Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    edited January 2018
    Karilan wrote: »
    @superkyle221 I was so looking forward to your reply re: names because your naming schemes feel so thought out but also very natural! Your names for Rose's kids is so creative!!

You reminded me of a few more significant names!

Daisy Grace is, of course, named for your Daisy Keen. She put on a yellow dress the other day and I was all "no! no please you'll make me cry!"

My alien toddler Blossom is also going to have a very story significant name by the time she's a teenager. Magnolia's name is significant in the fact that it's meant to not be. It's a hat tip to Amy Tan's "Rules of the game" and the common immigrant practice of carelessly choosing an English name (Magnolia was named after Magnolia Promenade because it's the only English words her mother knew).

Daisy! Yay!

@Karilan

In terms of Magnolia - when I was in college, I would tutor exchange students, most of whom were from Asian countries and who took on English names. One of them chose Tiger because of Tiger Woods, hahaha.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Jes2G wrote: »

jes is man. what ? did you think i would stop teasing just because your a year older today.
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member

jes is man. what ? did you think i would stop teasing just because your a year older today.

You're in time out
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    I'm confusing cog ( @simscognito ) because I said I'm aromantic but yet I'm having fun writing a chapter full of flirting. Yes, that's a possibility. I just don't want to be the one doing the flirting. I can write it perfectly fine in my opinion. :lol:

Another question, kinda the reverse of my previous question:
    How do 2 characters decide to start dating? Again, not a clue how this works.
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    I'm confusing cog ( @simscognito ) because I said I'm aromantic but yet I'm having fun writing a chapter full of flirting. Yes, that's a possibility. I just don't want to be the one doing the flirting. I can write it perfectly fine in my opinion. :lol:

That is a strangely complicated question for me! I'll give you my thoughts but I'm interested to see everyone else's opinions.

As someone who's been with their high school sweet heart for nearly 15 years, I honestly don't understand dating these days. Jason and I hung out at school and after school for 6 months getting to know each other as friends before we made it official. We both had butterfly-like feelings for each other the entire time but were too chicken to act on it for a while.

My impression of dating is that you just ask someone out on a date, and see if you both like each other after an extended period of time together. :p In my opinion if you go on a second date then you're a couple. Some people are a lot more practical about it and talk about the boundaries of their relationship before acknowledging each other as boyfriend/girlfriend. Some define whether they are just going on dates or exclusively dating each other and no one else.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
    Karilan wrote: »

That is a strangely complicated question for me! I'll give you my thoughts but I'm interested to see everyone else's opinions.

As someone who's been with their high school sweet heart for nearly 15 years, I honestly don't understand dating these days. Jason and I hung out at school and after school for 6 months getting to know each other as friends before we made it official. We both had butterfly-like feelings for each other the entire time but were too chicken to act on it for a while.

My impression of dating is that you just ask someone out on a date, and see if you both like each other after an extended period of time together. :p In my opinion if you go on a second date then you're a couple. Some people are a lot more practical about it and talk about the boundaries of their relationship before acknowledging each other as boyfriend/girlfriend. Some define whether they are just going on dates or exclusively dating each other and no one else.

Thanks! My question was going to be, Can someone explain flirting but I think I'm okay on that one, well so far. Might need a little help later. :) (Dating is a like secondary language for me...)

You're in time out

hey you set up the joke so if anyone should be in time out its you. :p
    New question: How did you pic your characters' names?

I use a baby book I bought when I first got pregnant or I have a list on my phone of names I've come across over the last few years that I liked. Sometimes I do a search online, too, if nothing seems to fit right.

ignore the one part of my post tou'll figure it out. i leave in 2 minutes no time to edit will do when i get back.

Oh! You mean get pregnant? lol :D

i meant you aren't having a baby. i had like 1 minute to get out the door so i read your post to fast.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited January 2018
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @AdamsEve1231 @simscognito so does that imply you want to see the hilarious trailer for a (fake) live-action movie about TMSB?

(its in the spoiler tag)

@MadameLee @simscognito That was pretty awesome! Definitely goofy like the original, with nostalgia for the fans, and some intriguing premises. :)
    @AdamsEve1231 @simscognito so does that imply you want to see the hilarious trailer for a (fake) live-action movie about TMSB?

(its in the spoiler tag)

Oh wow that was an awesome trailer @MadameLee . Made me kinda sad and hopeful actually. Was really moving.

@simscognito the only things missing I think was Arnold's sort of identical-looking (Female) cousin Janet-who if I remember correctly always tries to ruin everything and is always proven wrong. (But then it been some years-since I watched any of the TMSB episodes). And also the sort-of boyfriend of Miss Frizzle who was a teacher at Phoebe's old school. (Phoebe from TMSB and Daphne from Scooby Doo are the 2 names I have difficultly pronouncing out loud must be the Ph sound)

Oh yeah... I remember Janet.

I do think this might be better than the live action Scooby Doo remake. I wasn't a fan of that remake, but I loved the cheesy charm of the original show.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,752 Member

(its in the spoiler tag)

@MadameLee @simscognito That was pretty awesome! Definitely goofy like the original, with nostalgia for the fans, and some intriguing premises. :)

@AdamsEve1231 I think it's missing two things like I said to @simscognito Arnold's identical-looking cousin Janet (who if I remember correctly always thought she was in the right) and maybe (since I don't know the age difference between Miss Frizzle and Phoebe's older teacher)-Phoebe's old school (male) teacher.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited January 2018
    @Bugsie2016 How do people start dating? It's different for everyone, but usually it involves an attraction to another person (and this doesn't have to be physical attraction - it can be intellectual, spiritual, emotional, etc.). Typically, a person likes another individual for their character or personality or looks (and just because you like the way someone looks doesn't make you shallow... in fact, I'd argue physical attraction is important for a relationship, though not for everyone). A person might confess their interest in another person and ask to spend time together (or out on a date for the purpose of getting to know one another).

Personally, I am a big proponent of building the friendship first and then considering dating and romance. My spouse and I knew each other for three and a half years before we dated, but we got to know one another in different settings with different people groups and enjoyed one another's company. It made the transition to dating easier because we already had a friendship base. I think friendship is pretty important to keeping a relationship alive and moving forward. It's a way of showing support and commitment to one another and reveals a lot about a person's character and values.

Ooo... I'd add getting to know one another in many different settings is a good indicator of the lasting potential of a relationship... like hanging out with one another's friends, meeting each other's families, visiting each other's religious services (if you're religious), trying out different activities/hobbies you might both enjoy or separately enjoy (and teaching one another), spending time in nature, etc.

I'm not a huge fan of TS3's or TS4's attraction system. It's clunky and weird. I'm a Sag and suddenly all Sags are interested in me?? And the whole, "I think you're hot" or something along those lines and other weird things is just awkward and makes me squeamish, especially when it's a much older and much younger Sim. I do think it's sweet when the Sims "tell each other a secret" and the secret is "I love you." That's happened with Gage a few times.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member
    @Bugsie2016 I can't really be much help with this. I guess another option to one of the characters confessing is the other character finding out about their feelings some other way. Maybe one character sleep talks and is spending the night, or a character's friend accidentally spills the beans (this happened to me when I was in elementary school). I'm sure there are more ways that this could happen, but this is all I could come up with for now.
    I've been enjoying seeing everyone else's answers to these relationship-related questions. Dating is almost entirely foreign territory for me, so I feel like I've been learning a lot. :)
    edited January 2018
    @Bugsie2016 I can't really be much help with this. I guess another option to one of the characters confessing is the other character finding out about their feelings some other way. Maybe one character sleep talks and is spending the night, or a character's friend accidentally spills the beans (this happened to me when I was in elementary school). I'm sure there are more ways that this could happen, but this is all I could come up with for now.
    I've been enjoying seeing everyone else's answers to these relationship-related questions. Dating is almost entirely foreign territory for me, so I feel like I've been learning a lot. :)

Glad I'm not the only one who does't get it. I'm picking the brains of those who do. I find a second language easier to understand. Alas, when it comes to stuff about dating: Je ne sais pas. :p

Glad I'm not the only one who does't get it. I'm picking the brains of those who do. I find a second language easier to understand. Alas, when it comes to stuff about dating: Je ne sais pas. :p

Me neither! I definitely didn't have to look that phrase up. :D
    Speaking of relationship related questions; How does everyone here tend to go about writing relationships? Any tips for how to make interactions between a couple seem believable?

I'm kind of worried that I write romance too cheesy at the moment. :sweat_smile: (Which is a bit of a problem when I have a couple in my story who need to talk to each other.)
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,752 Member
    @simscognito and @AdamsEve1231 here some interesting triva facts about some The Magic School Bus voice actors the voice actor for Arnold in the first season was an Ontario, Canadian born like I am (and apparently he has reprised the role for the continuation series "The Magic School Bus Rides Again") Carlos, the class clown who bakes really bad jokes 's voice actor apperently was the one who in Lohan's "Mean Girls" movie says the line about having Cassy's Muffin being buttered (the character's name in that is Jason). Phobebe's voice actor is also Canadian (and also from Ontario).

apperently with the exception of Arnold's replacement actor, basically all the rest of the cast except the teacher, were Ontariians, Canadians.

Apparently Wanda's original voice actor has taken the role of her character's "mother" and 'brother". in the "continuation series"
    6adMCGP.gif
  • elifdapetonelifdapeton Posts: 217 Member
    New question: How did you pick your characters' names?

I'm doing the four-letter rule and then alphabetically based on birth.

So my founder is Alex, the first child born is Bebe, the second child is Chaz, and so on. Although they sometimes have a longer name so consecutively they're Alexander, Bethany, and Charles.
    This way I don't have to go for 26 generations for it to get from A to Z.
    peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
    | Legacy Challenge Story. 18+
  • Xylorta-XVXylorta-XV Posts: 234 Member
    I’m so happy, I got so much done today and the comments on my legacy are so nice. Thank you so much for reading!

And I want to answer these SimLit questions, but I don’t want to spoil ideas I have for my stories. :sweat_smile:
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Speaking of relationship related questions; How does everyone here tend to go about writing relationships? Any tips for how to make interactions between a couple seem believable?

Poorly? Hahahaha. Writing people in a relationship is hard (which is why I mostly avoid it with Kingston and Vivian), but with other relationships, I tend to make sure it's all focused on what the characters are feeling, and let that inspire dialogue. As for couples, remember they'll have inside jokes or ways of communicating that may seem weird to the outside world, and they're there to support one another (or tear each other down if that's their dynamic). Sometimes people use shorthand? It's always best to keep the personalities in mind.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
    ; How does everyone here tend to go about writing relationships? Any tips for how to make interactions between a couple seem believable?

i tend to put the benders with people i think they'll like. . that might be a mistake. last time i had to write one tp and 5 td. oh an2 divorces
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member

I'm kind of worried that I write romance too cheesy at the moment. :sweat_smile: (Which is a bit of a problem when I have a couple in my story who need to talk to each other.)

i usually end up with them acting in ways that are on point from other relationships I actually now. including my own in some cases. Or understanding how.. idk, your best friend started dating their girlfriend and how they talk to each other. But since romance is nearly impossible to pinpoint to one thing and is never one way, I think its just however you feel the character would interact with another. ? That's how I think of making things believable. I don't really see people going "Hey i just laid eyes on you for the first time and I want to marry you this instant" it doesn't work like that. Things are super awkward at first probably. maybe a break up. than regrets, than getting back together. Or a few dates and finding out you click really well together. And there you have something believable.

Of course. the ones that are like bang i just met you marry me are the relationships that can also have a very believeable rough and terrible divorce. so still believable :D
  • elifdapetonelifdapeton Posts: 217 Member

Haha I love cheese and cheesy stuff is great haha.
    a good way to learn romance for me is using this site
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RomanceArc
    peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
    | Legacy Challenge Story. 18+
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member

I try to keep a few things in mind when developing a relationship:

1. I try to show them interacting as friends would, to remind people that it's not all about the romance.
    2. Think about reasons why there IS attraction beyond friendship and emphasize it, or else they would probably just be friends.
    3. Showing partners being supportive in difficult or awkward situations is huge. I like to think about the small chores partners tend to do for each other that really show dedication and care like: ironing a work shirt, taking a seat next to a stranger to provide a buffer for an uncomfortable spouse, having tea ready when they come home, or simply greeting them with a hug or kiss.

I am a very emotional and contact sensitive person. Holding hands, a kiss on the cheek, or a hug is a HUGE show of affection to me and I try to incorporate that in my stories where appropriate for the character.

@Bugsie2016 @simscognito Can you imagine how stressful relationship building would have been if Colby had been heir?! (Colby is a germaphobe)
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    germaphobe can be amusing though. ^^

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top