid, @MadameLee. I think it'd be fun to recreate Ms. Frizzle in the Sims.

Oh I definitely back that up! :smiley:
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    @AdamsEve1231 @simscognito so does that imply you want to see the hilarious trailer for a (fake) live-action movie about TMSB?

(its in the spoiler tag)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

I use a baby book I bought when I first got pregnant or I have a list on my phone of names I've come across over the last few years that I liked. Sometimes I do a search online, too, if nothing seems to fit right.

but you don't have a baby. i'm teasing i rember wanting to do that and of course mom said no .

Get a baby book? I'm thankful they aren't babies anymore. <3:D

i was 2 minutes from adulting so i only read part of your post. i was going to come back and edit but you turned it in to a joke so now i don't feel guilty like this morning.
  • Options
    @AdamsEve1231 @simscognito so does that imply you want to see the hilarious trailer for a (fake) live-action movie about TMSB?

(its in the spoiler tag)

Oh wow that was an awesome trailer @MadameLee . Made me kinda sad and hopeful actually. Was really moving.
  • Options
    New question: How did you pic your characters' names?[/quote]
    its alphabacy. well since alana went rebel on me. what else is new,lol. its a rotational alpabacy. i get the names from the randomnizer which can be a long process depending on what letter i'm on.
  • Options
    purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member

Because my story is a neighborhood rotation, I have a different naming theme for every lot. (It actually helps keep track of who’s related to who now that there are cousins scattered all over.) Of
    course, it also means that most of my Sims have...let’s say unusual names.

Sometimes the naming theme plays off something about the family; my “flowers and plants” house was started by someone with the gardening aspiration and their lot quickly became an orchard. Their daughter Daisy also ended up marrying a Sim named Lucas, so their house’s theme became “Star Wars Behind the Scenes”; so far they have twin boys Mark and Harrison and a daughter named Carrie.

Most of the themes are random, though. I usually try and pick ones that I know will give me at least a few generations’ worth of both boy and girl names.

TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2018

(its in the spoiler tag)

Oh wow that was an awesome trailer @MadameLee . Made me kinda sad and hopeful actually. Was really moving.

@simscognito the only things missing I think was Arnold's sort of identical-looking (Female) cousin Janet-who if I remember correctly always tries to ruin everything and is always proven wrong. (But then it been some years-since I watched any of the TMSB episodes). And also the sort-of boyfriend of Miss Frizzle who was a teacher at Phoebe's old school. (Phoebe from TMSB and Daphne from Scooby Doo are the 2 names I have difficultly pronouncing out loud must be the Ph sound)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

I use a baby book I bought when I first got pregnant or I have a list on my phone of names I've come across over the last few years that I liked. Sometimes I do a search online, too, if nothing seems to fit right.

but you don't have a baby. i'm teasing i rember wanting to do that and of course mom said no .

Get a baby book? I'm thankful they aren't babies anymore. <3:D

yes i saw a nice big one in a book store. sorry i just realized that was a question.

i mamged to get the last 2 maxwell houae target had. so i'm drinking starbucks to celebrate.
  • Options

(its in the spoiler tag)

the only thing missing I think was Arnold's sort of identical-looking (Female) cousin Janet-who if I remember correctly always tries to ruin everything and is always proven wrong. (But then it been some years-since I watched any of the TMSB episodes). And also the sort-of boyfriend of Miss Frizzle who was a teacher at Phoebe's old school. (Phoebe from TMSB and Daphne from Scooby Doo are the 2 names I have difficultly pronouncing out loud must be the Ph sound)

is your mom doing any better today? i know shes still healing.
  • Options

(its in the spoiler tag)

the only thing missing I think was Arnold's sort of identical-looking (Female) cousin Janet-who if I remember correctly always tries to ruin everything and is always proven wrong. (But then it been some years-since I watched any of the TMSB episodes). And also the sort-of boyfriend of Miss Frizzle who was a teacher at Phoebe's old school. (Phoebe from TMSB and Daphne from Scooby Doo are the 2 names I have difficultly pronouncing out loud must be the Ph sound)

@friendsfan367 yes she's feeling much better today
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

(its in the spoiler tag)

@friendsfan367 yes she's feeling much better today

thats great. i used to be in the hospital a lot when i was growing up for differnt surgeries elated to my epilepsy. not fun.
  • Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top