Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Holiday Cabin | A Build & Create-A-Sim Contest | [CLOSED]

Comments

• Options
    HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

Absolutely beautiful cabin @snowdove58 and what a very handsome sim .... his story brought tears to my eyes. Big rec for both of course :)
  • Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    edited December 2017
    Had an idea, since I took some shots of the house 'in work' I thought I'd do the same for my sim! Added some pics of Lina as a child hanging with the grandparents!

Afi liked bugs, too :)
    young-lina-3.jpg
  • Options
    Since, y'know, I only have two other builds to do, of course I made Lina's grandparents' turf house. Not for the contest but just thought I'd share for fun!
    Turf House Pics and Link
  • Options
    romagi1 wrote: »
    @creativemetaphor, Love the name of your cabin! <3 Great use of the beams and well done on the skylight! :)

Your sim story is so in-depth and Lina and her outfits fit right in with AS!

:open_mouth: How did I miss your comment? So sorry for not replying earlier, thank you so much! I love AS, Iceland would be my dream vacation (along with Ireland and Sweden).
    Hidehi wrote: »

@creativemetaphor absolutely awesome entry!!! Love everything about your background story, your sim and your fab cabin! :D

I missed both of these :confounded: I'm so glad that Lina was such a hit! She was so fun to create, and that cabin is somewhere I'd totally want to live!
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    I redid my cabin, have uploaded it but still need to post the pictures.

I've uploaded Alma Wilde my sim. Here is the info about her Alma Wilde pictures and story
  • Options
    @cwaddell Left you my comment in your thread, but love your sim! Looking forward to the cabin, love that pond :)
  • Options
    AriyAriyAriyAriy Posts: 322 Member
    I've been wanting to build an HGTV inspired lot, and nows my chance ^^ If tests don't get in the way I hope to enter both. The story's already bouncing around :D
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    AriyAriy wrote: »
    I've been wanting to build an HGTV inspired lot, and nows my chance ^^ If tests don't get in the way I hope to enter both. The story's already bouncing around :D

Fabulous news! Can't wait to see what you come up with!
  • Options
    Hi Guys!

I need to give you all a bit of an update. First off, I do want to apologise for not being as active on here as I should be. I do love that the chatter is still going and you are all interacting with each other. I love to see it and I am checking in and seeing what's happening, so that does make my heart happy! Keep sharing inspo pictures and talking amongst yourselves!

So what's the update? I'm dealing with a family situation back home in the States; although there's not much that I can do at the moment all the way here in the UK. I may be going home in January for a little bit, but if that were to happen, I would definitely let you all know. As it stands, I may extend the deadline for the contest, but of course, I will let you all know again.

Again, I do check in and see what's happening, just not my normal chatty self. If I do fall behind on updates, just bear with me a little bit. Thank you all for being awesome and keep talking and sharing - I love it! SIM ON, my friends, SIM ON!

<3 Ari
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I hope the situation works out okay @aricarai. Hugs and positive vibes your way!
  • Options
    @aricarai (hugs) sadly, tis the season for that, too. I hope things settle down for you soon.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Thank you @ciane and @creativemetaphor! I've been speaking to my momma and I will be going home in January at some point, I'm going to extend this, just need to figure out a proper date. Will update soon.
  • Options

Hope your family issue gets resolved satisfactorily and that you enjoy spending time with your family in January. Extend the deadline as much as you need. Although I'm about finished with the entry form, the longer time limit will encourage more entries, I hope. I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's contributions. Sometime in the future I plan to download all the cabins and install in a game, probably Hidden Springs. So the more cabins the better. :)
  • Options
    @cwaddell We should start a 'Cabins that didn't make it' drive! :lol: All the designs we abandoned because they didn't quite fit or were waaaayyyy over budget!
  • Options
    SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    @aricarai , so sorry that you're having to deal with a family situation so far away. Hope everything is ok. I agree with @cwaddell , the longer the deadline the more entries! :) Take care and Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    Howdy howdy! Thank you guys for your kind words and understanding; I really appreciate it!

I've updated the deadline:
    VzGQbXR.png
    SATURDAY February 10th 2018 at 11:59 PM GMT (Check Your Timezone)

I hope that bring in lots more people and chitter chatter! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Hugs <3@aricarai Hope you get everything worked out and things are back to normal soon. This lovely little contest will be just fine with the new deadline (as well as it would have with the old one).
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    yWEqcXq.png

MSiZ27I.png

Name/Link to Your Page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/cwaddell

Sim's Name: Alma Wilde

Link to Sim: Alma Wilde, household

Sim's Traits: loner, loves the outdoors, bookworm, artistic and angler

Biography/Backstory:
    Alma's mother, Louise, married an adventurer and spent most of Alma's young life off traveling the world with her husband. They left Alma to live with Louise's parents, Stephen and Martha Smith, in the big city. Stephen Smith had been a Boy Scout troop master since he was a young adult and although he was no longer as active in the organization he still had a great love for the outdoors. Many years ago when his son, Frank, had finished his military tour, Stephen bought an old run down cabin in Hidden Springs, about 2 hours drive from where they lived in the city. Stephen had Frank live there while they both started repairs, making the cabin more habitable. Stephen thought the peace and quite would help his son recover from the trauma he experienced in the war zone. They added a screened in porch that became a favorite spot in summer evenings as they listened to the cicadas and the frogs.

After the cabin was habitable Frank got a job in a nearby town and when he met and married a local girl he moved there. It was close enough so that he came regularly on the weekends to make sure everything was OK. And sometimes Stephen came for a week or two to work on things but mostly to spend some time outdoors.

When Alma first started living with her grandparents she had no toys so amused herself by drawing and making up stories about the pictures she drew. Her grandfather believed in the importance of reading so every evening he would read to her ( later she would read to him ) while her grandmother fixed diner. Her grandmother was an excellent cook and although Alma was not as good a cook as her grandmother she did know what good food tasted like.

During summer vacations and the holidays and on some weekends Alma would accompany her grandfather to the cabin. Sometimes her grandmother came too, but mostly she didn't like to leave the city and all her friends and social activities. When it was both her grandparents and her uncle Frank at the cabin Alma got to sleep in the sleeping loft. It was also a cozy spot to read and draw. But mostly Alma spent time outside with her grandpa fishing, sailing and hiking. He taught her about the various trees and wildflowers and mushrooms and fish and forest animals. Going to the cabin was always a highlight of the summer and spending time outside was magical.

So when her grandparents died it was no surprise to anyone in the family that they left the cabin to Alma. Alma was devastated by their passing and hoped by living there full time she could recapture some of that joy and contentment she had felt there in the past.

Pictures:

GGQLVdY.jpg

c2vEfJ1.jpg

qGLWOlo.jpg

Slideshow/Separate Thread Link: Alma Wilde thread

Additional Information:

favs: red, autumn salad and indie music

zodiac sign: aries

LTW: professional author

happiness rewards: observant

skills: athletic - 1, charisma - 1, cooking - 2, fishing - 2, handiness - 1, painting - 1, writing - 3
  • Options
    KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    (((HUGS))) @aricarai Sending you all my <3

@creativemetaphor @cwaddell Can I join your "Cabins that didn't make it" drive? I'm pretty sure I could add about 87 cabins to it :D
    I'm kinda glad @aricarai extended the deadline because at this rate, there is no way I could make the original. I can't build on a budget to save my life :D
  • Options
    @cwaddell We should start a 'Cabins that didn't make it' drive! :lol: All the designs we abandoned because they didn't quite fit or were waaaayyyy over budget!
    :D
    Kesminlix wrote: »
    (((HUGS))) @aricarai Sending you all my <3

@creativemetaphor @cwaddell Can I join your "Cabins that didn't make it" drive? I'm pretty sure I could add about 87 cabins to it :D
    I'm kinda glad @aricarai extended the deadline because at this rate, there is no way I could make the original. I can't build on a budget to save my life :D

Sure, I have more than one previous cabin to contribute too. :D

In my current, final version, I had to eliminate two love seats, one inside and one on the screened porch, and 4 bedside tables and their lamps. And I didn't add any paintings like I intended. I decided to just be content with what I had and not start another one since I'm still busy with RL and am psyched about a new Sims 3 game I started.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    yWEqcXq.png

i089Na1.png

Name/Link to Your Page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/cwaddell

Lot name: Wilde Cabin

Link to Your Lot: Wilde Cabin within budget

Final Price: $32,641 including its 30x40 lot

Description:
    This 2 bedroom, 1 bath cabin was uninhabitable many years ago when Stephen Smith bought it as a vacation cabin for his family. Over the years he and his son, Frank, repaired it and improved it, even adding a screened in porch. Later his granddaughter, Alma, spent much time with her grandpa here where he passed on his love of the outdoors and his love of books. Now Alma Wilde has inherited it and plans to live here full time writing her books and enjoying the beauty of her surroundings.

Pictures:
    UJHoDuq.jpg
    FFrV41R.jpg
    kzCfX9W.jpg
    k7mbQdJ.jpg

Separate Thread Link: Wilde Cabin Thread

Must have - At least 1 outdoor activity: Pond for fishing and ice skating

List of WANTS that you included in the home:
    - Space to entertain a small group of close friends
    - Open plan kitchen/living area
    - Hardwood floors throughout the main areas
    - Small plants included as part of the decor
    - Reading loft or nook
    - At least 2 items that fit their personality:
    1. fireplace for cozy reading on cold nights
    2. recycle bin and clothesline for keeping environment clean

Edit to Add
    Appliances upgraded:
    Self cleaning - kitchen sink, bathroom sink, toilet, tub/shower
    Unbreakable - washer, stereo, TV
    Fireproof - fireplace
    Improve meal quality - stove
    Post edited by cwaddell on
  • Options
    romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
    Ari! I do hope everything works itself out for the best!

I've already started downloading all the cabins as they come and started a new HS with them!

@cwaddell, I too had to slowly pick things to do away with to get under budget and no artwork either! There's like 3 things hanging on his walls!

I love watching to see what traits and zodiac signs everyone picks for the sims! Since Ari's sim description could well have been describing my sister-in-law I really had no choice as to the sign! It had to be hers! LOL

@cwaddell, I rec'd and downloaded your cabin when I saw it on the exchange! It's already in my game! There is so much room inside and I just love the french doors out to the porch!

Beautiful sim and great story! She has such a serious look on her face while sailing, I think she much prefers snowboarding! :)

• Options
    romagi1 wrote: »
    Ari! I do hope everything works itself out for the best!

I've already started downloading all the cabins as they come and started a new HS with them!

@cwaddell, I too had to slowly pick things to do away with to get under budget and no artwork either! There's like 3 things hanging on his walls!

I love watching to see what traits and zodiac signs everyone picks for the sims! Since Ari's sim description could well have been describing my sister-in-law I really had no choice as to the sign! It had to be hers! LOL

@cwaddell, I rec'd and downloaded your cabin when I saw it on the exchange! It's already in my game! There is so much room inside and I just love the french doors out to the porch!

Beautiful sim and great story! She has such a serious look on her face while sailing, I think she much prefers snowboarding! :)

Thanks, :) If we only could spend as much as we wanted :D

Devon is very attractive and I love your cabin, especially your screened in porch. When I had this blank wall on the side of my new cabin design your screened in porch is probably why I even thought to place one there. Although a deck like the terrific one @suzses showed would be very nice too. :)
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Nice idea to squeeze in a loft for a reading nook! Love the cabin and the sim.
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    How I wish I hadn't gotten behind with commenting here. There's so much to love.

@ciane Love the old-fashioned vibe of your cabin and its grandma-ish decor. The big front porch and shuttered windows make me think of the lake "cottage" my family often visited when I was a child. I was, in fact, influenced to go in that direction for a while, but, well, my mind takes off other places without consulting me sometimes. I really liked how you CASt'd the ladder to the upstairs to appear to be built into the downstairs wall, and Cliff's story is very sweet.

@Hidehi Love your dark log and stone sided cabin with it's clever name. The colors make it look as though it is well aged. I very much enjoyed the cozy scenes around the firepit, and in your winter shot, the entry with its holiday lights and icicles hanging from the roof edges is very inviting - makes me want to run right in out of the cold to find a toasty spot inside. I love Great Bear, and your cabin fits in just perfectly in that environment (my cabin ended up there, too, although it wasn't yet (obviously) in the preview pic I've shared).

I was going to confine myself to just commenting on actual entries so I can actually catch up, but, well, that's not going to happen apparently. I just have to pause and say @Ondasta that I love your sim and the picture of him you shared in the leaves. I feel as though he's someone I've met. And your night-time cabin shot is so beautiful with the outdoor lighting and the well-lit arched window wall. I want to go there.

@creativemetaphor Everything you've done is perfect for Aurora Skies. Love your sim, her style, the cabin, your backstory, and especially the lot name. It makes me chuckle every time I think of it. You've done a great job of finding your theme and sticking with it (I'm jealous, of course ;) ). The raven is a great touch, too.

I'll try to catch up with everyone/everything else tomorrow or in the next few days. In the meantime, I'll be doing some well-deserved recc'ing, and I think I, too, will start downloading. I can just see Hidden Springs and Great Bear - and maybe a couple other worlds I have - filled up with all these great cabins and sims. I think it would be a fun time to put them all together and see what happens.

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread