Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• elifdapetonelifdapeton Posts: 217 Member
    edited January 2018
    Just realized about the double posting
    peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
    | Legacy Challenge Story. 18+
    Hi all! I've got another question (because apparently I'm full of those) to ask. What's your favorite genre to read, and does you writing mostly fall under that genre?

I love both drama and comedy and I think there's definitely that in my story, at least I tried to be funny. However, I also like mystery, fantasy, and Sci-Fi but it probably needs a lot more work than what I've been working on.
    Good [Insert time of day you're currently experiencing here] everybody! I was writing a future chapter for TIOL that got me thinking about antagonists, so of course that got me wondering about how other people go about writing them. Does your story have an antagonist? More than one? Do you write them as pure evil? Do they have a good side/good sides? Or is/are your main character(s) more of the bad guy(s)?

I don't think my story had antagonists, and if there's going to be it's probably going to be pure evil :naughty:. I mean, most of the best stories are the one with 99% evil with 1% deep thoughtful backstory whether it's a slight goodness or maybe just some cruel reason why they're evil.

peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    yeah boo. yeah because i recovered my akira save boo because i didn't get it recovered in time to start frrom that point. oh well . i discovered that if i deleted the sve i just used for uploading my old save returned.
    yeah boo. yeah because i recovered my akira save boo because i didn't get it recovered in time to start frrom that point. oh well . i discovered that if i deleted the sve i just used for uploading my old save returned.

I think there's a recovery button in the save menu so I don't think you have to remove any save
    peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy

I think there's a recovery button in the save menu so I don't think you have to remove any save

i only removed the ones that overwrote.
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    January 26 is @Jes2G 's birthday! So, my SimSelf invited her over... and Asparagus Tea (that's the cat) fell in love...

jes.png

Bonus... because cats...

jes2.png

Ha ha! That face! Thank you Cathy...and Asparagus. :D
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
    Aww that's a gorgeous pic @CathyTea ! <3
    Happy birthday @Jes2G ! Love your stories. You have a great sense of humour and I love how you always post updates, when it's morning where I live, which gets me up and ready to start the day. :)

Thank you! And, I'm glad my craziness can brighten your day LOL.
    forum_final.png

Thank you @friendsfan367 @Karilan @chalicen @Bugsie2016 for the birthday wishes!
    forum_final.png

• Simslover163Simslover163 Posts: 2,833 Member
    Happy Birthday @Jes2G!!! Hope you have a lovely one!
    sEgXZ52.jpg
    Sims 3 Blog | Tales from Veronica L. Hopkins High | Camellia Treasures (Coming Soon)
  • Simslover163Simslover163 Posts: 2,833 Member
    In today's part of my Vet and Home Challenge, Maple meets some stray cats
    Day 4
    qU3qLJB.jpg
    sEgXZ52.jpg
    Sims 3 Blog | Tales from Veronica L. Hopkins High | Camellia Treasures (Coming Soon)
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Happy birthday, @Jes2G. Hope you have a great day!
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    Hi! How's everyone on this lovely Friday? I'm tired but not too bad. My daughter is turning 11 tomorrow, so her party is tonight with a friend staying overnight.

I've not written much lately in regards to my stories. I'm sure others totally understand but I go through spurts where it is interesting to me for days and I just can't stop. Then, overnight it seems, I'm bored of it or maybe need a break. lol

So, I've been playing a family recently. I don't want to bore anyone, so I put it in spoilers. Feel free to look and comment, if you want.
    I started with Devery Updegrove.

24682899617_c636985201_h.jpg

She met Sai Joyson who was the animal adoption agent. She adopted two puppies and a kitten from him.

24682897947_d5dd56194f_h.jpg

And yes, except for the kitten (which I forgot to rename later), I went with a Harry Potter theme.

Muggles (female)

38841161694_dc3355f979_h.jpg

Hagrid (male)

39520610272_51c50e7908_h.jpg

Rascal (female)

39062789474_eb8d7102ff_h.jpg

Then, Sai and Dev got along so well, they married and had a baby girl named Adora.

39046245964_c21bdb8fbf_h.jpg

39755639501_e09e46a52b_h.jpg

They got pregnant again and had a baby girl named Bethany.

38901806905_9aa3e6277c_h.jpg

They had a baby boy named Carlton, but I don't have a real good pic right now. Then, I used MCCC to increase my household size. Big mistake...lol.

They got pregnant again. I had changed the settings to have multiple births be 50% chance identical. I hadn't thought that would have increased the risk of multiple births but maybe it did because they had triplets. :o Meet Darcy, Emery, and Fidelity. It'll be interesting if they are identical or not.

39868154601_81d1dae60b_h.jpg

I had tried several times for Rascal to get pregnant, but it never worked out. I also tried with Hagrid and Muggles, which took awhile to work as well. That's part of the reason I increased the household size. I think that could have been preventing the possibilities of kittens or puppies.

There's nothing like mating when the baby's asleep. ;) I did get a notification that Muggles was pregnant. Yay!

39090861544_20d084c071_h.jpg

Devery took care of three poo diapers plus Carlton's...

39870150702_89e460547a_h.jpg

...when I received a notification that Muggles' was in labor. She had the most adorable puppies.

From left to right. Skeeter (female), Patronus (male), and Snape (male)

I'm loving the coats of the two. <3

39870118502_1d433218c2_h.jpg

I saved after the pups were born. Unfortunately, when I went back to the house, I found Devery and the triplets were gone. I can go back to a previous save, but if the puppies don't look the same when they are born, then I'll go to the newest save, upload the animals, and add them to the old save, deleting the old animals. Whatever it takes. lol I'll also increase the house size to ensure all will stay. I'm not sure what happened as it was set at 14 already but I'll increase it to 18 if it'll fix it.
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
    edited January 2018
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    @Jes2G Happy birthday!!!
  • IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member
    I'm a little late to the party, but happy birthday @Jes2G ! I hope you have a good one. :)
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited January 2018
    All this talk about romance and relationships is making me think... I'm not sure I write normal romance and relationships. Haha. @Bugsie2016 In terms of why people break up, everyone has already given good reasons. I know in my past I had relationships end because I felt I was taken for granted and didn't feel appreciated, because I felt pressured to do things I didn't want to do, because there was a lack of chemistry and affection to the extreme in one relationship, because we didn't have similar goals for the relationship or ideals and values that were compatible, indecisiveness, and finally because of family interference.

Kass deals with some of this in her stories as does Gage, especially for Gage in FRWL. Almost no relationship in the Colt Family Traitacy or Darkness May Dream is normal in the traditional sense, and definitely in DMD, this is for cultural reasons, although
    Sinbad and Lolly in CFT
    are probably the closest to a healthy relationship. And Nonna and Nonno have a strong marriage in Kass's stories.

Personally, I believe facing adversity together can make or break a relationship. With my spouse, it helped us tremendously. It allowed us to grow together, to see each other in different circumstances and how we responded to various things, and to understand and see each other's values in action. That's probably why I throw all my characters into hearty conflict. Haha.

That kind of brings me to my favorite genres and writing styles. @IchigoUsagi My favorite genre to read/write/watch is mystery and suspense. It stems from my childhood days when I read books like Boxcar Children, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and Agatha Christie. However, there isn't a lot of true mystery out there in SimLit... that I've found so if anyone has suggestions, let me know. :)

My writing style is probably across of slice-of-life and drama with aspects of Adventure, suspense, Supernatural, sci-fi, fantasy, and romance. Sci-fi, fantasy, and speculative fiction are close seconds, thirds, and fourths. I'm a big fan of fairy tales too. I saw this sweet Alice in Wonderland chess set the other day and it made my heart happy, even though I don't exactly need a chess set. I digress. :)

As far as your second question, @IchigoUsagi, regarding antagonists, I kind of operate under the philosophy that anybody could be an antagonist. Any one character could have moments where they slip into villainous actions or negative, harmful traits. Yet I also believe the flipside that everyone has some positive traits in them, some compassionate detail, a possibility to be redeemed. I don't particularly like one dimensional villains we're two dimensional villains. There is always a reason for why someone is the way they are; there is always a reason for a person turning to evil actions. Maybe you don't agree with those actions, maybe you despise the person, or maybe the person seems so despicable that you struggle to sympathize at all - but there's always a reason and I like to write explanations for characters, so that a a reader can maybe understand a personality, decisions and actions.

At least I hope I do this. I do have characters that I haven't explained as well, like Max Racket in CFT, or Mal or Per in DMD. I am a fan of the big reveal, surprises and secrets about a person's identity revealed later in the plot and used earlier on as a plot device. It's fun to be surprised in my opinion about a person. Where you think a person is one way when they might actually be another.

Mal is not the protagonist in DMD, but he is featured prominently and has a good side to him even if he doesn't always appear to be good. In a way he's a victim of his own society and culture, but that doesn't excuse his behavior or choices. Mal wouldn't think of himself as a victim. This is simply their way of life. It's the way they do things. It's how it's always been. However I purposely went with a culture that was very different than my own in order to stretch myself as a writer, and to explore darker aspects of characters. So long story short, I write protagonists that have negative or unlikeable traits, and I write antagonist that have positive or likeable traits, or at least some explanation or justification for why they're doing what they're doing even if it's not right, or hurtful, or outright evil.

Great questions, Writer Lounge peeps!
    Post edited by AdamsEve1231 on
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    edited January 2018
    New question: How did you pic your characters' names?

Claude was randomly generated. So was most of my characters. Leo I thought up on the spot. :) Riley is the only one that I really had a genuine reason for picking that name. Riley is the name of the protagonist from my favourite pixar movie. I've seen UP and didn't cry but watched IO and cried a little. Hence it's my favourite!!
    edited January 2018
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »

I use a baby book I bought when I first got pregnant or I have a list on my phone of names I've come across over the last few years that I liked. Sometimes I do a search online, too, if nothing seems to fit right.
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    @lovesstorms Your sim is so pretty! And that shot of Adora sleeping on the couch is just ... Adora-ble! :love:

My Grace legacy, as you know, is an alphabetacy. There tends to be favorite names in that one, and sometimes suggestions from fans!
    For the most part I look through baby name sites until I find a name that sounds good with the last name or has an interesting meaning.

The most meaningful name I have right now is Isaiah Briar. The last time I wrote a legacy story was over 5 years ago, and all I can remember is that I was on generation 3 and Isaiah Burke had just been chosen as heir. I was really attached to that sim but can't find the traces back to that legacy, so I named Isaiah in honor of the lost legacy.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison

I use a baby book I bought when I first got pregnant or I have a list on my phone of names I've come across over the last few years that I liked. Sometimes I do a search online, too, if nothing seems to fit right.

but you don't have a baby. i'm teasing i rember wanting to do that and of course mom said no .

but you don't have a baby. i'm teasing i rember wanting to do that and of course mom said no .

Get a baby book? I'm thankful they aren't babies anymore. <3:D
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member

Good question! I personally, use a website called behindthename to pick mine. It has a really detailed search feature that lets you search by meanings and also keywords mentioned in a name's description. Most of the time I pick names based on the meanings that are listed there (they could be wildly inaccurate for all I know, but I choose to trust them). For example Acacia's name is said to be derived from a greek word meaning 'thorn' or 'point' which fit the rose/vampire theme I was going with when naming the Desrosiers (which means 'from the rose bushes'). Her mother's (I haven't had a chance to mention this yet in TIOL but her name is Lilith) name means 'of the night'. There are times, however when I just pick names based on how they sound. Vincent's name doesn't hold much relevant meaning, but I thought it sounded kind of distinguished :D .

ignore the one part of my post tou'll figure it out. i leave in 2 minutes no time to edit will do when i get back.
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member

I think I randomed until I got the first a name to show up for Antwan. And for all the kids o took suggestions and put them in a random lost generator and rolled a number to see which would become the newboo.

ignore the one part of my post tou'll figure it out. i leave in 2 minutes no time to edit will do when i get back.

Oh! You mean get pregnant? lol :D
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file